• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2010

Thanks for the nice comments about the gif guys, glad you enjoyed it.

Haven't really had many new gif ideas since the results became samey. Well, aside from posting the Groundhog Day one every month in an effort to be deep.

But when I saw tonight's surprising figures, I knew I had to do something!

vazel

Banned
I hope Heavy Rain does at least near 500k worldwide. I'm sure Sony knows what to expect from this game since they didn't even advertise it that much. Fahrenheit sold 800k throughout its entire lifetime across several platforms.

jedimike

Seems like heavy hardware sales for February... I'm not buying the whole supply constrained bullshit from Nintendo and especially not from Sony.

Love the gif!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
March will be interesting. I'm expecting Pokemon to be on top with Battlefield 360 and God of War fighting for the second spot. FF13 top 10, but hard to say. It seems to be more front loaded than FF12 was.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
vazel said:
I hope Heavy Rain does at least near 500k worldwide. I'm sure Sony knows what to expect from this game since they didn't even advertise it that much. Fahrenheit sold 800k throughout its entire lifetime across several platforms.

Are you serious?, it's past that already most probably, HR will do a million+ easy.

vazel said:

That is easy and it will hit that target soon, just maybe not in one region.

vazel

Banned
lowrider007 said:
Are you serious?, it's past that already most probably, HR will do a million+ easy.
I'm not sure about that... Games are usually front loaded to the first month with succeeding months seeing a decline in sales. Fahrenheit sold 800k worldwide LTD and that's across several platforms. If Heavy Rain can get around 500k worldwide on one platform that would be awesome.

WinFonda

Son of Godzilla said:
I think the biggest takeaway from this is that Bioware/EA was potentially justified in not giving a shit about making a PS3 version of ME2.
For publishers, being able to ship more of the game on a global basis is pretty sweet, because that is where they get most of their "sales." By selling them to retailers. I'm sure Take Two was able to ship an extra million or so copies of the game because of the PS3 version.

Perhaps PS3 owners wouldn't buy Mass Effect, but we can't know until it happens. Of course, a late port is never going to be up to snuff.

But ultimately I think it would be just as relevant for me to point to Dante's Inferno and say, "hey that EA game performed better on PS3 than 360, so where's PS3's Mass Effect?" Every game is different.

Mama Robotnik said:

Haven't really had many new gif ideas since the results became samey. Well, aside from posting the Groundhog Day one every month in an effort to be deep.

It has inspired me to watch Army of Darkness so it did something terrific.:lol

Tmac

Nirolak said:
No, to increase their market share, they'd actually have to sell more consoles.

LTD 360 / (LTD 360 + LTD PS3) goes up whenever the 360 sells more than the PS3.

You are wrong.

Marketshare goes up (or down) whenever thhe monthly marketshare ir higher (or lower) than the LTD marketshare. As the LTD is about 38% for the ps3, february NPD numbers was enough to increase PS3's NA marketshare.

If you still cant get it, heres a numeric example.

First year.

Product A sold 8.000 (market share 80%)
Product B sold 2.000 (market share 20%)

Second Year

Product A sold 6.000 (LTD market share 70%)
Product B sold 4.000 (LTD market share 30%)

While product A still outsold product B, nevertheless it's market share decreased.

jrricky

Banned
Wow, Heavy Rain floored me when I saw it. :O Biggest surprise of the month! I said I would be amazed if it ever hit 50K, but now Im blown away by the sales...

Mush

jrricky said:
Wow, Heavy Rain floored me when I saw it. :O Biggest surprise of the month! I said I would be amazed if it ever hit 50K, but now Im blown away by the sales...
Considering the marketing (or lack of) HR had it makes it even more unbelievable. Haters be damned, it really shows that there is a space for niche games in the HD era.

WinFonda said:
For publishers, being able to ship more of the game on a global basis is pretty sweet, because that is where they get most of their "sales." By selling them to retailers. I'm sure Take Two was able to ship an extra million or so copies of the game because of the PS3 version.
I understand, but if we are going to get really into it, EA will also be in a stronger bargaining position regarding future sequels than T2 because they didn't overburden retailers. Who knows without the numbers, but "potentially justified" ain't exactly strong language.

But ultimately I think it would be just as relevant for me to point to Dante's Inferno and say, "hey that EA game performed better on PS3 than 360, so where's PS3's Mass Effect?" Every game is different.
Yes, but Bioshock and ME were rather similar games released at similar times that met with rather the same amount of success. And hey, the sequels were too.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Mush said:
Considering the marketing (or lack of) HR had it makes it even more unbelievable. Haters be damned, it really shows that there is a space for niche games in the HD era.

I think Heavy Rain had a lot of word-of-mouth exposure.

Rat Salad

Banned
Exceptfor GameStop I still haven't seen PS3s in stores for awhile now. They'd better do something quick with the new Forza/Halo Elite making its way to the shops.
NPD for March will.be.BRUTAL.

Mush

Kagari said:
I think Heavy Rain had a lot of word-of-mouth exposure.
True true. I can't speak for the US, but where I live I've seen just as much advertising for Heavy Rain as I have for the black Wii, which is really saying something. A Kevin Butler like ad could have really helped it along too but I guess SCEA decided to play it safe and stick with MAG. :/ Different markets I guess.

Snipes424

Son of Godzilla said:
I think the biggest takeaway from this is that Bioware/EA was potentially justified in not giving a shit about making a PS3 version of ME2.

For a reason I don't know why, PS3 users like to buy EA games. Also, PS3 owners like to buy GOTY contenders, and ME2 is easily a GOTY contender.

So I think you're wrong.

The Hermit

Mama Robotnik said:
npdcomvic1.gif

Ps3 hiting PSP is the best! :lol :lol

I really missed your gifs mama...

Tmac said:
Marketshare goes up (or down) whenever thhe monthly marketshare ir higher (or lower) than the LTD marketshare. As the LTD is about 38% for the ps3, february NPD numbers was enough to increase PS3's NA marketshare.
Correct. PS3 increased its marketshare by 0.17% this month.

That said, it seems fairly meaningless in the big picture as even though their marketshare increased, they're getting further behind.

Well slap me silly and call me Billy, the 360 continues to shock me.

Seriously though, when the Slim was announced at the $299 pricepoint I assumed the PS3 would easily outsell the 360, at the same $299 pricepoint until Microsoft drops the price again.

Microsoft has to be licking their chops right now with Natal on the horizon, and the flexibility of 360's pricepoint. A new slim hardware design bundled with Natal could be the dagger.

On another note its good to see Heavy Rain is getting some love.

Zen

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
Mass Effect 2 :(

Goddammit.

It sold 572.1K in the first month, that's hardly a bad performance. Better 2nd month than Uncharted 2.

EviLore said:
Data care of NPD Group
Reporting Period: 1/31/2010 through 2/27/2010

PlayStation 2 101.9K
PlayStation 3 360.1K
PSP 133.4K
Xbox 360 422.0K
Wii 397.9K
Nintendo DS 613.2K

BIOSHOCK 2* 360 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE Feb-10 562.9K
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-09 555.6K
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Nov-09 314.3K
JUST DANCE WII UBISOFT Nov-09 275.4K
SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Jul-09 272.5K
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* PS3 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Nov-09 252.8K
MASS EFFECT 2 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jan-10 246.5K
DANTE'S INFERNO: DIVINE EDITION PS3 ELECTRONIC ARTS Feb-10 242.5K
DANTE'S INFERNO 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Feb-10 224.7K
HEAVY RAIN PS3 SONY Feb-10 219.3K

(*includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

---------------------

Analysis from NPD's Anita Frazier:

I guess January is typically a depressed sales month following Nov/Dec, but it's still pretty funny to see the PS2 more than double month over month.

PSP shows a similar increase, but it has been bleeding out for years. Sony will probably be dropping the price some to help keep it on the edge of relevancy for a while longer until PSP2. It's a shame, because I love the PSP as a handheld platform. Seriously you can't go wrong with a PSP, people.

Great numbers for all consoles, although I wonder how high Sony and Nintendo would have been if they weren't suffering from shortages. I guess we've also reached a tipping point in the US market where a price eqal PS3 isn't a guaranteed winner. It use to be that when Sony even came within range of the 360 that we'd see the PS3 beating the 360.

Granted both consoles were at much higher price points then, and Microsoft is much deeper into the casual pricing range at a $199 level of entry.

Bioshock PS3 notably absent, and Dante's Inferno performed about twice as good as I thought it would. Those numbers remind me of Arkham Asylum. Actually Bioshock PS3 probably did half of the 360 version.

I guess PS3 owners really like action games. :lol

Heavy Rain will probably reach 600k LTD in America, not bad all things considered, but the game has gotten some mixed word of mouth so it will be interesting to see what sort of numbers we get for next month, or if whatever they do next will have the same sort of out of left field buzz.

Just Dance sold 191 900 Last month and actually went UP this month? :lol

Grooski

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:

Really, so the potential sales from a 34mill fanbase should just be shrugged off? A console that is currently outselling MS's at a rate of around 2.5mill worldwide in the last 6 months? (here)

You really think EA, if it were contractually able to, wouldn't have ported that sucker day and date with every console ever made?

chubigans said:
Oh I am. :lol
It comes down to whether or not you think the biggest game the PS3 has ever had can sell more than 700k in March. I think it'll clear a million with ease, but I can understand the doubters.

Mama Robotnik said:

Whats so amazing is that you somehow keep pulling out these great clips from random stuff. How do you remember where to pull stuff from?

racerx

Banned
chubigans said:
Oh I am. :lol

actually, on the cag cast, cheapyd has looked at the pre orders.
I don't remember the exact order, but bc2 360 was first, followed, I think by ps3 ff13. then God of war 3, bcps3.

FrankT

Son of Godzilla said:
It comes down to whether or not you think the biggest game the PS3 has ever had can sell more than 700k in March. I think it'll clear a million with ease, but I can understand the doubters.

You think it will clear ~170k more than its predecessor in the same month?

racerx said:
actually, on the cag cast, cheapyd has looked at the pre orders.
I don't remember the exact order, but bc2 360 was first, followed, I think by ps3 ff13. then God of war 3, bcps3.

Should make for an interesting month especially so with Pokeman.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Well perhaps I'm wrong. I've always been underwhelmed with the Battlefield franchise so I'm just slightly biased. :p

WinFonda

Son of Godzilla said:
EA will also be in a stronger bargaining position regarding future sequels than T2 because they didn't overburden retailers. Who knows without the numbers, but "potentially justified" ain't exactly strong language.
I don't think it's a mystery though, publishers like EA usually go on as many platforms as possible for sound financial reasons. They make it work whether or not there happens to be a receptive audience. I think Mass Effect is 2 is exclusive (timed or otherwise) for other reasons and not because of concerns over commercial viability. BioWare has already demonstrated they have PS3 porting capability; and keep in mind, a PC version exists and if that can be financially justified I don't see why a PS3 version couldn't be as well.

As far as retailer bargaining power, EA probably has one of the strongest. And for every Mass Effect they have, they still have one Brutal Legend or Saboteur. I don't think it's an issue for them. And I'm not entirely sure we can say Take-Two over-shipped the PS3 version of Bioshock 2 based on what we know, or worse, somehow weakened their position with retailers.

Grooski said:
You really think EA, if it were contractually able to, wouldn't have ported that sucker day and date with every console ever made?
Completely. There are plenty of reasons not to do it. The most obvious would be if doing so wasn't feasible without a delay, which would ruin their quarter and destroy franchise planning.

And the userbase might be 34 million, but that doesn't mean not having a PS3 version is not selling to 34 million people.

You think it will clear ~170k more than its predecessor in the same month?
I think it will utterly destroy GoW2 numbers, with complete aplomb. I'm also in the "Every PS3 sold in the last year was kinda sorta done so on the promise of this game" camp.

Top Bottom