• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2010

""LEGO Harry Potter maintained a spot in the top 5 games of the month (for the third consecutive month). With the new movie coming out in November and the approaching holidays, this is the type of game that could continue to see strong sales at least through the end of the year."

Lego Harry Potter 5-7 confirmed!

Wizman23

Banned
:lol I can tell by some of these responses here that some of you console warriors are scared shitless of Reach. The downplaying of it in this thread is fucking hysterical

markatisu

Stumpokapow said:
NDS KIRBY SUPERSTAR ULTRA 1,1xx,xxx
GBA KIRBY: NIGHTMARE 9xx,xxx
GCN KIRBY AIR RIDE 8xx,xxx
NDS KIRBY SQUEAK SQUAD 6xx,xxx
GBA KIRBY AMAZING MIRROR 6xx,xxx
N64 KIRBY 64: CRYSTAL 5xx,xxx
NDS KIRBY: CANVAS CURSE 3xx,xxx

(all most recent leaks available, I am not a subscriber and the only leaks I get are publicly available on public websites)

That is what I thought, and I have already seen the new Wii Kirby featured in newspapers and morning shows. Being released for the Christmas shopping season will benefit it a great deal, especially if the crowd that buys Just Dance 2 and Wii Party takes it in.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wizman23 said:
:lol I can tell by some of these responses here that some of you console warriors are scared shitless of Reach. The downplaying of it in this thread is fucking hysterical

you can do better than this. you can either reply to posts you disagree with and disagree with them or not reply at all. anonymous callouts of "console warriors" is unbelievably shitposty.

re-quoting brettison in case he misses my bottom of the page post:
Brettison said:
Would be interested to see where some of the XBLA and PSN stuff would have fit in this month. We have games like Scott Pilgrim, Castlevania, Monday Night Combat, Lara Croft etc... and I wonder if they would have cracked the list.

gamerbytes.com, run by gaf's rlan <3 <3 <3, is by a country mile the best source on the internet for xbla/psn leaderboard information

here's the august sales info:
http://www.gamerbytes.com/2010/09/indepth_xbox_live_arcade_sales_14.php#more
(monday night combat would break the top 5, limbo would break the top 10)

leaderboards are higher than actual sales by between ~10% and ~50% depending on the nature of the game

psn info is usually a week or two delayed and not as elaborate.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wizman23 said:

I'm terrified. Like shaking, literally.

Wizman23

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
you can do better than this. you can either reply to posts you disagree with and disagree with them or not reply at all. anonymous callouts of "console warriors" is unbelievably shitposty.

re-quoting brettison in case he misses my bottom of the page post:

gamerbytes.com, run by gaf's rlan <3 <3 <3, is by a country mile the best source on the internet for xbla/psn leaderboard information

here's the august sales info:
http://www.gamerbytes.com/2010/09/indepth_xbox_live_arcade_sales_14.php#more
(monday night combat would break the top 5, limbo would break the top 10)

leaderboards are higher than actual sales by between ~10% and ~50% depending on the nature of the game

psn info is usually a week or two delayed and not as elaborate.
There are plenty of shitposty posts downplaying Reach sales on every page of this thread.

AniHawk

Stumpokapow said:
also

gba june 11, 2001
gcn nov 18, 2001

The GBA kicked off with... what? A Super Mario All-Stars SMB2USA port, F-Zero, and Mario Kart, right? And then the rest of the year was Advance Wars, Golden Sun, and Wario Land 4.

The 3DS is getting something from almost everyone.

... great numbers all around. The 360 seems to be showing itself to be the dominant console this year in the US.

However, I suspect its numbers to decrease in the following months given the bad news MS has unleashed this past month. 360 numbers should drop once more people are aware of the highway robbery MS pulled with the Live price increase, the seeming mess that is Kinect, and the dearth of any announced exclusives outside of their star Space Marine for the rest of the year.

360 looks like it's going to be on top until the inevitable Wii holiday domination.

Definitely looking like the PS3 is stuck in third position

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wizman23 said:
There are plenty of shitposty posts downplaying Reach sales on every page of this thread.

okay well i'll just say "back off xbot!!!" and now we're both posting at the same level and if you want to post again in the thread, you can start making an effort.

Owzers

Adam Blade said:
... great numbers all around. The 360 seems to be showing itself to be the dominant console this year in the US.

However, I suspect its numbers to decrease in the following months given the bad news MS has unleashed this past month. 360 numbers should drop once more people are aware of the highway robbery MS pulled with the Live price increase, the seeming mess that is Kinect, and the dearth of any announced exclusives outside of their star Space Marine for the rest of the year.

I don't think any of those things will matter :p

EagleEyes

Adam Blade said:

Sounds like somebody believes too much of what they hear from hardcore gaming forums. :lol

AniHawk

Gravijah said:
I remember... Rayman and uh... some army men game.

Well I meant from just Nintendo. If Nintendo's going to be releasing two systems next year, they better have the software ready, and I think they have their hands full for 3DS launch.

Gravijah

AniHawk said:
Well I meant from just Nintendo. If Nintendo's going to be releasing two systems next year, they better have the software ready, and I think they have their hands full for 3DS launch.

Grrr, caught me before I realized and edited.

PSGames

Adam Blade said:

You are in for a rude awakening. Kinect will do amazing this holiday.

thirty

Banned
markatisu said:
That is the bread and butter of the industry, its where Nintendo often makes up for lost sales throughout the year.

Wii Party and Just Dance 2 are going to do killer sales, regardless of what Kirby and Donkey Kong do (do not underestimate Kirby, he will get you if you do :lol )
Thing is nintendo won't have the luxury of being the only motion controller this holiday. It'll be Wii+just dance 2 vs kinect+dance central vs move. Hardware wise is a consumer going to want the old tech or the new tech? They have a very hard holiday ahead of them.

shintoki said:
The KB ads have been nothing but geek wankery. They have been running since last year, and while are a much better than past advertisements. Probably aren't going to sell move. While MS's casual advertisement has been nothing but a terrible copy of Nintendo's that doesn't even apply to their typical audience.

The hurdle both have to over come is... "Well I want to play Wii Sports. I can either get a Wii+Wii Sports for under 200.... or I can buy a rival's for 400"
People right now are buying the $300 360 and PS3 at a higher clip than the Wii. Is Christmas going to magically reverse this without a NSMB to do big units?

And the 360 has a $300 motion sku coming.

Ridley327

Sho_Nuff82 said:
People right now are buying the $300 360 and PS3 at a higher clip than the Wii. Is Christmas going to magically reverse this without a NSMB to do big units?

And the 360 has a $300 motion sku coming.
The Wii outsold them when their lineup was just Wii Music and Animal Crossing. You think that DKC:R and Wii Party is going to be a worse lineup than that?

markatisu

thirty said:
Thing is nintendo won't have the luxury of being the only motion controller this holiday. It'll be Wii+just dance 2 vs kinect+dance central vs move. Hardware wise is a consumer going to want the old tech or the new tech? They have a very hard holiday ahead of them.

Just dance and the Wii_ brands are established already. Move and Kinect are gambles, nobody knows for sure.

But if the economy gets any worse I would bet familiarity wins out on pocketbook purchases

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Regardless of NSMB, it happens every year. What makes this one so magically different? The Wii might not destroy the other two, but I think it will still best them handily when the sales figures come in.

Boney

Banned
Wizman23 said:
11ietr6.gif

Good numbers all around and congrats to MS for thunderous sales. I'm little disappointed in Sony numbers though. Quite unsure of what is causing the slump.

WillyFive

thirty said:

If they already have the old tech, they would buy the new game for it instead of spending more for a new tech + a console to run it on.

Boney

Banned
AniHawk said:
3DS launch from Nintendo is Kid Icarus, Paper Mario, Nintendogs, Steel Driver and Pilotwings. With Mario Kart, Zelda and Animal Crossing soon to follow.

From what I can see, it's not that much of an effort. Shouldn't really cut into their output significately.

Gravijah said:
if you use that gif again i am going to go mad world on you
Youz just jealous I didn't use it on you. It was perfect for that and you know it.

Beth Cyra

Boney said:
3DS launch from Nintendo is Kid Icarus, Paper Mario, Nintendogs, Steel Driver and Pilotwings. With Mario Kart, Zelda and Animal Crossing soon to follow.

From what I can see, it's not that much of an effort. Shouldn't really cut into their output significately.

Youz just jealous I didn't use it on you. It was perfect for that and you know it.

We also no about the Star Fox remake, could be more but who knows outside of Nintendo.

RustyNails said:
Good numbers all around and congrats to MS for thunderous sales. I'm little disappointed in Sony numbers though. Quite unsure of what is causing the slump.

My theory is $99 Blu-Ray players. There were some deals flying around last xmas but cheap players are everywhere now.

I'm NOT saying that BD playback is the driving force behind the PS3 but the whole "it's an amazing deal because it also plays BD" days are over.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
thirty said:

Some people never learn.

thcsquad

Whipped Spartan said:
Is it safe to say the 360 slim had more of an impact than the PS3 Slim now?

PS3's 2010 January to August is 40% higher than 2009. 360 slim's impact might be comparable, but you have to realize that since the PS3 was starting from a lower level, the percentage increase is very high.

Branduil

I really think Nintendo should release the Wii 2 next year if they can. They stand to gain the most from releasing early and the 3rd party releases are really drying up.

Boney

Banned
TruePrime said:
We also no about the Star Fox remake, could be more but who knows outside of Nintendo.
Oh forgot to type it, was sure I did. But in the end, it's not an incredibly large amount really. I'm sure there's even more unnanounced software that's been worked on, but in the end, it should play exactly like Wii and DS. They could support both fine.

derder

PhoenixDark said:
360 looks like it's going to be on top until the inevitable Wii holiday domination.

Definitely looking like the PS3 is stuck in third position
I don't think that's really going to happen this year.

I expect it to sell more than 360/ps3 individually, but i don't see it doing nearly as well as seasons past (without a significant price cut).

This holiday's casuals will be assaulted with move/kinect.

Plus the wii has saturated the market

AniHawk

Boney said:

Here's what we know is in development from Nintendo for the 3DS:

EAD 1 (Mario Kart, Nintendogs): Mario Kart 3DS, Nintendogs + Cats
EAD 2 (Animal Crossing, Wii Sports): Animal Crossing 3DS, Pilotwings Resort
EAD 3 (Zelda series): Ocarina of Time 3DS
Comprehensive Software Development (Pac-Man vs., SM64 DS): Star Fox 64 3DS, Steel Diver
Intelligent Systems: Paper Mario
Project Sora: Kid Icarus

EAD 3 is also working on Skyward Sword. EAD 4 is doing Pikmin 3. EAD 5 is/was probably doing Wii Relax.

Retro's finishing up Donkey Kong Country Returns. They won't be able to do anything in less than a year for a system launch or launch window. Monolith is kinda in the same boat, but has more of a shot.

The only ones that we know aren't busy with known projects are EAD Tokyo, Nd Cube, Genius Sonority, maybe parts of Intelligent Systems, and SPD1.

SPD 2, Brownie Brown, and NST might be available, but those are all handheld teams these days. Point is, the big guys, EAD 1 and 2 specifically, are too busy right now finishing their 3DS games to also be getting ready for a new console.

3rdman

Adam Blade said:

Man, so much passive aggressiveness...

You will be wrong on all counts, I think. Games sell a system and Halo sells (a lot) of consoles...If you want to play it, there is only one place to go and as the old saying goes "if you build it, they will come". The increase in Live is a bit depressing but you seem to think that MS made an arbitrary decision to increase it without thinking things through. I'm willing to bet that the number of subscribers will actually remain steady and with the change being made near a Halo release, you probably won't see an immediate difference in subscribers anyways.

Lastly, Kinect will be a success whether or not it sells well, I think. While Sony and Nintendo went the route of dildo simulators, MS is bringing to market a completely different device that for all its shortcomings, shows a lot of promise. It's real worth will be made in the next generation of consoles...theirs will be the console with full-body tracking and facial recognition. Thats when it pays off and like Halo, there will only be one place to get it.

Owzers

Branduil said:
I really think Nintendo should release the Wii 2 next year if they can. They stand to gain the most from releasing early and the 3rd party releases are really drying up.

I can see Wii 2 being treated like the Gamecube by developers. They "could" put a wii 2 version out of a ps3/360/pc game but they won't really care to.

wizword

Banned
Live price increase will do nothing in terms of HW sales this holiday. Wii holiday HW is still going to be #1, I don't understand why people believe otherwise. It isn't going to be close to be quite honest. And halo reach should sell around 3.6 mllion, I don't know why people are expecting in the 5 millions or higher than MW2 to be quite honest. And wizman, your name is awesome that comment was not.

wizword

Banned
sillymonkey321 said:
I can see Wii 2 being treated like the Gamecube by developers. They "could" put a wii 2 version out of a ps3/360/pc game but they won't really care to.
Wii needs a rehaul but that is more because of online capacity. Wii is quite pathetic in that retrospect which I believe is going to be the most important aspect at least in next generation.

Gravijah

3rdman said:

You will be wrong on all counts, I think. Games sell a system and Halo sells (a lot) of consoles...If you want to play it, there is only one place to go and as the old saying goes "if you build it, they will come". The increase in Live is a bit depressing but you seem to think that MS made an arbitrary decision to increase it without thinking things through. I'm willing to bet that the number of subscribers will actually remain steady and with the change being made near a Halo release, you probably won't see an immediate difference in subscribers anyways.

Lastly, Kinect will be a success whether or not it sells well, I think. While Sony and Nintendo went the route of dildo simulators, MS is bringing to market a completely different device that for all its shortcomings, shows a lot of promise. It's real worth will be made in the next generation of consoles...theirs will be the console with full-body tracking and facial recognition. Thats when it pays off and like Halo, there will only be one place to get it.

If XBOX 720 doesn't have a normal controller, I will probably not be buying it until it's cheap as fuck.

Beth Cyra

3rdman said:

Except to those that speak Spanish, and not Mexican, or want to sit down or maybe use the functions outside of special menu.

Haven't been keeping up, have they fixed these things yet?

3rdman

sillymonkey321 said:
I don't think he figured out that you don't HAVE to shove your controllers up anywhere just because they are shaped like a tv remote.
I was just trying to be funny...but they do look like TV remotes. :p

Boney

Banned
What I'm saying it's that they're not entirely stranger to having great support on both systems. DS had a killer lineup on 2006 from Nintendo and launched Wii with no problem.

They just need 2 killer aps like Wii Sports/TP combo and and launch with other secondary games. Don't forget Monster Games and Next Level Games can fill that need nicely.

Top Bottom