• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

It will be interesting to see if Uncharted 4 can maintain the sort of success that UC3/LoU enjoyed, or whether that franchise too will see a decline. Things certainly have't been pretty for games like Gran Turismo, Halo, Tomb Raider, Little Big Planet, even Forza. Then again, unless I'm mistaken, games like Shadowfall and InFamous Second Son actually saw notable franchise growth in terms of sales.

At least hype is through the roof and we haven't seen any negative articles from press, it's all praise praise.

Uncharted 4 should be up on UC3's 700k debut imo barring a majority negative reviews.

People are frothing at the mouth for that game.
I think close to a million for April NPD is doable.

AniHawk

It will sell over a million.

maybe worldwide if there's an audience in europe i'm unaware of. i know the movie will push things, and the game being out this early on the ps4 is a big help too. i think it has basically no shot at a million in the us though. nothing in the series has done that in over a decade.

mo60

It will be interesting to see if Uncharted 4 can maintain the sort of success that UC3/LoU enjoyed, or whether that franchise too will see a decline. Things certainly have't been pretty for games like Gran Turismo, Halo, Tomb Raider, Little Big Planet, even Forza. Then again, unless I'm mistaken, games like Shadowfall and InFamous Second Son actually saw notable franchise growth in terms of sales.

Didn't shadowfall sell worse than killzone 2 and 3? I know it's online community was literally dead in like a few months. Last time we heard anything about that game's ltd was around 2.1 million, but we don't really have anything recent ltd wise about it and I don't think it sold to well after that 2.1 million number was revealed. Uncharted 4 will be the trickiest game to predict review wise this year because it could score anywhere from the mid 80's to mid 90's because it's dependent on how much that game meets the hype it has right now , but I do think it will sell well. How much it sells will depend on how well it reviews and if it meets the hype it has right now.

I really can't wait to see what they will pull out for marketing Uncharted 4.
It's their biggest release. I think we are out for a ride here.

i think it'll do 1m+ day one, if not week one.

Ooomph 1m in a day is a bolder prediction than I would ever make haha.

I'm down with it doing that in a week if it gets a 90+ metascore and an insane SCEA marketing blitz to boot.

Didn't shadowfall sell worse than killzone 2 and 3? I know it's online community was literally dead in like a few months. Last time we heard anything about that game's ltd was around 2.1 million, but we don't really have anything recent ltd wise about it and I don't think it sold to well after that 2.1 million number was revealed.

KZ SF is a massive sales success.
It reached the 2 million milestone in January 2014, let that sink in.

I think it may even be the highest selling Killzone or at least not far off from KZ2.

RexNovis

Banned
No way Splatoon Sell less than Mario Kart 8 Second year.
Ignore Launch, and since that Splatoon ALWAYS Sold better than Kart.
Before Welfare Say "is happen only The second quarter" don't worry is happen even last quarter, we easy know This Thanks Media Create, NPD, and Nintendo numbers.
Splatoon Sold Over 500k This quarter only in Japan.
Do You really believe it will ship less than 1.28m WW?

Y'all have awoken the squid. Lectures inkoming.

Amused

Do we know how many MAUs PS3 had at the time of U3s release, and how many MAUS the PS4 has today?

Feels like the Sony has expanded it's "hardcore gamer" audience with the PS4 (bringing a lot of 360-gamers into its fold), and I expect U4 to do relatively better than U3 based on that alone.

But my feelings aren't really much to go on here...

How is the attach rate on the PS4 compared to the PS3?

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Y'all have awoken the squid. Lectures inkoming.

2408132-kraken_by_neo_br.jpg

mo60

Ooomph 1m in a day is a bolder prediction than I would ever make haha.

I'm down with it doing that in a week if it gets a 90+ metascore and an insane SCEA marketing blitz to boot.

KZ SF is a massive sales success.
It reached the 2 million milestone in January 2014, let that sink in.

I think it may even be the highest selling Killzone or at least not far off from KZ2.

Yeah. I did say it did reach 2.1 million.I think it's close to killzone 2 including digital, but I don't think it beat it because it's legs probably were not strong enough in 2014 and 2015 to make it beat killzone 2's ltd because of the mixed and maybe a bit negative reception surrounding that game.

AniHawk

In the US? Bruh.

it's part of an established franchise, and the sony fanbase has only become more aware of naughty dog as a brand name since 2009. the last of us sold 1.3 million units in a week and with this being the last naughty dog uncharted, it'll go out with a huge marketing blitz.

the only way this doesn't happen is if the game gets some mixed reviews.

Yeah. I did say it did reach 2.1 million.I think it's close to killzone 2 including digital, but I don't think it beat it because it's legs probably were not strong enough in 2014 and 2015 to make it beat killzone 2's ltd because of the mixed and maybe a bit negative reception surrounding that game.

I'd definitely agree with you on the legs aspect.
I wasn't on Gaf around KZ2 but the media talk and word of mouth especially was very good.

Man now I miss KZ2 MP, it was my favourite shooter of the PS3 era.

I'm confident this is the game that "defines" PS4 this gen, or maybe even the whole gen.

After Bloodborne I think it's on track to be the next highly critically acclaimed PS4 exclusive.
Got faith in Naughty Dog to pull it off.

RexNovis

Banned
I think uncharted 4 will be the lowest rated entry in the series. Too much craziness going on during development + multiple delays + heavy emphasis on multiplayer complete with Microtransactions does not a confident Rex make. I'm also not digging the idea of Nathan all the sudden having a brother we have somehow never heard about before. Hell uncharted 3 certainly made it seem he was a loner with no family until he met Sully so it's almost like it goes against the grain of previous games. Anyway, its just a gut feeling I've had for a couple months now. I could be wrong of course but I can't deny I'm extremely apprehensive about it.

Unleash the kraken!

Hahaha! Perfection.

stryke

it's part of an established franchise, and the sony fanbase has only become more aware of naughty dog as a brand name since 2009. the last of us sold 1.3 million units in a week and with this being the last naughty dog uncharted, it'll go out with a huge marketing blitz.

the only way this doesn't happen is if the game gets some mixed reviews.

What? TLOU didn't even get past 1 million in debut month.

I think uncharted 4 will be the lowest rated entry in the series. Too much craziness going on during development + multiple delays + heavy emphasis on multiplayer complete with Microtransactions does not a confident Rex make. Just a gut feeling I've had for a couple months now. I could be wrong of course but I can't deny I'm extremely apprehensive about it.

Hmm would you say it's been Hardlined ;)

To be honest I don't get your multiplayer qualms?
ND titles all now have a big emphasis on multiplayer, exhibited by the success of MP in their new IP i.e. TLoU, so this is nothing new.

For all we know the change in development from Amy Hennig could result in a higher quality product as she was maybe going down a more "rehashed" route.
I think the game actually has everything going for it.

RexNovis

Banned
Hmm would you say it's been Hardlined ;)

To be honest I don't get your multiplayer qualms?
ND titles all now have a big emphasis on multiplayer, exhibited by the success of MP in their new IP i.e. TLoU, so this is nothing new.

For all we know the change in development from Amy Hennig could result in a higher quality product as she was maybe going down a more "rehashed" route.
I think the game actually has everything going for it.

The Microtransactions for the MP seem especially egregious this time around. I don't know I just can't shake the feeling that it'll be a really awkward end product as a whole. The delays and the development shift just foster a whole lot of trepidation on my end. I'd be happy to be wrong but I'll definitely be waiting to find out before I pick the game up. I don't know how else to explain it but a lot if what I've seen so far from the game just feels off to me for whatever reason.

Raylan

Banned
I think uncharted 4 will be the lowest rated entry in the series. Too much craziness going on during development + multiple delays....
God I can't wait to see the Amy Hennig defense force in the U4 review thread. Gonna be funny as hell. I'm already rolling my eyes.

The Microtransactions for the MP seem especially egregious this time around. I don't know I just can't shake the feeling that it'll be a really awkward end product as a whole. The delays and the development shift just foster a whole lot of trepidation on my end. I'd be happy to be wrong but I'll definitely be waiting to find out before I pick the game up. I don't know how else to explain it but a lot if what I've seen so far from the game just feels off to me for whatever reason.

I'm with you on microtransactions, those are my biggest worry with the game.

All the gameplay videos though have looked stellar imo and reception to them has been largely positive.
I played the UC4 beta and shooting+controls feel more refined than ever.

Trepidation is the best way forward with all AAA games these days though.
Hopefully Uncharted 4 doesn't shit the bed.

Saty

When you're a publicly held company like EA then you have to show growth to appease shareholders. Making those games doesn't grow the company like making Star Wars: Battlefront or the sports games do. The money they generate is basically a blip on the radar in terms of their overall balance sheet, and if they actually have to divert money/resources away from the big games to do it, then it just doesn't make sense for them to do so. Ubi can get away with it, I would argue, because they have so many employees/studios working on their big games that there's bound to be downtime when a group of people aren't working on a particular project (and the next iteration of a project hasn't gotten to them yet), so it makes sense to let them work on something else that could gain you notoriety/money in the meantime. Most (if not all) of EA's studios are working on specific games/series, so the time spent not working on the current installment can usually be used to work on the next big game/installment.

Well, EA are collaborating with an outside studio for Unravel and i just remembered they have that game from the creator of Two Brothers. The idea isn't to produce a blockbuster on the first try but to nurture would-be blockbusters in few years out. Find some combination of gameplay or mechanics that might be the heart of their next big IP. I mean, Mirror's Edge 1 and Dead Space 1 was sort-of like that but they had to be made, budgeted and marketed as a AAA $60 retail title. ARK and Rocket League selling 2M+ copies is comparable to what those EA games did. Why wouldn't EA be thrilled with making something new at $30 or below that goes on to sell that much with far better profitability? It's not that far from what they did with Garden Warfare which i believe was $40.

Kathian

Banned
I think U4 might be down a bit on U3s opening namely as I think theres some hints of first party getting squeezed but with PS4 where it is likely will outsell it in the long term and probably will have a better first year including bundles.

Internal or external small game dev teams will not make a huge splash on the overall results of big publishers like Ubi or EA, but if they are bringing at least a small profit/no big loss they are a useful add-on. It's this speedboat/tanker comparison

• You can test new mechanics and develop new IPs quickly, stressless and with reasonable budget/risc
  • You can attract promising indies to join your company as an independent unit
  • You have the chance for a surprise hit
  • You give yourself some indie glamour and gain sympathy/respect on customers, which has a good value for marketing and company reception
  • You gather fodder for sales and bundles
  • You could establish an in-house-sabbatical for artists/leads/technicians who are tired of AAA and want to do their own thing. Like this, you don't lose them, show some understanding and everyone is happy.

Overall, it's a nice thing.

Javin98

Banned
I think uncharted 4 will be the lowest rated entry in the series. Too much craziness going on during development + multiple delays + heavy emphasis on multiplayer complete with Microtransactions does not a confident Rex make. I'm also not digging the idea of Nathan all the sudden having a brother we have somehow never heard about before. Hell uncharted 3 certainly made it seem he was a loner with no family until he met Sully so it's almost like it goes against the grain of previous games. Anyway, its just a gut feeling I've had for a couple months now. I could be wrong of course but I can't deny I'm extremely apprehensive about it.
I don't know, man, everything we've seen from the game until now is top notch. Now unless there are some pretty broken sections gameplay wise or the pacing is horribly off, the latter which I highly doubt considering Bruce and Neil are working on this, the game should be received pretty damn well. I don't know if it can top Uncharted 2, but I have faith that ND will release an amazing game. If Uncharted 4 scores even lower than the first game, I will probably bring in truckloads of salt into the review thread. Then again, reviewers today put out some pretty questionable things.

zsynqx

Couldn't disagree more. With TLOU under their belt I would be shocked if this doesn't end up being the best Uncharted.

Also I'm pretty sure all the microtransactions are cosmetic? Feel free to prove me wrong.

Edit: and heavy emphasis on MP? We got two massive 15 minute SP demos before we saw any MP footage. They have separate teams for SP/MP as well so not sure how that would affect the campaign in any way.

Couldn't disagree more. With TLOU under their belt I would be shocked if this doesn't end up being the best Uncharted.

Also I'm pretty sure all the microtransactions are cosmetic? Feel free to prove me wrong.

As long as microtransactions stay out of the single player they can do what they want.

FelipeMGM

I never played one, but the MLB The Show games must be a huge thing for Sony in money terms. It cant be a very costly game and they release one every year, and considering Cream's numbers, the game might sell close to 1M worldwide including digital sales and all of the platforms.

No surprise they are giving Sony San Diego some freedom to work on new projects either internal or as a xdev

RexNovis

Banned
God I can't wait to see the Amy Hennig defense force in the U4 review thread. Gonna be funny as hell. I'm already rolling my eyes.

How on earth did you get "Amy Hennig defense force" out of my post? Outside of being a part of the aforementioned development difficulties, which were one of a number of things I mentioned, she had nothing to do with what I said. I didn't even mention her. But yea sure ok clearly the only reason someone might not be over the moon about Uncharted 4 is because they are Amy Hennig fan club members. That's gotta be it.

Is it really so hard to believe that someine just isnt buying the hype? Or that they might have reservations aside from some absurd defense force? FFS. I stated my my opinion and gave multiple reasons why I felt that way. How about we not play the "LOL dismiss the fanboy" game. People here know I have no vendetta against Sony or Naughty Dog but that doesn't change the way I feel about the game.

I don't know, man, everything we've seen from the game until now is top notch. Now unless there are some pretty broken sections gameplay wise or the pacing is horribly off, the latter which I highly doubt considering Bruce and Neil are working on this, the game should be received pretty damn well. I don't know if it can top Uncharted 2, but I have faith that ND will release an amazing game. If Uncharted 4 scores even lower than the first game, I will probably bring in truckloads of salt into the review thread. Then again, reviewers today put out some pretty questionable things.

Mechanically and graphically it certainly looks impressive but the buds and prices of the story we've seen so far have me a bit worried. Like I said something just feels off about the plot and honestly I'm not crazy at all about the idea of branching dialogue in Uncharted. It's just hit at all what I want out of the series.

I'm well aware I'm in the minority in my reaction though so it's cool I won't begrudge anyone their hype but I can't deny my own doubts either.

Edit: and heavy emphasis on MP? We got two massive 15 minute SP demos before we saw any MP footage. They have separate teams for SP/MP as well so not sure how that would affect the campaign in any way.

I'm pretty sure the Microtransactions will include multiplayer weapons. At least that's what I heard from an episode of Kyle Bosman's show. I mean it makes sense since that's what they had buy able weapons in TLOU multiplayer. Even if I'm mistaken I genuinely hate Microtransactions in general as I feel they only detract from my enjoyment of the game. If the best thing you can say about a part of a game is that "it could have been worse" or "at least it's not that bad" then the game would be better off without it IMO.

As far as my comment about emphasis on the multiplayer thee certainly seems to be a lot more investment into that side of things this time around which is fine but it's my what I enjoyed the Uncharted series for and I can't help but wish those resources were spent on the campaign instead. But as I said above I know I'm in the minority here and I understand many are excited about the multiplayer and that's great but I can't sit here and say I am as well because I'm just not feeling it.

I'm with you on microtransactions, those are my biggest worry with the game.

All the gameplay videos though have looked stellar imo and reception to them has been largely positive.
I played the UC4 beta and shooting+controls feel more refined than ever.

Trepidation is the best way forward with all AAA games these days though.
Hopefully Uncharted 4 doesn't shit the bed.

For sure most reactions have been overwhelmingly positive but for me personally there are a little things that make me a bit skeptical. So I'm going to play the wait and see game and find out whether my doubts were ill founded or not. At the same time I can't deny that I have them. I suppose I could just not comment on it at all but I felt compelled to respond when the topic came up.

That will make this not only the fastest selling but also best selling souls game correct?

There is no freaking way this game which is both a critical and commercial success will not get a sequel. This franchise is here to stay. Miyazaki's comment was on Souls and not Bloodborne. Worst case scenario would be some one else from From Soft directing the game which will be disappointing but still better than nothing. Sony did not just create a one off new IP.
i hope you're right. i can't find the thread right now but i'm pretty sure it was miyazaki saying souls and bloodborne

zsynqx

How on earth did you get "Amy Hennig defense force" out of my post? Outside of being a part of the aforementioned development difficulties, which were one of a number of things I mentioned, she had nothing to do with what I said. I didn't even mention her. But yea sure ok clearly the only reason someone might not be over the moon about Uncharted 4 is because they are Amy Hennig fan club members. That's gotta be it.

Is it really so hard to believe that someine just isnt buying the hype? Or that they might have reservations aside from some absurd defense force? FFS. I stated my my opinion and gave multiple reasons why I felt that way. How about we not play the "LOL dismiss the fanboy" game. People here know I have no vendetta against Sony or Naughty Dog but that doesn't change the way I feel about the game.

Mechanically and graphically it certainly looks impressive but the buds and prices of the story we've seen so far have me a bit worried. Like I said something just feels off about the plot and honestly I'm not crazy at all about the idea of branching dialogue in Uncharted. It's just hit at all what I want out of the series.

I'm well aware I'm in the minority in my reaction though so it's cool I won't begrudge anyone their hype but I can't deny my own doubts either.

I'm pretty sure the Microtransactions will include multiplayer weapons. At least that's what I heard from an episode of Kyle Bosman's show. I mean it makes sense since that's what they had buy able weapons in TLOU multiplayer. Even if I'm mistaken I genuinely hate Microtransactions in general as I feel they only detract from my enjoyment of the game. If the best thing you can say about a part of a game is that "it could have been worse" or "at least it's not that bad" then the game would be better off without it IMO.

As far as my comment about emphasis on the multiplayer thee certainly seems to be a lot more investment into that side of things this time around which is fine but it's my what I enjoyed the Uncharted series for and I can't help but wish those resources were spent on the campaign instead. But as I said above I know I'm in the minority here and I understand many are excited about the multiplayer and that's great but I can't sit here and say I am as well because I'm just not feeling it.

For sure most reactions have been overwhelmingly positive but for me personally there are a little things that make me a bit skeptical. So I'm going to play the wait and see game and find out whether my doubts were ill founded or not. At the same time I can't deny that I have them. I suppose I could just not comment on it at all but I felt compelled to respond when the topic came up.

Yer, I don't really care much about multi (although I loved the beta) but never got the impression it was a bigger focus this time and that it would detract from the main experience. .

The story concern is fair enough but after what Druckmann/Straley pulled off with TLOU and then Left Behind (proving the main game wasn't just a fluke) I have a ridiculous amount of faith.

The story concern is fair enough but after what Druckmann/Straley pulled off with TLOU and then Left Behind (proving the main game wasn't just a fluke) I have a ridiculous amount of faith.
They said the game got delayed to make the story better.
If true that's a good thing.

FelipeMGM

The dialogue branching wont be a huge thing or even used a lot through the game, from what we've seen and based on what Druckmann said, its more something to get nostalgic about events of past games and to celebrate the franchise on its closure. I dont think its something to be worried about

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
In any case it doesn't matter one bit whether or not the game is good. Since when do only good games sell?

Well if you have information that shows otherwise please post it. So far that's the only info I have about the Microtransactions so that's what I go by but I will happily admit I'm wrong if corrected.
That's not how it works. You made that claim. I just laugh at you citing Kyle Bosman as an authority.

You may have missed it, but we do know D5s general ballpark from in-game tracking, ~70k (similar to how we ballparked XCX on the WiiU but actually a bit more accurate). It did pretty well.

There's probably not much to be said of the others, and their numbers probably aren't far from where they were last month. I don't tend to think of RPGs as the leggiest of games, and STEAM tends to also be a good barometer of legs (if WoM kicks into affect) and those titles haven't made much progress on SteamSpy either. (In fact, I don't think Zestiria has actually had relevant movement on SteamSpy in weeks.)

Zestiria has gone from 85k to 117k after the first steam sales (-33%). Basically, +30k or +37% in sales.

Lol, I asked nicely yesterday. I'm greatfull for what we do get/got already, however, Ltd numbers for:

- Disgaea 5
- Tales of Zestiria
- Dragon Quest Hereos
- Omega Quintet
- Trails of Cold Steel

Would be great.

Waiting for that too.

zsynqx

Well if you have information that shows otherwise please post it. So far that's the only info I have about the Microtransactions so that's what I go by but I will happily admit I'm wrong if corrected.

"Microtransactions will be available at launch, but we'll have no gameplay items that will be gated through microtransactions," he replied.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/uncharted-4-multiplayer-to-include-microtransactio/1100-6431779/

I love Kyle but I think he may have been wrong here.

No developer is foolproof or perfect. Devs who has never made a good game ever could easily create an unexpected gem that blows people away, or a solid dev suddenly fumble and release garbage.

With that being said, I think we've seen more than enough of UC4 that I don't think it's possible for the game to be any less than a 85+ game.

Will it be as highly rated as the other Uncharted or TLoU? Who knows. But Druckmann/Straley clearly have solid mechanics, a clear idea of what cool set-pieces are, and Druckmann is imo, one of the industry's best performance director currently.

Even if the story, which we know very little about atm may not be great, Druckmann knows how to direct character moments and interactions to utter polish that he can make them shine via good performances.

Top Bottom