• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2010

Owzers

Kenka said:
I am excited to see what direction the industry will take in the fortcoming months, especially Nintendo who recently has been tickled by everybody around.

[jacksonpopcorn.gif]

I thought sales of consoles were supposed to influence companies but then you have Sony watching the psp wither and die and they don't even flinch.

wizword

Banned
seady said:
Most shocking is how close the 360 Madden is to PS3 Madden. I hope it is caused by the charges made from Xbox Live. A lot of casuals don't want to pay to play online, and Microsoft deserves to get a hit from that.
Not really since there was an ad campaign for the game that essentially said that you should play it on ps3.

Kenka

Vic said:
We already know: Kinect & Move.

I really do wonder why we don't get more information about those two (three if you count 3DS) products. Normally, any system would be hyped to death prior to launched.

it just feels like Microsoft and Sony want to retain the early impressions we had when they unveiled Kinect and Move, which extremely positive, bypassing all the flaws that emerged since then.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I think a good chunk of those sales are from previous 360 owners that sold their system to get the Slim.
some people on neoGAF for the last 2 NPD BEEN SAYING THAT. By this thinking when Sony introduce the ps3 Slim i could have said I think a good chunk of those sales are from previous ps3 owners that sold their system to get the Slim. but the truth is we don't know

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Nintendo is finally seeing a real pinch in the states. They won't be gone but their run is definitely coming to an end. Feels right to see the 360 on top considering what it offers in comparison to the Wii.

Dabanton

seady said:
Most shocking is how close the 360 Madden is to PS3 Madden. I hope it is caused by the charges made from Xbox Live. A lot of casuals don't want to pay to play online, and Microsoft deserves to get a hit from that.

No it's caused by advertising the game like it's a PS3 exclusive.

seady said:

I think it had to do more with the exclusive marketing Sony paid for.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Kusagari said:
By the time Agito comes out, the PSP will literally be dead in America.

To be fair, the PSP is on its deathbed right now.

By the time Agito comes out, the PSP would be dead for at least a year :lol

OldJadedGamer said:
I think it had to do more with the exclusive marketing Sony paid for.

MS did that in previous years but never took advantage of the opportunity as well as Sony did. They were fucking humiliated this year. MS puts a 360 box in Times Square; Sony puts a PS3, a PS3 controller and/or stacks of the PS3 version in every second of the entire campaign.

MS got fucking schooled.

:lol

Mrbob

There have been some 360 Madden ads as well. Sony promoting Madden more helps, but this is mostly due to the rise in the PS3 user base. PS2 Madden sales were always much bigger than on Xbox. Some PS2 gamers are finally transitioning over it looks like by the numbers increase.

Kasumi1970 said:
some people on neoGAF for the last 2 NPD BEEN SAYING THAT. By this thinking when Sony introduce the ps3 Slim i could have said I think a good chunk of those sales are from previous ps3 owners that sold their system to get the Slim. but the truth is we don't know

The other thing is that the old system typically gets traded in and sold as refurb (does not appear on NPD) or given to a sibling, etc., so the install base STILL GROWS when people trade up to new systems. Not 1:1, but it still grows.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
LiquidMetal14 said:
Nintendo is finally seeing a real pinch in the states. They won't be gone but their run is definitely coming to an end. Feels right to see the 360 on top considering what it offers in comparison to the Wii.
I wouldn't make claims like this until after the new year starts.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
yankeehater said:
I think you are completely wrong, so many places are saying that they are sold out of the Reach console. The 360 has kicked ass the last 2 months with nothing big coming out, Reach will definitely push sales next month.

The Reach console being sold out means next to nothing if the shipment numbers are really low. That also means nothing if those sales are happening at the expense of the normal console.

Will it get a Reach "bump"? Sure. Is it going to be the kind of monster boost that the system got during Halo 3? Not even close.

Jive Turkey said:
I wouldn't make claims like this until after the new year starts.
It's not approaching the end of its run, it's ended. 2 straight months off the lead. Assuming "its run" refers to being in first place in the monthly console sales in north america...

ZealousD said:
The Reach console being sold out means next to nothing if the shipment numbers are really low. That also means nothing if those sales are happening at the expense of the normal console.

Will it get a Reach "bump"? Sure. Is it going to be the kind of monster boost that the system got during Halo 3? Not even close.
What do you think the monster boost was, and how much less will the reach bump be if it's so preposterous?

ZealousD

LiquidMetal14 said:

This kind of talk sounds awfully familiar.

BenjaminBirdie said:
MS did that in previous years but never took advantage of the opportunity as well as Sony did. They were fucking humiliated this year. MS puts a 360 box in Times Square; Sony puts a PS3, a PS3 controller and/or stacks of the PS3 version in every second of the entire campaign.

MS got fucking schooled.

Well, MS paid nothing for the advertising of the game and still made more money in royalties off EA over what Sony made from EA and Sony paid for marketing it... how did MS get schooled?

OldJadedGamer said:
Well, MS paid nothing for the advertising of the game and still made more money in royalties off EA over what Sony made from EA and Sony paid for marketing it... how did MS get schooled?

They "fumbled the ball" to use an appropriate metaphor. There was never any kind of evidence of a sales boost for a 360 version that couldn't be attributed to userbase like there was for PS3 this year.

ZealousD

elrechazao said:
What do you think the monster boost was, and how much less will the reach bump be if it's so preposterous?

I'm simply saying that anybody that would have bought a console just for Reach would have already bought the console for Halo 3. I don't think there's going to be too many people that would have passed on Halo 3 but would go bananas for Reach. In fact, I have doubts that Reach will outsell Halo 3.

FrankT

ZealousD said:

It could very well be close 500k for the month. Just a weekly 4 to 5 on the August average would take it to 441k and that is without Reach. Perhaps not the 527k for H3, but it will be up there. H3 also didn't have a new HW line behind it either.

OldJadedGamer said:

Yeah, MS made about 7-10 million dollars off this for doing sweet FA. Sony probably made about the same but paid for the luxury.

shwimpy

OldJadedGamer said:

MS paid nothing? You really believe that? I'm pretty sure I saw 360 exclusive Madden commercials from Walmart.

ZealousD said:
I'm simply saying that anybody that would have bought a console just for Reach would have already bought the console for Halo 3. I don't think there's going to be too many people that would have passed on Halo 3 but would go bananas for Reach. In fact, I have doubts that Reach will outsell Halo 3.
That's fine, but you're the one making the definitive claim it won't happen, just curious if you're willing to throw out what you think will in fact happen if you're so sure?

I have no idea myself, seems reach isn't being blitzed as much as I remember halo3 being, but I still think it'll be a comparable bump (percentage rise over the period) to what we saw with halo3.
BenjaminBirdie said:

MS got fucking schooled.

Selling more than the competition is "getting fucking schooled?"

Man, after all these years, I still have a hard time people are so willing to pay 60 bucks for the newest Madden "Roster Update of the Year". Other than the roster updates, is there anything in this years Madden that genuinely deserves a purchase from those that have last years roster update?

ZealousD said:

I'm buying 3 copies, so if that's any kind of indication of what the Halotards will be doing, then you'd think that on double the userbase it should outsell 3.3 million in it's first month pretty comfortably.

OldJadedGamer said:

Wait, I just realized you said they paid nothing. They clearly paid for co-branding on several installments.

LiquidMetal14

ZealousD said:
This kind of talk sounds awfully familiar.
I agree. I'm jumping the gun. But for the holiday bump that's coming, that won't translate to makin the system better than the 360 or PS3. If anything, Nintendo is fortunate to have that holiday influx of families buying these things for their children.

But this year I believe things will change. With Move and Kinect, you can bet that Nintendo will lose a little market share. Nintendo has the casual market down but that seems to be turning on them and now more consumers realize the value propositions with PS3 and 360. It's too bad really. Nintendo is the top dog but it sure don't feel like it.

BenjaminBirdie said:
They "fumbled the ball" to use an appropriate metaphor. There was never any kind of evidence of a sales boost for a 360 version that couldn't be attributed to userbase like there was for PS3 this year.

I think MS had a different goal and that was to make the 360 version of Madden the definitive version which it has been for years starting with the 30/60 framerate thing. MS never had to gain ground with the game series as they had it from the start. They were just keeping what they already had. Aren't all official Madden tournaments still held on the 360?

BenjaminBirdie said:
Wait, I just realized you said they paid nothing. They clearly paid for co-branding on several installments.

I'm talking this year.

Mrbob

OldJadedGamer said:

PS3 version increased 228K year over year. 360 version was down slightly. MS has already spent more years advertising Madden than Sony so what is your point? I think user base increase has a lot to do with it but the PS3 version almost got 360 while having a much smaller overall base so some marketing must have got the job done. Taking MS out of the equation, this was money well spent for Sony.

Aren't all official Madden tournaments still held on the 360?

Nope. Moved to PS3.

OldJadedGamer said:
I think MS had a different goal and that was to make the 360 version of Madden the definitive version which it has been for years starting with the 30/60 framerate thing. MS never had to gain ground with the game series as they had it from the start. They were just keeping what they already had. Aren't all official Madden tournaments still held on the 360?

The fact that you didn't even realize MS had paid for co-branding in previous years shows just how successful Sony's work was this year.

farnham

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
I agree. I'm jumping the fun. But for the holiday bump that's coming, that won't translate to makin the system better than the 360 or PS3. If anything, Nintendo is fortunate to have that holiday influx of families buying these things for their children.

But this year I believe things will change. With Move and Kinect, you can bet that Nintendo will lose a little market share. Nintendo has the casual market down but that seems to be turning on them and now more consumers realize the value propositions with PS3 and 360. It's too bad really. Nintendo is the top dog but it sure don't feel like it.
Maybe they will loose a good chunk of the casual market but they have the kids market locked down and that one is more significant for the christmas sales.

Also I wouldnt call Kinect and Move surefirehits.

ZealousD said:
Nobody is going to buy a 360 just for Reach. Anybody who's buying the system for Halo already got it for Halo 3.

Do people still say this shit?

Most people bought an Xbox 1 at $199 or less. Lots of the Halo players I know bought their system when Halo 2 shipped; at this point the Xbox 1 was $149. With a hard drive.

When Halo 3 shipped, a 360 was $299/$399.

Not everybody runs out and buys a system the first couple of years of a generation, especially when the generation is so damned expensive. Even if they want to play Halo.

Some people will definitely buy a 360 for Reach, which is a far cry from the 'Nobody' that you tout. Some of them will be new to the Halo franchise. Some have just been budget minded. I'd suspect sales of Halo 3 and ODST will spike up next month but tons of those will be used copies.

I never post in NPD threads, but yeah...I dunno what to make of the Wii. Nintendo needs something to make things pick up again. Wii Party is probably not going to do it, and neither Galaxy 2 or Metroid Other M did much of anything to pick things up either.

More colors? A real price drop? Getting that new Zelda out for the holiday? I have no idea what could really move things for them...

FrankT

BenjaminBirdie said:
The fact that you didn't even realize MS had paid for co-branding in previous years shows just how successful Sony's work was this year.

How much was at the cost of previous years PS2 sales those count as well. With that said the jump yoy is impressive. MS shouldn't be too concerned about Madden, but it should be watching it's split with pretty much everything. With RDR holding in and around GTA it's done well for the most part, and clearly COD is still by far king.

SapientWolf said:
Each other. 2 gamers 1 slim.

Good stuff. It explains that crazy attach rate.

LiquidMetal14

farnham said:
Maybe they will loose a good chunk of the casual market but they have the kids market locked down and that one is more significant for the christmas sales.

Also I wouldnt call Kinect and Move surefirehits.
You're absolutely right. They will make little impact, not stating otherwise.

I do think that the proposition of the 360 and PS3 will be much more valued than before. Now you can have a Wii but with HD graphics and a ton of hardcore games and a robust online with the PS3. You can have a neat new motion device in Kinect and get to play the hardcore games and enjoy LIVE with 360. I would say this year is different than the last but I'm not convinced it will make a sizable impact. Unless MSFT and Sony advertise the hell out of their new casual components.

farnham

Banned
captmcblack said:
I never post in NPD threads, but yeah...I dunno what to make of the Wii. Nintendo needs something to make things pick up again. Wii Party is probably not going to do it, and neither Galaxy 2 or Metroid Other M did much of anything to pick things up either.

More colors? A real price drop? Getting that new Zelda out for the holiday? I have no idea what could really move things for them...
Right now they at least should do this
- 150 Dollar SKU (either price drop or at least WiiSports only Bundle)
- Get Wii Party out ASAP

If they are smart they should release Wii Relax on top of that.
LiquidMetal14 said:
You're absolutely right. They will make little impact, not stating otherwise.

I do think that the proposition of the 360 and PS3 will be much more valued than before. Now you can have a Wii but with HD graphics and a ton of hardcore games and a robust online with the PS3. You can have a neat new motion device in Kinect and get to play the hardcore games and enjoy LIVE with 360. I would say this year is different than the last but I'm not convinced it will make a sizable impact. Unless MSFT and Sony advertise the hell out of their new casual components.
I dont want to summon in the Move Defense Force. But there are little to no precedents that peripherals did well over the launch of the initial game. Wii Balance Board is the only peripheral that i can think of.

ZealousD

elrechazao said:
That's fine, but you're the one making the definitive claim it won't happen, just curious if you're willing to throw out what you think will in fact happen if you're so sure?

I have no idea myself, seems reach isn't being blitzed as much as I remember halo3 being, but I still think it'll be a comparable bump (percentage rise over the period) to what we saw with halo3.

It'll be a bump. Just not a Halo 3 bump. That's all I'm saying. I'm terrible at predicting concrete numbers, so I won't, but I usually do pretty well when talking about sales relative to other games or events.

Warm Machine said:
DR2 is going to surprise you. It'll rule October as it'll only have a few days of September.

Vanquish is the one going to be ruling October!

I wish. =(

Mrbob said:
PS3 version increased 228K year over year. 360 version was down slightly. MS has already spent more years advertising Madden than Sony so what is your point? I think user base increase has a lot to do with it but the PS3 version almost got 360 while having a much smaller overall base so some marketing must have got the job done. Taking MS out of the equation, this was money well spent for Sony.

Again, MS already had Madden as the main version from the very first game (again, let's not forget 30fps). By co-branding previous Maddens they were just holding on to that. Sony was the one that needed to catch up which is why the did it this year and paid for the marketing. I'm just saying that it didn't affect MS because #1 they didn't have to plug more money into exclusively co-marketing the game and #2 still made more in royalties off the title than their competition that also paid for marketing.

Before when MS paid for co-marketing... they were still making more in royalties than their competitor. The only thing that changed this year is that they spent less on marketing.

Top Bottom