• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2010

jvm said:
NPD is not going quarterly...at least according to that note.

It means, as I read it, that they'll report full market (i.e. retail + everything else) quarterly.

I could be wrong, however.

That's how I read it, too.

Just sounds like they're announcing that they'll be releasing more data in quarterly installments soon.

Which would be a nice change of pace from the "we're going to keep cutting back on the info we release" methods they've been taking up recently.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Vic said:
There is little to gain for Sony by dropping the price of the PSP. I don't think they're trying to gain any marketshare with the platform anymore, so there's absolutely no need for any action toward aggressive pricing.

They're not just giving up it. They're paying for Marcus afterall.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kagari said:
I think BBS will surprise people.

It's certainly the largest retail order for a PSP game since Dissidia, eclipsing Peacewalker. No idea if it's moving briskly or not. The real risk is that there's relatively little shelf space for PSP games now. When I got my copy, it was in a back room in stock rather than in the front :/

sciplore

Gravijah said:
I guess if all you care about is the threads, yeah. It probably means much less ACTUAL FUCKING NUMBERS.

Indeed I thought he they meant they would just watch downloadable games quarterly. :/

timetokill said:
That's how I read it, too.

Just sounds like they're announcing that they'll be releasing more data in quarterly installments soon.

Which would be a nice change of pace from the "we're going to keep cutting back on the info we release" methods they've been taking up recently.

I thought of that as well but they have been giving less public data recently.

We'll see though.

ZealousD

Kagari said:

Dissidia did pretty well, didn't it? I don't see why we can't have a repeat (if not better) performance for BBS.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I'm interested to see how Epic Mickey will do...in both sales and reviews.

If it's rated Teen it's not grabbing any of the "casual" market even with the Disney name attached.

Crisis Core and God of War PSP both charted in the top 10 in the same month, so anything is possible.

Looks like 360 will finish on top in September due to Reach.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Kagari said:
Anecdote time. I asked dude at local chain how many they had in preorders. Answer was "looks like 10-12". People should ask their own local shops and see, just to see if the figure I got was representative.

Reilly

jvm said:
Also, adding in another post because I don't want it to get missed. This was at the bottom of NPD's spreadsheet. It's new language, I believe.
My emphasis.

They're still doing monthly reports. That is referring to social games and digital sales.

edit: beaten

Fredescu

timetokill said:
I assume that data will only be going to subscribers.

Ridley327

jvm said:
Anecdote time. I asked dude at local chain how many they had in preorders. Answer was "looks like 10-12". People should ask their own local shops and see, just to see if the figure I got was representative.
We've sold one copy of the game at our Best Buy store.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Best part about that BBS prediction is that it will surprise people either way!

Looking at the other games on sale this month I'd be surprised if it didn't chart. I also think it is the absolute last PSP game that will. Maybe the next GoW game. Maybe Agito, if it ever comes out.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Isn't Birth by Sleep retail only?
That could give it a nice little NPD boost compared to recent PSP games since the digital stuff isn't counted.

Lunchbox

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
Might as well re-use.

Mama gem.

npdcomvic1.gif

kk36f.gif

I don't how people can still claim the Wii couldn't see a successor in 2011. If the NDS slowdown is enough to justify a successor in 2010 then the Wii slowdown is enough to justify a successor in 2011. Each set of sales figures that come out just make it more likely.

farnham

Banned
Lone_Prodigy said:
If it's rated Teen it's not grabbing any of the "casual" market even with the Disney name attached.

Crisis Core and God of War PSP both charted in the top 10 in the same month, so anything is possible.

Looks like 360 will finish on top in September due to Reach.
and they will probably grab October as well, as Black Ops is comming out.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ZealousD said:
Dissidia did pretty well, didn't it? I don't see why we can't have a repeat (if not better) performance for BBS.

Yeah it did pretty well for what it was.

jvm said:

The store I picked mine up from had sold out of their 20 allocated copies on day 1, with a restock the next day.

Ridley327

Snuggler said:
Isn't Birth by Sleep retail only?
That could give it a nice little NPD boost compared to recent PSP games since the digital stuff isn't counted.
If you think that digital sales had any significant impact on Peace Walker's abysmal performance...

hvti69.gif

ZealousD

Man God said:
Looking at the other games on sale this month I'd be surprised if it didn't chart. I also think it is the absolute last PSP game that will. Maybe the next GoW game. Maybe Agito, if it ever comes out.

I think Ghost of Sparta will probably outsell BBS, but it is coming out in a much more crowded month (November).

Mrbob

jvm said:
NPD is not going quarterly...at least according to that note.

It means, as I read it, that they'll report full market (i.e. retail + everything else) quarterly.

I could be wrong, however.

Yeah this is how I interpreted their comment as well.

wizword

Banned
KuwabaraTheMan said:
They should be fine for now. They always do well in the holiday season, and DKCR should give them an additional boost. And they have Zelda early next year. We don't know what they have beyond that, but in fairness we didn't know about DK or Kirby 3 months ago.
DKC isn't going to give them a boost. The main reason why it is going to sell is because it is going to be the hot holiday item. Like it has been since launch. I doubt there will be much difference in terms of holiday sales as last year.

farnham

Banned
brain_stew said:
I don't how people can still claim the Wii couldn't see a successor in 2011. If the NDS slowdown is enough to justify a successor in 2010 then the Wii slowdown is enough to justify a successor in 2011. Each set of sales figures that come out just make it more likely.
how are they going to support 2 launches at the same time ? either one (aka wiiHD) will have a poor launch and will fail since nintendo platforms dont get any third party support if they are not successful (and even if they are successful they sometimes dont)

ZealousD

Kagari said:
Yeah it did pretty well for what it was.

No, I mean better sales then "for what it was". I thought it had basically eclipsed all predictions and become one of the best selling PSP games in NA? Maybe not as big as God of War or the GTA stories but better than 95-99% of all the other games on the system.

shinnn said:
Mafia II = 5 days sales?
Yeah, 5 days. Pretty weak sales for a decent game.

Is it just me, or is the software market becoming ever more narrow? Madden, Mario, and Call of Duty make up 6 of the top 10.

Excluding the cash-cow Blizzard, Activision hasn't had a significant hit since CoD:MW2 was released and and it looks like their next hit will be the next CoD installment (Black Ops).

Not much diversity out there . . . kinda sad. :-(

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ZealousD said:
No, I mean better sales then "for what it was". I thought it had basically eclipsed all predictions and become one of the best selling PSP games in NA? Maybe not as big as God of War or the GTA stories but better than 95-99% of all the other games on the system.

Hmm, I don't know about that. Don't think it passed 500K. Crisis Core would fall under what you mean though.

ZealousD said:
I doubt we'll get the digital numbers as public knowledge. Microsoft and Sony have complete control over that information. I think a single "video game business quarterly revenue" number is all we'll get. Makes for a nice headline but not really the kind of thing that NPD can really make money on.

Nobody is going to buy a 360 just for Reach. Anybody who's buying the system for Halo already got it for Halo 3.

I think you are completely wrong, so many places are saying that they are sold out of the Reach console. The 360 has kicked ass the last 2 months with nothing big coming out, Reach will definitely push sales next month.

farnham

Banned
speculawyer said:
Yeah, 5 days. Pretty weak sales for a decent game.

Is it just me, or is the software market becoming ever more narrow? Madden, Mario, and Call of Duty make up 6 of the top 10.

Excluding the cash-cow Blizzard, Activision hasn't had a significant hit since CoD:MW2 was released and and it looks like their next hit will be the next CoD installment (Black Ops).

Not much diversity out there . . . kinda sad. :-(
starcraft 2 ?

scently

farnham said:
and they will probably grab October as well, as Black Ops is comming out.

They might grab Oct but not for Black Ops, as that is coming in Nov. But Fable 3 is coming in Oct so....

Kenka

I am excited to see what direction the industry will take in the fortcoming months, especially Nintendo who recently has been tickled by everybody around.

[jacksonpopcorn.gif]

FrankT

yankeehater said:
I think you are completely wrong, so many places are saying that they are sold out of the Reach console. The 360 has kicked ass the last 2 months with nothing big coming out, Reach will definitely push sales next month.

It will be well past the 352k it did last year. Bumping my baseline to at least 450k. 400k for the 5 week and 50k on Reach alone. Likely to be above that. Actually just adding another week takes it to 441k so possibly 500k.

Where is our LTD guru?

farnham said:
starcraft 2 ?
He said excluding Blizzard.

But I believe the software offer should broaden up a bit in the closing months of the year. This was just a dull month. Maybe I'm being too optimist.

I still think we'll see an announcement of a Wii successor in 2011, but maybe not a release.

The only thing that could possibly convince them otherwise is a totally boffo Christmas for both the DS and the Wii (and maybe the 3DS if it launches this year). That would put the brakes on a new system pretty hard.

sciplore

Man God said:
Best part about that BBS prediction is that it will surprise people either way!

I do not see Agito charting at all to be honest.

seady

Most shocking is how close the 360 Madden is to PS3 Madden. I hope it is caused by the charges made from Xbox Live. A lot of casuals don't want to pay to play online, and Microsoft deserves to get a hit from that.

CaptainABAB

RPG_Fanatic said:
I think it would make more sense to replace PS3 with NDS, for this month at least.

Nahhh...leave alone - it's funnier b/c WII and PS3 sales were so close and they are opposites/competitors (whereas NDS is a little brother to the WII)

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Kenka said:
I am excited to see what direction the industry will take in the fortcoming months, especially Nintendo who recently has been tickled by everybody around.

[jacksonpopcorn.gif]
We already know: Kinect & Move.

Top Bottom