• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2009

carlosp

Banned
anh_duong said:
people who like cars don't go on endlessly about whether ferrari sold more cars than lamborghini every month..

people who like computer games...

all three consoles have reached critical mass i.e. self-sustaining = this is all that counts.

Cars are a different kind of consume product then games. Games have a much higher emotional involvement then cars have, similar to music (movies not so much). If you buy a PS3 game or a PS3 (believe me, not everyone has all 3 consoles at home), you make a social statement about your self. The more people agree with you(buy the same product), the more you am approved in having made the right decision and being accepted for what you did by max # of people.

The console war is not anything new. MJ versus Prince, West coast vs. East coast, SEGA vs. Nintendo and so on.....

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Stumpokapow said:
I don't think there's any worry of people missing the significance of Mario Kart as a Nintendo franchise.
It always was a hit on previous Nintendo consoles, but approaching 7,5 millions units sold in NA, 18 millions WW and still selling strongly, we can see its success is way above previous installments.

Mario Kart is about to become a franchise with +20 millions fans. This is now more than a Halo or GTA fanbase, which is a first. That was my point. My second point was I'm pretty sure the same people who buy Mario Kart will buy New Super Mario Bros. Needless to say NSMB sales will be BIG.

markatisu

fifa is shat compared to pro evo and the other versions. the tennis game is supposed to have borked controls

GST beat all 3 versions of Virtua Tennis combined and had you played the game the controls are fine, the reviewers who complained said they did not get a final copy of the game and went back to rereview for a higher score

EA is dong fine on the Wii when they try, why you dismiss EA Active when it's better then Wii Fit boggles my mind

Sipowicz

Banned
markatisu said:
EA is dong fine on the Wii when they try, why you dismiss EA Active when it's better then Wii Fit boggles my mind

i dont play fitness games, i'm too busy eating pies

i've heard it's good though for fitness games

orion434

PlayStation 2 105.9K
PlayStation 3 210.0K
PSP 140.3K
Xbox 360 215.4K
Wii 277.4K
Nintendo DS 552.9K

My Prediction from Gaf Thread.

[360] 215k - Difference of 0K
[NDS] 490k - Difference of 63K
[PS2] 100k - Difference of 6K
[PS3] 175k - Difference of 35K
[PSP] 150k - Difference of 10K
[WII] 250k - Difference of 27K

Total difference of 141K... man I really underestimated the NDS.

Sadist

Spot the differences: (Because EA likes to look at Metacritic)

EA on Wii 2008
1. Wii: Boom Blox 85
2. Wii: Madden NFL 09 All-Play 82
3. Wii: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 All-Play 81
4. Wii: Rock Band 80
5. Wii: FIFA Soccer 09 All-Play 80
6. Wii: MySims Kingdom 76
7. Wii: Monopoly 70
8. Wii: Skate It 70
9. Wii: SimCity Creator 67
10. Wii: Boogie SuperStar 67
11. Wii: Nerf N-Strike 66
12. Wii: Hasbro Family Game Night 63
13. Wii: FaceBreaker K.O. Party 61
14. Wii: Need for Speed Undercover 54
15. Wii: NBA Live 09 All-Play 51
16. Wii: Celebrity Sports Showdown 50
17. Wii: Ninja Reflex 49
18. Wii: NCAA Football 09 All-Play 49

EA on Wii in 2009:
1. Wii: Beatles: Rock Band, The 90
2. Wii: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 88
3. Wii: Boom Blox Bash Party 86
4. Wii: EA Sports Active 81
5. Wii: Madden NFL 10 78
6. Wii: Grand Slam Tennis 78
7. Wii: NASCAR Kart Racing 70
8. Wii: MySims Racing 68
9. Wii: Trivial Pursuit 68
10. Wii: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 60
11. Wii: SimAnimals 58
12. Wii: MySims Party 56
13. Wii: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 52

And they haven't released Extraction, Spore Hero, Nitro and FIFA yet.

Culex

Banned
I thought for sure that the Wii would be outsold this month's NPD but apparently not! I didn't think that it would start to outsell the Xbox even more.

Sipowicz

Banned
Sadist said:
Spot the differences: (Because EA likes to look at Metacritic)

1. Wii: Beatles: Rock Band, The 90
2. Wii: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 88
3. Wii: Boom Blox Bash Party 86
4. Wii: EA Sports Active 81

3 of those are sequels and one of them's a fitness game, and the only one that appeals to me is tiger woods

my main problem with their wii support (other than their lack of effort) is the lack of imagination they display. a bunch of kart racers, a cartoony puzzle game, an outsourced lightgun game based on a survival horror title, a ton of minigame collections. as far as i'm concerned they're just flooding the wii with cheap shit that i've seen before

and then they top it off by lying to consumers and blackmailing them. as good as they've been on hd systems they're a fucking joke on the wii

marc^o^

Sipowicz said:
they're a fucking joke on the wii
Grand Slam and Tiger Woods are great games, fucking great games actually, and among the very first to use the Motion+. Active Sports is excellent, a new benchmark, for a crowd Sony and Microsoft so want to go after. Dead Space goes beyond what we have seen so far in its genre.

I don't get the joke you're referring to.

Sipowicz said:
nintendo is fucked
By fucked, do you mean doomed?

mujun said:
I wasn't trying to measure your care factor, merely offering a reason that your sarcasm didn't get through.

That said I'm sure most regular posters realize you are a big 360 fan...

... or was it Wii?

Im a PC gamer now actually.

Road

Please, shoot me if anything is wrong.

YTD (Jan-Aug) comparisons:

Code:
	2009	    (+/-)	2008
NDS	5,194k	+20%	+881k	4,313k
X360	2,039k	+17%	+298k	1,741k
Wii	3,554k	-21%	-937k	4,491k
PS3	1,452k	-28%	-567k	2,019k
PS2	1,000k	-37%	-577k	1,577k
PSP	1,182k	-40%	-776k	1,958k

sharath_kumar

Neo Member
AniHawk said:
PS2 24,422,000 (46 months) (July 2004)
PS2 18,390,000 (34 months) (July 2003)

Xbox - 9,481,402 (34 months) (August 2004)
Xbox - 12,630,000 (46 months) (August 2005)

GCN - 7,783,241 (34 months) (August 2004)
GCN - 11,172,000 (46 months) (August 2005)

360 10,944,000 (34 months) (August 2008)
360 15,899,186 (46 months) (August 2009)

PS3 8,245,896 (34 months) (August 2009)

Wii 21,095,181 (34 months) (August 2009)

Not that far apart... if you align their launches..
How far was 360 when PS3 launched?

Sadist

I'm not sure either. The point I'm trying to make is EA actually putting some effort in their Wii titles and it shows. Sipowicz constantly tries to tell what he thinks (as an individual) of EA type of support, but that's not the point of the discussion. It's about EA not being shit on Wii, which can be clearly seen. Personal preferences aside.

markatisu

Sipowicz said:
3 of those are sequels and one of them's a fitness game, and the only one that appeals to me is tiger woods

my main problem with their wii support (other than their lack of effort) is the lack of imagination they display. a bunch of kart racers, a cartoony puzzle game, an outsourced lightgun game based on a survival horror title, a ton of minigame collections. as far as i'm concerned they're just flooding the wii with cheap shit that i've seen before

and then they top it off by lying to consumers and blackmailing them. as good as they've been on hd systems they're a fucking joke on the wii

So basically you do not like EA's output because it does not appeal to you, that is fine but to make the claim they are a joke or their Wii games suck is not correct.

Have you played Boom Blox, it might be cartoony but most of GAF and the critics agree its a very well designed and deep game.

Doing Madden right and not putting a full fledged NHL game on the system are their only real faults, FIFA is pretty good but will always be beat by the Wii version of PES which takes the console seriously.

Dead Space Extraction is also getting rave reviews from E3 and those who have played through it, just because you do not like light gun games does not diminish the fact its not a cheap port or cash in.

Sipowicz

Banned
Sadist said:
I'm not sure either. The point I'm trying to make is EA actually putting some effort in their Wii titles and it shows. Sipowicz constantly tries to tell what he thinks (as an individual) of EA type of support, but that's not the point of the discussion. It's about EA not being shit on Wii, which can be clearly seen. Personal preferences aside.

i wouldn't say EA are putting an effort into their wii titles. apart from tiger woods and EA sports active, and that's only because those titles are guaranteed to sell so much on wii

dead space extraction is an arcade game made by eurocom. boom blox (the 40$ puzzle game) has turned into a classic EA franchise with yearly, incremental updates. fifa plain sucks, madden looks like facebreaker. then there's their unrelenting stream of kart racers, party games and the like

that's the definition of shitness for me

Evlar

Banned
I know NPD threads range all over the place and run off topic like clockwork but this is beginning to be distracting. EA's sales potential and performance on Wii is at issue, not what one particular poster or another thinks about the quality of their line-up.

sharath_kumar said:

The 360 has sold 33% more after 3 years which is ineffect worth a whole years additional sales, that's a sizable gap and MS can stomach being a couple of hundred thousand units a month behind without too much bother for a wee while at least

orion434

sharath_kumar said:

This IS aligning their launches...

In the first 34 months the X360 sold 10,944,000
In the first 34 months the PS3 sold 8,245,896

In the first 46 months the X360 sold 15,899,186
In the NEXT 12 months the PS3 will need to sell 7,653,290 to be EVEN with X360 aligned ( month 46 ) which is ~ 93% of what the PS3 sold in nearly 3 Years.

This data is posted in every NPD thread.

Man the Wii tracking much better than the PS2... in the next 12 months it needs to sell ~ 3M to be even... they could probably do it in the next 3 - 4 months.

Nintendo really needs to do something about the Wii. Wi Fit Plus obvious isn't going to do anything since Wii Sports Resorts didn't, and there is a chance that New Super Mario Bros. Wii could end up selling a vast majority to an already existing audience.

soldat7

DR2K said:
Price and value. The perception of the Wii has gone straight to hell. Sales continue to spiral downward, while X360 and now PS3 see growth. Another Mario game and a slight upgrade to Wii fit isn't going to appeal to new users as seen with WSR. Unless Nintendo does something drastic, then things will only continue in the same direction.

*sayidlaugh.gif*

Alcibiades

markatisu said:
Dead Space Extraction is also getting rave reviews from E3 and those who have played through it, just because you do not like light gun games does not diminish the fact its not a cheap port or cash in.
Appreciating light-gun games doesn't change the fact that they are going cheap on Wii owners.

I would give them credit if it seemed like Extraction was getting a similar budget to Dead Space but by all indications (including the fact that it's a rail game) this is a considerably smaller effort than Dead Space.

When Dead Space 2 is released EA will have a chance to truly prove themselves on Wii (should they choose to make a serious effort on the system).

Boom Blox, Rock Band, and their their M+ sports games are strong efforts but it seems they are content to drop the ball with their "AAA" franchises (still no sign of Dead Space or Mirror's Edge, and no release dates for Dante's Inferno or Dragon Age) on the system.

Putting in a half-hearted effort isn't going to cut it. They need to fire on every count and push for every inch of marketshare and audience on Wii but they seem content to push only products that aren't very risky in the financial sense (since they are all pretty inexpensive projects relatively speaking). Granted they could be risky in the "try something new" but it's not really costing them anything compared to their 360/PS3 titles.

"Not sh*t" on the Wii doesn't mean they are doing anything particularly spectacular either. Of course putting out a B-grade horror light-gun game is better than some shovelware pet game, but only marginally better compared to a situation where let's say they had put out proper versions of their all their AAA franchises (NCAA and Madden included).

markatisu

Flying_Phoenix said:
Nintendo really needs to do something about the Wii. Wi Fit Plus obvious isn't going to do anything since Wii Sports Resorts didn't, and there is a chance that New Super Mario Bros. Wii could end up selling a vast majority to an already existing audience.

There was a slight uptick in Wii sales due to WSR, I would assume WF+ will do the same. NSMB Wii will sell to core and casual, it's bonus is that it's coming during the holidays which sees large console sales regardless of games

Sipowicz

Banned
Shiggy said:
Why did Wii Sports Resort sell more this month than last month?

i think it'll be one of those titles with legs, but i dont think it'll push hardware to any significant extent

the people who want it are probably the same people who bought a wii for wii sports

Sipowicz said:
i think it'll be one of those titles with legs, but i dont think it'll push hardware to any significant extent

the people who want it are probably the same people who bought a wii for wii sports

If the idea of improved motion controls won't sell consoles then where does that leave Natal and Sony's wand?

Sipowicz

Banned
marc^o^ said:
Easy: new EA games are not shitty, and Nintendo is not fucked.

EA's wii support is definately shitty in my opinion but tiger woods is good.

As fpr Nintendo I should have said the wii is fucked in the west. i think it'll still sell well, especially around christmas but the days of insane sales are well past it. the xbox and ps3 are already nipping at its heels and they get much better support from western developers.

i dont really see anything on the horizon that could really push hardware apart from new super mario brothers

lowlylowlycook said:
If the idea of improved motion controls won't sell consoles then where does that leave Natal and Sony's wand?

i'm not sure tbh. at the end of the day those things are just peripherals and it might be hard for people to associate them with the PS3 or 360. they're also going to be prohibitively expensive as i understand.

i do think they'll improve the fortunes of the ps3 and xbox though. some motion controls is better than no motion controls and as you said the public doesnt seem to care too much about the accuracy of them

speculawyer said:
That is why they bought a 360 or PS3. :D

I have two younger brothers who were real devoted Madden players on PS2, they loved it. This gen, they each only have Wiis and really have no interest in a 360 or PS3. Wii Madden isn't a suitable substitute for PS2 Madden, so as a result, they pretty much stopped playing Madden completely and spend more time on fantasy football. I suspect they're not the only ones, either. All they needed was a "Traditional Madden" release on the Wii that was geared toward Madden fans and they would have been fine.

Ashes

Banned
rayner said:
This IS aligning their launches...

In the first 34 months the X360 sold 10,944,000
In the first 34 months the PS3 sold 8,245,896

In the first 46 months the X360 sold 15,899,186
In the NEXT 12 months the PS3 will need to sell 7,653,290 to be EVEN with X360 aligned ( month 46 ) which is ~ 93% of what the PS3 sold in nearly 3 Years.

This data is posted in every NPD thread.

Man the Wii tracking much better than the PS2... in the next 12 months it needs to sell ~ 3M to be even... they could probably do it in the next 3 - 4 months.

pretty much agree with all this.

Just to cover another point, is there a graph showing consoles sold per price point...?
ie.. how much did the ps2 sell in all the time it was at the current ps3 pricepoint per month?
how about the doing the same with the wii and ps2?

my prediction: it shouldn't really tell us anything different. But it just gives us another answer to another argument that has been raised.
And I want to see how big the gap/difference is while only looking at the price variable.

marc^o^

Sipowicz said:
i dont really see anything on the horizon that could really push hardware apart from new super mario brothers
Do you know Toy Story Mania will be sold at the end of each Buzz attraction in Disneylands? Do you know ubisoft will advertise a Dance and a Natal-like-fitness game on TV? Have you heard of Mario & Sonic? TNMT? WiiFit+? Rabid Rabbits? EA Sports Active 2? These games are system sellers. Shocking. You don't seem to understand it, certainly because these games target other audiences than yours.

Then you have games like Silent Hill, Final Fantasy CC, Endless Ocean 2, Resident Evil, Tatsunoko, Muramasa, Trackmania, NMH2, etc., which can make people want a wii on top of their current console.

And Mario Kart.

operon

[360] 212k Difference -3k
[NDS] 513k Difference -39k
[PS2] 90k Difference -15K
[PS3] 200k Difference -10k
[PSP] 112k Difference -28k
[WII] 205k Difference - 72k

Not a bad second entry tho I messed myself up with the silly wii prediction.

wazoo

Sipowicz said:
EA's wii support is definately shitty in my opinion but tiger woods is good.

As fpr Nintendo I should have said the wii is fucked in the west. i think it'll still sell well, especially around christmas but the days of insane sales are well past it. the xbox and ps3 are already nipping at its heels and they get much better support from western developers.

They are just close in monthly sales. The gap is still there and still increasing (but only slightly).
And Christmas is where most console sales of the year happen. So saying, they will only do well at christmas is a bit too far from being fucked.

At least you see it.

TunaLover

It probably has been said here, but It couldn´t be the case in which Nintendo got a brick wall in the new expanded market? I mean WSR is very telling, it move gross software amounts that didn´t see reflected in hardware sales. I think Nintendo needs to move to the more core audience, in order to keep their actual audience, and try to win over the harder PS2 crow. If you ask me, the Sakurai new studio would be the sign that Nintendo certainly is keeping an eye to that option.

Shiggy said:
Why did Wii Sports Resort sell more this month than last month?

The Wii Sports Resort crowd isn't the type of audience that is preordering and picking up games the same day. The game will be another mega hit Wii forever burner.

Barrett2

No top 20 yet?

Edit: The thing I most look forward to next month is the RB:Beatles numbers. I previously thought the game would have underwhelming sales, but sweet Jesus at the avalanche of advertising and buzz this game has. Should be fascinating.

Opiate

TunaLover said:
It probably has been said here, but It couldn´t be the case in which Nintendo got a brick wall in the new expanded market? I mean WSR is very telling, it move gross software amounts that didn´t see reflected in hardware sales. I think Nintendo needs to move to the more core audience, in order to keep their actual audience, and try to win over the harder PS2 crow. If you ask me, the Sakurai new studio would be the sign that Nintendo certainly is keeping an eye to that option.

I just don't think they're going to do this. Viewed through the lense of Nintendo, that battle is grossly inefficient.

Which is my way of saying: I think they'd rather sell less units and make more money than sell more units by spending the money it would take to compete in this "hardcore" arena.

The only motivating force to combat this now is their annual shipment forecasting; that's a powerful motivator, but so are annual profit forecasts.

orion434

Ashes1396 said:
pretty much agree with all this.

Just to cover another point, is there a graph showing consoles sold per price point...?
ie.. how much did the ps2 sell in all the time it was at the current ps3 pricepoint per month?
how about the doing the same with the wii and ps2?

my prediction: it shouldn't really tell us anything different. But it just gives us another answer to another argument that has been raised.
And I want to see how big the gap/difference is while only looking at the price variable?

Playing "catch-up" is a bitch... for the PS3 to "catch-up" to X360 aligned ( month 46 ) in the next 12 months it would have to sell ~ 263% of what it's been averaging over the past 3 years. Why would the PS3 sell over 2 & 1/2 times more this year than the past years? Next August PS3 would have to sell 550K... This NOV 990K, DEC 1,902K... This is just to be EVEN with the X360 TODAY. So the X360 will still have a lead of whatever it sells from Now until next August. Of course this is only in the US so the situation is better for SONY in other territories, in most cases it's EVEN or well ahead of the X360.

TunaLover

Opiate said:
I just don't think they're going to do this. Viewed through the lense of Nintendo, that battle is grossly inefficient.

Which is my way of saying: I think they'd rather sell less units and make more money than sell more units by spending the money it would take to compete in this "hardcore" arena.

The only motivating force to combat this now is their annual shipment forecasting; that's a powerful motivator, but so are annual profit forecasts.
That´s true, but bear in mind that Nintendo moves to turtle pace, I think that if Sakurai new core game is somehow successful, Nintendo could start relocating more money to this kind of projects, even start new studios, or start more aggresive joint ventures with third parties (it´s already happening).

And sure Nintendo is the recipe of a conservative company, but they sure are worried about it´s marketshare right now. At least it´s like sound every Iwata interview.

Tom Penny

Sony is never catching X360 in the US. It needs to focus on Japan and everywere else. It's been said a million times but they need GT5 to come out this year but i'm not holding my breathe. That's the only that will make a significant dent in the gap IMO.

orion434

wazoo said:
to be even, ps3 would have to beat their own 13M forecast, no ??

That 13M forcast is worldwide... these numbers are for US only. They would have to pull around Wii's numbers of 2008 to be even & aligned in NPD numbers.

Alcibiades said:
Appreciating light-gun games doesn't change the fact that they are going cheap on Wii owners.

I would give them credit if it seemed like Extraction was getting a similar budget to Dead Space but by all indications (including the fact that it's a rail game) this is a considerably smaller effort than Dead Space.

When Dead Space 2 is released EA will have a chance to truly prove themselves on Wii (should they choose to make a serious effort on the system).

Boom Blox, Rock Band, and their their M+ sports games are strong efforts but it seems they are content to drop the ball with their "AAA" franchises (still no sign of Dead Space or Mirror's Edge, and no release dates for Dante's Inferno or Dragon Age) on the system.

Putting in a half-hearted effort isn't going to cut it. They need to fire on every count and push for every inch of marketshare and audience on Wii but they seem content to push only products that aren't very risky in the financial sense (since they are all pretty inexpensive projects relatively speaking). Granted they could be risky in the "try something new" but it's not really costing them anything compared to their 360/PS3 titles.

"Not sh*t" on the Wii doesn't mean they are doing anything particularly spectacular either. Of course putting out a B-grade horror light-gun game is better than some shovelware pet game, but only marginally better compared to a situation where let's say they had put out proper versions of their all their AAA franchises (NCAA and Madden included).

I thought the entire point for developing on Wii was that you could spend less money to make a game that Wii owners want versus however much it costs to make a game that 360/PS3/PC owners want.

If all you want is downports of HD games you're going to see a lot of Dead Rising/Modern Warfare-izing of popular games - this approach flat out does not work. If you look at something like Tiger Woods, EA Active, Grand Slam Tennis, or Dead Space Extraction, you see games that are built from the beginning with Wii and Motion Controls in mind, and they've been very successful. I think that's the direction you'll see EA go, not porting Dead Space 2/Mirror's Edge 2/Mass Effect 2.

They stopped with NCAA for the same reason they may end up dropping Madden - Wii owners don't want it. They tried with Madden 07 and 08, they tried something different with the All Play and Mascot and super deformed crap, none of it worked, no one wants to play football games with current motion control setups, we get it and I think EA gets it too.

Top Bottom