• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2016 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes Tuesday, December 6th

RexNovis

Banned
The annual Adobe Black Friday spending report cites Xbox as the 5th most popular electronic device online on Black Friday

The five top selling electronic products on Black Friday were Apple iPads, Samsung 4k TVs, Apple MacBook Air, LG TVs and Microsoft Xbox.

so it looks like XB1 likely took Black Friday this year but

For the entire season so far (Nov. 1 – 24), PlayStation 4 is the best-selling video game console, followed by Microsoft Xbox One.

PS4 seems to have come out on top for the month as a whole up until the holiday weekend so it could go either way depending on the sales gap between XB1 and PS4 on BF.

Also of note is a sharp increase in percent of total consumer spending online compared to the previous year.

More than $5 billion ($5.27 billion) was spent online by the end of Black Friday, a 17.7 percent increase year-over-year (YoY).

ethomaz

Banned
The annual Adobe Black Friday spending report cites Xbox as the 5th most popular electronic device online on Black Friday

so it looks like XB1 likely took Black Friday this year but

PS4 seems to have come out on top for the month as a whole up until the holiday weekend so it could go either way depending on the sales gap between XB1 and PS4 on BF.

Also of note is a sharp increase in percent of total consumer spending online compared to the previous year.
From you link...

CYBER MONDAY 2016 IS LARGEST ONLINE SALES DAY IN HISTORY WITH $3.39 BILLION

http://www.i4u.com/2016/11/118242/cyber-monday-2016-largest-online-sales-day-history-339-billion

watdaeff4

I'm not smart enough to make predictions, but good for Sony as they will likely "win" Nov. in the US.

For all the crap they got about bundling in the US, the Slim bundles in Gamestop and BB (UC4+R&C or tLoU) was better than the XB1s bundles IMO. Add in the 2-3 months of Pro pre-orders and they should win easily.

I would imagine they will drop their CoD bundle in Dec just like last year and take Dec as well.

Claire won't give out November numbers until January. We will get November and December at the same time.

That's interesting, did she say why?

Elandyll

Banned
I agree that PS4 took Cyber Monday but unfortunately it does not counted for the November NPD (November 2016 retail period October 30-November 26, 2016).
? I didn't say Cyber Monday counts for November NPD though...
Edit: Specified "month of November" for edit.
Again, just online estimate.

orfax

[3DS] 660K
[PS4] 1520K
[WIU] 210K
[XB1] 1310K

I was going to give the xbone the win for this month, but as the Adobe report seems to indicate the PS4 took the month, I revised my initial predication. Perhaps the Pro was enough to give the PS4 the win.

The 3DS figure is an interesting one, with the new Pokemon I expect it to be higher than previous years, but the last Pokemon release (Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby) only saw just over 500K 3DS sold in November. Given that Sun and Moon released a little earlier, and 3DS price of $100, I feel its going to do a little better than that.

sirronoh

[3DS] 590K
[PS4] 1490K
[WIU] 190K
[XB1] 1234K

Xbox apparently won Black Friday online but I don't think they won the day overall.

Javin98

Banned
I'm probably going to edit this again, but just to get it out of my head.

[PS4] 1460K
[XB1] 1280K
[WIU] 180K
[3DS] 750K

Elios83

Yeah, MS will speak tomorrow (Friday at latest) and Sony will say something at PSX.

That's assuming they want to talk about it :D
Sony is probably only interested about announcing when the PS4 sell through passes the 50m mark worldwide and Microsoft has already issued a PR about "strong" BF sales, unless they want to celebrate some victory or the fact their sales are up yoy they might not even want to say anything else.
We'll see by the end of this week.

That's assuming they want to talk about it :D
Sony is probably only interested about announcing when the PS4 sell through passes the 50m mark worldwide and Microsoft has already issued a PR about "strong" BF sales, unless they want to celebrate some victory or the fact their sales are up yoy they might not even want to say anything else.
We'll see by the end of this week.
Agreed.

ethomaz

Banned
I assumed good sales through Black Friday. Maybe they prefer to keep quiet this year.
They already said that.

"Strong sales on Black Friday for Xbox family" - something like that.

I guess they will only make another PR if they can grab about "record", "up" or "best".

I prefer they stop doing the "We were the highest selling console in this month thing" both from Sony and MS. It just seems to pander in the realm of fanboy culture. I get it's all about brand building, but something more general and consumer oriented like "A strong month of PS4 sales for December, we couldn't be here without you great fans, PS thanks you!"
And then, next month, don't say anything. Then do something on the 50 million mark, then the 60, then PSN numbers reaching a milestone, a huge software month, a good game receiving high remarks or selling multiple-milllions of units, etc...

My take anyway

N.Domixis

Banned
I'll give till tomorrow, to predict. If they won they should have mentioned it by now. They are always fast to say the are number 1.

ethomaz

Banned
I prefer they stop doing the "We were the highest selling console in this month thing" both from Sony and MS. It just seems to pander in the realm of fanboy culture. I get it's all about brand building, but something more general and consumer oriented like "A strong month of PS4 sales for December, we couldn't be here without you great fans, PS thanks you!"
And then, next month, don't say anything. Then do something on the 50 million mark, then the 60, then PSN numbers reaching a milestone, a huge software month, a good game receiving high remarks or selling multiple-milllions of units, etc...

My take anyway
So when you win a running you don't want anybody talking or you won't even show in the podium to receive your prize or congratulations???

Sorry but I can't see that as being reasonable.

There are honor, merit and accomplishment being number one.

You can't just want hide that because some people will be salty or jealous... it is your moment, not their.

So when you win a running you don't want anybody talking or you won't even show in the podium to receive your prize or congratulations???

Sorry but I can't see that as being reasonable.

There are honor, merit and accomplishment being number one.

You can't just want hide that because some people will be salty or jealous... it is your moment, not their.

Every month is overkill...That's what I'm saying. If PS4 wins 5-6 times in a row, maybe 4 of those times you don't mention you were the number one selling console? Particularly if you won by 10K units.

Welfare

Every month is overkill...That's what I'm saying. If PS4 wins 5-6 times in a row, maybe 4 of those times you don't mention you were the number one selling console? Particularly if you won by 10K units.

Well if you say you won for 4 months, won months 5-8 but say nothing, everyone will just think you either didn't win or it was too close to call. Sony losses nothing from saying they won and not specify by how much. To everyone not on GAF, they just know PS4 won.

Welfare

http://blog.infoscout.co/playstation-takes-the-shelf-xbox-wins-the-browser/?platform=hootsuite

Based on over 1,500 console purchases

bm.gif

Online.gif

Top Bottom