• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2021 - US Results

Deerock71

Switch is boringly first, and Microsoft's buying Actiblizz. Hey, maybe Switch will get a CoD now, lol.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Halo infinite doesn’t crack top 20 for 2021 all platforms, and is #7 on 2021 for Xbox platforms (between Forza at #6, and AC Valhalla at #8).

MrA

The fact that MS beat Sony in unit sales but lost in total dollars means the Series S sold most of the Xbox units.
Well it is a good deal, especially if you don't care about 4k
GigaBowser GigaBowser going to stop by to admit you were wrong or just ghost this thread? Never mind saw you there without recognizing your earlier non sense

One other thing curious about last gen drop, did any xbones or ps4s sell or are they both done in the Us

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
They'll sell it on other systems, but they'll give it out like Skittles on Game Pass.
No they won't. People thought the same about Elder Scrolls and Starfield and look at where we are at. If a single game in a franchise has sold over 30 million (Skyrim) and MS makes future games in the series exclusive to Xbox, there is no reason to expect them not to do the same with COD. I'm sorry, but in the near future if you want to play COD you'll need to buy an Xbox.

Deerock71

No they won't. People thought the same about Elder Scrolls and Starfield and look at where we are at. If a single game in a franchise has sold over 30 million (Skyrim) and MS makes future games in the series exclusive to Xbox, there is no reason to expect them not to do the same with COD. I'm sorry, but in the near future if you want to play COD you'll need to buy an Xbox.
5S2GtxM.jpg

Got it.

MrA

I was assured Vanguard flopped. Where do I go to refund that bullshit take?
Could have still under performed given the gulf between typical call of duty and second place is as wide as an ocean, but it beat halo which isn't exactly small potatoes

Mozza

Next gen stock issue needs to end asap
Or people just need to stop buying that overpriced under powered Nintendo Switch, but seriously does the mass market not read all these internet forums. ;)

Joking apart, the U.K was not too bead for either the PS5 or Xbox Series just before Christmas, managed to get a Series X. :)

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
These threads used to be hundreds/thousands of posts long, with “BEAST!” being shouted in every other post, along with much gloating. What happened?
I'm sure people predicted a console storage years ago. Anyone who doesn't acknowledge that is clearly ignoring facts.

SLB1904

Banned
Microsoft likes money, so they'll release COD in a way that maximizes their long term money, which is why it will only be on Xbox and PC once any contracts are up
just like Minecraft lol Microsoft ain't taking cod off the bigger userbase they aren't stupid. no amount of game pass subscribers will make up for the loss of the sony userbase.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I'm sure people predicted a console storage years ago. Anyone who doesn't acknowledge that is clearly ignoring facts.
I assume you meant shortage? Also not sure why that matters. What facts are being ignored?

We know Sony can produce more consoles than MS, and we know that December is always the highest selling month of the year so they want their product on shelves then. People speculated for months that consoles were being held back for December. People also said repeatedly that no one was buying the Series S since it could be found in stock in some stores.

It’s just funny the difference in these threads when the results are Nintendo #1 and Xbox #2. I’ll probably get banned for saying it though.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I assume you meant shortage? Also not sure why that matters. What facts are being ignored?

We know Sony can produce more consoles than MS, and we know that December is always the highest selling month of the year so they want their product on shelves then. People speculated for months that consoles were being held back for December. People also said repeatedly that no one was buying the Series S since it could be found in stock in some stores.

It’s just funny the difference in these threads when the results are Nintendo #1 and Xbox #2. I’ll probably get banned for saying it though.

You're proving my point.

PlayStation consoles are still having stock issues and that's why it's not higher on the NPD charts.

You can ignore facts all you want, but this is the truth.

just like Minecraft lol Microsoft ain't taking cod off the bigger userbase they aren't stupid. no amount of game pass subscribers will make up for the loss of the sony userbase.

Selling COD on Playstation does two things for Microsoft

1. 70% of revenue from COD (large but not game changing for somebody like Microsoft)
2. Removes incentive for that person to buy an Xbox or subscribe to Game Pass (way worse than any benefits from #1)

Let's say the average person who buys COD buys 2 more games a year (some will obviously buy more, some less), and buys Gold/PS+ at $60/year
The person on Playstation earns Microsoft $49/year (70% of $70 game)
The person on Xbox earns Microsoft $156/year (100% of $60 game + 100% of $60 Gold + 30% of 2 games)

That doesn't even account for any microtransactions (of which Microsoft earns 100% vs 70% on Playstation), or potential to subscribe to Game Pass that is lost when playing on Playstation.

So as long as Microsoft is able to get 31.4% (49/156) of Playstation COD players to play COD on Xbox/PC (even if it's a Series S), they will make just as much money if not more. Even if we assume the average COD player buys literally 0 games other than COD (an incredibly pessimistic assumption, but we'll do it anyways), then it would still be $120 vs $49, and only need 40.8% of COD players to play COD on Xbox/PC instead (even if literally every other game they play is on Playstation)

Now obviously it's hard to say with exact certainty how many people would buy/switch to Xbox/PC, but I feel fairly confident that enough people would switch to Xbox for at least to be a similar amount of revenue (and with the potential for all the microtransactions, and Game Pass subscribers they could gain, it would be a no brainer unless all those "casual COD gamers" are somehow more allegiant to Playstation than COD (spoiler alert: they're not)

Feel free to question any numbers I used or assumptions I make, but I can't see a realistic way where Microsoft makes more money long term from keeping COD on Playstation, outside of Game Pass coming to Playstation

Edit: Also Minecraft is and always was an exception, there was a stipulation in the purchase of Mojang that Minecraft would always be fully multiplatform. Elder Scrolls 6 is going to be absolutely massive and still not release on Playstation

Last edited:
People can't say "it doesn't matter" and then talk about how their games will attract players to the Xbox platform.

This is what happens when people try to go with two different narratives.

Where are my two narratives? I don't care if COD goes exclusive because I don't play COD, and already play all my 3rd party games on Xbox anyways so the only way this acquisition affects me is through Game Pass becoming way better. I'm just saying logically COD going exclusive is more likely to result in more revenue for Microsoft than keeping it on Playstation, therefore I expect Microsoft will make it exclusive unless Sony agrees to Game Pass on Playstation (which is almost certainly never happening). Hence why Bethesda games are all becoming exclusive once contracts are over, and why Xbox isn't porting games like Halo or Forza to Playstation. The Xbox/Game Pass ecosystem is worth more than any amount of sales they could get on Playstation (even for something like Call of Duty)

MrFunSocks

Banned
You're proving my point.

PlayStation consoles are still having stock issues and that's why it's not higher on the NPD charts.

You can ignore facts all you want, but this is the truth.

And Xbox is still having stock issues too. Sony can produce more PlayStations than Microsoft can Xboxes. They both have stock issues, that’s not an excuse.

You need to try find a new point because that one doesn’t make sense.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Where are my two narratives? I don't care if COD goes exclusive because I don't play COD, and already play all my 3rd party games on Xbox anyways so the only way this acquisition affects me is through Game Pass becoming way better. I'm just saying logically COD going exclusive is more likely to result in more revenue for Microsoft than keeping it on Playstation, therefore I expect Microsoft will make it exclusive unless Sony agrees to Game Pass on Playstation (which is almost certainly never happening). Hence why Bethesda games are all becoming exclusive once contracts are over, and why Xbox isn't porting games like Halo or Forza to Playstation. The Xbox/Game Pass ecosystem is worth more than any amount of sales they could get on Playstation (even for something like Call of Duty)
You're saying they don't matter

You're also saying MS is attracting people to the MS platform by making games exclusive. That means sales do matter.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
And Xbox is still having stock issues too. Sony can produce more PlayStations than Microsoft can Xboxes. They both have stock issues, that’s not an excuse.

You need to try find a new point because that one doesn’t make sense.
Everyone is having stock issues. That still doesn't change the fact that Sony ships more units worldwide which means less stock in certain regions.

You're saying if there were no stock issues, Xbox would have sold more than the PS5 in the US and UK in December?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
They don't matter, but it just casts aside any doubt that most people that "care about console sales", only care because their side is winning.

That's fine if that's what you think but if someone is going to throw out "people said this" and "people said that" repeatedly to point out some kind of perceived hypocrisy then might as well do it both ways and not just the way that fits the narrative of the "winning" console of the month.

You're saying they don't matter

You're also saying MS is attracting people to the MS platform by making games exclusive. That means sales do matter.

They matter to Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo, they don't matter to any gamers that aren't stockholders in those companies

Top Bottom