• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2009

Oh I see. Thanks. I hoped for better, even though it was tracked for just three days...and it was a compilation of 2 gamecube games and 1 Wii game.

Then again, Batman did insane numbers for just 3 days...

I wonder what Nintendo thinks of this, considering they're heavily backing Metroid Other M.

AniHawk

PS2 24,422,000 (46 months) (July 2004)
PS2 18,390,000 (34 months) (July 2003)

Xbox - 9,481,402 (34 months) (August 2004)
Xbox - 12,630,000 (46 months) (August 2005)

GCN - 7,783,241 (34 months) (August 2004)
GCN - 11,172,000 (46 months) (August 2005)

360 10,944,000 (34 months) (August 2008)
360 15,899,186 (46 months) (August 2009)

PS3 8,245,896 (34 months) (August 2009)

Wii 21,095,181 (34 months) (August 2009)

AniHawk

Rad Agast said:
I know this is an NPD thread but how do things look for Sony and their worldwide sales forecast for this fiscal year?

They basically have to hit them, what with the rebranding and new look and big name first-party software. Even if it actually falls short, they'll meet their targets by stuffing the channels or use some fuzzy accounting.

Rad Agast

AniHawk said:
They basically have to hit them, what with the rebranding and new look and big name first-party software. Even if it actually falls short, they'll meet their targets by stuffing the channels or use some fuzzy accounting.

Do we have any reliable estimates on how they've been doing so far this fiscal year?

onken

I still expect to see the Wii ahead over the holidays, but by nowhere near the same margin as last year.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Metroid Prime Trilogy's numbers are not bad for being a re-release. A very meaty re-release, but a re-release nonetheless.

EDIT: Oh wait, it was only out for three days? That's actually pretty good.

Rad Agast said:
Do we have any reliable estimates on how they've been doing so far this fiscal year?

In short: bad

One of the reasons everybody knew the Slim and/or a price cut had to be coming is that Sony would not revise their estimates to a realistic goal, despite the fact that PS3 had been selling less YoY for many months straight.

I doubt even this will be enough for them to hit their targets, but like Anihawk said, they'll probably just fudge the numbers like they have before to make it look like they did.

Son of Godzilla said:
Halo 3 was at 50% userbase penetration in the US like a week after it released, it's been selling consoles since the 360 launched.

I agree. I just don't understand why people are saying "everyone who wanted a 360 for halo has one already" when it is continuing to sell consoles to this day.

Combined with the fact that it is being advertised totally differently to any other halo game and has different main characters i could see it bringing in a few new people.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Rad Agast said:

Well we have their actual numbers for the first quarter of the FY. 1.1m.

They'd have to hit extraordinary numbers to hit 13m by the end of the FY. I figure ~9m in the last two quarters. I wouldn't be overly surprised to see a revision. I mean even with Slim etc. those are huge numbers.

As for NPD - things are pretty interesting right now. I'd love to see a distribution of PS3 sales over the month. I expected PS3 to have a 'normal' month in the mid 100s with the last few days only balancing out an awful first three weeks or so (I'm guessing - I assume sales were pretty rough ahead of the slim's availability and the price cut).

mujun

pseudocaesar said:
Uh-oh. Im not getting a Gaf reputation am I.

I wasn't trying to measure your care factor, merely offering a reason that your sarcasm didn't get through.

That said I'm sure most regular posters realize you are a big 360 fan...

... or was it Wii?

AniHawk

mujun said:
I wasn't trying to measure your care factor, merely offering a reason that your sarcasm didn't get through.

That said I'm sure most regular posters realize you are a big 360 fan...

... or was it Wii?

PS3.

EazyB

Banned
I don't think ODST will give the 360 a Halo 3 level bump but it should help move a few units if it's marketed heavily enough. Is there anything coming out on the Wii in September to reverse its downward trend? If not I can easily see the 360 outselling it, it's already gotten close with no major releases.

I really have no idea what kind of numbers the slim will push. I think it's safe to say it'll outsell both the 360 and Wii but it could do so by a lot or just a bit. Sony could really use some incredible sales for the rest of the year, and I hope they accomplish this too. They're really pushing some quality titles and MS deserves a kick in the ass.

AniHawk said:
116kinl.jpg

AdventureRacing said:
I agree. I just don't understand why people are saying "everyone who wanted a 360 for halo has one already" when it is continuing to sell consoles to this day.

Combined with the fact that it is being advertised totally differently to any other halo game and has different main characters i could see it bringing in a few new people.

I agree, how much was the 360 at Halo's launch? now its a lot cheaper the marketing might encourage more to jump in, after all Halo 2 is still doing incredibly well on XBL and those guys are still involved enougth to fork out for XBL subscriptions so there are still people out there.

I think a boost of 50k to 100k is reasonable if as expected the game gets a big marketing push, I mean the trailer is pretty awesome for the game.

legend166

I wonder if Nintendo well ever come to the conclusion that "oh well the hardcore know games are coming so we don't need to advertise!" is a load of crap.

CTLance

Boooh. I have very little time to spare for browsing the web nowadays, so I'm late to this NPD thread. Thanks for the numbers, and ...wow. Looking forward to what will happen "next month".

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
legend166 said:
I wonder if Nintendo well ever come to the conclusion that "oh well the hardcore know games are coming so we don't need to advertise!" is a load of crap.

At this point, I think any money Nintendo does to truly focus on those people and the 3rd parties that support that audience is a waste of money and nothing more. The industry has become so ignorantly segregated it's revolting. :(

billy.sea

Banned
I don't think any system this generation will beat Wii's lifetime sale. (As much as the PS3 sale seem promising.)
This is not based on how great the Wii is selling alone. But mostly based on how Wii is almost reaching the PS2 lifetime's sale already in much fewer months. And I don't think the 360 or PS3 will sell better than the PS2 over its lifetime.

xGen said:
Any prediction of WORLDWIDE sales?

From what I have been told, NPD is working with the worldwide partners to deliver a w.w. tracking tool. All of the historical data won't be given to press for obvious reasons but there will be a next gen hardware tracking tool (widgets?) that will be available for all. Maybe delivered via some as-of-yet unannounced Web site? Maybe gfknpdcharttrackenterbrainmediacreate.com? :lol

jax (old)

Banned
BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM* (360; Aug-09) 303,000
BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM* PS3; Aug-09) 290,000

wow. that's amazingly close. I gueess the joker influenced the numbers?

Jax said:
BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM* (360; Aug-09) 303,000
BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM* PS3; Aug-09) 290,000

wow. that's amazingly close. I gueess the joker influenced the numbers?

Exclusive stuff seems to have made a difference in the past as well, I think we underestimate how many people have both consoles and also how not getting the full version puts people off spending $60... (funnily enougth)

System: Average weeks ownership (Average purchase date)

Wii: 68.0 (May 11, 2008)
PS3: 72.1 (April 12, 2008)
X360: 94.1 (November 10, 2007)

Aaron Strife said:
It's really odd seeing "SQUARE-ENIX" next to a Batman game, I gotta say.
Not that I disagree, but in the past it was pretty weird to see Electronic Arts on a Final Fantasy game or Square on a Dragon Quest game, too.
AniHawk said:
This

looks better than this
A comparison of stills also totally nullifies the advantage of NSMB's polygonal characters.
AniHawk said:
The 3D in NSMB is not used well. In Yoshi Story, it's part of a style. In NSMB DS, it's the best they could do with all the different animations needed.
Though I see you disagree on that.
billy.sea said:
But mostly based on how Wii is almost reaching the PS2 lifetime's sale already in much fewer months.
onken said:
Billy is heavily exaggerating or means differently than I understand. Comparing US numbers Wii is at a point that took PS2 months longer to reach, but not years longer.
dialmydrive said:
From what I have been told, NPD is working with the worldwide partners to deliver a w.w. tracking tool.
Interesting.
All of the historical data won't be given to press for obvious reasons but there will be a next gen hardware tracking tool (widgets?) that will be available for all. Maybe delivered via some as-of-yet unannounced Web site? Maybe gfknpdcharttrackenterbrainmediacreate.com? :lol
VGWidjetz

Woodsy

Banned
AdventureRacing said:

Because those of us who think Halo ODST will not push systems do not think that the people now picking up 360's are doing it BECAUSE of Halo. That being said, if you are someone that finally got around to getting a 360, it's natural that you might pickup Halo because it's the system's biggest franchise - but that doesn't at all mean that the availability of Halo was what drove your purchase.

Woodsy said:
Because those of us who think Halo ODST will not push systems do not think that the people now picking up 360's are doing it BECAUSE of Halo. That being said, if you are someone that finally got around to getting a 360, it's natural that you might pickup Halo because it's the system's biggest franchise - but that doesn't at all mean that the availability of Halo was what drove your purchase.

It's still the systems biggest franchise and it's the first one new buyers look at, to me it's still selling systems.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
EviLore said:
Data care of NPD Group
MARIO KART W/WHEEL (WII; Apr-08) 120,000
Am I wrong to say Mario kart has become the most important franchise this gen, all consoles combined? It sold better than any other (non wii) game and it keeps being in the top ten. This is what we call a killer app, a system seller. It's a safe bet that Nintendo will have a Mario Kart as a launch game for their next console.

And I expect New Super Mario Bros to get the same success, based on the exact same audience.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
marc^o^ said:
Am I wrong to say Mario kart has become the most important franchise this gen, all consoles combined? It sold better than any other (non wii) game and it keeps being in the top ten. This is what we call a killer app, a system seller. It's a safe bet that Nintendo will have a Mario Kart as a launch game for their next console.

well, ignoring the duh aspect of what you're saying, wii play is literally the best-selling american game of all time, even combining multi-sku games. it's true no one buys a wii for wii play, but more than half of those who buy a wii buy wii play afterward.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Stumpokapow said:
well, ignoring the duh aspect of what you're saying, wii play is literally the best-selling american game of all time, even combining multi-sku games. it's true no one buys a wii for wii play, but more than half of those who buy a wii buy wii play afterward.
What is duh? As I said I didn't include Wii Play/Fit/Sports to keep a comparion with "traditionnal" games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
marc^o^ said:
What is duh? As I said I didn't include Wii Play/Fit/Sports to keep a comparion with "traditionnal" games.

"duh" that Mario Kart is a truly significant franchise. It's been in Nintendo's top three every console since, uh, SNES.

Mario Kart N64: 4.8 million, #3 in total sales, third-highest Nintendo after Mario 64 and Goldeneye
Mario Kart GBA: 2.3 million, #9 in total sales on the console, third-highest Nintendo franchise after Super Mario Advance and Pokemans
Mario Kart GCN: 2.6 million, #3 total, third-highest after Smash and Sunshine.
Mario Kart DS: ~5.1 million, #2, 2nd after NSMB--There's a few data gaps here so someone else can confirm this.

(US numbers)

I am not near most of my numbers to check, but on Wii it should be #3 after Wii Fit and Wii Play. So I don't think there's any worry of people missing the significance of Mario Kart as a Nintendo franchise.

Sipowicz

Banned
AniHawk said:
That's not really what I meant. I meant it's the last of the actual system sellers. I don't think Microsoft has one outside of Natal+software and Sony's only one outside their own motion solution is Gran Turismo 5.

the problem is though that they need system sellers. they need to increase the baseline sales of the system in the west (as well as japan). they have nothing that could do that in america apart from nsmb wii, and that wont last forever

they should take a page out of the DS's book. it's got something for everyone

AniHawk said:
Okay, first off- Extraction's a good game. Get over it.

we'll see, but even you have to admit it's far from good support. it's a low budget arcade game spinoff that's been outsourced to eurocom. it's not impressive, whichever way you slice it.

the wii gets better exclusives than PS3/360 but that's to be expected seeing as it's so different and it doesnt get multiplats (or at least good ones). it's the quality and number of these exclusives that i'm not happy with.

EA is a good example. outside of the tiger woods their content is subpar. lightgun games, kart racers, party games, cutesy low budget puzzle games. what's it going to take for a decent, internally developed title with a bit of a budget? what about a game from one of their more talented teams like criterion

FrankT

Besides Sony's pre-NPD PR have any of them put their PR responses out?

Edit: Here is MS's wrapup it seems;

In an official statement released in response to the NPD Group's US industry sales results for August 2009, Microsoft has said that the Xbox 360 remains the only console to show year-to-date growth in North America.

The Xbox 360 sold 215,000 units in the US during August, and system sales are up nearly 17 percent year-to-date. “Driving demand are budget-conscious consumers understanding that Xbox 360 delivers more entertainment value per dollar than any other console,” Microsoft said, adding that the recent price reduction of the Xbox 360 Elite model to $299 generated first week sales “surpassing our expectations.”

Introduced on August 28, the Xbox 360 price reduction also drove a 43 per cent sales boost in the UK in the week it took effect, and a further 29 per cent week-on-week sales increase over the following seven days.

Microsoft’s US arm also noted that third party sales on the Xbox 360 hit $130.4 million during August, with Madden NFL 10 topping the software chart and Batman: Arkham Asylum placing fourth. “Xbox 360 has maintained the streak of leading third-party sales for every month of 2009,” it said.

The platform holder’s Summer of Arcade campaign - which featured the digital releases of Shadow Complex, Trials HD, TMNT: Turtles In Time Reshelled, Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and ‘Splosion Man via Xbox Live Arcade - saw sales more than double from last year’s campaign, the company said.

Echoing similar comments from Sony, Microsoft also said that upcoming platform exclusive releases bode well for its console. “Xbox 360 is also home to some of the season’s most-anticipated blockbuster titles with a line-up of exclusives that includes Halo 3: ODST in September, Forza Motorsport 3 in October, and Left 4 Dead 2 this November.”

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/microsoft-touts-xbox-360-sales-growth

Wasn't aware MS has taken every month for third party sales this year.

anh_duong

Banned
people who like cars don't go on endlessly about whether ferrari sold more cars than lamborghini every month..

people who like computer games...

all three consoles have reached critical mass i.e. self-sustaining = this is all that counts.

LosDaddie said:
Another good NPD. I'm glad to see Madden10 chart at #1 and Batman get 2 spots.

Sept NPD is going to be hilarious. :D

Only if things don't work out as we expect thou? I expect Wii to go up a bit, PS3 sales to double and 360 sales to get a bit of a boost because of ODST.

Unless of course the fanboys read too much into it and start claiming some sort of total victory or something!

Sadist

Sipowicz said:
EA is a good example. outside of the tiger woods their content is subpar. lightgun games, kart racers, party games, cutesy low budget puzzle games. what's it going to take for a decent, internally developed title with a bit of a budget? what about a game from one of their more talented teams like criterion
You're forgetting Grand Slam Tennis and Boom Blox. And of course, EA Sports Active. Don't know what's up with FIFA but the past few years were good. EA will also release NFS Nitro.

Criterion doesn't want to do Wii games, if my memory serves me right.

szaromir

Banned
LosDaddie said:
Another good NPD. I'm glad to see Madden10 chart at #1 and Batman get 2 spots.

Sept NPD is going to be hilarious. :D
How is it a good month? It's down YOY, Madden sales were discribed as "discouraging" by EA. Although Batman is probably meeting expectations, given that previous Batman games weren't huge commercially or critically.

Sipowicz

Banned
Sadist said:
You're forgetting Grand Slam Tennis and Boom Blox. And of course, EA Sports Active. Don't know what's up with FIFA but the past few years were good. EA will also release NFS Nitro.

Criterion doesn't want to do Wii games, if my memory serves me right.

fifa is shat compared to pro evo and the other versions. the tennis game is supposed to have borked controls

boom blox is supposed to be alright, but again it's a full priced puzzle game with cartoon animals and they just seem to be iterating on it every year

if it was on any other system it would be a ten dollar downloadable game

Sadist

Sipowicz said:
fifa is shat compared to pro evo and the other versions. the tennis game is supposed to have borked controls

boom blox is supposed to be alright, but again it's a full priced puzzle game with cartoon animals and they just seem to be iterating on it every year

if it was on any other system it would be a ten dollar downloadable game
You're a very, very critical guy. :p

Grandslam is actually cool, it has a few little issues but it's still a good game. Don't know about the American prizes for Boom Blox, but in Europe it's € 40 at best, most of the times its € 34 or lower. Point being, EA's output might not be that appealing for you as an individual, but the quality is having a upward spike. EA wants to succeed on Wii.

creamsugar said:
MPT < 35K

So the Batman:Bioshock analogy is complete, another Metroid game sent to die in its wake. :/

I don't see why Halo ODST won't move systems or at least provide a short term bump, it's a completely different experience from Halo 3 and it's still Halo. In Japan, don't most systems still get a weekly bump when a DQ/FF sequel is released?

Same for Gay Tony, people shouldn't underestimate that Rockstar is going to push this like it's the Vice City to GTA4, and now that it's at retail it will have much more store exposure.

Top Bottom