• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2007

Bildi

Snaku said:
april07npd.gif
:lol

Kobun Heat said:
Sony's response:
If the PS3 is indeed a 10 year investment, spinning numbers at this early stage is pointless so I think they did the right thing. If they cut the price in half I'm fairly sure the PS3 would be beating the Wii. And since it's the most expensive console, price cuts will be bigger than the other two consoles percentage wise and will probably have a pretty big impact.

Still when someone in the prediction thread said 'maybe the Wii will outsell the PS3 by a multiple of 4 this month' I thought it was ridiculous. Just goes to show, NPD always delivers the excitement. :lol

WindyMan

I was bored, so I decided to compare March and April on more level terms. Since March was five weeks and April was four weeks, a direct comparison wouldn't work too well. Instead, I took March's individual figures and divided by five, then took April's and divided by four. What this gives you is a rough per-week comparison.

Code:
Week-to-week March/April NPD Hardware Sales Comparison

Sales per week, in thousands
      March   April   %Diff
NDS   101.6   117.8   +15.9
Wii    51.8    90.0   +42.4
PS2    56.0    48.5   -13.4
PSP    36.0    45.8   +27.2
360    39.8    43.5   + 9.3
GBA    29.6    21.0   -29.0
PS3    26.0    20.5   -21.2
GCN     4.4     3.3   -25.0

This means that DS sales went up 15.9% from the previous month and that Xbox 360 sales went up 9.3% from the previous month, even though the NPD shows gross April sales were less than those in March for those systems.

These figures also show that Sony has little chance to spin the PS3 positively this month. We'll see, though!

diddlyD

Banned
my predictions were pretty good:

PS2 200K (194k) = +6k
PS3 88K (82k) = +6k
PSP 200K (183k) = +17k
Wii 350K (360k) = +10k
GC 10k (13k) = +3k
DS 600K (471k) = +129k (ouch)
GBA 120K (84k) = +36k
360 160K (174k) = -14k

ghst

thanks for the laugh
jetjevons said:
Halo 3 says "hi".

HALO 3 HALO 3 HALO 3 HALO 3 HALO 3

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Merovingian said:
This ain't over until the Chief says it's over. Lol? Halo 3 is huge.
It's fair to say a lot of people who will buy Halo 3 already have 360s.

Zzoram

I wouldn't call HD gaming a fad. I would said HD gaming for consoles hasn't caught on yet. In the PC space, 1280x720 would be considered bare minimum resolution (what the majority of PC gamers play with their mid-range computers is probably 1280x1024 or 1440x900), and 1920x1080 is not impressive (due to high end players going 2560x1600).

Wiitard

Banned
Tabris said:
What I just don't get is why everyone finds such pleasure/wants to post so much about Sony "losing"?

...and before you say "because Nintendo fans had to suffer it for years"... I was there when Zelda GCN bombed or the 10k media create threads, and those threads were small and everyone was posting about the games.

It's funny to me that sales age became so big exactly when Nintendo DS started beating the PSP, no one cared before then.

Sony tried to shrink the industry to win a format war. Of course gamers should be grateful...

Bildi said:
Still when someone in the prediction thread said 'maybe the Wii will outsell the PS3 by a multiple of 4 this month' I thought it was ridiculous. Just goes to show, NPD always delivers the excitement. :lol

You realise the worldwide we are talking about something like 5-6/1.

Geezer said:
It's fair to say a lot of people who will buy Halo 3 already have 360s.

It is certainly a fair thing to say. Unfortunately it will probably prove to be an inaccurate thing to say as well, come September.

Crypto

Banned
There are a lot of huge name titles coming for 360 and PS3 this year...

Halo 3 is huge, will sell millions of copies if not millions of 360s...

GTA4 is also coming.

Xavien

Eteric Rice said:
I love how there are people even in this thread trying to spin it.

"Wait two years, and the novelty will wear off!"

I remember around a month BEFORE the Wii was released, and they were saying the same shit. Accept it was "wait a month or two, and the novelty will wear off."

Wii isn't going anywhere. Chances are, it won't "die." And when it's bigger franchises drop, it'll further drive the steak into Sony's heart.

Wow, you smell blood don't you? Going in for the kill?

Zzoram

BenjaminBirdie said:
It is certainly a fair thing to say. Unfortunately it will probably prove to be an inaccurate thing to say as well, come September.

MS said that half of 360 owners did not have an Xbox. That means, roughly 5 million 360 owners upgraded from Xbox 1. Considering Xbox 1 sold a lot more than that, and Halo 2 sold 8-9 million, there's at least 3-4 million Xbox 1 players who have a strong interest in Halo 3 but haven't "jumped in".

Evlar

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Really? You think most existing 360 owners have no interest in Halo 3? Or are you saying you believe 360 LTD will more than double in the month Halo 3 is released?

Zzoram said:
I wouldn't call HD gaming a fad. I would said HD gaming for consoles hasn't caught on yet. In the PC space, 1280x720 would be considered bare minimum resolution (what the majority of PC gamers play with their mid-range computers is probably 1280x1024 or 1440x900), and 1920x1080 is not impressive (due to high end players going 2560x1600).

Because buying a big screen TV is a big decision for most households.

Sony/MS think (or thought) people would just buy them like an accessory for a game machine. You can't tell people when to buy a TV or when they should switch video formats.

Wrong bet.

HD will take off, but it probably won't be until 2010 IMO in a real "average joe" way.

Game-Biz

Back in 2005...
Matt C. on Nintendo's decision to forgo a Hi-Def console said:
Videogames are technology-driven and yet Nintendo continues to dismiss new, important technologies. It's unfathomable. It's like a painter throwing away his paintbrushes because they are too expensive. I mean, I've tried to understand this approach, but I don't think it can be understood. No matter how you look at it, it makes no sense.
And...

Gloom and doom mostly over. I'm quite sure that despite this lunatic decision Revolution will have its unique appeal. It'll still have a place in my living room. But I think it will become more niche due to a domino effect that's sure to happen. I predict less third-party support because cross-platform ports are sure to be more difficult. And as a result, I'm sure Revolution -- like GameCube -- will become a console for Nintendo fans.

Hahaha

hahahahah

Eteric Rice

Crypto said:
There are a lot of huge name titles coming for 360 and PS3 this year...

Halo 3 is huge, will sell millions of copies if not millions of 360s...

GTA4 is also coming.

There are a lot of big name titles coming to the Wii this year.

Mario is huge, Smash Bros is almost as big as Halo, and Metroid is pretty big also.

There are also 3rd party games like Dragon Quest Swords, Dewy's Adventure, and MySims to help push the system.

Gaborn

Zzoram said:
I wouldn't call HD gaming a fad. I would said HD gaming for consoles hasn't caught on yet.

Anti-fad confirmed! The public doesn't want it yet at the price its being offered. Simple as that.

Tabris said:
What I just don't get is why everyone finds such pleasure/wants to post so much about Sony "losing"?

Well the short answer is that its fun to laugh at the Sony fans.

The long answer is that it is good tha Sony is losing, because in a free market economy, consumers "vote" with their purchases. Buying a PS3 would encourage other video game makers to create consoles with ridiculous price tags and thus screw over consumers more. But the consumers win this round.

I'm betting MS doesn't drop the price of the 360 this year. Everyone keeps saying that the market is saturated at current pricing, but according to the weekly sales graph they've actually been pretty consistent for the last several months at this price point. The Elite was only in stores for a few days in April, and by all accounts there were only a few of them available (I'd be very curious to see a SKU break-down). I don't see why they can't maintain 40-50K a week through summer until Halo 3 hits at this price point. I've heard the argument that Halo 3 fans bought the 360 at launch, and those that didn't bought it for Gears, but rest assured, Halo 3 will move consoles. The 360 moved 1.1 million units last December at its current price point without Halo 3 and GTA IV, I think after Halo 3 hits they're golden until the end of the year at any price. Maybe they'll do some aggressive bundles, but I don't see them dropping the price until February. Particularly because it appears they're still losing money per console at the current price. The one thing that could change all that, of course, is a price cut by Sony.

Zzoram said:
MS said that half of 360 owners did not have an Xbox. That means, roughly 5 million 360 owners upgraded from Xbox 1. Considering Xbox 1 sold a lot more than that, and Halo 2 sold 8-9 million, there's at least 3-4 million Xbox 1 players who have a strong interest in Halo 3 but haven't "jumped in".

But unfortunately, it won't possibly be able to expand on that interest because, oh, no wait, it's improved on itself in almost EVERY POSSIBLE WAY.

Halo 3 is going to be unspeakably massive. It would've been if it was just the last game rehashed, but the Beta proves that Bungie has raised their game in every conceivable level. Master Chief's dinner date with Niko Bellic is going to be MONUMENTAL this fall.

Flo_Evans

I never had an Xbox and I bought a 360! (not for halo though) :)

I actually thought the 360 was gonna get dreamcasted and the fight would rage between the wii and PS3.... Warren Buffet I am not. :(

Gaborn said:
Anti-fad confirmed! The public doesn't want it yet at the price its being offered. Simple as that.

The people who can afford a $1500-$2000 TV can afford a $400 console ... and I think that's the audience that the current PS3/360 is selling to.

However ... good luck trying to get people to buy a $1500 TV to play video games on if they weren't planning on getting a new TV any time soon. That's the problem when you're hyping HD this, HD that, people are not going to buy your system until they are good and ready to buy a new TV.

It's not just the price of the system. The 360, even at $399.99 should be selling better than that and I think the HD issue is part of the problem. $399.99 for the system is OK, but another $1000+ for a new TV to go with it? Not happening.

The Sphinx said:
Really? You think most existing 360 owners have no interest in Halo 3? Or are you saying you believe 360 LTD will more than double in the month Halo 3 is released?

Holy shit, from August numbers? They could even triple.

Brak

You know what's really scary is that the 360 and PS3 numbers probably wouldn't be that much different if the Wii didn't exist. People just wouldn't be buying videogame consoles. The industry would potentially have been in some serious trouble.

Evlar

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
But unfortunately, it won't possibly be able to expand on that interest because, oh, no wait, it's improved on itself in almost EVERY POSSIBLE WAY.

Halo 3 is going to be unspeakably massive. It would've been if it was just the last game rehashed, but the Beta proves that Bungie has raised their game in every conceivable level. Master Chief's dinner date with Niko Bellic is going to be MONUMENTAL this fall.
How big? Give numbers.

tribal24

Banned
super funk said:
Well the short answer is that its fun to laugh at the Sony fans.

The long answer is that it is good tha Sony is losing, because in a free market economy, consumers "vote" with their purchases. Buying a PS3 would encourage other video game makers to create consoles with ridiculous price tags and thus screw over consumers more. But the consumers win this round.

consumers lose aswell wont be any advancements in technology

Crypto

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
There are a lot of big name titles coming to the Wii this year.

Mario is huge, Smash Bros is almost as big as Halo, and Metroid is pretty big also.

There are also 3rd party games like Dragon Quest Swords, Dewy's Adventure, and MySims to help push the system.

Smash Bros Melee is fairly big. It remains to be seen if it's as popular with the Wii crowd (or to pull in new buyers) as with the Gamecube.

SSBM is the biggest sales title coming for Wii this year no doubt.

To me, 360 clearly has the best lineup for the rest of the year. Tons and tons of big name 3rd party games, everything from Bioshock to Mass Effect.

koam

soundwave05 said:
I don't think it's just the price points.

The HD thing has backfired on both Sony + MS I think. They emphasized HD so much that people feel like there's no point in upgrading until they buy a new TV ... and people will buy a new TV when they feel like, not when Sony/MS tell them to. That simple.

For Nintendo ... it's all about that controller I think, even more than the price. The Wii for what it is, is not exactly cheap either. The GameCube should be selling more than the Wii if price was everything. It's $99 vs. $250 ... you guys might have to face the reality that there's more going on here than the just price point arguement.

I like this post because it's got a lot of truth to it. I'd just like to add a couple of things.

First, the whole HDTV argument. In addition to what you mentioned, Microsoft (haven't tried the ps3 on SD) has greenlit several games that don't even display properly (small blurry text) on SD TVs. They've also forced widescreen which sucks for people with SD TVs (there's no point in a videogame, for a movie, it makes sense since it's cutting off). So basically, people are supposed to but an expensive TV to accompany their new expensive consoles.

As for people arguing about Nintendo's Wii being so cheap. It's the strategy Nintendo chose. Microsoft and Sony could have just as easily chosen to take the cheaper hardware path but they didn't. They went all out and so far, it doesn't seem to be doing well them. Sales of the 360 and PS3 will pick up as HDTV adoption rates increase, price drops hit and people who bought Wiis start looking for a second console.

Sony, work on that PSThree pronto.
Microsoft, lower your damn price, it's been long enough.

Top Bottom