• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2009

farnham said:
excuse to whom... they can support whomever they want to.. at the end their stubborn stance to the wii is going to hurt themselves and their investors..

Exactly. But will they pull the same mistake twice with the "Wii 2" especially since it'll have HD graphics?

Also I think Zelda Wii can outsell OoT...

Dalthien said:
Yes.

Okay, just for fun, I included 3rd-party Wii titles in brackets.

> 400k:

Wii - 7 (1)
DS - 6
360 - 4
PS3 - 2
PS2 - 0
PSP - 0

> 200k:

Wii - 15+ (5+)
DS - 10+
360 - 5+
PS3 - 5+
PS2 - 0
PSP - 0

> 100k:

Wii - 40+ (30+)
DS - 40+
360 - 15+
PS3 - 10+
PS2 - 0+
PSP - 0+

> 50k:

Wii - 90+ (75+)
DS - 90+
360 - 30+
PS3 - 30+
PS2 - 5+
PSP - 5+

> 20k:

Wii - 200+ (175+)
DS - 190+
360 - 70+
PS3 - 60+
PS2 - 25+
PSP - 35+

According to this data, the 1st party titles should be 66. Have really Nintendo developed 66 games in the Wii lifespan?

AniHawk

Pennywise83 said:
According to this data, the 1st party titles should be 66. Have really Nintendo developed 66 games in the Wii lifespan?

What the info is saying is that there were about 25 or so Nintendo published games that appeared on the chart with 20k sales or more.

amtentori said:
Hmmm.

Predictions for Zelda Wii anyone?
I think it should easily outsell Oot given the Wii userbase.

Or will it prove that there really are no core gamers on Wii anymore?

It will outsell tp for sure. The user base is huge. If advertised properly.

farnham

Banned
crazy monkey said:
It will outsell tp for sure. The user base is huge. If advertised properly.
Its being published by Nintendo.. and its no excitebots level game.. (sorry to monster games.. i loved their game..) so being advertised properly is a given..

Mayor Haggar said:
Very happy for those Punch-Out!! numbers, hope that will equal up to a sequel soon.
or another revival made by next level games.. or even better.. another mario strikers game (with PES controlls)!!

Agnates said:
If it sells in line with all past Zelda games it won't prove it has core gamers? It has to sell even more? So, Wii can't rest on the laurels of having a sizable portion of the core gamers of past years, it also has to give birth to more core gamers? What? Anyway, I'm sure it will outsell TP, dunno about OoT.

TP outsold OoT

Agnates

Banned
amtentori said:
Hmmm.

Predictions for Zelda Wii anyone?
I think it should easily outsell Oot given the Wii userbase.

Or will it prove that there really are no core gamers on Wii anymore?
If it sells in line with all past Zelda games it won't prove it has core gamers? It has to sell even more? So, Wii can't rest on the laurels of having a sizable portion of the core gamers of past years, it also has to give birth to more core gamers or make those who didn't like Zelda before like it now? What?

Anyway, I'm sure it will outsell TP (it will probably also be marketed more because it's going to be the first "cinematic" AAA in budget and development production heavily based on motion controls across all platforms, no?), but I dunno about OoT. It's quite possible though.

Anyway, even if it becomes one of the top selling Wii games (it won't) people will still just bundle it alongside the rest first party stuff as not proving anything.

AniHawk said:
WAW is at around 700k. The Force Unleashed is over 900k. It should be a million seller sometime in 2010.
Interesting. How does Force Unleashed stack up against the 360/PS3 version? CoD is obviously swamped.

AniHawk

Lonely1 said:
Is this LTD?
Yes.

MGS4 is over 1.3m, KZ2 is over 800k.

Aaron Strife said:
Interesting. How does Force Unleashed stack up against the 360/PS3 version? CoD is obviously swamped.

It's between the two, but somewhat close to being the best-selling SKU (about a 50k difference).

Fredescu

Stumpokapow said:
1) Dragon Age is >900k lifetime so far between the 360 and PS3 versions.
2) As a result, Dragon Age first two months sales between 360 and PS3 versions is above Mass Effect's first two month sales.
3) The 360 version of Dragon Age is above 600k, although below Mass Effect's first two month sales.
LTD is 1.14 million, but I don't know if that includes PC or not. Hoping we find out on Feb 8 when EA release their financials.

topramen

anihawk, how are the easports titles doing on wii?

Madden 10, Tiger, Grandslam etc.

last we heard from grandslam it was around 55 k first month.

how does madden 10 stack up to 09 and 08?

also, could you give us an idea of the ltd of wii's "big" 08 games (deblob and wario)

Hmm, wasn't the whole battle in 06 which game would sell more, Gears or Zelda. So what has Gears1 done?

Oh and if you can LBP PS3 LTD?

Thanks.

farnham

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
Hmm, wasn't the whole battle in 06 which game would sell more, Gears or Zelda. So what has Gears1 done?
my guess would be that zelda TP (GC and Wii combined) sold a little less or similar to gears 1.. more then gears 2.. and the wii version alone sold a lot less then Gears..

AniHawk said:
TP for the Wii is at around 2.6m. It's more than what TWW did (2.3m), but less than what OoT did (3.5m). Of course, it's not taking into account that there were about a million TPs sold on the Gamecube either.

Does that Ocarina number include the Gamecube port? If not, any idea of how close TP_GCN+TP_Wii is to OoT_64+OoT_GCN?

I'm guessing there's no hard data on OoT_VC, since that's out of NPD's scope, and Nintendo themselves don't seem to care about reporting downloadable game numbers.

Rainier

2qk6zgo.jpg

Love the new avatar, I'm assuming that glass is half empty?

I thought Killzone 2 would be over a million by now. Anyone know the World LTD number?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
farnham said:
my guess would be that zelda TP (GC and Wii combined) sold a little less or similar to gears 1.. more then gears 2.. and the wii version alone sold a lot less then Gears..
You suck at guessing.

AniHawk

MiamiWesker said:

Oh and if you can LBP PS3 LTD?

Thanks.

Gears > TP Wii

TP Wii + GC > Gears

FrankT

AniHawk said:
Yes.

MGS4 is over 1.3m, KZ2 is over 800k.

It's between the two, but somewhat close to being the best-selling SKU (about a 50k difference).

This is kind of interesting considering there was a near 300k gap first month and then they both dropped out of the top 20 the second.

Jtyettis said:
This is kind of interesting considering there was a near 300k gap first month and then they both dropped out of the top 20 the second.

Legs... There's something to note about the type of audience that buys the wii that I think analysts and even third party ceos miss. The audience doesn't have a real defined taste. However, full price($50) is just too much to that type of audience unless there is some unique draw to your title(see pretty much any nintendo title, guitar hero, rock band, etc). Nintendo does benefit of course from it's core audience on its core titles. So, even with a full price, they can manage decent sales. Of course with Nintendo, you know you're getting quality so the Wii audience isn't as hesitant even for games without some unique factor. However, for third party titles that are not unique, you have to either not release at full price which, let's be honest, most third parties could do easily considering their budgets or have something unique about them. There's of course a third alternative, but it involves building a quality brand which may be impossible for some third parties to do since they stained the pool so to speak.

Edit: If you want to know what I think is the ideal price for most third party software, I'd say $30-40 for platformers, action games, adventure games, and fps games. For lightgun shooters and mini-game collections, $20-30 is probably the sweet spot.

FrankT

mugurumakensei said:
Legs... There's something to note about the type of audience that buys the wii that I think analysts and even third party ceos miss. The audience doesn't have a real defined taste. However, full price($50) is just too much to that type of audience unless there is some unique draw to your title(see pretty much any nintendo title, guitar hero, rock band, etc). Nintendo does benefit of course from it's core audience on its core titles. So, even with a full price, they can manage decent sales. Of course with Nintendo, you know you're getting quality so the Wii audience isn't as hesitant even for games without some unique factor. However, for third party titles that are not unique, you have to either not release at full price which, let's be honest, most third parties could do easily considering their budgets or have something unique about them. There's of course a third alternative, but it involves building a quality brand which may be impossible for some third parties to do since they stained the pool so to speak.

Yea, I totally read that wrong. Thought that was a comparison between the 360/PS3 versions. I see the Wii is at 50k below the 360 version. Makes sense.

V_Ben said:
umm. what does LTD stand for? :lol

Life to date.

Also, Ani Hawk, can when you post numbers can you give info whether it's LTD or Dec (or whatever month(s) you're talking about)? Since some of the numbers you posted are a bit confusing.

Baki

Rainier said:
2qk6zgo.jpg

Love the new avatar, I'm assuming that glass is half empty?

I thought Killzone 2 would be over a million by now. Anyone know the World LTD number?
I'm guessing the holiday bundle ate into KZ2 holiday sales.

V_Ben said:
umm. what does LTD stand for? :lol

Life to Date, i.e. the sales of a title from launch to the date the numbers were published. Typically the sales numbers we get are either expressed in LTD only or as weekly/monthly sales and LTD - for example 152k (1,345,250 LTD)

Reggie makes a bet, time passes and then suddenly:

*achievement unlocked*

"Industry Muad'dib" 1000 gamer street cred point

- Foresee your 2-d David beating the biggest 3-d hd Goliath, both hd platforms combined.

AniHawk

Bel Marduk said:
Life to date.

Also, Ani Hawk, can when you post numbers can you give info whether it's LTD or Dec (or whatever month(s) you're talking about)? Since some of the numbers you posted are a bit confusing.

everything I've posted today, with the exception of the Wario numbers have been ltd.

AniHawk

LBP PS3 is 700k or so, but not counting GOTY edition.

Resistance is still Sony's best selling PS3 game by a hundred thousand or two. The next closest is Uncharted 2.

Baki

AniHawk said:

Resistance is still Sony's best selling PS3 game by a hundred thousand or two. The next closest is Uncharted 2.
I expect U2 to hit 1.5M LTD in USA. The game has impressive legs.

AniHawk said:

So there are only 1 or 2 different million sellers when looking at first party titles for the system? Shocking considering the first party output compared to the first party output of the 360.

dolemite

NonexistentK said:
- Foresee your 2-d David beating the biggest 3-d hd Goliath, both hd platforms combined.
Since when is Mario the underdog? It's more like Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla. Even if one loses now, there's always ten sequel to come.

Haunted

Dalthien said:
Yes.

Okay, just for fun, I included 3rd-party Wii titles in brackets.

> 100k:

Wii - 40+ (30+)
DS - 40+
360 - 15+
PS3 - 10+
PS2 - 0+
PSP - 0+

> 50k:

Wii - 90+ (75+)
DS - 90+
360 - 30+
PS3 - 30+
PS2 - 5+
PSP - 5+
Wow, that is super interesting. Thanks for that. I mean, the numbers always suggested the Wii having a larger underbelly than the other consoles, but seeing the direct comparison like that... should be very interesting data for smaller and mid-tier devs/pubs which are mainly depending on those titles.

Of course, the biggest third party devs (EA, Activision, Ubi) might draw different conclusions since they're aiming for those breakthrough hits with their AAA titles. Still, even they have plenty of mid-tier titles to finance the larger ones.

Haunted

dolemite said:
Since when is Mario the underdog? It's more like Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla. Even if one loses now, there's always ten sequel to come.
:lol excellent

oh what I wouldn't give for some NSMBWii budget estimates (dev costs + marketing).

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Baki said:
I expect U2 to hit 1.5M LTD in USA. The game has impressive legs.
How do we know it has impressive legs?

The game is 3 months old and 2 of those months were Holiday months.

It could sell 5 copies this month for all we know.

Baki

user_nat said:
How do we know it has impressive legs?

The game is 3 months old and 2 of those months were Holiday months.

It could sell 5 copies this month for all we know.
I was actually referring to Europe. That said, its 3rd month was 2X that of its 2nd month.

Top Bottom