• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2014 [Up2: Nintendo Sales Notes]

Just Dance is fucking hilarious.

It's funny, but I suppose expected, that it sold best on Wii. But even the Wii U version outsold Xbone and PS4!

Guevara

Sony: PS4 was the top-selling console of 2014 worldwide

Sony may have lost the console sales race to Microsoft’s Xbox One in November and December, but it won the year as a whole.

Sony confirmed that the PlayStation 4 was the best-selling gaming console worldwide in 2014, and it is continuing on a sales pace that is faster than any previous PlayStation system ever. Globally, the console-gaming market generates around $50 billion in spending, which is why it is so important to both Sony and Microsoft.

“PlayStation 4 was the top-selling console in the U.S. and globally in 2014,” a Sony Computer Entertainment America spokesperson told GamesBeat. “And [it is] the fastest selling console in PlayStation history with 18.5 million sold through after just 14 months in the market. We are humbled by this success and want to thank gamers worldwide for helping us achieve holiday sales of more than 4.1 million across 123 countries and regions. We are looking forward to another momentous year in 2015 and bringing an epic line up of titles to PlayStation fans around the world.”​

http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/15/sony-ps4-was-the-top-selling-console-of-2014-worldwide/

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
The air hung heavy over the room. The lonely cry of a bald eagle in the distance penetrated the deep silence. The NPDs were out and they were bad. Nothing more needed to be said, as everyone in the room was contemplating the bleak future ahead. The system architect had had enough. In a sudden lurch, he stormed out of the room and through the corridors. The walls that were towering above him were as the walls of his own personal prison. The hurried pace of his long, elegant steps drew the attention of everyone he passed, but they knew better than to disturb him. Eventually he reached the hidden away recluse that he shared sometimes with Shu. Their closeness was a well-known secret, but everyone kept quiet about it, out of respect. The discarded wrappers of a hurried McDonald's dinner lay strewn across the room. In his rage, Mark tore them into pieces. Just as he was rummaging his pockets for his lighter, Shu came into the room.

"Hey, Mark, calm down. This is not the end of the world", said Shu.

"That's easy for you to say", Mark snapped back. "It is not your creation that failed, that is the laughing stock of all of gaming. But it is not only I who have failed. Not only Sony. But our glorious country lost Today. We are not what we were. We have stagnated. Become a country of old men and dashed ambitions. Today, Japan was beaten by the agile America. Her free market made a country of winners, ambition and superior technology. Today not only signals the end of Sonym but the end of the hopes and dreams of our entire nation."

Shu tried to placate him with a gentle kiss on the neck.

"Come on, it's not over ye-"

"Shut up! You are just in denial. Who cares about pre-season. We lost the big one! We could possibly have afforded to lose this month, but we lost China, our final hope, this month as well. We allowed the gaijins to get China all to themselves. If even 1% of their population buys that dirty product, that's 13 million units sold." Now his voice was rising in a towering crescendo. "There is no way we could recover from that. It is over. All our hard work. All the lies we told about our hardware before launch. All the money we paid to Bish to spread the gospel. It was all for nothing. Well, I have had enough. It ends Today!" he shouted

But the following silence rang almost as loud.

"W-what do you mean?"

Silently, Mark walked over to the rack near the wall, where he kept his katana collection. He picked up a wakisashi.

"Please, Mark, reconsider" Shu begged him. I will draw up a nice warm bath for us. You don't have to do this.

"But I do. I have failed us all. I have failed our country. I have failed the Emperor. I have brought eternal shame upon my ancestors. My honour is gone. I have no option but to end it all. Here and now, according to the traditions of our ancestors."

"Mark, don't be silly. No one does that these days. You were not even born here.

"Shu, I love you", Mark said, and plunged the blade into his gut.

He could feel pain spreading from his stomach. And up his spine and down his legs and up his neck. But there was something else there as well. Welling up inside him growing stronger every moment. And he started imagining things. He could smell the invigorating scent of hamburgers sizzling in a skillet. The feeling of a gun in his hand. And the sensation growing inside him was growing every stronger. In his minds eye he could see broad stripes and bright stars o'er the ramparts so gallantly streaming. He was vaguely aware of Shu shouting. No? That was not Shu. It was someone far more studly. Phil's chiseled pecs were gently brushing against his shoulder as sweet words were whispered in his ears, about content and experiences, and the infinite power of the cloud. And the sensation inside him was now a roaring storm, welling up ever more vigorous in his loins, drowning out the world with its all-encompassing whiteness.

In a basement at the other end of the world, Hindle woke up in his bed, feeling flustered.

eddie1.gif

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Both Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire dropped from the Top 10, though the NPD Group notes that each would have made the list when ranked on a per-SKU basis.

Hmmm... Can we have a post about the above in Candy bar form or Pokemon vids?

I mean, there are over 720 Pokemon

I wonder, and I'm genuinely curious, how many people who are now buying xbones and games for them are jumping ship from the PS4? This is entirely subjective, but myself and two other friends started the gen on the PS4 hype train and ended up moving back to MS for familiarity (Halo being my number one reason). I haven't turned my PS4 on since I got pvz for free.

But Gratz to MS for keeping it for two months consecutive.

Jomjom

Banned
Hmmm.. also interesting that on the annual software chart pretty much anything that's FPS sold better on XBO while anything not sold better on PS4.

Amused

Sony may have lost the console sales race to Microsoft’s Xbox One in November and December, but it won the year as a whole.

Sony confirmed that the PlayStation 4 was the best-selling gaming console worldwide in 2014, and it is continuing on a sales pace that is faster than any previous PlayStation system ever. Globally, the console-gaming market generates around $50 billion in spending, which is why it is so important to both Sony and Microsoft.

“PlayStation 4 was the top-selling console in the U.S. and globally in 2014,” a Sony Computer Entertainment America spokesperson told GamesBeat. “And [it is] the fastest selling console in PlayStation history with 18.5 million sold through after just 14 months in the market. We are humbled by this success and want to thank gamers worldwide for helping us achieve holiday sales of more than 4.1 million across 123 countries and regions. We are looking forward to another momentous year in 2015 and bringing an epic line up of titles to PlayStation fans around the world.”​

http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/15/sony-ps4-was-the-top-selling-console-of-2014-worldwide/

Losing a few battles, winning the war.

Chobel

That was boring PR.

dmr87

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
you act like BloodBorn and The Order are not with-in spitting distance....and that number will stay the same

Honestly I'd expect things like Mortal Kombat to move more hardware than those for both the systems.

Third parties tend to be huge sales drivers and the people who love more niche first party games to death are usually first on the boat.

wii u doesn't have a problem with 1st-party software.

the nintendo brand remains strong.

the problem is the wii u ecosystem.

While this is true, I'm surprised that the size of the userbase isn't holding Nintendo back.

I mean, for goodness sakes, Smash Bros outsold Watch Dogs.

Both Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire dropped from the Top 10, though the NPD Group notes that each would have made the list when ranked on a per-SKU basis.

It is so stupid that Pokémon's SKUs don't get bundled together. Bet the combined totals would have been very comfortably within the Top Ten.

Kathian

Banned
The air hung heavy over the room. The lonely cry of a bald eagle in the distance penetrated the deep silence. The NPDs were out and they were bad. Nothing more needed to be said, as everyone in the room was contemplating the bleak future ahead. The system architect had had enough. In a sudden lurch, he stormed out of the room and through the corridors. The walls that were towering above him were as the walls of his own personal prison. The hurried pace of his long, elegant steps drew the attention of everyone he passed, but they knew better than to disturb him. Eventually he reached the hidden away recluse that he shared sometimes with Shu. Their closeness was a well-known secret, but everyone kept quiet about it, out of respect. The discarded wrappers of a hurried McDonald's dinner lay strewn across the room. In his rage, Mark tore them into pieces. Just as he was rummaging his pockets for his lighter, Shu came into the room.

"Hey, Mark, calm down. This is not the end of the world", said Shu.

"That's easy for you to say", Mark snapped back. "It is not your creation that failed, that is the laughing stock of all of gaming. But it is not only I who have failed. Not only Sony. But our glorious country lost Today. We are not what we were. We have stagnated. Become a country of old men and dashed ambitions. Today, Japan was beaten by the agile America. Her free market made a country of winners, ambition and superior technology. Today not only signals the end of Sonym but the end of the hopes and dreams of our entire nation."

Shu tried to placate him with a gentle kiss on the neck.

"Come on, it's not over ye-"

"Shut up! You are just in denial. Who cares about pre-season. We lost the big one! We could possibly have afforded to lose this month, but we lost China, our final hope, this month as well. We allowed the gaijins to get China all to themselves. If even 1% of their population buys that dirty product, that's 13 million units sold." Now his voice was rising in a towering crescendo. "There is no way we could recover from that. It is over. All our hard work. All the lies we told about our hardware before launch. All the money we paid to Bish to spread the gospel. It was all for nothing. Well, I have had enough. It ends Today!" he shouted

But the following silence rang almost as loud.

"W-what do you mean?"

Silently, Mark walked over to the rack near the wall, where he kept his katana collection. He picked up a wakisashi.

"Please, Mark, reconsider" Shu begged him. I will draw up a nice warm bath for us. You don't have to do this.

"But I do. I have failed us all. I have failed our country. I have failed the Emperor. I have brought eternal shame upon my ancestors. My honour is gone. I have no option but to end it all. Here and now, according to the traditions of our ancestors."

"Mark, don't be silly. No one does that these days. You were not even born here.

"Shu, I love you", Mark said, and plunged the blade into his gut.

He could feel pain spreading from his stomach. And up his spine and down his legs and up his neck. But there was something else there as well. Welling up inside him growing stronger every moment. And he started imagining things. He could smell the invigorating scent of hamburgers sizzling in a skillet. The feeling of a gun in his hand. And the sensation growing inside him was growing every stronger. In his minds eye he could see broad stripes and bright stars o'er the ramparts so gallantly streaming. He was vaguely aware of Shu shouting. No? That was not Shu. It was someone far more studly. Phil's chiseled pecs were gently brushing against his shoulder as sweet words were whispered in his ears, about content and experiences, and the infinite power of the cloud. And the sensation inside him was now a roaring storm, welling up ever more vigorous in his loins, drowning out the world with its all-encompassing whiteness.

In a basement at the other end of the world, Hindle woke up in his bed, feeling flustered.

Well someone was confident about this months results.

Why don't you just wait instead of relying on inaccurate numbers .

They aren't inaccurate numbers. This isn't c-boat tales from his ass on numbers. This is math taken from NPD statements. Difference is 200k according to Queso and it goes along with what we know.

Hmmm.. also interesting that on the annual software chart pretty much anything that's FPS sold better on XBO while anything not sold better on PS4.

Well, isn't it common knowledge that Xbox has always been the choice for dudebros while Playstation has been for the "geeks".

Miles X

So I wonder how MS will plan to stay toe to toe with PS4 for the first 6 months of the year

Last year they sold

PS4: 1.576m
XB1: 1.099m

Nearly a 500k advantage for PS4. XB1 doesn't have the benefit of Titanfall this year (and has no exclusive to fill the gap) but it is $349 vs $499 and doesn't have all that bad press weighing it down anymore.

PS4 has Order and Bloodborne vs Infamous.

IMO they're gonna need to do some slick bundles (Evolve and Witcher) and advertise them.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Why are people still persisting with this "Sony needs to drop the price" narrative?

No they fucking don't. At all. Just because MS has slightly eaten into their lead in the US, while they continue to hugely outsell them everywhere else in the world?

I mean, Sony is in a fantastic position right now to make real bank. Like make actual money. They should milk that opportunity for what iot's worth rather than worrying about a dick measuring contest that they're already winning.

Good lord. Maybe it's people with that line of thinking that got Sony to where they are before Kaz had to be promoted to try and fix it all.

Man I hope this gets Sony to drop the price of the PS4, Still haven't gotten one and I NEED one by Bloodborne (or I will have the game and no console :( )

Ethelwulf

As if there's a huge disparity between Xbox owners buying digitally and PS4 owners.

Not sure what you meant. We can't tell. Sony pushed digital pre-downloads faster (am I wrong?) and opt for integrating a larger digital library first. It might very well be the case that a retail game that sold better on XBO actually sold better at Sony's PS store.

Decent PR from both for once. I would congratulate Microsoft but they don't deserve it, they were pretty much giving those fuckers away.

Well, they said that it's not a permanent price drop so it could go back up any day. So for the time being it's a temporary thing.

We all know it's not temporary. The nosedive in sales in the past couple weeks is almost certainly what brought it back now.

There's not a snowball's chance in hell MS raises the price back to 399, unless they make that a Kinect Bundle and phase out Kinectless again.

Jomjom

Banned

Hmmm... but Aaron Greenberg told me that the preseason doesn't count.

BokehKing

Banned
I also thinkmicrosoft may have more xbox one physical sales...
but PS4...and the speed of which games download, and the dramatic difference in time you have to wait before actually getting to play the game.....is where the digital sales are at

Xbox One = Physical Media
PS4-Digital

Top Bottom