• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

SLYspyda

Banned
timetokill said:
- It's a shooter on Wii
- better versions on other consoles
- other versions are in HD
- target audience with large amounts of disposable income
- profile for target audience has HD sets and when buying a shooter wants top-tier graphics

I'm not buying any of that. The Wii versions and HD versions almost rated the same.

COD targets audiences with large disposable income?
So you're saying the COD duty audience are the ones who are rich that want HD?

Didn't COD4 sell more on the Wii than PS3?

SLYspyda said:
I'm not buying any of that. The Wii versions and HD versions almost rated the same.

joke? o_O

Scrubking

Can someone please explain to me why COD Wii didn't do numbers? It's a good game, it had good marketing.

It failed because :

1. It lacked all the modes/features that made the HD versions attractive. No zombie mode was a big turnoff for many gamers. Treyarch couldn't even be bothered to put capture the flag in the game.

2. No media coverage. A week after release there were only 4 reviews of the game while 360 had like 30. People didn't know there was a Wii version. I'm pretty sure IGN was the only media outlet that even gave previews for the Wii version.

3. No marketing. You say it had good marketing, but it didn't. Only very recently have ads for the Wii version started to pop up. At first it was just a TV ad with all the consoles on the bottom.

However, I wouldn't count the game out yet as Wii games can sell on for months and the holidays are just around the corner. And Treyarch is already asking how to make the next CoD Wii game better.

SLYspyda

Banned
Scrubking said:
It failed because :

1. It lacked all the modes/features that made the HD versions attractive. No zombie mode was a big turnoff for many gamers. Treyarch couldn't even be bothered to put capture the flag in the game.

2. No media coverage. A week after release there were only 4 reviews of the game while 360 had like 30. People didn't know there was a Wii version. I'm pretty sure IGN was the only media outlet that even gave previews for the Wii version.

3. No marketing. You say it had good marketing, but it didn't. Only very recently have ads for the Wii version started to pop up. At first it was just a TV ad with all the consoles on the bottom.

However, I wouldn't count the game out yet as Wii games can sell on for months and the holidays are just around the corner. And Treyarch is already asking how to make the next CoD Wii game better.

Okay, I'm buying that a bit. I hope the Wii sales continue in the months to come.

Aeris130

The userbase who buys CoD because it's CoD should be firmly rooted on HD consoles or PC by now, given that 4 didn't go to Wii at all.

SLYspyda said:

No, I'm saying COD targets 14-30 year-old males, who tend to have the most disposable income and also tend to spend it on electronics and home entertainment centers. They also tend to have HD sets and HD systems. Following this, they tend to own things that will take advantage of or exploit their HD setups, such as the 360. Even if they owned the Wii, they would get the 360 version because it has more features, does HD, etc.

It's pretty basic marketing. You have to understand the target audience. Shooters can sell on Wii but they can't be ports of 360/PS3 games if you want them to sell best.

My experience trying to find CoD Wii at 4 separate game stores:

Call #1. "There is no Wii version of CoD: WaW (Electronics Boutique)
Call #2. "There is no Wii version of CoD: WaW (Wal-Mart)
Call #3. "We don't get that for another week." (Future Shop)
Call #4. "We don't get that for another week." (Best Buy)
Call #5. "Yeah we have it".
"....What?
"The Wii version of CoD: WoW. We have it."
"You sure? The WII version."
"Yeah, i'm sure"
"...o..k....".

The last call was at another EB. The guy knew his stuff about gaming though, he wasn't just a register monkey like at most of them.

SLYspyda said:

Yeah COD:WaW is every bit as good on the Wii as it is on the HD consoles and we're all just nitpickers. The average customer can't tell the difference, especially in the male 18-34 demo as another poster above pointed out which is this game's target demo.

hahahaha right.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
My biggest reason for not picking up COD : WAW on Wii was because of a lack of local multiplayer.

To date the only Wii FPS to have ANY local multiplayer is Red Steel which did well over a million worldwide, and outsold COD3 Wii (single player ONLY) by almost 2-1 from what we know.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
TJ Spyke said:
One of them is, his numbers are a little off. The PS2 version of Vice City sold 8.2 million in the US and 8.61 million total worldwide.

If you mean worldwide sales, Wii Play has already outside the highest selling PS2 game. The best selling PS2 game was Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas at 12 million. Wii Sports has sold 30.87 million and Wii Play has done 16.15 million. Mario Kart Wii will pass the mark too since its at 9.53 million.

SA sold more on the PS2 then that

Meier

MacBosse said:
Little Big Planet didn't even chart top 20?????!!!?????

Bring it to the 360 right away, it will treat it right.
The game's target market was clearly the Wii. I feel bad for MMo that Nintendo turned them down initially... it would have worked out better for everyone.

SLYspyda

Banned
polyh3dron said:
Yeah COD:WaW is every bit as good on the Wii as it is on the HD consoles and we're all just nitpickers. The average customer can't tell the difference, especially in the male 18-34 demo as another poster above pointed out which is this game's target demo.

hahahaha right.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

And I meant COD 3, not 4, on Wii sold more than PS3

Meier said:
The game's target market was clearly the Wii. I feel bad for MMo that Nintendo turned them down initially... it would have worked out better for everyone.

They can still move the franchise to the other systems. Unless, of course, they're dumb enough to actually develop a sequel for the PS3 exclusively.

[Nintex]

Meier said:
I don't think Nintendo turned them down, Nintendo was simply late to the party and Sony already secured the game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Frillen said:
Umm... Mario Kart has been out for like 8 months now, but somehow you manage to spin Mario Kart's performance into something negative. :S:S:S:S

Oh, and GH4 is there.

But it is negative. Maybe next time they can put the online system in a game that isnt lacking features or horribly imbalanced!

Laguna

Banned
Sushen said:
1up podcast declared that 200k was because of only 3 days it was on sale in October. This is full 30 days of November. According to Shane this is one of those games that should sell 200k every month for years to come. It looks like it's no Mario Kart.

Seriously who cares what the pseudo-experts at 1Up expect and especially what a Sonynerd like Shane has to say in this regard. The marketing push for LBP is huge the numbers not so much - is it a potential pack-in game like Motorstorm?

Meier said:
Had Nintendo picked up the game they'd most likely have bought MMo and replaced Sackboy with a Nintendo mascot (Kirby would have worked) and the game wouldn't be anything like the end product we have now... and not because the the PS3/Wii hardware differences.
HK-47 said:
But it is negative. Maybe next time they can put the online system in a game that isnt lacking features or horribly imbalanced!
IMO MK Wii online is the biggest reason that it's still in the top ten. Who cares if it's lacking features when it's as much fun as it is.

Haunted

[Nintex] said:
I don't think Nintendo turned them down, Nintendo was simply late to the party and Sony already secured the game.
No, I clearly remember reading how media molecule shopped the concept around (with that colourful, blocky pre-alpha you might've seen in videos) and went to Nintendo first - who turned them down.

Bad call.

[Nintex]

Saint Gregory said:
IMO MK Wii online is the biggest reason that it's still in the top ten. Who cares if it's lacking features when it's as much fun as it is.
I'm also amazed by the fact that Nintendo still releases monthly tournament challenges. I only tried the first one and missed a bunch of fun ones. Is it possible to redownload older challenges like the boss battles?

Wakim

Not to be off topic, but allergy sufferers worldwide have been rejoicing. It seem that mysteriously the ammount of free floating dust in the world has been decreasing steadily fro about 2 years, and took a big drop in November.

Haunted

[Nintex] said:
I'm also amazed by the fact that Nintendo still releases monthly tournament challenges. I only tried the first one and missed a bunch of fun ones. Is it possible to redownload older challenges like the boss battles?
wait, what?

Gaborn

Haunted said:
No, I clearly remember reading how media molecule shopped the concept around (with that colourful, blocky pre-alpha you might've seen in videos) and went to Nintendo first - who turned them down.

Bad call.

I don't remember that, but even if you're right that it happened... how bad a call was it for Nintendo? a game like that has NO guarantees of success as we're seeing, and it's not like it's hurting them in sales.

Wakim said:
Not to be off topic, but allergy sufferers worldwide have been rejoicing. It seem that mysteriously the ammount of free floating dust in the world has been decreasing steadily fro about 2 years, and took a big drop in November.
allergic to PS3 sales I take it?

Scrubking

DeaconKnowledge said:

"....What?
"Yeah, i'm sure"
"...o..k....".

The last call was at another EB. The guy knew his stuff about gaming though, he wasn't just a register monkey like at most of them.

When I went to pick it up at TRU the lady at the counter barely spoke english, but she knew exactly what I wanted. LOL.

My biggest reason for not picking up COD : WAW on Wii was because of a lack of local multiplayer.
For you it was no co-op for others it was no zombie mode. They made it too easy to skip the Wii version of the game.

J-Rock

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:

"....What?
"Yeah, i'm sure"
"...o..k....".

Exactly what happen to me. I got so many confused looks when asking about the Wii version. Many of them told me I was wrong. Really weird. It seemed like the only people that new about the Wii version where people that visit gaming sites.

vanguardian1

Scrubking said:
For you it was no co-op for others it was no zombie mode. They made it too easy to skip the Wii version of the game.

Co-op would be even better, but you're still forgetting that the machine is still the king of local multiplayer games, and the 1 that has it is also the 1 that sold very well. When I have friends over we have a decent selection of Wii games, and only Red Steel for FPS options.

I'll say it now, that even if The Conduit could score perfect 10's, a lack of local multiplayer are going to hurt it bad.

Mindlog

timetokill said:
- It's a shooter on Wii
- better versions on other consoles
- other versions are in HD
- target audience with large amounts of disposable income
- profile for target audience has HD sets and when buying a shooter wants top-tier graphics

I believe an oft overlooked issue that's going to take on greater and greater significance is that they want to play online multiplayer with their friends. Granted, the Wii is a local multi beast :]

Sony and MS would do well to increase their co-op gaming efforts and further establish their online platform (the reasoning behind Home). Having people rooted into their multi-player offerings is the path to WoW. WoW is not only a solid product, but there are many people who wouldn't want to stop playing and try a new game unless their entire guild opted to do the same.

So I never really was worried about this before but how can the Wii not affect the future
of gaming consoles. I am sure Sony and Microsoft are having meetings focused solely
on how the next iteration of consoles can be more mass market and cheaper to produce.
I mean what real reason do either of them have investing in creating another console
with bleeding edge technology. It makes me sad for the potential future but I am probably
blowing this out of proportion.

[Nintex] said:
Not that I know of. Sometimes you can still do them after the deadline passes but it still hasn't been a full year yet so maybe they'll repeat during the upcoming months.
Haunted said:
wait, what?
Yep. They do two challanges a month and sometimes it's a boss battle. The Spinman boss battle (from SMG) was the best IMO.

vanguardian1

BruceLeeRoy said:
So I never really was worried about this before but how can the Wii not affect the future
of gaming consoles. I am sure Sony and Microsoft are having meetings focused solely
on how the next iteration of consoles can be more mass market and cheaper to produce.
I mean what real reason do either of them have investing in creating another console
with bleeding edge technology. It makes me sad for the potential future but I am probably

I just hope they learned that the importance of reliability and affordability of their hardware shouldn't be underestimated. That's what I want them to learn more than anything.

BruceLeeRoy said:

The next gen will be different but I don't think you'll be disappointed. Nintendo is going to try to turn casual gamers into core gamers next gen and Sony and MS are sure to be a lot more responsible with their hardware design without going the duct-tape route.

When you factor in what a hit Hollywood is going to take from the financial crisis and the need for replacement entertainment I predict that next gen is going to blow all of our socks off.

Threi

notag
BruceLeeRoy said:
A future of $500+ videogame consoles got burned in a fire...and that's a bad thing?

vanguardian1 said:
I just hope they learned that the importance of reliability and affordability of their hardware shouldn't be underestimated. That's what I want them to learn more than anything.

Yeah I just hope they still put a emphasis on graphics.

Threi said:
A future of $500+ videogame consoles got burned in a fire...and that's a bad thing?

I definitely think that was a terrible move on their part but as I said above I just dont
want the progression of better and better looking games to slow down.

BruceLeeRoy said:
I definitely think that was a terrible move on their part but as I said above I just dont

Hmmm, maybe become a PC gamer? Then you can rail against the whole world instead of just against Nintendo.

felipeko

Haunted said:

Bad call.
Not so sure about that:
Reggie said:

Threi

notag
BruceLeeRoy said:
Either the consoles cost more or the progression in visuals slow down. Chances are you can't have both.

Or you can become a PC gamer. Why not do that?

Can we have some LTD numbers on these please:

Sonic Unleashed Wii and 360

Tales of Symphonia: DotNW

Tales of Vesperia

Is any legit sites even counting the sales of these?

TJ Spyke

HK-47 said:
SA sold more on the PS2 then that

This is the last CONFIRMED sales number, from Take-Two Interactive in March 2005. The GTA series is heavily front loaded though, so the actual number probably isn't that much higher.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yeah I just hope they still put a emphasis on graphics.

Why are you playing consoles in the first place anyway? Consoles are gimping PC games because many publishers think they can simply port from thr 360/PS3.

Threi said:
Either the consoles cost more or the progression in visuals slow down. Chances are you can't have both.

Or you can become a PC gamer. Why not do that?

Which would you prefer price or graphics?

titiklabingapat said:
Why are you playing consoles in the first place anyway? Consoles are gimping PC games because many publishers think they can simply port from thr 360/PS3.

Seriously its just presentation I would rather sit on my couch with a controller playing
Left 4 Dead than on my desk hunched close to my monitor.

EazyB

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
I'm a bit concerned as well. I enjoy having my expensive 360 and PS3 sitting beside my cheap Wii but with the success Nintendo is having I'm afraid MS and Sony will try to emulate. In no way do I want 3 Wiis next generation; even they MS and Sony will just push away the traditional gamers and they'll never be able to attract casuals like Nintendo does.

Top Bottom