• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2010

Boney said:
3DS launch from Nintendo is Kid Icarus, Paper Mario, Nintendogs, Steel Driver and Pilotwings. With Mario Kart, Zelda and Animal Crossing soon to follow.

From what I can see, it's not that much of an effort. Shouldn't really cut into their output significately.

I don't see the new Paper Mario coming out at launch. In fact, I only see Nintendogs, Steel Diver, Pilot Wings and Star Fox as launch titles from Nintendo, given that they seem to be the only games with something on the bottom screen when shown at E3.

Chrange

Banned
I don't get why people keep saying Live increases will have hurt sales in this or even the next NPD. The increase hasn't happened yet. It doesn't come into effect until November. If anything I'd expect one year sub cards to do bigger business leading up to it.

Among those not switching to PC, of course.

Owzers

Chet Rippo said:
I don't see the new Paper Mario coming out at launch. In fact, I only see Nintendogs, Steel Diver, Pilot Wings and Star Fox as launch titles from Nintendo, given that they seem to be the only games with something on the bottom screen when shown at E3.

Whatever I think the launch titles for 3ds will be, i'll pick one out of a hat and that will be it. Even the ones that are sure things are not sure things.

Boney

Banned
Chet Rippo said:
Ok, I don't have a crystal ball, that's certainly a valid position, not that it really matters though. IS can still work on a lot of games at the same time no?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
can't help but feel much of anything more than apathy for these numbers nowadays

Boney said:
Ok, I don't have a crystal ball, that's certainly a valid position, not that it really matters though. IS can still work on a lot of games at the same time no?

Didn't Intelligent Systems just come out with a new Fire Emblem? I could see it possible they could have some other project going on.

Shnookums

I hope Mafia 2 has some legs. The demo was great, but I just can't justify picking it up for a while since I haven't even finished Red Dead Redemption (among other things).

Tmac

Road said:
1. Madden NFL 11 (Electronic Arts, Xbox 360) -- 920,800
2. Madden NFL 11 (Electronic Arts, PlayStation 3) -- 893,600

For quite a while multiplataform games does not reflect the intalled base numbers of the xbox and ps3. That can be a interesting subject of analysis.

Whats the reason(s)?

- Free PSN online play?
- Inflated 360 installed base due to early gen hardware failures?
- Lack of or over competition of games in one of another plat?

Shnookums

Tmac said:
For quite a while multiplataform games does not reflect the intalled base numbers of the xbox and ps3. That can be a interesting subject of analysis.

Whats the reason(s)?

- Free PSN online play?

Somewhat different demographic?

Honestly, I see the 360 staying on top for the rest of the year, until December that is.

September: Halo Reach
October: Fable III (this probably won't push consoles though, but it's worth pointing out either way)
November: Kinect

Gravijah

Tmac said:

Whats the reason(s)?

- Free PSN online play?

smfh

Jonsoncao

Banned
Tmac said:

Whats the reason(s)?

- Free PSN online play?

In every US open game and every NFL game, I saw Madden 11 being advertised as a PS3 exclusive, even 1% of those audiences go out and buy PS3 version, that would be a huge number

wizword

Banned
Tmac said:

Whats the reason(s)?

- Free PSN online play?
More like xbox 360 owners buy shooters.

Chrange said:
I don't get why people keep saying Live increases will have hurt sales in this or even the next NPD. The increase hasn't happened yet. It doesn't come into effect until November. If anything I'd expect one year sub cards to do bigger business leading up to it.

Among those not switching to PC, of course.

No, it's the new sales meme. First was red rings getting replaced (even though they were free to fix), then banned consoles, now it's the live increase.

Tmac said:

Whats the reason(s)?

- Free PSN online play?

We've already been over this. Sony paid for exclusive advertising with Madden this year.

Gravijah said:

Dude, it's Tmac... he delivers in these threads.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
markatisu said:
That is the bread and butter of the industry, its where Nintendo often makes up for lost sales throughout the year.

Wii Party and Just Dance 2 are going to do killer sales, regardless of what Kirby and Donkey Kong do (do not underestimate Kirby, he will get you if you do :lol )

I have my doubts about Just Dance 2. Wii sequels that target the blue ocean never seem to outsell their predecessors. Boom Blox, Shaun White, Jillian Michaels, Game Party, etc etc etc.

thcsquad said:
PS3's 2010 January to August is 40% higher than 2009. 360 slim's impact might be comparable, but you have to realize that since the PS3 was starting from a lower level, the percentage increase is very high.

Only thing you can directly compare is the first three months I guess. I am just so surprised because I perceived the PS3 slim as a legitimate price drop. I bought both redesigns in their second month but I am a console whore.

So yeah Wii 2 for holiday 2011 should pretty much be on lock. The system has been declining for sometime now.

And man those software sales. I'm beginning to fear that my previous prejudgments were more than a fluke.

And holy shit at the PSP! :lol

WaltJay

Tmac said:

Whats the reason(s)?

- Free PSN online play?

- Sony sponsoring the Madden commercials for the second year in a row.

Gravijah

Flying_Phoenix said:
So yeah Wii 2 for holiday 2011 should pretty much be on lock. The system has been declining for sometime now.

And man those software sales. I'm beginning to fear that my previous prejudgments were more than a fluke.

And holy shit at the PSP! :lol

Two consoles in one year? I doubt it.

Mastperf

Quincey said:
Mafia sold 1/4 million in 5 days. PC sales also. PC was also the superior version by far.
They should have done a better job on the console versions. If you're gonna focus your biggest effort on the version that's more likely to sell the least, don't be surprised when this happens.

Gravijah

OldJadedGamer said:
It was already pointed out that Nintendo launched the GBA and the GameCube 6 months apart from each other and in the same year.

Didn't the GBA end up having a rather short life?

thcsquad

7echnicolor said:
Honestly, I see the 360 staying on top for the rest of the year, until December that is.

September: Halo Reach
October: Fable III (this probably won't push consoles though, but it's worth pointing out either way)
November: Kinect

...GT5?

thcsquad said:
4. How the fuck is MW2 still on the list?
A more important question is...

If 9 month's later, the game can still chart, Why the fuck are we rushing out a sequel year after year??? It makes no sense to me

Gravijah

thcsquad said:

Do you think that will push the PS3 past the 360/Wii?
Str0ngStyle said:

If 9 month's later, the game can still chart, Why the fuck are we rushing out a sequel year after year??? It makes no sense to me

Because it makes them even more money.

EagleEyes

The bottom line is after almost 5 years on the market the 360 is having its best year yet and shows no signs of slowing down the rest of the year. Bravo to the Xbox brand for hanging in there when it didn't look to hot last gen.

I think we're beginning to see a trend here in terms of software sales. Aside from major releases like Halo and COD, I expect there to be a decrease year-on-year. If this trend continues throughout the year, it could lead to a rush for the next-gen consoles in an attempt to revitalise the market.

Snipes424

chespace said:
GT5 will sell a shitload but it's not going to push console numbers.

There's really no way of knowing that. Although you are probably right on a large scale, I have a couple of friends who are going to go out and buy GT5 and a PS3 slim when it comes out, and I'm sure other people are going to do the same.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Snipes424 said:
There's really no way of knowing that. Although you are probably right on a large scale, I have a couple of friends who are going to go out and buy GT5 and a PS3 slim when it comes out, and I'm sure other people are going to do the same.

It will sell systems, but it would have sold a lot more systems if it had come out, say, 2 years ago.

Smokey said:
Damn, 360 on top for 3rd month in a row?
Whipped Spartan said:
Is it safe to say the 360 slim had more of an impact than the PS3 Slim now?
% increase PS3 started off very low so no. Speaking of which, some ppl were waiting for a bump from all the "pent up demand" they imagined would occur from the shortages. Why I dunno.

btw Sony were quick to have a press-release about shortages, but have they ever press-released them to be over? I recall ppl claiming and counter-claiming whether or not they were over in the past.

unomas

Banned
Went without a 360 until July when I bought a slim, it's just a much better value now than it was before with the included Wi-Fi, massive, hard drive, and the games library is top notch with Live Arcade starting to see some great games as well. It's finally starting to slow down for Nintendo after 4 years, but without the software coming in it's tough to keep sales going the way they once were. With Kinect I fully expect the 360 to come out on top for the holiday, Wii second, and PS3 third. I can't think of a single Wii game that I'll be buying before Christmas, most of my titles will be 360 with a few on the PS3. Little Big Planet 2 is the one I'm looking forward to the most.

Busaiku

Boney said:
What I'm saying it's that they're not entirely stranger to having great support on both systems. DS had a killer lineup on 2006 from Nintendo and launched Wii with no problem.

They just need 2 killer aps like Wii Sports/TP combo and and launch with other secondary games. Don't forget Monster Games and Next Level Games can fill that need nicely.
Well a DS game would cost substantially less/probably be easier to make than a 3DS game.
With 3DS development costs reaching the level of Wii, I'd think they'd have trouble supporting a Wii and a more powerful system than they did with DS/Wii or GBA/GCN.

Owzers

RurouniZel said:
Point still stands. :p I kid I kid.

He could import! Fight the software war on two fronts.

Though...i....didn't buy any new releases this month. I ordered a NEW copy of Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep PSP and might get Mass Effect's shadow broker dlc. I'm renting Halo Reach instead of buying out of protest towards XBL Gold. Yeah, you'll lose one sale MS, choke on it!

" Hey guys, we only sold 4mil copies of Halo Reach this month instead of 4,000,001! WE BETTER MAKE XBL GOLD FREE!"

" LOLOLOLOLLOL JK RIGHT?"

" RIGHT!" *high fives around the room*

i also rented Metroid Other M: Renting and used games, the industry, i'm slowly killing you.

Jin34

unomas said:
Went without a 360 until July when I bought a slim, it's just a much better value now than it was before with the included Wi-Fi, massive, hard drive, and the games library is top notch with Live Arcade starting to see some great games as well. It's finally starting to slow down for Nintendo after 4 years, but without the software coming in it's tough to keep sales going the way they once were. With Kinect I fully expect the 360 to come out on top for the holiday, Wii second, and PS3 third. I can't think of a single Wii game that I'll be buying before Christmas, most of my titles will be 360 with a few on the PS3. Little Big Planet 2 is the one I'm looking forward to the most.

Weird, me and my friends think its pretty barren on PS360 outside of Reach.

Gravijah said:
Didn't the GBA end up having a rather short life?

#1 What does that have to do with anything?

#2 That's because of SONY came out from left field with the PSP therefore Nintendo had to launch a competing fully 3D console.

#3 It only had a year less than the DS's life span.

#4 What does that have to do with anything?

thcsquad

Str0ngStyle said:

It's like Speed. If Kotick doesn't have a Call of Duty title selling at least 100,000 in any single month, his head will explode at the shareholders meeting.

sillymonkey321 said:
He could import! Fight the software war on two fronts.

Though...i....didn't buy any new releases this month. I ordered a NEW copy of Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep PSP and might get Mass Effect's shadow broker dlc. I'm renting Halo Reach instead of buying out of protest towards XBL Gold. Yeah, you'll lose one sale MS, choke on it!

" Hey guys, we only sold 4mil copies of Halo Reach this month instead of 4,000,001! WE BETTER MAKE XBL GOLD FREE!"

" LOLOLOLOLLOL JK RIGHT?"

" RIGHT!" *high fives around the room*

i also rented Metroid Other M: Renting and used games, the industry, i'm slowly killing you.
I bought six games last month. One NA PSN, two JP new, two NA new, and one NA used.

Oh god, it's the used one isn't it? I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL OF THIS.

Owzers

Segata Sanshiro said:
I bought six games last month. One NA PSN, two JP new, two NA new, and one NA used.

Oh god, it's the used one isn't it? I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL OF THIS.

As long as you pay $10 to enable online play from that used game, the industry lives.

Top Bottom