• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

Fallen it has. But it is still a juggernaut, nobody else comes close. This is a gen of multiplatforms, exclusives don't matter anymore.

Exclusives will always matter but they are just not as big as people think .
It's the big boys exclusives that help push consoles and the smaller ones that make the console catalog look better .
Also it always great the look for the next break out IP .

Fallen it has. But it is still a juggernaut, nobody else comes close. This is a gen of multiplatforms, exclusives don't matter anymore.

It really is not a juggernaught any more. Its launch is a third of the previous game and half of super smash bros brawl. It launxhed to less sales than Titan Fall. 1 million for Halo is thoroughly mediocre. It probably will not end up the best selling exclusive of the gen in NA. At the currrent rate its going it may not even pass 3 million without bundling. (Maybe this one is out there but the game is massively underperforming, its going to sell less than WiiU titles)

ethomaz

Banned
I see a point or two reduction as pretty typical, but I think you have to look at the means and medians and not the top 10 games (which are like....almost all ports?).
MGS did almost the same (93 vs 94).
Bloodborne is the best rated From Software.
The Witcher 3 did amazing too.

I only focused in PS4 but Super Mario 3D World did 93 too.

Well I just see the review scale fine.

But half this list are ports. If you take them out the highest will be MGS V at 93.

At this point last gen we already had GTA IV and Mario Galaxy at 98, Bioshock at 96 and LBP at 95.
We don't have games on the scope/size or quality of GTAIV, Galaxy, Bioshock or LBP yet.

Like I said there are a noticeable drop in quality and size of the games (low content)... and this gen is being remarkable by tons of bugs too.

When a game have the quality/size of old games it gets great scores (BB, TW3, MGS, SM3DW).

RexNovis

Banned
Except Splatoon.

fmbDSzg.jpg

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
We don't have games on the scope/size or quality of GTAIV, Galaxy, Bioshock or LBP yet.

Like I said there are a noticeable drop in quality and size of the games (low content)... and this gen is being remarkable by tons of bugs too.

When a game have the quality/size of old games it gets great scores (BB, TW3, MGS, SM3DW).

I'm more in line with Kev that this gen the scores dropped a little. And to be sincere and don't rate GTA V and LBP nowhere near their MC scores. I don't agree that we had a drop in the quality and size of the games.

Maybe as i'm happier with this gen offerings until now, I consider this specific games scores overblown.

ethomaz

Banned
Doesn't that only apply to people who don't already have a system? I know $299 was an attractive pricepoint, but enough that people will buy another system to play the game?
I will talk most about the Uncharted Collection... it is a collection focused in new PS4 buyers that didn't have a PS3 last gen.

Most PS4 buyers that are ex-PS3 users didn't care about it.

The bundle main purpose is to make non-PS3 users buy a PS4 and get into the Uncharted series before Uncharted 4 launch... it was a genius move from Sony.

zsynqx

About Uncharted vs Quantum Break I found something interesting...

Amazon 2016 Best Sellers

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2016/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar

#8 Uncharted

Quantum Break is out of the TOP100.

For other upcoming games which have release dates

#8 PS4 Uncharted 4 (April 26, 2016)

#10 PS4 Division (March 8, 2016)

#37 PS4 Dark Souls (April 12, 2016)

#73 PS4 Ratchet and Clank (April 12, 2016)

#86 XB1 Division (March 8, 2016)

#88 Wii U Starfox (April 22, 2016)

As others said before, the Division may be slightly higher with the pre-order to access beta thing.

Edit:

#9 Wii U The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (March 4, 2016)

#44 PS4 Gravity Rush Remastered (February 2,2016)

Thanks onQ123

I hope Dreams doesn't bomb as well, but I get the vibe that won't be a very big seller. Hope I'm wrong though
They need to show the game, a main character going through levels at a show. Then show youtube and twitch videos weekly creating things or levels. Their marketing has been very poor, but I disagree that it will do bad. They just need to get people on board, confusion is not something you want.

They need to show the game, a main character going through levels at a show. Then show youtube and twitch videos weekly creating things or levels. Their marketing has been very poor, but I disagree that it will do bad. They just need to get people on board, confusion is not something you want.
Agree, from their marketing/communication it seems like this title is still years away.

ethomaz

Banned
Because they know that Uncharted sucks while there are 70% of PS4 owners that don't know that yet.

Those sneaky bastards!
I didn't say that... I love Uncharted and I won't buy the Collection because I already played it on PS3... that is what I said.

I'm all about Uncharted 4.

I just read over the last few pages.

Isn't Ratchet and Clank a pretty big seller? I don't know how this will translate to PS4 but the series itself has sold a lot.

UC4 will be critically successful. I am just interested in seeing if it can match or surpass Bloodborne.

NotMyPsn

Banned
do software sales take into account digital ? I'm surprised by some xbox games. I mean, more battlefront sales but if you look at battlefront stats, the player base is half of the ps4.

onQ123

For other upcoming games which have release dates

#8 PS4 Uncharted 4 (April 26, 2016)

#10 PS4 Division (March 8, 2016)

#37 PS4 Dark Souls (April 12, 2016)

#73 PS4 Ratchet and Clank (April 12, 2016)

#86 XB1 Division (March 8, 2016)

#88 Wii U Starfox (April 22, 2016)

As others said before, the Division may be slightly higher with the pre-order to access beta thing.

#9 Wii U The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (March 4, 2016)

#44 PS4 Gravity Rush Remastered (February 2,2016)

I just read over the last few pages.

Isn't Ratchet and Clank a pretty big seller? I don't know how this will translate to PS4 but the series itself has sold a lot.

UC4 will be critically successful. I am just interested in seeing if it can match or surpass Bloodborne.

UC will past BB in the first week maybe the first day in US.
If we talking WW BB is no match what so ever .

do software sales take into account digital ? I'm surprised by some xbox games. I mean, more battlefront sales but if you look at battlefront stats, the player base is half of the ps4.

No we only get physical sales in this thread and they don't take in account bundles .
But we getting some info on that now .

With bundles PS4 version sold more not to mention that those Battlefront network stats are global. PS4 version is crushing Xbox One version outside of US and UK.

There is nothing in sight to distract MS marketing from Quantum Break at the moment (okay, except The Division), so it would be logical that they concentrate on QB.

Yo, you guys talking review scores? I got some stuff on that. Packaged games only, below.

Through September, haven't yet updated for Q4 but will soon.

98jxpYS.jpg

- Fewer games this gen
- Higher scores are more frequent this gen than last

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yo, you guys talking review scores? I got some stuff on that. Packaged games only, below.

98jxpYS.jpg

- Fewer games this gen

Does this adjust for last gen ports? There is a sample bias (only good last gen games get ported).

- Fewer games this gen
Thank you, that's interesting and goes against some theories I guess.

What's your diagnosis?

Higher risc for retail releases and therefore better selection and more care in development/concept? (dumb games going digital only)
Or, just slightly different, playing it safe and giving critics and the masses only what they want?

Does this adjust for last gen ports? There is a sample bias (only good last gen games get ported).
fair

Has more to do with the shovelware on last gen not getting funded and made this gen.

12 fewer games on Sony, 50 fewer games on MS this gen versus last. Of those 62 fewer games, 59 of those are at review scores 69 and under.

But no has not been adjusted for last gen ports, the last gen ports are included.

Higher risc for retail releases and therefore better selection and more care in development/concept? (dumb games going digital only)
Or, just slightly different, playing it safe and giving critics and the masses only what they want?

Publisher count has been cut in half since last gen. Many of these publishers that are now gone were chasing the quick and easy dollar with garbage. A good number of these folks have either gone away or moved to mobile in the time since.

ethomaz

Banned

98jxpYS.jpg

- Fewer games this gen
Interesting.

I found people saying the review score this gen get lower was just because some games are getting lower scores but if your read the reviews you will see these game have a lot of flaws that put it below what you expected.

Edit - To be fair I did have the opinion the quality dropped this gen but your graphs shows the opposite ;)

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

"Fallen it has". - Yep. Agreed.

"Nobody comes close". - I'd re-think that.

"Exclusives don't matter anymore". - Negative. They matter very much, even in the "gen of multiplatforms." Otherwise, what would be the point of multiple machines?

Edit - To be fair I did have the opinion the quality dropped this gen but your graphs shows the opposite ;)

I should have Q4 aggregated by the end of the week and will post an update including the full data set in case people want to do their own thing picking and choosing titles.

Top Bottom