• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2010 [Up5: Some Kinect/Move Data]

Haunted

My god @ Gran Turismo 5.

Looks like that insane Wii record from last year will hold for a good while longer. Surprised to see Epic Mickey. Too little, too late of course, but good to see a big core third party project finding success on Wii.

edit: the thread will pick up as soon as more numbers come in. Will check again in two days or so. Man, NPD fucking sucks.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Why For? said:
Compared to what?

Regular games? Or other AAA games 6 years in development, and 'system sellers'?

This just gets silly seriously, I don't understand why certain individuals on here are so opposed to GT5 being classed as success, at least financially, it doesn't matter how long the game has been in production, it will make millions of dollars in profit (well, has already), that in today's gaming market is classed as a success imo, in terms of critical acclaim I'll agree, in that respects it hasn't been as successful as it should of been but been this a 'sales age thread' and I was referring more to the finical side of things.

Opiate

Has any system ever had its best year in its 6th Christmas? Honest question. Best year even by a wide margin, at that.

Kenka said:
To be truthful, I think you're right but Microsoft said that they only have three games in the top 10, so it's conflictual with what Anita says.

Microsoft said they had 3 games in the top 10 console games, remove "03. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm** (PC) ACTIVISION BLIZZARD" from the list and perhaps Kinect Sports crept in at number 10.

Anita was talking individual SKUs, so both statements may be correct.

Barrett2

Kafel said:
Well, it's a classic from Sony now.

Andy+IIM.jpg
I need to see his head shopped onto Kaz's body. :lol

Anyways, guess I can't troll Sony too hard, now that i am a 3DTV owner, i am officially addicted to Wipeout HD 3D.

Zachack

plufim said:
It has done surprisingly well in Europe, with sales increasing over christmas. It has handily outsold HD bond game of this year.
You need a better metric than outselling a PS360 game that no one wanted.
While Epic Mickey had questionable quality, it is a good thing it sold well, as it might encourage disney to allow mote experimentation. Had it bombed, then they would have gone right back to their usual tripe. Now we might see more unusual takes on the disney properties, and more exploration of their older IP.
I'd hope so but Kingdom Hearts didn't seem to get that to happen.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Can't wait for numbers. And I find it very gratifying that uDraw is doing so well. It goes to show that third parties can do well if they provide unique, quality experience with a broad audience on the Wii.

Mrbob

GT5 must have sold a ton on PSN.

Opiate said:
Has any system ever had its best year in its 6th Christmas? Honest question. Best year even by a wide margin, at that.

It really is crazy how late the 360 is peaking. Historical in a sense. For this fact I can't think of a reason why MS would push out a new console anytime soon as much as I would like one. I'm thinking 2013 or 2014 now, since I don't expect the 360 to slow down anytime soon. Having purchased a 250GB holiday bundle last week for myself it is a very sleek and sexy redesigned unit.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Opiate said:
DS sold 11.2 million from 9.9 million at its 5th year.

plufim

lowrider007 said:
This just gets silly seriously, I don't understand why certain individuals on here are so opposed to GT5 being classed as success, at least financially, it doesn't matter how long the game has been in production, it will make millions of dollars in profit (well, has already), that in today's gaming market is classed as a success imo, in terms of critical acclaim I'll agree, in that respects it hasn't been as successful as it should of been but been this a 'sales age thread' and I was referring more to the finical side of things.
Sure, but other games with the budget of GT5 (or even a half or a third of it) have done better with shorter development times. Sony investors might start asking questions. For the cost of one GT5 you could have made what, 5 God of War 3s?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
While we're waiting for official numbers, here are some comparisons for 360:

Dec 2005 281,441
Dec 2006 1,100,000
Dec 2007 1,260,000
Dec 2008 1,440,000
Dec 2009 1,310,000
Dec 2010 1,900,000

2005 607,441
2006 3,893,839
2007 4,618,606
2008 4,735,400
2009 4,770,700
2010 6,804,089

Slim and Kinect really revitalized the brand.

Mrbob said:
GT5 must have sold a ton on PSN.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

FrankT

lowrider007 said:
wow @ 360 HW sales, I thought they was inferring that stock was short?

No question it was spotty in places as was mentioned in the month. They would have cleared more easily had it not been the case. Not sure why the silent treatment from Ninty. Where those numbers.

2005 607,441
2006 3,893,839
2007 4,618,606
2008 4,735,400
2009 4,770,700
2010 6,804,089

Beating the best years by 2 million, indeed. Still, this fall will mark 3 years without a price cut.

markatisu

Opiate said:

I don't think any system has tried to have it best christmas that far, I mean the only expansions I can think of are something like the Sega 32x or the Nintendo 64 memory expansion

With the slim and Kinect, MS basically had a 2nd launch which most console never get the chance to do

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So individual sku.

Guessing:

1. Just Dance 2
2. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
3. CoD: Black Ops 360
4. DKCR
5. Assassin's Creed 360
6. Epic Mickey
7. CoD: Black Ops Ps3
8. Dance Central
9. Kinect Sports
10. uDraw
11. Michael Jackson Wii
12. Assassin's Creed PS3
13. Need for Speed 360
14. Michael Jackson DS
15. CoD: Black Ops Wii
etc.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
lawblob said:
I need to see his head shopped onto Kaz's body. :lol

Anyways, guess I can't troll Sny too hard, now that i am a 3DTV owner, i am officially addicted to Wipeout HD 3D.
Wouldn't it be better to have Kaz's head on that body?

soldat7

06nbarnhill said:
There have been a TON of disney games with classic characters that have sold like crap.....

In recent memory? I can't think of any. Mickey Mouse and the Wii are like peanut butter and chocolate.

Regarding GT5, I wonder how much money PD and Sony stand to lose if GT5 doesn't mount a remarkable comeback. In other words, I wonder how much money they'll lose.

Road

DMeisterJ said:
I think the point is that more people might relate to someone else, thus enabling them to buy a PS3
Yes, one single person would make the PS3 sell 3 million copies this December.

Maybe Mario...

hamchan said:
Huh so the Cataclysm numbers includes DD? We know Cataclysm sold 4.7 million over it's first month.

4.7 million for Cataclysm is a) both physical and DD, b) worldwide, and c) counting a full month of sales (i.e. a week into January.) This ranking is for US physical sales only.

We won't have a real number range for a while, but my guess is that a huge percentage of Cataclysm sales were digital: you could start playing at midnight after preloading all the data, and it was extraordinarily easy to buy digitally (I mean, all your necessary info is already stored and you're already guaranteed to be on a decent connection.)

LM4sure said:
Wait, how did the Goldeneye game do on the Wii? I didn't think it did very well.
Pretty bad, like 70k-ish iirc. I guess I should add a few qualifiers to my statement. I think the window has pretty much passed on first/third person shooters because the other two consoles did so much to cement those audiences in particular while the Wii languished for years. It probably didn't help matters any that Goldeneye was following in the wake of the panned Quantum of Solace. Even so, I think there was a good long opening for those sorts of titles in the first few years of the Wii's lifespan that went almost entirely ignored.

Mindlog

Opiate said:
Best year by a wide margin at nearly the same price point?

Once again I'm eagerly waiting to see the ASPs this month. 'Value adding' is possibly the second biggest hardware story next to the Wii's success the gen.

TheOddOne

ICallItFutile said:
While we're waiting for official numbers, here are some comparisons for 360:

2009 4,770,700
2010 6,804,089

Damn, looking from this perspective... thats crazy good.

Shurs

GarthVaderUK said:
Microsoft said they had 3 games in the top 10 console games, remove "03. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm** (PC) ACTIVISION BLIZZARD" from the list and perhaps Kinect Sports crept in at number 10.

That doesn't make sense.

tzare

lowrider007 said:

it could be compared to Alan Wake :D

Some people really hate GT5 that is very obvious, at least they seem to wait for NPD to show their hapiness .

Hopefully GT5 performance in US and Japan which has been average will help GT6 being a better overall game. I think GT5 was the last mistake sony made with PS3 , very Ken kutaragi style. So they are 'free' now. I hope Motorstorm becomes Sony's lead racer game. I love it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
apana said:
Sales of Epic Mickey indicate hope for future Banjo Kazooie game. People are willing to play 3D platformers that aren't connected to Mario in anyway.

I want to believe, but I think it's really the Mickey Mouse name selling the game.

That said, SO many things to like in this NPD.

1) DKC keeps on rolling. My personal GOTY. I want a trilogy ASAP.

2) Epic Mickey and DKCR's success perhaps showing a glimmer of hope for the platforming world.

3) Great sales for Dance Central and Kinect Sports mean that more developers are going to jump aboard. The Kinect game offerings look slim this year and now I'm betting E3 will have tons.

Kenka

GarthVaderUK said:
Microsoft said they had 3 games in the top 10 console games, remove "03. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm** (PC) ACTIVISION BLIZZARD" from the list and perhaps Kinect Sports crept in a number 10.

You're a god among men.

So, let's recap if we assume that no DS game charted :

[x] 01. Just Dance 2 ---> Anita Frazier said it was top SKU this month so it is > 1.8 M (cause CoD sold approximatively 3.6 M copies this month - 12M compared to 8.4M last month)
[x] 02. CoD (360)
03. COD (PS3)
[x] 04. DKC ?
[x] 05. Epic Mickey ?
[x] 06. AssBro (360)
07. Mario Kart Wii
[x] 08. Kinect Sports ?
[x] 09. uDraw ?
[x] 10. Dance Central

Everything that has a [x] in front of it is charting in the Top 10 for sure. Low bound for Just Dance 2 is confirmed.

Opiate

If we even assume that this year is an inflection point for the 360 (that is, we are conservative and assume this is the best year the 360 will ever have), then it would likely take 2-3 more years before sales dropped down to unacceptable levels. I think Sony and particularly Microsoft appear to be on track for the intended 10 year lifespans of their systems.

Top Bottom