• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: OoT 3D]

ezekial45

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
Those Deus Ex sales do not seem very good at all.

That was just from 7-8 days of sales. It's a very solid start. Especially from a game that hasn't been out for a awhile, and is pretty largely unknown for the console crowd.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
angular graphics said:
Agreed. For example when Portal 2 was launched it had 90k concurrent players on Steam.
Recently we discovered the PC version of Portal 2 must have sold ~1M.

But if we followed the x10 formula that would mean there were 900k million Steam copies sold in the very the first week, not months later.

So obviously there's no magic formula to make estimations of how many Steam copies of a game have been sold.
due to it outselling both consoles put together, it must have sold atleast 1.5m on pc. 900k on launch and 600k+ in the tail sounds about right.

CHARTZ!

watershed

Banned
A Human Becoming said:
YTD

DS 2,518,732
360 3,008,214
PS3 2,060,948
Wii 2,124,870
3DS 1,157,000

LTD

DS 49,823,483
360 28,403,373
PS3 17,522,921
Wii 36,274,494
3DS 1,157,000
Thanks for these. Interesting to see the YTD numbers. I wonder if the 3ds will catch the ds by year's end? Probably not I'm guessing.

Tiktaalik

ezekial45 said:
That was just from 7-8 days of sales.

Yeah I just noticed that upon reading the last page. That's not that too bad then. I actually feel that Deus Ex was a bit off the radar. From my friends at least there were a lot of folks who weren't really following the title but everyone bought it based on the stellar reviews and great word of mouth.

edit: SE should keep pushing this with followup advertising throughout the autumn and try to capitalize on word of mouth.

artwalknoon said:
Thanks for these. Interesting to see the YTD numbers. I wonder if the 3ds will catch the ds by year's end? Probably not I'm guessing.

The Holidays generally provide a fairly large boost, and with the 3DS now eating DS sales, there is certainly a chance.

antonz

artwalknoon said:
Hard to say handheld sales usually explode massively at the end of the year and With Mario,Mario Kart etc exclusive to the 3DS its gonna move units

Mikey Jr.

If we were back to the old NPD, it would probably look like this.

01. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (360) - 130k

130k at the top is pretty depressing overall, not just for the game. 244k lessens the blow.

Those of you posting that the Deus Ex numbers are only for five days, don't worry... it will be better next month, do you think September's numbers will be better? I don't. (Steam excluded, as is this months number).

jvm said:
You did see what EviLore said about leaks, right?
I thought rounding the number was allowed? ;)

Derrick01

Banned
Deus Ex sales are fine for 5 days. It was a beast on Steam, you don't get to 56k concurrent users and overthrowing everything but Team Fortress 2 without selling a shit ton.

FrankT

Mikey Jr. said:
If we were back to the old NPD, it would probably look like this.

01. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (360) - 130k

130k at the top is pretty depressing overall, not just for the game. 244k lessens the blow.

So horrible lol. Anyhow 360 will likely be down YoY every month for the rest of the year without a price drop if the last two months are any indication. That versus the slim release last year. Sept could be particuarly bad comparison. At least they have pushed some solid numbers on the first half.

watershed

Banned
antonz said:
Hard to say handheld sales usually explode massively at the end of the year and With Mario,Mario Kart etc exclusive to the 3DS its gonna move units
Yeah that's what I was thinking about too. Its interesting to imagine the entire ds series competing with the 3ds. The 3ds will certainly have bigger titles this holiday, but I wonder what the holiday deals will look like. 1 million units is pretty big gap to make up.

artwalknoon said:
Yeah that's what I was thinking about too. Its interesting to imagine the entire ds series competing with the 3ds. The 3ds will certainly have bigger titles this holiday, but I wonder what the holiday deals will look like. 1 million units is pretty big gap to make up.

I think we're going to see some good Black Friday deals on the 3DS.
Either free games or like $25 giftcards.

ZoddGutts

Derrick01 said:
Deus Ex sales are fine for 5 days. It was a beast on Steam, you don't get to 56k concurrent users and overthrowing everything but Team Fortress 2 without selling a shit ton.

It's been selling well all over Europe as well.

Lynn616 said:
It is done the same way for both the PS3 and the 360. Why would one count and the other not? If it is scanned at checkout then it is being counted.
That's what a lot of people assumed a couple months ago, but no one was sure until there was a confirmation by Pachter, but anyway enough talk about that deal.

ghst said:
did you know red orchestra 2 has had more pre-orders than bf3 and mw3 combined?

it's true, i extrapolated it!

Pffft, that's nothing, wait until you see the preorder numbers for Shattered Horizon 2, which is secretly in development ;)

I can definitely see the 3DS getting DS style boost with Mario Kart, with 450k at least sold in december. There are no games so people aren't exactly rushing to buy it

Himself said:
I wonder how El Shaddai did.

it descended to the metabin

seinfield.gif

Derrick01

Banned
ZoddGutts said:
It's been selling well all over Europe as well.

Yeah I noticed that when I took a peak at the gaf thread. It was #1 in almost every european country that was being tracked. It will probably break a couple million in the next year.

watershed

Banned
AceBandage said:
I think we're going to see some good Black Friday deals on the 3DS.
Either free games or like $25 giftcards.
Yeah your probably right but what will the ds sales be? If this is the ds' last hurrah I think retailers will want to move as much stock as possible especially ds software so that could influence what the sales/promotions look like.

overcast

Deus Ex did alright. I'm sure it did well on steam. Now I need to get a copy.

Hopefully numbers pick up in september. Gears and Madden will be included.

antonz

artwalknoon said:
Yeah your probably right but what will the ds sales be? If this is the ds' last hurrah I think retailers will want to move as much stock as possible especially ds software so that could influence what the sales/promotions look like.
I could see Nintendo delibertly killing shipment totals as time goes with less and less coming in from the DSi family.

antonz said:
I could see Nintendo delibertly killing shipment totals as time goes with less and less coming in from the DSi family.

What they should do is tell retailers to not do anything special with the DS/i this Holiday, then do a massive clearance next March. Leaving just the XL as the only DS left.

Elios83

Imo Deus Ex did well, less than a week of sales, the title will continue to sell for the rest of the year and in Europe it's performing really well.

Kusagari

What did people seriously expect from Deus Ex? It's almost completely unknown to the console crowd and I don't think the advertising for it was anywhere near as great as, for example, Fallout 3.

Top Bottom