• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2015 [PS4 #1 HW/SW, 7M Amiibos LTD, 600K LTD Splatoon]

Mory Dunz

I wonder what Mario Party is up to by now? Out of curiosity.

Might be close to 1 million WW. Or not.

EDIT
Rare Replay did worse than I thought it would.

We have to consider that consoles are more expensive now. Look at 360 and PS3 price history.

That is true but the market also expects a price cut after a certain amount of time IMO.
Look at every single console that is not Wii .
Mind you i don't expect $299 going to mean Wii or PS2 numbers .

kyser73

Almost 2 million ahead.

For have an idea, PS4 sold 209k this month, in august of 2002 PS2 sold 452k.

Using an inflation calculator, that places the cost today of a PS2 at this point in its life at $264 in 2015 money, and that price drop to $199 represented a fall of 1/3 of its launch price, 19 months in.

Even back in the early 00s $199 wasn't a premium price, especially for a cheap DVD player .

Carl

rSxQ1XU.jpg

So the gap this year is roughly what it was at the samr point last year?

PS4 STILL won?!

Pack it in folks. The cheaper console with better deals/marketing couldn't win.
PS4 had ton of great deals on August. MS has that tv deal which was quite limited according to retail insider.

Great to see games like Until Dawn and Rare Replay selling quite well.

Kathian

Banned
I think RR did quite well for what it is. End of the day its main draws are re-releases of 360 emulations.

Total software sales down 10% YOY.

Offset by digital sales most likely.

Yes the invention of digital software just in the past year has been quite spectacular!

GobFather

I think RR did quite well for what it is. End of the day its main draws are re-releases of 360 emulations.

Yes the invention of digital software just in the past year has been quite spectacular!
its so much easier than swapping disks lol... my only issues are space. upgrading to 2TB soon though.

How are they more expensive, didn't Sony break even in March of 2014? They have just been eating money on hardware instead of being really aggressive.

One HUGE thing people aren't taking into consideration when they try to compare console sales for the current generation to the last is that the PS3 and 360 were heavily subsidized at release while the PS4 and XB1 weren't. If the current gen consoles were subsidized like last gen, the XB1 would have launched at $343 and the PS4 at $279.

Those subsidized prices would have significantly increased the sales for both current gen consoles leaving last gen sales in the dust. So just remember that current gen console sales are, and have been, operating with a handicap that no other previous console outside of Nintendo's has had to deal with.

Code:
                               Price if
              Launch  Percent  Subsidized
Console	 BOM  Price   of BOM   @75% BOM
=======  ===  ======  =======  ==========
360	 525   399      76%	
PS3	 800   599      75%	
XB1	 457   499     109%       343
PS4	 372   399     107%       279

Edit: Oh I forgot. As a rough estimate, if the PS4 was discounted to the same amount (~91%) as the XB1 without Kinect($349) is relative to it's original BOM (-Kinect of course), the PS4 would be ~$340 right now.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Rare Replay did worse than I thought it would.

That's just the physical copies though right? I would say that game has done really well digitally. I mostly buy physical games but I never even considered it for this game.

Until Dawn entering in at #7 despite the fact that it came out during the tail end of the month is really rather good. 'Grats.

The sales for just about everything were low for August. So coming in at #7 was not such a big accomplishment. The actual sales were less than 90k. There is a reason why Sony didn't advertise the game. They knew it wasn't going to sell enough to be worth the cost of the advertising.

Ehh at 90k it ain't the greatest but I hope with digital and overall WW sales it'll have good legs over time for Super Massive. Tracking period was a little short too.

I doubt it will have good legs since the competition gets a lot tougher from here on out. On top of that I doubt you'll see talk or advertising for the game either for the same reason. Unless the game gets a massive price cut or bundle, I find it hard to believe that there will be a significant number of people have not already bought the game who will now decide to pick it. up. I expect sales to fall off a cliff.

Did the wiiu do 24k based on the pie chart?

About 43k. Pure bomba status.

I'm picking one up for my birthday this month though, so will contribute a sale :)

Until Dawn entering in at #7 despite the fact that it came out during the tail end of the month is really rather good. 'Grats.

Ehh at 90k it ain't the greatest but I hope with digital and overall WW sales it'll have good legs over time for Super Massive. Tracking period was a little short too.

Vroadstar

Gold Member
The sales for just about everything were low for August. So coming in at #7 was not such a big accomplishment. The actual sales were less than 90k. There is a reason why Sony didn't advertise the game. They knew it wasn't going to sell enough to be worth the cost of the advertising.

I think you are simply looking at it at glass half empty for some reason. For a new niche IP with barely any marketing backing it up, came out at tail end of the month but still manage to be at #7 is an accomplishment itself (hence why gaffers are surprised).

Can you name how many games released in the past with the same predicament actually sold more than UD. It's best if we can compare UD performance against a control so the discussions will be more objective instead of being tainted with skewed opinions.

driver116

It was out for like 5 days, rare replay was out all month, lego jurrassic world is on multiple consoles. its still a good result.

Wasn't there stock shortages?

That awkward moment when the PS3 was selling better in 2008 (YTD) than the PS4 has been in 2015 (YTD)

(To be fair they're pretty much the same. Just like XB1/360 for 2015/2007)

The difference being -$200 for every PS3 and +$100 for every PS4?

I think you are simply looking at it at glass half empty for some reason. For a new niche IP with barely any marketing backing it up, came out at tail end of the month but still manage to be at #7 is an accomplishment itself (hence why gaffers are surprised).

Can you name how many games released in the past with the same predicament actually sold more than UD. It's best if we can compare UD performance against a control so the discussions will be more objective instead of being tainted with skewed opinions.

We are not grading on a curve here. Do you or don't you think 90k are good sales for the first month of a game? My whole point is that it is a niche genre and can never expect to have decent sales. It is no defense of a game's sales to say that you expected them to be poor all along.

Edit: Oh, and this game will NOT have legs.

NEO0MJ

We are not grading on a curve here. Do you or don't you think 90k are good sales for the first month of a game? My whole point is that it is a niche genre and can never expect to have decent sales. It is no defense of a game's sales to say that you expected them to be poor all along.

It dpeends on the game still. Developers of games that belong in niche genres already know beforehand that it won't set the charts on fire. What matters is how much the game cost to make.

It dpeends on the game still. Developers of games that belong in niche genres already know beforehand that it won't set the charts on fire. What matters is how much the game cost to make.

And this is where the fact that it was originally announced as a PS3 game in 2012 hurts it. It's been in development for a while.

So are you saying that you think that Until Dawn was a cheap game to make and that Sony is making greater than average profit on each game sold? FYI this game started out being announced as a PS3 game at Gamescom 2012. Then it had to be pretty much rebuilt for the PS4 so I don't see how you can say it was a cheap game to make.

Edit: Beaten by hodayathink while I had to look up the info on wikipedia.

NEO0MJ

Oh, didn't know about the games troubled history, as truth be told I have no interest in it. I was just providing a reason as to why it might not be so bad for it to sell what's nowadays considered a low amount of units.

The Etrian Odyssey fanbase is very loyal, despite all the milking going on. I confess I have yet to purchase 1, 2 and Q. 😨

Edit: Oh and MD too. Eek. Like I said, milking.

So are you saying that you think that Until Dawn was a cheap game to make and that Sony is making greater than average profit on each game sold? FYI this game started out being announced as a PS3 game at Gamescom 2012. Then it had to be pretty much rebuilt for the PS4 so I don't see how you can say it was a cheap game to make.

Edit: Beaten by hodayathink while I had to look up the info on wikipedia.

Honestly, I think Until Dawn has a much better shot at getting a sequel than something like The Order because while it took a while for them to get there, they did actual come up with a game that seems to have resonated with critics and audiences. A sequel to UD would more than likely take much less time and money to make than the original, as you have the basic gameplay system down and the biggest part would be coming up with a new story. Compared to something like The Order, which would have had to try to be cheaper while figuring out how to rework the gameplay into something that was more in line with what the market wants (and, arguably, adding more content to make the game seem more worth it's price).

Oh, I didn't know there was a sales figure floating around. Yeah 90k is a bit rough actually. Hopefully we'll have a DriveClub situation where Europe picks up the slack and ensures the game succeeds commercially. It's is topping a lot of charts in European countries at least.

UD seem to have good WOM and it has gotten a lot of views on streaming sites .
So the question is will that give it some legs or will people that watch be find with just that .

It starting in 2013 don't mean that much if the teams was small.
They also got the KZDF engine to use and this being a first party mean the don't have to pay a fee .

Honestly, I think Until Dawn has a much better shot at getting a sequel than something like The Order because while it took a while for them to get there, they did actual come up with a game that seems to have resonated with critics and audiences. A sequel to UD would more than likely take much less time and money to make than the original, as you have the basic gameplay system down and the biggest part would be coming up with a new story. Compared to something like The Order, which would have had to try to be cheaper while figuring out how to rework the gameplay into something that was more in line with what the market wants (and, arguably, adding more content to make the game seem more worth it's price).

I can agree with that, but The Order was a total mess. The defense of Until Dawn shouldn't always begin with an attempt to lower expectations. First it was that it was a niche game and not expected to do well anyway. Now it is "Well at least it is not as bad as The Order".

Now to be fair I just looked up how other games like this have done. Heavy Rain did quite well and Beyond Two Souls seems to have done ok too. Heavy Rain sold over 2 million in its first ~12 months and Beyond Two Souls sold 1 million in its first 3 months. That proves that these games can do better than I originally thought.

Then again I wonder if novelty was a factor. I bought Heavy Rain because it was something new, but I passed on Beyond Two Souls. I'm curious about Until Dawn do to good word of mouth, but doubt it would be worth the full asking price. I'll keep an eye on Ebay and pick the game up used once it get in the $20-$30 territory. That doesn't seem like it would take too long, since the last time I checked the average of the last 5 sold copies was already down to ~$41. The speed at which that price is falling is another indication that it won't have very good legs.

Anyway I doubt that until Dawn will do anywhere near the numbers of Heavy Rain or Beyond Two Souls.

FYI it looks like these cinematic games in the PS3 era cost about $40 million to make including development, marketing and distribution.

Oh, I didn't know there was a sales figure floating around. Yeah 90k is a bit rough actually. Hopefully we'll have a DriveClub situation where Europe picks up the slack and ensures the game succeeds commercially. It's is topping a lot of charts in European countries at least.

Yeah, the EU sales will help significantly I'm sure.
I'll be helping by picking it up later this month after MGS V

I was happy to see Driveclub reach 2 million and I hope UD has similar success.

PS4 barely won huh?
So is it a safe bet that Halo will carry XB1 to victory?
Preseason is over too, XB is ready to play now.

Not in September. MGS V and Destiny will carry PS4 to another victory.

October should be XB1's fairly easily thanks to the Halo juggernaut.
Nov/Dec are a toss up.

Top Bottom