• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2009

Motion controls are the future. The only reason Wii is doing this well because its the only product of its kind on the market. Nothing stays on top forever my friend, people are going to want the next best thing. Just having the Nintendo logo isnt enough to keep it at #1

AniHawk

I see a Lisa Lionheart/Malibu Stacy situation going down. Microsoft goes through all this work to release this brand new thing, people are excited, and Nintendo just craps out a Vitality Sensor and then everyone says, "...but she's got a new hat!" and they go for that instead.

Rainier

Automatic Man said:
Crazy numbers but Nintendo needs this, because Natal is going to embarrass it next Christmas.
If you mean Christmas 2010, I think you're insane. But if you're referring to Christmas 2011, by then, who knows...

AniHawk said:
I see a Lisa Lionheart/Malibu Stacy situation going down. Microsoft goes through all this work to release this brand new thing, people are excited, and Nintendo just craps out a Vitality Sensor and then everyone says, "...but she's got a new hat!" and they go for that instead.
That's awesome :lol

Automatic Man said:
Motion controls are the future. The only reason Wii is doing this well because its the only product of its kind on the market. Nothing stays on top forever my friend, people are going to want the next best thing. Just having the Nintendo logo isnt enough to keep it at #1

:lol At best Natal will coincide with the Wii not embarrass it. Thinking the 360 will do ridiculously high numbers like the Wii last year and even this year is stupid. It won't even be close. People aren't buying things in droves because of the Nintendo logo otherwise games like Punch Out or Excitebots would've sold better. How about games like Wii Sports, NSMB, etc. sold well because those are games that appeal lots to the expanded market and also the Nintendo core and other gamers (at least in the case of NSMB). I've yet to see Natal garner a similar response.

Also are you forgetting something called the Vitality Sensor? That also has the possibility of being the "next big thing" just like Wii Fit even though a lot of people laugh at it.

OldJadedGamer said:
Funny, would have gotten the same response if you said in the Summer of 2006 that the Wii was going to decimate the PS3. You never know what will happen.......

Thing is, Wii is a console. It launched with no pre-existing image with Nintendo going so far as to remove its name from the branding. The Natal is a peripheral launching for a system that already has an existing image. You can't really compare the situation.

Indyana

AniHawk said:
No, but there's enough there where you could make a good guess, I think.
Ok, I'm going to guess that Wario Land LTD is around 230-250k.

Excitebots LTD (Nov) ~ 110k.
Wario Land (Dec) > Excitebots (LTD).
Wario Land (LTD) doubled on December, so Wario Land (LTD Nov) = Wario Land (Dec).

Wario Land (LTD) > 2 x 110k.

Edited, because I forgot a detail.

Going by those LTD numbers and what we got from the NPD in 08, LBP has sold about 100k copies in 2009 (not including GOTY which probably took all sales for the holiday season). MGS4 sold about 300k copies in 2009.

mugurumakensei said:
Thing is, Wii is a console. It launched with no pre-existing image with Nintendo going so far as to remove its name from the branding. The Natal is a peripheral launching for a system that already has an existing image. You can't really compare the situation.

What are you talking about, the Nintendo name is bigger on the box of the Wii than it was on the GameCube. Nintendo had a worse image when the Wii launched then it ever had previously in it's history.

OldJadedGamer said:
What are you talking about, the Nintendo name is bigger on the box of the Wii than it was on the GameCube. Nintendo had a worse image when the Wii launched then it ever had previously in it's history.

Even the holiday 2009 commercial didn't really mention Nintendo. It just has the little Wii with the "I"s that lean forward then backward then straight and at the end you see Wii console not Nintendo Wii.

Bananakin

AniHawk said:

:lol :lol :lol

jrricky

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Umm, Nintendo went out of its way to take its name off of Wii branding the exact time it launched the name "Wii" that memorable day. Thats why you dont see "Nintendo Wii" around anywhere.

dolemite

AniHawk said:
No.

EDIT: Well, maybe if there was a collector's edition that sold half a million or something.
How could you forget this:
41ejHBKijnL._SS400_.jpg

toxk_02 said:
? They almost completely removed their name from the Wii box. The 'Nintendo' logo only shows up on the side of the box and it even then it can't be bigger than an inch and a half long.

Wii box: http://i48.tinypic.com/30leznl.jpg
Gamecube box: http://i45.tinypic.com/24b66pw.jpg

We are looking at two different boxes:

The American box has that huge sticker on it for Wii Play but the Japanese box has a big Nintendo logo there. I just checked my launch box and the Nintendo logo appears on 5/6 sides of the box.

Btw, the PS2 box doesn't have the Sony name on the front... the Dreamcast Box didn't have the Sega name that big on the box. The Wii box and the Nintendo logo is normal for game systems. There is no "hiding"

OldJadedGamer said:
We are looking at two different boxes:

The American box has that huge sticker on it for Wii Play but the Japanese box has a big Nintendo logo there. I just checked my launch box and the Nintendo logo appears on 5/6 sides of the box.

http://image1.play-asia.com/640/1t/pa.32631.3.jpg

It's so huge. :lol

Now let's look at a bundle for Gamecube that even had Namco properties on it.
http://photos-e.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v234/177/3/197000224/n197000224_30285004_8926.jpg
Note: Nintendo logo much larger than on the Wii.

As for "Sony" not appearing on the PS2 box, Playstation does, and Playstation is very much the brand for Sony consoles not "Sony". With Dreamcast, I'm certain Sega was trying to move away from the image of Sega. However, the growth of the playstation brand and the hype surrounding the ps2 effectively killed it.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
AniHawk said:
Nice. :lol

JudgeN

Its so sad the lack of legs sony first party titles have, didn't LBP sale like 600k before it fell out of NPD charts? I feel bad for the developers, they realy deserve better sales.

JudgeN said:
Its so sad the lack of legs sony first party titles have, didn't LBP sale like 600k before it fell out of NPD charts? I feel bad for the developers, they realy deserve better sales.
Don't forget how much downstream money they make from DLC.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Indyana said:
Ok, I'm going to guess that Wario Land LTD is around 230-250k.

Excitebots LTD (Nov) ~ 110k.
Wario Land (Dec) > Excitebots (LTD).
Wario Land (LTD) doubled on December, so Wario Land (LTD Nov) = Wario Land (Dec).

Wario Land (LTD) > 2 x 110k.

Edited, because I forgot a detail.
You're not a very good guesser either.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
JudgeN said:
I think a fairly small company like Media Molecule would be pretty happy with 700k sales.

That more than most games sell.

topramen

Any word on the easports wii games LTD?
Madden 10, GrandSlam, Tiger?

Hows madden 10 doing compared to 09 and 08?

Also how did the other "big core holiday 08 title" de blob fare this past year?

Automatic Man said:

The Nintendo/Wii brand name will be ingrained in the minds of people as the original source of motion controls in gaming for quite some time to come. That brand awareness isn't going to guarantee them market leader status again next generation, but it will certainly be a useful tool in the short-term fight against Natal. Another great potential tool in that fight is the accessibility and intuitiveness of using Wii motion controls versus the end-user experience on the Natal. The tech may prove to be superior, but if Natal can't trump the ease and intuitive feeling of the Wiimote, then it's not going to succeed all that much.

I think the best case scenario for MS (after Natal launches) is to sell close to or evenly with the Wii until next-gen. But it could easily fail to meet those expectations. MS's real goal will be paving the way for their next console to not only have such capabilities out-of-the-box, but also to have a proven history of providing a high caliber of such capabilities. And I imagine they'll be hedging their bets on Nintendo not being able to pull off another game-changer with the successor to the Wii as they did with its predecessor.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, but I think they and many others will underestimate the new-found stickability of the Nintendo home console brand and Nintendo's uncanny ability to combine ingenuity, quality and accessibility in most of what they do.

donny2112

Current tie ratios in the U.S. from Nintendo's financial briefing:

360 - 8.82
PS3 - 6.62
WII - 6.56

JoshuaJSlone,

Can you update your "games purchased per week" stat with this new data? Thanks! :)

donny2112 said:
Current tie ratios in the U.S. from Nintendo's financial briefing:

360 - 8.82
PS3 - 6.62
WII - 6.56

JoshuaJSlone,

Can you update your "games purchased per week" stat with this new data? Thanks! :)
Sure thing, donny.

First, the loooong view:

X360: 164 M games / 1,799 M weeks ownership = 0.091 games/week
PS3: 73.6 M games / 762 M weeks ownership = 0.097 games/week
Wii: 178 M games / 1,844 M weeks ownership = 0.097 games/week

However, it's also possible to take a shorter view. The last time I have decent tie ratios noted down is after September. They only went to 1 decimal so they're not as accurate, but hey. Anyway, by looking at the change in total games as well as the change in weeks ownership, we should get a games/week stat specific to Q4 2009.

X360: 21.3 M games / 223 M weeks ownership = 0.096 games/week
PS3: 14.3 M games / 125 M weeks ownership = 0.114 games/week
Wii: 37.9 M games / 304 M weeks ownership = 0.125 games/week

I've said before that one of the key problems with the whole games/week stat is that new system owners and older system owners wouldn't be expected to buy games at the same rate. So while I won't try to calculate it away somehow, it's at least worth noting how much the userbase grew during Q4, to get some idea of how "new heavy" certain systems were that quarter.

X360: +14.6%
PS3: +27.4%
Wii: +25.9%

Thanks for that, JoshuaJSlone. It's still amazing how close these numbers are (the long term, that is). It's also a bit ironic that the 360 has the lowest number just now (however slightly), despite its reputation and record attach rate.

I like being above average, which I am by quite a bit for all 3 consoles. :D

gkryhewy

Looks like that amazing December soaked up much of Nintendo's surplus stock -- Wii is now sold out in a few places online, including Amazon and Best Buy.

Road

Third party LTD sales in the US:

slide07-2_l.jpg

Average sales per title (Oct, Nov, Dec and only Dec; 1st and 3rd party):

slide08_l.jpg

Total sold (Dec / Oct + Nov + Dec):

WII - 24,917,650 / 37,193,384
360 - 9,763,068 / 22,026,671
PS3 - 7,281,459 / 15,090,380

Average sales per title (3rd party):

slide09_l.jpg

And... Average sales per title (3rd party, excluding MW2):

slide10_l.jpg

[Nintex]

Automatic Man said:
The reason the Wii does well is because Nintendo had succeeded earlier with the DS. They pretty much used the same strategy for the Wii, developed great software and got the masses. The failure or success of the Wii, Arc and Natal depends entirely on the first party developers who have full access to the technology and probably had some input during the development of the hardware.

I'm a Rare fan but Rare hasn't made a game for the 'masses' since GoldenEye. I doubt they'd ever be able to carry Natal on their own. Molyneux has great ideas but often his ideas are better than the implementation and I just can't see Milo and Kate do that well as packaged software. The recent slump in minigame collection sales on the Wii has also shown that Microsoft and Sony need to come up with new games that Nintendo can't do on the Wii (based heavily on Xbox Live or advanced AI or presentation) instead of Natal/Arc Fit, Natal/Arc Sports and Natal/Arc Kart.

donny2112

Road said:
And... Average sales per title (3rd party, excluding MW2):

slide10_l.jpg

Now Nintendo's playing the "exclusion" game. :lol

So, outside of MW2, third-party games did better on Wii, on average, than PS3 or 360 third-party games did. Of course, the individual games aren't comparable in the slightest (Assassin's Creed II vs. Just Dance; Fight!), but that's still interesting.

Thanks, Road! :)

donny2112 said:
Now Nintendo's playing the "exclusion" game. :lol

So, outside of MW2, third-party games did better on Wii, on average, than PS3 or 360 third-party games did. Of course, the individual games aren't comparable in the slightest (Assassin's Creed II vs. Just Dance; Fight!), but that's still interesting.

Thanks, Road! :)

Think about what would happen if you took out the original modern warfare and GTA IV. It would certainly paint a different picture of the third party situation than what publishers are saying.:lol

mugurumakensei said:
Think about what would happen if you took out the original modern warfare and GTA IV. It would certainly paint a different picture of the third party situation than what publishers are saying.:lol

To make that a fair comparison, wouldn't you have to remove the largest 3rd party games from the Wii list as well?

Bye bye Guitar Hero 3 and Mario & Sonic.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Sho_Nuff82 said:
To make that a fair comparison, wouldn't you have to remove the largest 3rd party games from the Wii list as well?

Bye bye Guitar Hero 3 and Mario & Sonic.
Pachter already did that. Except the minus COD or GTA part.

Top Bottom