• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korea's Kim Jong-un crosses into South Korea (UPDATE: Korean War Declared Over; joint statement)

Look how hard people pushed for Obama... He won the peace prize on a day when he ordered thousands of troops to war with Afghanistan. This is the guy that ordered more drone strikes and missile attacks than any other president ever... Still got the peace prize. Its pretty obvious on both sides although (I can't believe it but) Trump 'deserves' it more IMO.

And the Iran Deal?

The Iran deal involved giving Iran billions of dollars in return for Iran having its nuclear fuel overseen by Russia. That's no deal.

That said Iran has done nothing wrong. Israel should just back off, that includes the Israeli lobby in Washington.

There are murmurs of McDonalds being possible in North Korea. But Trump has not yet decided where the meeting will take place, there are 5 possible sites.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Well, looks like the Iran deal is about to fall apart. There goes the last of Obama's diplomatic "accomplishments".

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Look how hard people pushed for Obama... He won the peace prize on a day when he ordered thousands of troops to war with Afghanistan. This is the guy that ordered more drone strikes and missile attacks than any other president ever... Still got the peace prize. Its pretty obvious on both sides although (I can't believe it but) Trump 'deserves' it more IMO.

Do you even know why he was given the Nobel Peace Prize?

Well, looks like the Iran deal is about to fall apart. There goes the last of Obama's diplomatic "accomplishments".

That's not correct at all!

Washington (CNN)A one-letter mistake on an official White House statement led to consternation and questions about official US policy toward Iran on Monday, and a quiet correction did little to quell the matter.
In the written statement sent to reporters around 7:30 p.m. ET, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders declared that newly unveiled Israeli intelligence proved "Iran has a robust, clandestine nuclear weapons program."
The declaration flew in the face of American intelligence determinations, which found Tehran froze its program following the Obama-era agreement to lift sanctions in exchange for curtailing its nuclear ambitions
By 9:30 p.m. ET, the statement appeared differently online.

"Iran had a robust, clandestine nuclear weapons program," the online version read, reiterating a long-established US position.
The White House did not issue a formal correction, but did offer an explanation.
"The original White House statement included a clerical error, which we quickly detected and fixed," a National Security Council spokesman told CNN Tuesday. "To be clear, the United States has long known that Iran had a robust, clandestine nuclear weapons program."
The snafu came after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu dramatically presented on Monday a hoard of Iranian documents that he said proved the regime lied about its pursuit of nuclear weapons.
But analysts shrugged, saying Netanyahu's hour-long presentation in English offered little new information about Iran's program

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/01/politics/trump-iran-typo/index.html

So again the Iran deal hasn't fallen apart. And are we going to act like the whole Cuba thing didn't happen also right?

Last edited:

dolabla

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/may/2/north-korea-releases-us-detainees-bows-another-tru/

North Korea has freed three U.S. citizens detained for years in the communist country, bowing to another demand of President Trump ahead of his planned meeting with Kim Jong-un.

The three Americans — Kim Dong Chul, Kim Hak-song and Kim Sang Duk, also known as Tony Kim — were released from a North Korean labor camp and sent to Pyongyang for medical treatment, the Financial Times reported.

Though out of the brutal labor camp, the men remain in the grasp of Mr. Kim’s regime.

They currently are believed to be convalescing in a hotel outside Pyongyang.

“We believe that Mr. Trump can take them back on the day of the U.S.-North Korea summit, or he can send an envoy to take them back to the U.S. before the summit,” said Choi Sung-ryong, an activist pursuing release of North Korea’s political prisoners.

The release of the three Americans marked another significant victory for the Trump administration, which also won North Korea’s agreement to discuss giving up its nuclear weapon program as a prerequisite for the talks.

National Security Adviser John R. Bolton had called for the release of the detainees, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo reportedly raised the issue during secret face-to-face talks with Mr. Kim last month in Pyongyang.

Kim Hak-song and Kim Sang Duk worked at the Pyongyang University of Science and Technology. Kim Dong Chul is the president of a company involved in international trade and hotel services. He was sentenced to 10 years on espionage charges.

bucyou

(CNN)The release of three US nationals currently detained in North Korea is "imminent," according to an official with knowledge of the ongoing negotiations.
The official told CNN the North Koreans made the decision to free the Americans two months ago, and that North Korea's Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho had proposed their release during his visit to Sweden in March.
US officials insisted at the time that their release "must not be related or used to loosen the main issue of denuclearization," the source said.
The three Americans held are Kim Dong Chol, Kim Hak-song and Kim Sang Duk, also known as Tony Kim.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/02/asia/north-korea-americans-detained-intl/index.html

different report stating they were moved to a hotel, will be released anytime now

thanks trump

FaithfulThirstyBustard-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:

NickFire

Trump has done more for world peace in 15 months than the last two did over 16 years. And he has made a fool of the elites every step of the way. My condolences to all the naysayers. It must be really hard to realize how frikkan stupid they have been with respect to foreign affairs. Can’t even imagine spending years smelling my farts while believing that strong condemnations and strategically patient talks (or no talks at all) would make a tyrant change his ways, only to learn that to really get things done you just need balls. As is the balls to say fine, if you want to go this route we will destroy you, but if you cut the shit we can help you join the 21st centuries economy.

bucyou

U.S. intelligence says the North Koreans have started pulling cables from the tunnels at their nuclear test site -- a first step toward closing them down, CBS News' national security correspondent David Martin reports. North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has vowed to shut down the country's nuclear test site in May, Seoul's presidential office said on Sunday.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/north-korea-starts-pulling-cables-from-tunnels-at-nuclear-test-site/

MOVING AT BREAKNECK PACE!

KINGMOKU

This is just incredible. Absolutely incredible. First the 3 Americans, and now this.

Breakneck pace indeed. I mean it sounded great when we all started hearing about this, and I was hopefully but what's happening now is just shocking.

My question is this;

Is what's happening right now a complete indictment on at least the last 4 presidents foreign policies in dealing with N. Korea?

I mean I knew something was going to give when an American president truly flexed the sheer economic and military might but this kind of capitulation is unreal.

This is almost a surrender of sorts. The only thing missing so far is a 4 star general, a navy ship, and a pen.

TrainedRage

Banned
Wow..............
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/may/2/north-korea-releases-us-detainees-bows-another-tru/
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/02/asia/north-korea-americans-detained-intl/index.html

North Korea has freed three U.S. citizens detained for years in the communist country, bowing to another demand of President Trump ahead of his planned meeting with Kim Jong-un.

The three Americans — Kim Dong Chul, Kim Hak-song and Kim Sang Duk, also known as Tony Kim — were released from a North Korean labor camp and sent to Pyongyang for medical treatment, the Financial Times reported.

Though out of the brutal labor camp, the men remain in the grasp of Mr. Kim’s regime.

They currently are believed to be convalescing in a hotel outside Pyongyang.

“We believe that Mr. Trump can take them back on the day of the U.S.-North Korea summit, or he can send an envoy to take them back to the U.S. before the summit,” said Choi Sung-ryong, an activist pursuing release of North Korea’s political prisoners.

The release of the three Americans marked another significant victory for the Trump administration, which also won North Korea’s agreement to discuss giving up its nuclear weapon program as a prerequisite for the talks.

National Security Adviser John R. Bolton had called for the release of the detainees, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo reportedly raised the issue during secret face-to-face talks with Mr. Kim last month in Pyongyang.

Kim Hak-song and Kim Sang Duk worked at the Pyongyang University of Science and Technology. Kim Dong Chul is the president of a company involved in international trade and hotel services. He was sentenced to 10 years on espionage charges.

NickFire

This is just incredible. Absolutely incredible. First the 3 Americans, and now this.

Breakneck pace indeed. I mean it sounded great when we all started hearing about this, and I was hopefully but what's happening now is just shocking.

My question is this;

Is what's happening right now a complete indictment on at least the last 4 presidents foreign policies in dealing with N. Korea?

I mean I knew something was going to give when an American president truly flexed the sheer economic and military might but this kind of capitulation is unreal.

This is almost a surrender of sorts. The only thing missing so far is a 4 star general, a navy ship, and a pen.
Holy shit indeed. I spend a few minutes in a different thread after my last post in this, and there’s already a new positive development.

To answer your question, damn right it’s an indictment on the prior administrations. Also an indictment of a hell of a lot more people than that. Including without limitation the know it alls who piss on common sense every chance they have to try showing us how much smarter they are than everyone else. Trumps strategy is not revolutionary. It’s pure common sense.

cryptoadam

Banned

My question is this;

I think its on Un and Moon. You have 2 leaders that want to move forward and end the Korean war.

Trump should get some credit being the president of the US and nothing will happen in the Korean peninsula without US oversight.

I think Un realisez there isn't a place in the world for his father/grandfathers outdated philosphies. He also sees that he can be a tyrant, a rich one, but still bring his country into the global arena. Look at China. It is a horrible tyranical regime that controls the lives of its people and spy's on them intensly. But they moved the economy forward and gave the people small freedoms. No one bothers China about its human rights record. Heck even leftist praise China.

Un can make a mini china, where like Xi he can be president for life. Control his peoples lives and spy on them 24/7. Just move the economy forward and build a middle class and no one will really care that Un is dictator for life.

NickFire

Yesterday or today the NK and SK ping pong teams declined to play each other in semi finals, and instead asked to play together in the finals. Might seem trivial, but to me its more evidence that the people of NK and its leaders (who must have approved this) want peace to happen.

Because he gave lip service to peace while droning wedding parties?

Trump is using drones, so I guess he can't get it then. Trumps contribution I think are the increased sanctions and making China think that he'd actually go into war, thus cooperating. NK's response was to create a nuke no matter what, apparently.

Cleared_Hot

I think its on Un and Moon. You have 2 leaders that want to move forward and end the Korean war.

Trump should get some credit being the president of the US and nothing will happen in the Korean peninsula without US oversight.

I think Un realisez there isn't a place in the world for his father/grandfathers outdated philosphies. He also sees that he can be a tyrant, a rich one, but still bring his country into the global arena. Look at China. It is a horrible tyranical regime that controls the lives of its people and spy's on them intensly. But they moved the economy forward and gave the people small freedoms. No one bothers China about its human rights record. Heck even leftist praise China.

Un can make a mini china, where like Xi he can be president for life. Control his peoples lives and spy on them 24/7. Just move the economy forward and build a middle class and no one will really care that Un is dictator for life.

Sounds like you're imagining a whole lot. It wasnt until just very recently that Un suddenly wants to end the war, etc. He was threatening total destruction and death left and right up until just a matter of weeks ago. You come off as a person very uncomfortable saying something positive about Trump. If Moon himself says Trump derserve credit and the peace prize, you can't say he only deserves "some" credit. This 100% would not be happening if he wasn't involved. You literally think the only reason he deserves credit is simply because he is the US President... come on man, lighten up, read what they're saying, connect the dots.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

North Korea says denuclearization pledge not result of U.S.-led sanctions

"North Korea said on Sunday its intention to denuclearize, unveiled at a historic inter-Korean summit, was not the result of U.S.-led sanctions and pressure, warning the United States not to mislead public opinion."

I was on the fence before, but if North Korean propaganda is saying it wasn't a result of the pressure...Now I think it definitely was.

Look at how wide the news of that message already went, me thinks they're trying to play a domestic US audience. This coming from a very not-Trumper.

Last edited:
Bragaddacio didn't do anything because they wanted the nukes no matter what, but pressuring China to add sanctions and etc hurt them bigly. They gave up nukes as soon as they got them.

The country’s state news agency said the U.S. was “misleading public opinion” by claiming that the commitment to denuclearize was caused by American sanctions and other actions, according to Reuters.

“This act cannot be construed otherwise than a dangerous attempt to ruin the hardly-won atmosphere of dialogue and bring the situation back to square one,” a foreign ministry spokesman said, state media reported.

The spokesman also reportedly warned the US to not “deliberately provoke” North Korea by raising human rights issues in the country.

cryptoadam

Banned
Sounds like you're imagining a whole lot. It wasnt until just very recently that Un suddenly wants to end the war, etc. He was threatening total destruction and death left and right up until just a matter of weeks ago. You come off as a person very uncomfortable saying something positive about Trump. If Moon himself says Trump derserve credit and the peace prize, you can't say he only deserves "some" credit. This 100% would not be happening if he wasn't involved. You literally think the only reason he deserves credit is simply because he is the US President... come on man, lighten up, read what they're saying, connect the dots.

I have no problem giving Trump credit. I give him also big credit for moving the embassy and stopping funding to UNWRA. And BTW I am not American so where I stand on Trump doesn't really matter. I think he has done some good and some bad but he isn't the monster the left makes him out to be.

I just think this is Un realizing he needs to bring his country into the 21st century and the -ism of his dad and grandfather isn't really relevant today. He can still be a crazy dictator AND bring his country into the global economy. In reality the US is never going to invade North Korea with the cold war over. They don't care about communist governments anymore. Its all about being pro-west and pro-business.

W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how CNN will spin this.

This spin has always been, and always will be that anyone and everyone but President Trump is responsible.

North Korea, South Korea, and China could all come out with lavish praise for the President and personally thank him for making this deal happen and CNN will figure out a way to give someone else credit.

Airola

This spin has always been, and always will be that anyone and everyone but President Trump is responsible.

North Korea, South Korea, and China could all come out with lavish praise for the President and personally thank him for making this deal happen and CNN will figure out a way to give someone else credit.

When South Korea thanks Trump, it's "they are lying and just trying to please Trump's ego."
When North Korea doesn't thank Trump, it's "they're telling the truth."

When South Korea thanks Trump, it's "they are lying and just trying to please Trump's ego."
When North Korea doesn't thank Trump, it's "they're telling the truth."

When South Korea thanks Trump, it's "they are telling the truth that he deserves credit". When North Korea doesn't thank Trump, it's "we're gonna ignore this shit and rant about the lefts double standards."

A dog barks.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigedole

When South Korea thanks Trump, it's "they are telling the truth that he deserves credit". When North Korea doesn't thank Trump, it's "we're gonna ignore this shit and rant about the lefts double standards."

A dog barks.

If you had to pick between SK and NK for who to trust/believe, who would you pick?

Like, seriously....

Xiaoki

If you had to pick between SK and NK for who to trust/believe, who would you pick?

Like, seriously....
Do you mean the South Korea that just a year ago saw the arrest of the President of South Korea, the President's best friend that was the daughter of a cult leader and the head of Samsung for corruption, bribery and abuse of power?

No, Im sure you mean some other South Korea.

Airola

A dog barks.

So you are seriously lumping North and South Korea together in trustworthiness?

Do you mean the South Korea that just a year ago saw the arrest of the President of South Korea, the President's best friend that was the daughter of a cult leader and the head of Samsung for corruption, bribery and abuse of power?

No, Im sure you mean some other South Korea.

That's nowhere near the insanity North Korea has been in for decades. Just a year ago Kim Jong-un and the whole regime was seen as complete lunatics and Kim was nothing more than an evil tyrant. I guess it takes Trump to make people say "actually North Korea isn't that bad and untrustworthy because South Korea is bad too." That's how much people hate Trump. They are willing to go through series of mental hoops to make themselves continue believing that absolutely nothing good can come out of that guy and everything he does must come from evil place.

bucyou

CNN Breaking news states the 3 us citizens imprisoned in NK are on their way home w/ sec of state pompeo

So you are seriously lumping North and South Korea together in trustworthiness?

That's nowhere near the insanity North Korea has been in for decades. Just a year ago Kim Jong-un and the whole regime was seen as complete lunatics and Kim was nothing more than an evil tyrant. I guess it takes Trump to make people say "actually North Korea isn't that bad and untrustworthy because South Korea is bad too." That's how much people hate Trump. They are willing to go through series of mental hoops to make themselves continue believing that absolutely nothing good can come out of that guy and everything he does must come from evil place.

You're going through mental hoops right now. If you believe South Korea, you must believe North Korea. But in reality credit doesn't matter, this situation is deeper than mere posturing.

Last edited by a moderator:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/north-korea-says-u-s-ruining-mood-detente-ahead-summit-n871696
"Pyongyang on Sunday criticized what it called “misleading” claims that Trump’s policy of maximum political pressure and sanctions are what drove the North to the negotiating table."

But, Im sure some people here will spin this in Trump's favor.

The sad part is I actually agree with NK on this one. It's clear that regime change in South Korea and getting China involved is the major reason why this is happening. But as Americans, we will take most of the credit for everything that happens on this planet if we have even 10% involvement.

I mean we even call our President the "Leader of the Free World" for christ sake. It's so annoying. :-/

Airola

You're going through mental hoops right now. If you believe South Korea, you must believe North Korea.

And if you believe North Korea, you must believe South Korea. That logic goes both ways. But the thing is that they both say conflicting things.

I'm not saying anyone should say it's solely because of Trump and the USA this happened. There are several sides responsible for it all: South Korea, North Korea, China and USA.
All I'm saying is that people are way too eager to dismiss claims by South Korea in favor of claims by North Korea.

The article says:
"Pyongyang claims Kim himself is the driver of the current situation."
Does anyone believe that is the case?

I do agree with them saying that bragging about the US influence is hurting the mood, though. There is a certain amount of new goodwill that has been raised and a nice mood of promising future, but talking about who had the most influence can hurt that mood really bad.

And of course Trump himself took it overboard by first being honest and respectful about it before suddenly hyperboling it up to high heavens in the same sentence.
I mean, it's ok to say "he gives us tremendous credit" as that is a fact, but Trump managed to continue that sentence with "he gives us all the credit" which is not true and that doesn't help things at all.

But in reality credit doesn't matter, this situation is deeper than mere posturing.

I agree. There is no reason to deny credit though. That doesn't help anything.
But yeah, we all should first and foremost be glad that progress is happening. Everything can still go south quickly and the future meeting with Trump and Kim is both exciting but also something to be nervous about.

Cleared_Hot

I have no problem giving Trump credit. I give him also big credit for moving the embassy and stopping funding to UNWRA. And BTW I am not American so where I stand on Trump doesn't really matter. I think he has done some good and some bad but he isn't the monster the left makes him out to be.

I just think this is Un realizing he needs to bring his country into the 21st century and the -ism of his dad and grandfather isn't really relevant today. He can still be a crazy dictator AND bring his country into the global economy. In reality the US is never going to invade North Korea with the cold war over. They don't care about communist governments anymore. Its all about being pro-west and pro-business.
Well said! I see what you mean.that being said, you can bet your ass we would go to war with them, I spent the last three years in PACAF training for it. It's not about communism, it was about stopping a major threat.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Well said! I see what you mean.that being said, you can bet your ass we would go to war with them, I spent the last three years in PACAF training for it. It's not about communism, it was about stopping a major threat.

I mean invade in the sense that NK uses it as a pretext for all their intransigence, nukes, and propaganda. If NK was a normal sane country the US would have no reason to even think about invading them. Of course if they start a nuclear war/attack Japan/SK the US will respond.

NK has been using the US boogeyman for decades to keep its people under its thumb, but its all BS and only exsist because of the leaders of NK. Their fear of US invasion is a self fulfilling prophecy. US will invade, only due to nukes, so NK develops nukes to stop US invasion. Talk about Orwellian train of thought from NK.

Top Bottom