• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2007

careksims

inthezone said:
I may be one of the few but even with the PS3 numbers, I am strangely confident that everything will just fine! better than fine actually!

They really do need some kind of price drop. I'm with you. I still have faith that things will turn around in the Summer/Fall.

Zzoram

DevelopmentArrested said:
Yeah... that's never happening.

In Canada? Maybe. In Canada the 360 Pro was bundled with GRAW and Arcade Unplugged from like May 06 - Feb 07. Now the bundle is Call of Duty 3. If you buy at Futureshop/Best Buy you get NHL07 free too. The 360 in Canada has only been available with at least one pack in game since Spring 06, and is CAN$499.

During November, around the PS3 launch, everyone was selling the 360 Pro with a free copy of Gears of War. I got my Pro Holiday bundle (including GRAW and Arcade Unplugged) with Gears of War and Ridge Racer 6 free and a $50 discount to CAN$449, a great deal. It's great deals like this that make the 360 sell so much better than the PS3 in Canada. At the least, you pay $499 and get a console and at least 1 pack in game. For the PS3, you pay $699 and don't even get HD cables.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Tabris said:
The sad thing is this thread will be more popular than the awesome Gamer's day one. Certain people (you know who you are :p i.e. 90% of the people in this thread) prefer bad news about Sony than good news.

For me, it is some kind of assurance that consumers are not about to jump in line to by a $600 console just because it is the new, shiny toy. But, maybe this news isn't totally bad for Sony, maybe they have a long-term view of the PS3. Maybe they anticipated slow sales for the first few years and will be laughing at everyone else 7 years from now.

Seriously, how can one think Sony will be doomed this generation? I agree, there isn't a steady stream of "OMG" impressive games, but we all know what is coming. I mean demos are out there. It's hard to ignore.

Sony's exclusive first party lineup is really good quality wise that will help them compete against MS. Not everyone will enjoy it but they are impressive.

EDIT: I agree that high price is killing Sony.

GhaleonEB

damisa said:
PS3 weekly sales:

Jan 48.7k
Feb 31.8k
Mar 26.0k
Apr 20.5k

Supply constraints!

Microsoft CANNOT go without a price cut this year. Hoping Halo 3 does it will not be enough. The $400 and up market is rapidly being tapped out.

Tristam

Jahaya said:
They spotted how to make hardware, costing only a hundred sell for $200 instead of selling a $500 hardware for $300, to the trend surfing soccer mums and teenagers.

Wii only costs $100 to make confirmed.

Tabris said:
God of War? SOCOM? Ratchet & Clank? They don't matter? Go google up the sales of the previous titles in those series.
Those aren't system sellers, apart from God of War which is a moderate system seller. Not quite Mario, Halo, Gran Turismo big, but it moves a fair amout of system.

Socom and Ratchet and Clank on the other hand...who?

mabuza

Banned
unfortunately for sony it will only get worse in may. there really isnt any game coming in may or june, and i guess lair will improve things, but barely

Geezer said:
This gen is going to be so shit. The 360 and PS3, both truly brilliant next-gen consoles got outsold trampled by a ****ing toy.

I guess I'm a graphics 'ho because I agree. I like my Wii . . . but to me it is a waggle novelty toy.

I still think that in a year or two, the waggle novelty will wear thin (or the PS3 & 360 will have their own waggle-motes) and HD graphics will be more desired such that the Wii will begin to wane.

GreekWolf

Haven't bothered reading through the thread... but this pisses me off.

360 is slowly drifting away while the PS3 is pretty much dead in the water. What that indicates to me is that two years from now, the only AAA games we'll be able to look forward to on next-gen systems will be first party efforts. Everyone will be falling over each other to get a piece of Wii ass. Square might as well merge with Nintendo for cripes sakes.

I have seen the future... and it is Gamecube graphix. :lol

GhaleonEB said:
Supply constraints!

Microsoft CANNOT go without a price cut this year. Hoping Halo 3 does it will not be enough. The $400 and up market is rapidly being tapped out.
F****** Microsoft. Looks like they just about drained that market completly dry before Sony even had a crack at it. :lol

ghst

thanks for the laugh
MirageDwarf said:
Seriously, how can one think Sony will be doomed this generation? I agree, there isn't a steady stream of "OMG" impressive games, but we all know what is coming. I mean demos are out there. It's hard to ignore.

Sony's exclusive first party lineup is really good quality wise that will help them compete against MS. Not everyone will enjoy it but they are impressive.

If Sony had followed the Gamecube business model, they'd be fine in a non-runner kinda way.

jeremy1456

Tabris said:
Ratchet & Clank and SOCOM sold millions each worldwide. Rachet and Jax were the best selling platform games on the PS2.

Indeed, but that was on a console that costed $300, and $200.

It's pretty difficult to get an accurate picture of how much they'll sell on a $600 console, but if one were to roughly guestimate, I think it would be more than fair to go with a console cost to sales ratio.

Does not spell good for Sony.

Ashodin

Glad to see Nintendo finally get back in the limelight, honestly. It's been far too long since anyone actually appreciated what Nintendo has done. It's been so much better for the company since Iwata took over for Yamauchi back when the GC launched. His visions have been, well, revolutionary.

Tristam

Wii is last gen, bad grafx, waggle, gamecube, fad, toy, novelty, nongames, etc.

Now that I've covered the generic replies for you guys, let the thread commence.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
(reads right to left <-)

haha.jpg

Sony's response:

According to the latest NPD data, SCEA generated total sales of $271 million in the month of April, buoyed in part by the addition of the PS3 platform, which sold a total of 82K units for the month, as well as the strong performance of the PSP at retail, which saw a 13% year-on-year increase for the month of April, selling 183K units. The price of the PSP Core system was dropped from $199 to $169 in early April, which has received very positive retailer and consumer response. PS2 also continued to be a strong performer during the month with unit sales of 194K.

See, if it were me, I'd say:

Well, Nintendo sold 18,000 GameCubes, and as we all know, the Wii is just two GameCubes duct-taped together, so really they only sold 9,000 Wiis.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/05/sonys_response_.html

neptunes

MS can go without a price cut this year

but spring is the ABSOLUTE latest they can go without one.

they just to hold out on may,june,july, because september is when sales will pick up again.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Geezer said:
A.360/PS3=Sophisticated weaponry
B.Wii=Broken waterpistol loaded with piss

Who would prefer option b? DOES. NOT. COMPUTE.

I'll take you up on that offer to "borrow" money for a PS3+360. Please paypal me the money.

kthxbye

jarrod

Banned
Tabris said:
Ratchet & Clank and SOCOM sold millions each worldwide. Rachet and Jax were the best selling platform games on the PS2.
Ridge Racer & Virtua Fighter also sold millions on PS2... look how that turned out.

From the prediction thread:-
Wii - 315
360 - 160
PS3 - 85k

No guts no glory :D

Not at all bad - lowballed Wii by 45k
lowballed 360 by 15k
overshot PS3 by 3k :lol

One things for sure, this is where 360 IS becoming saturated at $400 - MS MUST drop the price before Halo 3 and GTA IV if they want to compete with Nintendo on marketshare.

Evlar

Banned
Sony's Official Organ Steading the Unsettled Masses said:
According to the latest NPD data, SCEA generated total sales of $271 million in the month of April, buoyed in part by the addition of the PS3 platform, which sold a total of 82K units for the month, as well as the strong performance of the PSP at retail, which saw a 13% year-on-year increase for the month of April, selling 183K units. The price of the PSP Core system was dropped from $199 to $169 in early April, which has received very positive retailer and consumer response. PS2 also continued to be a strong performer during the month with unit sales of 194K.
That's rather lackluster. I'm disappointed.

Liquid

Banned
wii outsold ps3 4 to 1
360 outsold ps3 2 to 1
looks at price ratio per consoles....hmmmm :lol

few words. when 360 drops the price its gonna get interesting. if wii drops the price if wont be able to be found anywhere AGAIN so MS better have overstock ready, if sony drops the price no one will care and they'll just continue being screwed one way or another. face it. :lol

pilonv1

Kobun Heat said:
See, if it were me, I'd say:

Well, Nintendo sold 18,000 GameCubes, and as we all know, the GameCube is just two Wiis duct-taped together, so really they only sold 9,000 Wiis.

Then Nintendo could say they sold 738,000 Gamecubes.

Zzoram

I'm not going to lie, the slow adoption of the 360/PS3 and what looks like DS/Wii dominance of the market is making me regret not staying pure PC. By splitting my money across 360/DS I can't get a gaming PC, and it looks like that's where all the hardcore next gen game action is being forced (No PS3/360 game will ever surpass Crysis graphics/physics and Starcraft 2 is on the verge).

Also, ever since hitting consoles, it seems like the user base is so fragmented. People all hate each other and fight all the time and polarize the user base. On the PC side, the only second class citizens who get flak for no reason are noobs. That plus getting Oblivion for PC and the dozens of quality great FREE mods (on top of thousands of crap ones) made me realize how much console players miss out on.

I don't think I'll go back to consoles after this generation. Ya I know, you don't care.

1-D_FTW

C4Lukins said:
You have to tell me exactly what you are referring to for me to comment on this one.

I don't wanna start anything by naming names.

Just to say I downloaded some really cool movies this morning. Then this afternoon a developer interview was posted where the comments were made. I don't think it's that hard to figure out, but I'm still not naming it.

Maxrpg said:
Glad to see Nintendo finally get back in the limelight, honestly. It's been far too long since anyone actually appreciated what Nintendo has done. It's been so much better for the company since Iwata took over for Yamauchi back when the GC launched. His visions have been, well, revolutionary.
Glad to see Nintendo back in the limelight. Sorry to see their conservative, tightwad "can't sell hardware unless we're making money on it from day one" asses take technological progression with them. :(

Top Bottom