• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: OoT 3D]

Nice increase by the 3DS, but it could have been even bigger if not for the DS. Nintendo definitely has to leave it behind to fully get the 3DS going.

pramath

Banned
MidnightCowboy said:
Nice increase by the 3DS, but it could have been even bigger if not for the DS. Nintendo definitely has to leave it behind to fully get the 3DS going.
I see a repeat of the GBA/DS situation here.
Or the PS2/PS3 situation, I think that analogy fits this context better.

antonz said:
I dont think they outright lie they do the Obi Wan kenobi from a certain point of view thing. Say Bundle A is nearly sold out while Bundle B,C,D are in plenty supply. They can say from a certain point of view that there is a supply constraint because Bundle A is limited.
It looks like they are just talking about PS3 hardware though.
Puppet Shadow said:
Laptop promo was last summer, Bravia deal was earlier this year. When you look at how the PS3 did in those months, it really didn't make that much of an impact, I'd guess less than 15,000.

Found you a video that explains the impact:
PS3 launches at Bravia TV
I didn't see an answer to my question (I never do actually) but is there a confirmation these PS3s were counted in sales.

Duxxy3 said:
$80 price drop and it didn't even hit 250k

3DS is dead as doornail in this country. Looks like all it did was eat away from the DS market.

PS3 sales were a bit lower than i expected but i wasn't expecting a huge bump with such a small price cut.

Gaming is dead. Second place selling console this month is dead which makes everything else below it rotting in the ground, and 360 obviously barely has its head above water.

...right?

fernoca

Duxxy3 said:
$80 price drop and it didn't even hit 250k

3DS is dead as doornail in this country. Looks like all it did was eat away from the DS market.

PS3 sales were a bit lower than i expected but i wasn't expecting a huge bump with such a small price cut.
Is 250k the magical number or something? :p
Or did you forgot that it sold under 114k in July. So the price reduction translated into twice the sales over last month. And with the usual excuse of "no games".

Also keeping in mind that the new price became effective on August 12. 15 days of this NPD.

Wiseblood said:
Which of course would be a huge win for the PS3 because the index ratio is only 1.5 instead of the usual 1.9 for shooters.
Hahaha.. XD

statham

so the ps3 is $50 cheaper with free online, bluray and more 1st party games, 360 out a year longer with lesser tech. and still struggles... time for the PS4 I say.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Wiseblood said:
Which of course would be a huge win for the PS3 because the index ratio is only 1.5 instead of the usual 1.9 for shooters.

Going for the jugular.

3DS did pretty well for itself, but next month will be interesting. Still no big new games for it coming out (I'm not expecting much for Star Fox). But we'll see if the price cut itself has legs.

Had to laugh at Sony's shortage of people wanting to buy PS3s at that price right now

Still, the summer months have the weirdest looking Top 10s.

Great job Deus Ex, I think!

upJTboogie said:
It looks like they are just talking about PS3 hardware though.
I didn't see an answer to my question (I never do actually) but is there a confirmation these PS3s were counted in sales.
Well, they were rung up the same way at Best Buy's the same way the 360 offer is. Both items scanned in at full price, then the discount is automatically applied. Stores have to do it this way to keep track of inventory. I don't think the NPD has commented officially on either the PS3 or Xbox offers being counted, I think the only info we have is a throw away remark by Pachter that the 360 one is (he never commented on the PS3 offer). Hopefully someone else has more info than this, or can correct me if I'm wrong.

06nbarnhill said:
Gaming is dead. Second place selling console this month is dead which makes everything else below it rotting in the ground, and 360 obviously barely has its head above water.

...right?
Pretty much. Always amusing to see someone post X Console sold like shit, kill it... it's dead! (sold 300,000), but hey, looks like Y console isn't doing too bad, All right! (sold 200,000)'.

vall03

pramath said:
I see a repeat of the GBA/DS situation here.
Or the PS2/PS3 situation, I think that analogy fits this context better.
this is also what I think of the situation of the 3DS

Cruzader

Banned
statham said:
so the ps3 is $50 cheaper with free online, bluray and more 1st party games, 360 out a year longer with lesser tech. and still struggles... time for the PS4 I say.
its all about the cheap sku and kinect. NA region is 360 land now and going forward. I'm pretty sure ps3 will never top it here in the states also 360 has stronger franchises such as gears, cod and halo. Ps3 software seems to do ok since ps3 fanbase are looking up their ass when it comes to games.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
AndresON777 said:
Best NPD thread in a while. Sony killin' it
dropping $50 off your price tag and still being outsold 3:2 by your main competitor, even though they're looking at a 14% yoy decline, is considered "killin' it"?

i guess people's expectations for sony these days are rubbing shoulders with the leftover E.T cartridges.

Duxxy3

fernoca said:
Is 250k the magical number or something? :p
Or did you forgot that it sold under 114k in July. So the price reduction translated into twice the sales over last month. And with the usual excuse of "no games".

Also keeping in mind that the new price became effective on August 12. 15 days of this NPD.

Compared with what it sold in japan (a much smaller market) in the same time period, the price drop is a failure. All the price drop did was eat away at nintendo's own DS sales.

Make all the excuses that you want but the price cut did not increase the sales of the system nearly as much as people expected. I still believe there is a market for dedicated handhelds but still don't believe there is a significant market for the 3DS in its current situation.

antonz

Duxxy3 said:
Compared with what it sold in japan (a much smaller market) in the same time period, the price drop is a failure. All the price drop did was eat away at nintendo's own DS sales.

Make all the excuses that you want but the price cut did not increase the sales of the system nearly as much as people expected. I still believe there is a market for dedicated handhelds but still don't believe there is a significant market for the 3DS in its current situation.
When you realize the DSi family has all but been discontinued in Japan its very easy to see the difference. NOA has the issue of split userbase with the old device still popular and not killed off

400K handhelds were sold in august. Due to the existence of the DSi still 165K of those were not 3DS. Its hardly as doom and gloom

Indyana

ghst said:
dropping $50 off your price tag and still being outsold 3:2 by your main competitor, even though they're looking at a 14% yoy decline, is considered "killin' it"?

i guess people's expectations for sony these days are rubbing shoulders with the leftover E.T cartridges.
I'm pretty sure he was talking about the shortage quote, not the sales.

Puppet Shadow said:
Well, they were rung up the same way at Best Buy's the same way the 360 offer is. Both items scanned in at full price, then the discount is automatically applied. Stores have to do it this way to keep track of inventory. I don't think the NPD has commented officially on either the PS3 or Xbox offers being counted, I think the only info we have is a throw away remark by Pachter that the 360 one is (he never commented on the PS3 offer). Hopefully someone else has more info than this, or can correct me if I'm wrong.

Pretty much. Always amusing to see someone post X Console sold like shit, kill it... it's dead! (sold 300,000), but hey, looks like Y console isn't doing too bad, All right! (sold 200,000)'.
It's not a throwaway remark, the guy has information on NPD that not everyone has. Someone should tweet him and ask. Still if there's no confirmation like there was for the laptop deal then I don't see how people can say the Bravia deal is the same.

Cruzader said:
its all about the cheap sku and kinect. NA region is 360 land now and going forward. I'm pretty sure ps3 will never top it here in the states also 360 has stronger franchises such as gears, cod and halo. Ps3 software seems to do ok since ps3 fanbase are looking up their ass when it comes to games.
Be interesting to see the average selling price for the PS3 and Xbox, maybe we'll get that number later. I think next month (first full month of PS3 at $249) might see the average price of both being the same. At that point (if it happens) it's going to show that people just don't see the value in getting a bluray player, wireless... their choice between the two is going to come down to Which one are my friends playing Call of Duty on?
upJTboogie said:
It's not a throwaway remark, the guy has information on NPD that not everyone has. Someone should tweet him and ask. Still if there's no confirmation like there was for the laptop deal then I don't see how people can say the Bravia deal is the same.
I'm not disputing that it's not true. My definition of a throw away remark is something someone says in a single sentence, without going into any detail... not that he pulled it out of his ass. We have zero confirmation (that I could find, maybe road, donny or jvm know) that says the Sony promo wasn't counted. I'd be surprised though, because NPD gets their numbers from retailers, and as far as I can tell retailers rang them up the same way. But hell, I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Mrbob said:
Interesting thought: Xbox 360 hardware numbers, while still number one, are down 13.7 percent versus last year and this is with the Kinect boost. Is Kinect the only thing keeping 360 hardware afloat?

It's Call of Duty.

360 is slated to run away with this holiday season in the US. Madden/Gears/Forza/Battlefield/Batman/NBA 2k/Dance Central 2/Call of Duty/Assassin's Creed/Kinect Sports 2/Halo, with hardly a lull between any of the releases.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Deus Ex: Human Revolution -- 244K
NCAA Football 12 -- 240.4K

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.

EviLore said:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution -- 244K
NCAA Football 12 -- 240.4K

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.

DAMN!!!! and thats for all SKUS too :/

Lynn616

upJTboogie said:

If the PS3 is scanned through the system at retail it counts on NPD.

Shurs

Amir0x said:
244 isn't great, but I hope it's enough

PS3 numbers LOL

I imagine Human Revolution will have decent legs with the reaction to the game being better than expected.

antonz

GTP_Daverytimes said:
So why the fuck are people bagging on the "Supply constraint" excuse (Truth or not)
Because its Obi Wan Kenobi level of dishonesty. There was not a point in August where you could walk into the store and be told sorry No PS3s

goomba

Banned
Apoligies if this has already been covered...

Why no PSP hardware numbers ?

Is the Vita also going to be excluded?

Amir0x

Banned
goomba said:
Apoligies if this has already been covered...

Why no PSP hardware numbers ?

Is the Vita also going to be excluded?

PSP sold exactly one and one half units in the month of August.

Top Bottom