• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2012 Sales Results [Up2: MW3 Sales, (Down ~50% Over BLOPS, But Still #1)]

xbhaskarx

cAeFM.png

This makes it look like if the neXtbox doesn't come out for another year, the 360 would most likely do better in the US over its lifespan than the PS1?

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
This is why I thought anything later than spring 2013 is loony for the next Xbox. I anticipated a drop in sales across all consoles throughout the year.

It is increasing looking unlikely that 2013 will be a XB720 launch date. Tim Sweeney wants better technology and since a large chunk of games run on Unreal Engine technology, Microsoft is going to consider his wishes seriously. If Tim Sweeney thinks the hardware tech isn't ready in 2013, I doubt Microsoft will launch.

cAeFM.png

This makes it look like if the neXtbox doesn't come out for another year, the 360 would most likely do better in the US over its lifespan than the PS1?

Will pass it by the end of 2012 without a doubt, if it hasn't already, based on that graph.

Graph is yearly sales connected by a straight line, should be able to figure it out from that. I'll do it later if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Miles X

cAeFM.png

Do you mean lifetime? I think PS1 is only at like 30 - 35m in the US so xbox will overtake it (if it hasn't already)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Hm. Has anyone questioned those hardware numbers? The wii and ps3 numbers in particular don't add up.

Miles X

Will pass it by the end of 2012 without a doubt, if it hasn't already, based on that graph.

Graph is yearly sales connected by a straight line, should be able to figure it out from that. I'll do it later if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

I get

Year 1 - 600k
Year 2 - 2m
Year 3 - 4.7m
Year 4 - 7.3m
Year 5 - 6m
Year 6 - 3.2m
Year 7 - 2.2m
Year 8 - 2.2m
Year 9 - 1.2m

Total 29.4m (without whatever it sold in Year 10)

Road

Hm. Has anyone questioned those hardware numbers? The wii and ps3 numbers in particular don't add up.
The ones in the graph? They do, from what I've done so far.

The 49% market share etc.? There's a bit of uncertainty whether MS meant hardware sales (as they have done in the past few months) or dollar sales this time.

John Harker

The ones in the graph? They do, from what I've done so far.

The 49% market share etc.? There's a bit of uncertainty whether MS meant hardware sales (as they have done in the past few months) or dollar sales this time.

The ones in the OP. PS3 + Wii is lower than what I'm looking at, that's all

Rat Salad

Banned
Sony is fucked if the other two launch earlier than expected. Its crazy scary. I mean loo k at those monkeys over at Sony. They can't even advertise Vita properly as the U.S. launch is very near. As a result it'll it'll probably under perform,and now they have to rush PS4 even earlier if Microsoft feels they wanna move up their next console? And I doubt Sony is gonna want to give both their competitors a year on the market next gen. And more than likely PS3 sales are going to be flatter and flatter,unless they have a very drastic price drop. Don't think thats going to happen anytime soon. Unless they want to suffer even heavier losses next quarter again.

It is increasing looking unlikely that 2013 will be a XB720 launch date. Tim Sweeney wants better technology and since a large chunk of games run on Unreal Engine technology, Microsoft is going to consider his wishes seriously. If Tim Sweeney thinks the hardware tech isn't ready in 2013, I doubt Microsoft will launch.

Better tech? They can do that right now,r&d was done after 360 launched.

John Harker

Also, Nintendo has got to be pretty disappointed with how Skyward Sword is performing overall. Granted, it's a pretty inactive userbase, but still...

Troll

Banned
Sony is fucked if the other two launch earlier than expected. Its crazy scary. I mean loo k at those monkeys over at Sony. They can't even advertise Vita properly as the U.S. launch is very near. As a result it'll it'll probably under perform,and now they have to rush PS4 even earlier if Microsoft feels they wanna move up their next console? And I doubt Sony is gonna want to give both their competitors a year on the market next gen. And more than likely PS3 sales are going to be flatter and flatter,unless they have a very drastic price drop. Don't think thats going to happen anytime soon. Unless they want to suffer even heavier losses next quarter again.

Whatever you say Junio.... wait.

Road

The ones in the OP. PS3 + Wii is lower than what I'm looking at, that's all
Well, it's all based on the assumption 270k units of 360 are 49% of the current-gen home console sales.

It could actually be as high as 287k for Wii+PS3 or as low as 275k, but if the number you're looking at is still significantly higher or lower than that, then, please tell (just yes or no).

seady

When they combine all SKU into one, we get this boring NPD chart.

Because almost everything on chart are crappy 3rd party multiplat titles.

fernoca

Also, Nintendo has got to be pretty disappointed with how Skyward Sword is performing overall. Granted, it's a pretty inactive userbase, but still...
Why? They were more than happy to announce 3.4 million copies sold in 2 months worldwide, and NOA talked twice about the game been the fastest selling console Zelda game (with 1.1+ million by the end of December 2011).

If they expected bigger numbers, or break the 5 million that Twilight Princess did on Wii in 4+ years, in 2 months..well, they haven't said anything yet.

They definitely over-shipped the game a bit, but they didn't over estimate demand quite as bad as say Metroid Other M.

One blunder I noticed is the lack of Motion Plus adapters in the channel. Average Wii consumer is not going to shell out $40 for a controller just to play the game.

No one wants a $400-500 or a rushed launch. Those new consoles need to simmer a bit because it's painfully obvious the market isn't willing to spend.

I wonder how the used market is doing. . .

I agree with the first part about costs and rushed launch. But, it really has not been shown that the market isn't willing to spend. Everyone one in the US bought a 360 last year it seems and 3DS has turned shit around pretty fantastically world wide.

There were zero new games last month, sales were shit. Not that new hardware is the answer to the lack of software. But, I am ready for new consoles. Probably won't buy one until it's been out a year any way since that's when the real games start showing up.

Sheikh

Banned
ps3 already dropped price just last year. these consoles are beyond old and dated,its time for new consoles asap.

still we haven't seen what the ps3 sales would be when it hits <200$ especially in territories like Europe ,where it is performing the best . Also i expect a small spike in sales in Japan too.

I am a new member here at GAF but sorry to say that some posts here from some senior members make this seem like N4G. Wii and ps3 both are performing the same atleast in USA ,despite the fact that wii is still 100$ less than ps3. NPD thread at GAF seems more like ps3 trash fest

antonz

still we haven't seen what the ps3 sales would be when it hits <200$ especially in territories like Europe ,where it is performing the best . Also i expect a small spike in sales in Japan too.

I am a new member here at GAF but sorry to say that some posts here from some senior members make this seem like N4G. Wii and ps3 both are performing the same atleast in USA ,despite the fact that wii is still 100$ less than ps3. NPD thread at GAF seems more like ps3 trash fest

Who gives a shit what the sales are like when Johhny 99 Bucks jumps in. Thats not going to mean squat for the people waiting 7 years

Guevara

New consoles obviously can't come soon enough. In retrospect the timing of the 3DS release was pretty good, launching at the tail end of a dying generation most people are apparently done with.

DR2K

Banned
I agree with the first part about costs and rushed launch. But, it really has not been shown that the market isn't willing to spend. Everyone one in the US bought a 360 last year it seems and 3DS has turned shit around pretty fantastically world wide.

There were zero new games last month, sales were shit. Not that new hardware is the answer to the lack of software. But, I am ready for new consoles. Probably won't buy one until it's been out a year any way since that's when the real games start showing up.

December and Jan rarely have major hitters, the holiday season in itself usually boosts sales signifigantly, total opposite has happened this holiday season. Considering what the PS2 did, you can hardly say that the market is oversaturated with 360.

szaromir

Banned
December and Jan rarely have major hitters, the holiday season in itself usually boosts sales signifigantly, total opposite has happened this holiday season. Considering what the PS2 did, you can hardly say that the market is oversaturated with 360.

There's a twin console on the market that has in 95% the same functionality and games. The market is saturated and new products would be welcome.

DR2K

Banned
There's a twin console on the market that has in 95% the same functionality and games. The market is saturated and new products would be welcome.

There were 3 consoles last gen that did the "same" thing. New overpriced hardware is not the answer. Price is what is keeping new consumers at bay, at least for 360 and PS3.

360 sold well last month with 1.7 million. Down from the previous year, but still not bad at all. And I do think a price cut would be a very good idea, and I'm sure we'll have one within the next five months. If we wait until 360 or PS3 reach PS2 level of sales, this generation will never end.

Next gen is coming soon, that's really all there is to it. At the most 360 has one more holiday season. Zero chance that by Christmas 2013 we don't have the next Xbox.

There were 3 consoles last gen that did the "same" thing. New overpriced hardware is not the answer. Price is what is keeping new consumers at bay, at least for 360 and PS3.

Not at all. PS2 had a library that put Xbox and GC to fucking shame.

antonz

New Consoles sell to an entirely different market then the people buying Current Gen consoles now and 2 years from now.

If anything now is the time to be bringing new consoles so they can double tap the market. Get the Hardcore gamers buying the new consoles while still selling while there is appeal the old to new customers which is something MS and Sony can do while Nintendo is not as lucky.

Petrae

In terms of sales here in the US, I think that criticism of the PlayStation 3 platform is fair. Sony has taken a giant step backwards after success with the original PlayStation and then dominance with the PlayStation 2. It's a first-to-worst scenario in this territory, and it's not getting any better despite free online play, a price cut last year (versus none for the 360), more software exclusives, and more.

20 million units LTD in the US (as of December NPD) is not a failure for Sony, but nearly 33 million Xbox 360 units and nearly 39 million Wii units simply dwarf it. Worldwide may be a different story, but in NPD threads-- where the US is the focus-- PlayStation 3 is an underperformer this gen.

Petrae

...Why no Nintendo PR yet? :(

There's really no way to put a positive spin on the numbers that we're projecting. January was pretty much a black eye for everyone, and I think the industry just wants to move on as quickly as possible.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
There's really no way to put a positive spin on the numbers that we're projecting. January was pretty much a black eye for everyone, and I think the industry just wants to move on as quickly as possible.

3DS, MK7 numbers, 3D Land...they would have reasons to put a PR out.

Well yeah the library was wider, but each console had it's own niches. Xbox with the shooters/online play and nintendo. . . with Nintendo.

Yeah. Xbox had Halo 1 & 2 and Nintendo had Nintendo, just like you said. Neither of which could even dream of PS2's library, and thus sales. Grand Theft Auto sold systems last gen. Throw in Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, God of War, Devil May Cry, Gran Turismo, and it's clear Microsoft and Nintendo weren't even in the race. This gen Microsoft and Sony are on far more even ground as far as software, which is why nothing is going to achieve PS2's crazy numbers. Also, PS2's crazy numbers kept climbing well after PS3 and 360 came out.

Again, new hardware isn't the whole answer of course. But, a new gen with some new IP's mixed with next gen Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed, I'm fucking in. If prices aren't insane, of course.

Yeah, it sucks Nintendo seems to have adopted a taking ball and going home lately attitude toward NPD PR when it's poor news. Though I guess you cant blame them or any company that chooses to do so.

The combination of Nintendo+MS PR was how we always worked out PS3 every month, and I always feared it'd dry up.

Matlen

Neo Member
I'm not suprised that the industry was weak as hell this January.

January is normaly a month where "hardcore-gamers" is the only ones that buy hardware and games. This time, there hasn't been to many games for that category of gamers.

Kinect will not be able to help 360 this time of year, the casuals have already bought (spelling?) all the games they will need for the rest of the year (or at least before this years holidays). That's pretty much how the casuals work, in my opinion.

But, of course we need a new generation. As I see it, this will be the last year this generation will be relevant for any kind of hardcore gamer.

madmackem

These consoles still have not hit the mass market price yet, here in the uk even the cheapest 360 is some ways off the price the ps2 hit when it went mass market. £99 really is the sweet spot, these consoles should really be getting there at this point in the life span.

Top Bottom