• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2014 [Up2: Nintendo Sales Notes]

Xyrmellon

I swear, there should be a rule about posting numbers early on in these threads. This is the second month in a row something gets posted in the first five pages and everyone runs with it with no basis in fact. The funny thing is the number everyone is throwing around is not even in reference to X1-PS4 sales.

RedAssedApe

Banned
people seem to be ignoring the second software list when looking at software sales:

- Xbone consoles sold more during the holidays
- Xbone sold more copies of various multi-platform games in Dec according to list
- PS4 has slightly higher install base
- PS4 sold more copies of most of these games overall according to Annual 2014 Top 10 Games

So...ummm...what part of this is mind blowing to people? :)

HTupolev

Software sales with XB1>PS4 is interesting, although probably explained by people getting software when they get hardware.

Sony lost a good opportunity to sell well in the holidays. The XBone is murdering it (or at least did so in the most important time of the year).
If Sony's crying about being "murdered" due to their moderately smaller number, they're wiping their tears away with the stacks of hundred-dollar bills they just earned selling boatloads of basic-SKU consoles at a $400 price point.

Sony could use capital right now, and it's not like the last two months killed their branding.

Havel

I am congratulating a company for selling a fixed amount of video game consoles in the space of 4 weeks.

Am I doing this right? I've never done this before.

Miles X

Both consoles are reported to have sold 2.33 mil combined and we know the XB1 did around 1.2m, so that's were the 100k difference is coming from. It looks like the PS4 did around 1.1m.

Nah, it's all very rough, XB1 can easily be 1.3m based on how far out the % is and all the data involved. That and it's a 200k gap (has been posted about fifty times now.)

Expected Xbox would sell more in December. I think it will in January as well.

By the end of this gen, I expect the XBOne to have a lead of a few million on the PS4 in the US, which would be a far cry from the huge lead the 360 had over the PS3 in the US. The PS4 will most likely continue to trounce the XBOne worldwide though.

Both consoles are reported to have sold 2.33 mil combined and we know the XB1 did around 1.2m, so that's were the 100k difference is coming from. It looks like the PS4 did around 1.1m.

If those estimates are true, Sony is doing really well given MS basically broke the bank this past holiday season, and the impact in december was already much less than that in November.

nullpoynter

A larger install base that already bought those games last month?

Exactly what I was thinking too. With the price cut of the Xbox, you can only assume all those new owners were getting games for their new system. I'm sure a lot of PS4 owners already bought those games. Either way, it sucks the numbers don't include bundled games. Either way, congrats to Microsoft.

Seeing a lot of these posts. Did you guys not look at the 2014 game sales charts where the PS4 led the XBO in every game but COD, Minecraft and Destiny (which was influenced by the PS4 Destiny bundle).

Uh... yeah, that's exactly why I'm surprised, because now XB is leading every game on the list except for Far Cry 4

PhatSaqs

Banned
people seem to be ignoring the second software list:

Annual 2014 Top 10 Games

- Xbone sold more copies of various multi-platform games in Dec
- PS4 sold more copies of most of these games overall

I think some people are just genuinely surprised that "Xbone" is competing at all lol.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Nah, it's all very rough, XB1 can easily be 1.3m based on how far out the % is and all the data involved. That and it's a 200k gap (has been posted about fifty times now.)

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just explaining why people are talking about a 100k difference.

Loudninja

people seem to be ignoring the second software list when looking at software sales:

Annual 2014 Top 10 Games

- Xbone sold more copies of various multi-platform games in Dec according to list
- PS4 sold more copies of most of these games overall according to annual list

Yeah I am confused by this.

I also thinkmicrosoft may have more xbox one physical sales...
but PS4...and the speed of which games download, and the dramatic difference in time you have to wait before actually getting to play the game.....is where the digital sales are at

Xbox One = Physical Media
PS4-Digital

Wait, what?

I know PS4 games install faster, but they download faster? That seems...odd?

We all know it's not temporary. The nosedive in sales in the past couple weeks is almost certainly what brought it back now.

There's not a snowball's chance in hell MS raises the price back to 399, unless they make that a Kinect Bundle and phase out Kinectless again.

They will raise it back up to 399 for one random week, and then drop it again for another promotion. :p

I hope some day we get charts including digital sales.

I mean almost all of the PC market isn't in this list.

But I don't think publishers or Valve for exanple will hand out data.

jmaine_ph

- PS4 sold more copies of most of these games overall according to Annual 2014 Top 10 Games

THIS AND THAT!

The air hung heavy over the room. The lonely cry of a bald eagle in the distance penetrated the deep silence. The NPDs were out and they were bad. Nothing more needed to be said, as everyone in the room was contemplating the bleak future ahead. The system architect had had enough. In a sudden lurch, he stormed out of the room and through the corridors. The walls that were towering above him were as the walls of his own personal prison. The hurried pace of his long, elegant steps drew the attention of everyone he passed, but they knew better than to disturb him. Eventually he reached the hidden away recluse that he shared sometimes with Shu. Their closeness was a well-known secret, but everyone kept quiet about it, out of respect. The discarded wrappers of a hurried McDonald's dinner lay strewn across the room. In his rage, Mark tore them into pieces. Just as he was rummaging his pockets for his lighter, Shu came into the room.

"Hey, Mark, calm down. This is not the end of the world", said Shu.

"That's easy for you to say", Mark snapped back. "It is not your creation that failed, that is the laughing stock of all of gaming. But it is not only I who have failed. Not only Sony. But our glorious country lost Today. We are not what we were. We have stagnated. Become a country of old men and dashed ambitions. Today, Japan was beaten by the agile America. Her free market made a country of winners, ambition and superior technology. Today not only signals the end of Sonym but the end of the hopes and dreams of our entire nation."

Shu tried to placate him with a gentle kiss on the neck.

"Come on, it's not over ye-"

"Shut up! You are just in denial. Who cares about pre-season. We lost the big one! We could possibly have afforded to lose this month, but we lost China, our final hope, this month as well. We allowed the gaijins to get China all to themselves. If even 1% of their population buys that dirty product, that's 13 million units sold." Now his voice was rising in a towering crescendo. "There is no way we could recover from that. It is over. All our hard work. All the lies we told about our hardware before launch. All the money we paid to Bish to spread the gospel. It was all for nothing. Well, I have had enough. It ends Today!" he shouted

But the following silence rang almost as loud.

"W-what do you mean?"

Silently, Mark walked over to the rack near the wall, where he kept his katana collection. He picked up a wakisashi.

"Please, Mark, reconsider" Shu begged him. I will draw up a nice warm bath for us. You don't have to do this.

"But I do. I have failed us all. I have failed our country. I have failed the Emperor. I have brought eternal shame upon my ancestors. My honour is gone. I have no option but to end it all. Here and now, according to the traditions of our ancestors."

"Mark, don't be silly. No one does that these days. You were not even born here.

"Shu, I love you", Mark said, and plunged the blade into his gut.

He could feel pain spreading from his stomach. And up his spine and down his legs and up his neck. But there was something else there as well. Welling up inside him growing stronger every moment. And he started imagining things. He could smell the invigorating scent of hamburgers sizzling in a skillet. The feeling of a gun in his hand. And the sensation growing inside him was growing every stronger. In his minds eye he could see broad stripes and bright stars o'er the ramparts so gallantly streaming. He was vaguely aware of Shu shouting. No? That was not Shu. It was someone far more studly. Phil's chiseled pecs were gently brushing against his shoulder as sweet words were whispered in his ears, about content and experiences, and the infinite power of the cloud. And the sensation inside him was now a roaring storm, welling up ever more vigorous in his loins, drowning out the world with its all-encompassing whiteness.

In a basement at the other end of the world, Hindle woke up in his bed, feeling flustered.

Hey that was very good lmao need more of these

Anyone yelling how Sony neeneeds to drop the price needs to look at worldwide sales as to why they wont
They don't need to look beyond NPD really.

The holiday numbers have been healthy. They're selling software at a good click. They're selling subscriptions.

It doesn't matter much if the Xbox One has been even better.

Dizzy

Banned
Interesting to see xbox doing so-so in most of the world but absolutely adored in the U.S.

You'd think with the consoles being so similar things would be more even.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
138991395288zqojr.jpg

8Ft9s5p.jpg

eesh

Top Bottom