• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2010

npdcomvic1.gif

soldat7

^^^:lol ^^^

Omotesando said:
I think Heavy Rain sold better in Europe being a European game and all. This could mean the game could sell well over a million. Huge succes.

How much did the development of Heavy Rain cost?

racerx

Banned
Considering the ps3 user base, Heavy rain did about as well as Mass effect 2 did.

I haven't played HR and don't plan to, but from what I understand, it has problems left and right. On the other hand, Mass effect 2, which I haven't played, but certainly will, hasn't gotten the sales it deserves.

It's disappointing because Qd is going to think they made a great game and won't think and look critically at revising and fixing their problems for their next game. Because, hey, when you sell as well as mass effect 2(the game that will probably win goty), David Cage will have an easier time resting on his laurels.

Yagharek

So I am right in assuming:

360 is high because of two big name releases
Wii is lower due supply constraints post-December
PS3 is a good/decent month but unknown if supply was constrained

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pennywise83 said:
Is this the first time since launch that Wii is not on the top for home consoles?

How about that crazy ps2 number?

Naw. And I'm pretty sure PS3 beat it at one point or another too. Doesn't matter, the fad will continue. :D

racerx said:
Considering the ps3 user base, Heavy rain did about as well as Mass effect 2 did.

I haven't played HR and don't plan to, but from what I understand, it has problems left and right. On the other hand, Mass effect 2, which I haven't played, but certainly will, hasn't gotten the sales it deserves.

It's disappointing because Qd is going to think they made a great game and won't think and look critically at revising and fixing their problems for their next game. Because, hey, when you sell as well as mass effect 2(the game that will probably win goty), David Cage will have an easier time resting on his laurels.

You do realize that Mass Effect 2 came out in January, and that this is a February sales chart right? The game is above 800k LTD.

racerx said:
Similar.

~1.9% of US PS3 owners bought Heavy Rain.
~3.1% of US 360 owners bought Mass Effect 2.

(5 days vs 5 days)

adelante

Andrex said:
Naw. And I'm pretty sure PS3 beat it at one point or another too. Doesn't matter, the fad will continue. :D
Wait it did?? When???

Good to see Heavy Rain charting! Hopefully this paves way for more devs to take similar risks...

racerx

Banned
thestopsign said:
You do realize that Mass Effect 2 came out in January, and that this is a February sales chart right? The game is above 800k LTD.

I know, but still, ME2 should have done 1 million it's first month.

mass effect 2 Jan - 572.1K
HR Feb -219.3K x 2 = 440k which, I suppose is still quite away from 572k

But still, ME2 quality is way above HR. It should have done way better. Or HR should have done way worse.

Wow, I bet T2 really wishes MS cut them a check to keep the franchise completely exclusive.

racerx said:
Why is this?

If anything, with the coming release of GOW3, one would expect ps3 gamers to save their money for that.

Also, the 360 version should have sold more than twice as much as the ps3 version.

Are ps3 gamers just simply more into hack and slash fighters?

was there a marketing difference?

I don't buy the "controller/ads/exclusive content" nonsense. The majority of people don't own 360 and PS3. I think the last study was something like 17% of PS3 owners own a 360? Sure, it's a number, but eh.

I think it's more that this is the type of game that sells on the PS3. A huge amount of people got a PS3 over the holidays for GoW3. It's one of the most hyped games in a damn long time. I think it's spillover from that. Also toss in the fact that ME2 and Bioshock 2 did huge on 360, and I think you have the reason why DI sold more on PS3.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Zzoram said:
Did Final Fantasy XIII get any US TV commercials?
Yup. And not a single one that I've seen on the air so far has had a PS3 logo anywhere on it. :lol

It will be interesting to see how its sales break down.

racerx said:

But still, ME2 quality is way above HR. It should have done way better. Or HR should have done way worse.
Even *if* the 360 had twice as many consoles out there (it doesn't), the idea that that should translate directly into software sales is insane.

racerx said:

I think you are way over thinking this. Quality does not equal proportional sales. Heavy Rain did mediocre for its budget (which was said to be huge, I don't know the number off the top of my head though). Mass Effect 2 probably easily made back its money and at least met expectations.

50 Cent: Bulletproof did over a million back in 2006(?). Just goes to show.

racerx said:

Should have? Says who? Coming off of one of the lower selling points of the generation and all sorts of economic uncertainty, with MW2 and others hogging all of the discretionary spending, I'd say that ME2 came out pretty well in a January.

And holy crap @ Robotinik's newest masterpiece. Bruce Campbell always makes it better.

JaxJag

Banned
ME2 has done really good sales considering what type of game it is.

RPGs like Mass Effect didn't do those numbers 5 years ago.

racerx

Banned
thestopsign said:
I think you are way over thinking this. Quality does not equal proportional sales. Heavy Rain did mediocre for its budget (which was said to be huge, I don't know the number off the top of my head though). Mass Effect 2 probably easily made back its money and at least met expectations.

Well, listen, I certainly agree with you. quality doesn't = high sales. Look at tranformers 2.

I'm just disappointed. I just wish quality did match up with sales.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
MetatronM said:
Yup. And not a single one that I've seen on the air so far has had a PS3 logo anywhere on it. :lol

It will be interesting to see how its sales break down.

I saw one with both systems on it last night. Adult Swim.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
a Master Ninja said:
PS3 owners don't give a shit about Bioshock, it seems. The timed-exclusive nature of the first must have fucked the franchise's potential on the PS3.

Pretty much.

Mr. Miyato said:
They should have gotten it for the PC.

I did, day one collectors edition, there's no chance I'm giving any love for the Bioshock franchise on the PS3 after delaying it a whole year.

Retrocide said:
Wow...this has to be the slowest moving NPD thread ever.

The 360 is a victim of its own success in these threads- its not "that" surprising anymore when it has a great month. I'm pretty impressed that the 360 was able to do so well personally but it doesn't seem to interest most of GAF- hell, we had a detour about the #10 charting title this month that probably got the most emotion in the thread.

Robotnik's gifs as usual are brilliant though :lol

In the wake of FF13, I completely forgot it was NPD day.

The console placing is interesting but the actual numbers are boring. Seems like just another February. Next month is gonna be sick, though.

Pennywise83 said:
Is this the first time since launch that Wii is not on the top for home consoles?

I've checked the old data:
Wii not been first in the chart only 5 times:

Code:
                 360         Ps3        Wii

November 2006:  511,000     197,000    476,000

December 2006:  1,130,000   491,000    604,000

September 2007: 528,000	    119,000    501,000

September 2009: 353,000     492,000    463,000

February 2010:  422,000     360,100    397,900

Rat Salad

Banned
Despite Gaf trying its best to shit on Dante's Inferno the real world PS3 userbase buys anyway. Beyond funny.
:lol

360 is building good momentum,PS3 also. Great sales all around.Good game releases, lots of beautiful 3rd party+ Sony 1st party gems. The Wii needs to pick it up otherwise this might become the norm. with shockers.

soldat7

Brettison said:
Okay seriously. Doesn't everyone have a DS yet? I mean really now. :lol

a. Parents keep having more kids.
b. The DS is not indestructible.
c. The DS is awesome.
d. All of the above.

I'm surprised and yet not so much.

1) Wii and PS3 are apparently supply strained (some places didn't get Nintendo stuff for the whole year up to the end of February!).

2) Did you see what came out this month? Leftovers from Mass Effect 2, Dante's Inferno, Bioshock 2, AVP etc. Wii had Super Money Ball: Balance Board Edition and Endless Ocean 2.

Put the two together, and you have a pretty convincing reason why 360 sales eclipsed the Wii. March might be the same, too.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Tmac said:
PS3 vs Xbox 360 marketshare

X360 = 54%
PS3 = 46%

Thats enough to increase PS3's market share in NA.
No, to increase their market share, they'd actually have to sell more consoles.

LTD 360 / (LTD 360 + LTD PS3) goes up whenever the 360 sells more than the PS3.

Top Bottom