• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2010 [Up5: Some Kinect/Move Data]

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Pretty bad, like 70k-ish iirc. I guess I should add a few qualifiers to my statement. I think the window has pretty much passed on first/third person shooters because the other two consoles did so much to cement those audiences in particular while the Wii languished for years. It probably didn't help matters any that Goldeneye was following in the wake of the panned Quantum of Solace. Even so, I think there was a good long opening for those sorts of titles in the first few years of the Wii's lifespan that went almost entirely ignored.
Also it came out literally one week before Black Ops. Even if you're buying a shooter on the Wii, you're probably going to buy Call of Duty Wii instead. (It would probably be a mistake, but still.)

Incidentally, I'm guessing the Wii outsold the 360 this month, since Microsoft hasn't said anything about them having the best selling console this December.

Why For?

Banned
Opiate said:
If we even assume that this year is an inflection point for the 360 (that is, we are conservative and assume this is the best year the 360 will ever have), then it would likely take 2-3 more years before sales dropped down to unacceptable levels. I think Sony and particularly Microsoft appear to be on track for the intended 10 year lifespans of their systems.

Fuck yeah if so.

Vinci

Danish
plufim said:
Oh they've tried. They just usually fail, and fail hard.

How many have had the combined might of a corporation as wealthy and influential as MS with the ENTIRE 3rd party industry backing it?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Kenka said:
You're a god among men.

So, let's recap if we assume that no DS game charted :

[x] 01. Just Dance 2 ---> Anita Frazier said it was top SKU this month so it is > 1.8 M (cause CoD sold approximatively 3.6 M copies this month - 12M compared to 8.4M last month)

Everything that has a [x] in front of it is charting in the Top 10 for sure. Low bound for Just Dance 2 is confirmed.

Black Ops is on 5 platforms, not 2.

Likely over 1.8 anyhow, since the 360 SKU should make up about 50% of the sales anyhow.

Opiate

Let's say the 360 drops 20% next year, and 20% the year after that. That's a fairly precipitous drop, so I'm being conservative here. That would mean that in 2012, as the 360 passes its eighth Christmas, the 360 would be selling ~4.4 million units, or just 300k short of its average totals in year 2-4.

And all of this is assuming the 360 has peaked, which may not be the case.

Vinci

Danish
Prine said:
Id say i was more cautious. Didnt want to conclude without giving them time to do something.

No one is invincible in this industry. People thought Atari was - crash. People thought Nintendo was - crash. People thought Sony was - crash.

Even MS is capable of being crushed. It's just harder.

LCfiner

Not surprised by GT5 sales. this happens for pretty much any heavily anticipated game that somewhat underperforms the first month. the Gaf thread always says that it'll chart the next month since it was "only out for (x) days".

but it never does.

GT5 can be good fun but its place as Sony's biggest IP in NA is long gone.

3rdman

lowrider007 said:
This just gets silly seriously, I don't understand why certain individuals on here are so opposed to GT5 being classed as success, at least financially, it doesn't matter how long the game has been in production, it will make millions of dollars in profit (well, has already), that in today's gaming market is classed as a success imo, in terms of critical acclaim I'll agree, in that respects it hasn't been as successful as it should of been but been this a 'sales age thread' and I was referring more to the finical side of things.
Success? It's been 6 years in the making and doesn't even place in the top 10 in its first full month on the charts. That's a disaster as far as Sony is concerned...Exactly how many millions were spent making this? How many times did Sony pick up the tab when somebody wanted to record the sound a driver's fart sounds like driving Sebring? Seriously, did you or anyone in SonyGaf could honestly have predicted that in December GT5 wouldn't make top 10? No? Anybody?

The sales of titles are measured against its own expectations, right...if we can briefly use that as the main measuring stick for which it is judged, GT5 is a failure.

tzare

Majine said:
I hope 2011 gets better for PS3. They are pushing out every goddamn franchise they got this year.
they are doing ok, just the other two are doing great . In the US at least

YYZ

Holy shit who could have foreseen how bad things would get for Sony. Games aren't selling well at all and sales will be even worse with the PS3 security being blown wide open.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Majine said:
I hope 2011 gets better for PS3. They are pushing out every goddamn franchise they got this year.

Technically, they pushed nearly every franchise they got already, most several times by now.

TheOddOne

shintoki said:
Technically, they pushed nearly every franchise they got already, most several times by now.
Yeah, while the 2011 lineup looks impressive I don't think it will translate that much in sales.

Majine

Banned
shintoki said:
It'll be interesting to see how LBP2 does. The first game had some impressive legs and they have hopefully built up a large fanbase for the second game.

Vinci

Danish
YYZ said:
Holy shit who could have foreseen how bad things would get for Sony. Games aren't selling well at all and sales will be even worse with the PS3 security being blown wide open.

Actually, that might help the hardware sales increase.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
apana said:
Oh, that's what I was guessing in my head. I'm actually a fan of that manga but haven't read it for so long since they have only released 4 volumes.
It's been put in indefinite hiatus. I wouldn't bother reading it anymore, unless you can handle it never being finish.

Majine said:
It'll be interesting to see how LBP2 does. The first game had some impressive legs and they have hopefully built up a large fanbase for the second game.
Many of the sales are due to a massive discount in price and heavy bundling. While I don't think it will be a tank like Motorstorm 1 -> 2 was. It's hard to say if it's going be a gangbuster success either. But on the positive side, it's coming out at a fantastic time. Few weeks after the holidays and probably getting the first major advertising push since/of the year.

plufim

LCfiner said:
Not surprised by GT5 sales. this happens for pretty much any heavily anticipated game that somewhat underperforms the first month. the Gaf thread always says that it'll chart the next month since it was "only out for (x) days".

but it never does.

GT5 can be good fun but its place as Sony's biggest IP in NA is long gone.
"Sales will pick up next month"
"Load times will be improved with a patch"
"The problems indicated in the preview/demo will be fixed by launch"

and so on.

We don't learn.

Why For?

Banned
YYZ said:

In most countries outside the US, the piracy will most likely help the PS3.

It certainly will in Australia.

Sony wont have to give away so many PS3s with Bravias down here anymore now. Aussies love them some piracy.

apana

shintoki said:
It's been put in indefinite hiatus.I wouldn't bother reading it anymore, unless you can handle it never being finish.

Oh no, saddest NPD thread ever.

Edit: Sorry about distractions, wont happen now.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Avatar talk deleted, please stay on topic.

More data will be forthcoming, so whining about the state of NPD or how "boring" this thread is is pointless.

The Felo

Neo Member
I'm just happy a Rare game is in the single sku top 10. Kinect Sports is awesome :D

GT5...you know this shit is, fuckin ridiculous.

Kenka

user_nat said:
Black Ops is on 5 platforms, not 2.

Likely over 1.8 anyhow, since the 360 SKU should make up about 50% of the sales anyhow.

Fuck. I figured out something completely wrong. :-((((((((((

Nirolak, Evil, sorry :-(

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Why For? said:
In most countries outside the US, the piracy will most likely help the PS3.

It certainly will in Australia.

Sony wont have to give away so many PS3s with Bravias down here anymore now. Aussies love them some piracy.

But Sony makes money off the software...?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
3rdman said:
Success? It's been 6 years in the making and doesn't even place in the top 10 in its first full month on the charts. That's a disaster as far as Sony is concerned...Exactly how many millions were spent making this? How many times did Sony pick up the tab when somebody wanted to record the sound a driver's fart sounds like driving Sebring? Seriously, did you or anyone in SonyGaf could honestly have predicted that in December GT5 wouldn't make top 10? No? Anybody?

The sales of titles are measured against its own expectations, right...if we can briefly use that as the main measuring stick for which it is judged, GT5 is a failure.

wow a "disaster", a "failure" ?, I'm sorry mate but those words don't mix with GT5 or the GT franchise imo, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree otherwise it'll just become a circular argument bogging this thread down.

plufim

Zachack said:
Name them. For reference, by most standards the 32X would barely qualify as a relaunch, and IMO would not qualify.
32X and SEGA CD were going to be my examples.

Also N64 DD, which didn't even get to leave japan.

EviLore said:
Avatar talk deleted, please stay on topic.

More data will be forthcoming, so whining about the state of NPD or how "boring" this thread is is pointless.
We have no patience. We are gamers...

Microsoft has done a great job with 360 marketing

We know Kinect titles are doing relatively well. If Kinect Sports and Dance Central did indeed chart in the Top 10, that's a pretty amazing accomplishment. I expect the momentum to build for Kinect over this year with word of mouth. Dance Central is really an experience.

Also, GT5 has got to be a massive disappointment for Sony. For all the time and dollars delegated to the project, its incredible how relatively poor its sales are.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
EviLore said:
so whining about the state of NPD or how "boring" this thread is is pointless.

Agreed, last month we ended up getting some great info, I kind of like it being drip fed to us, makes it all the more intriguing.

3rdman

lowrider007 said:
wow a "disaster", a "failure" ?, I'm sorry mate but those words don't mix with the GT5 or the GT franchise imo, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree otherwise it'll just become a circular argument bogging this thread down.
I think you may confusing your love of the game with its performance at retail.

Vinci

Danish
lowrider007 said:
wow a "disaster", a "failure" ?, I'm sorry mate but those words don't mix with the GT5 or the GT franchise imo, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree otherwise it'll just become a circular argument bogging this thread down.

By any measurement, GT5 did not perform to expectations. All hyperbole aside, could you at least agree with that? I agree others are exaggerating the extent of its drop, but it has definitely had a drop in prominence according to this turnout.

Kenka

Please remove the Just Dance 2 numbers, I fucked up.

As user_nat said, the game is on 5 plateforms and not only 2. Taking CoD numbers as a basis would make sense only if one version sold more than 50%. The calculation is flawed.

Tron 2.0

Road said:
Yes, people are not buying PS3 because of Kevin Butler ads...
Well it certainly doesn't appear to be helping them sell more consoles...which is the whole point of an ad campaign.

Although I guess you could argue that the sales would be worse if there was no Kevin Butler?

Top Bottom