• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2010

FrankT

Son of Godzilla said:
Completely. There are plenty of reasons not to do it. The most obvious would be if doing so wasn't feasible without a delay, which would ruin their quarter and destroy franchise planning.

And the userbase might be 34 million, but that doesn't mean not having a PS3 version is not selling to 34 million people.

I think it will utterly destroy GoW2 numbers, with complete aplomb. I'm also in the "Every PS3 sold in the last year was kinda sorta done so on the promise of this game" camp.

Nice, time will tell then.

Also, did anyone post LTDs yet?

AniHawk

20qb7r9.jpg

dolemite

DANTE'S INFERNO: DIVINE EDITION PS3 ELECTRONIC ARTS Feb-10 242.5K
DANTE'S INFERNO 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Feb-10 224.7K
The PS3 version is clearly the superior one yet it's only 10% bigger in sales. I now suspect that FFXIII sales will be closer together between the two version, with PS3 > X360.

El-Suave said:
Bioshock PS3 numbers should be interesting for EA should they debate bringing Mass Effect over (if that's legally possible). Same goes for Ubisoft and Splinter Cell.
An interesting point. Assuming Splinter Cell was day and date, I'd think it would do fine. Mass Effect (1 and 2 or even a day and date 3) would have a bigger hurdle to overcome.
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Why does it make me sad and mad that Dante's Inferno beat Darksiders and Bayonetta combined?
Why did you have to say that? Now I'm depressed.

FrankT

a Master Ninja said:
Oh man, I remember that. Somebody is getting let go because of that one.

An interesting point. Assuming Splinter Cell was day and date, I'd think it would do fine. Mass Effect (1 and 2 or even a day and date 3) would have a bigger hurdle to overcome.

The real question marks going forward I'd say are LP2 and DR2.

AniHawk said:

Joining the party in style I see.

Very good Feb hardware sales for MS and Sony. I really wonder how many PS3 sales were left on the table, due to short supply, considering all the evidence of many people being unable to find one at retail price. A quick check on Amazon also supports this. I also wonder if people are holding out for the black Wii.

Heavy Rain is surprising, but maybe not. There weren't any TV ads, but there sure was a lot of Internet exposure, including nude scenes (the nudity could have sold a few copies). I know people are on opposite sides of the fence regarding its short window of sales, but it wouldn't be unprecedented for it to sell more in March, depending on word-of-mouth. Infamous had about the same window of sales in its opening month, and went on to sell more in its second month, due to positive word-of-mouth. I'm still leaning toward lower sales for HR in March, though.

The sales split of Dante's Inferno is also surprising, since, as others have stated, GOW3 is coming out, shortly. It had a shitload of marketing, including a demo with nudity, also. Though, the demo actually cemented my decision to not purchase the game.

Bioshock is one of my favorite games of this gen, and I preordered BS2 for PS3, but there didn't seem to be anywhere near the amount of buzz for the second game as there was for the first one. Sure, the 360 version topped the software charts, but that's only because nothing else did amazing numbers, either. In fact, the next 6 entries all launched prior to February. Had I not played the first game, BS2 probably would've flown under my radar.

It's over for Nintendo, period. Nintendo lost their last ace, and that's the end of the Wii's hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for Wii. Nintendo has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a Wii. Except if they want to play Miyamoto's titles. Which will also come to the 360 anyway once their Mario contract is up at some point.

The age of Nintendo in the US is done.

thewesker said:
It's over for Nintendo, period. Nintendo lost their last ace, and that's the end of the Wii's hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for Wii. Nintendo has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a Wii. Except if they want to play Miyamoto's titles. Which will also come to the 360 anyway once their Mario contract is up at some point.

1.5/10

Too hard dude, too hard.

Baiano19 said:
Ps3 hiting PSP is the best! :lol :lol

I really missed your gifs mama...
Yeah, that gif was pretty funny. I LOL'ed at PS3 hitting PSP out of the way. :lol

But of course, we don't see anyone pushing the DS out of the way! :D

a Master Ninja said:
Oh man, I remember that. Somebody is getting let go because of that one.

I read someone else' post for saying that, which got me depressed.

thewesker said:

http://amir0x.ytmnd.com/

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
360 takes the crown. I'd like to think it was thanks to people getting to know how awesome shmup importing can be... A man can hope

boiled goose

good with gravy
I'm sure there are serious supply issues for Wii but it is not hard to see why 360 and PS3 will start outselling or at least matching the Wii every month.

Look at the ridiculous amount of software blockbusters being released on PS360 every month. The wii games that chart are the evergreen nintendo games but that it is. None of the gens big games are getting wii versions.

Nintendo can only do so much by themselves. (it is ridiculous how they have done so well so far without any support) They could also use a kick in the ass, it has been way too easy for them this gen, especially for NOA. They havent even had to release any games.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Yeah, that gif was pretty funny. I LOL'ed at PS3 hitting PSP out of the way. :lol

But of course, we don't see anyone pushing the DS out of the way! :D
That's because DS is the king. He doesn't involve himself in petty quarrels.

edit: MisterHero, I think you're taking away the opposite message of what that pic is portraying.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
dolemite said:
The PS3 version is clearly the superior one yet it's only 10% bigger in sales. I now suspect that FFXIII sales will be closer together between the two version, with PS3 > X360.
Er, I think it has more to do with the fact that God of War III is so close. The games are incredibly similar, to say the least.

Vizion28

Banned
thewesker said:

You're such a bad troll. Seriously you are. You lack originality, subtlety, and poignancy.

Trolling is art that takes years of intense learning and practice to master my friend.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Edit- Awww beaten.

thewesker said:

For people's unaware, I believe this was Amir0x's post about FF13 360 but with some words changed around. It never did get as popular as the "Japanese Culture Expert" post, but it was still pretty good...

Shurs

dolemite said:

The game is selling to a user base that is slightly greater than half of the 360's. It's impressive.

Guy Legend

Vizion28 said:
You're such a bad troll. Seriously you are. You lack originality, subtlety, and poignancy.

Trolling is art that takes years of intense learning and practice to master my friend.

Actually it was well done. If you were familiar with this art requiring intense learning and practice to master, you would recognize the post as being Amirox's infamous troll post of the PS3.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Son of Godzilla said:
It comes down to whether or not you think the biggest game the PS3 has ever had can sell more than 700k in March. I think it'll clear a million with ease, but I can understand the doubters.

I think GOW3 will beat BFBC2 simply because MW2 is still selling well for both consoles. That means to me that MW is still attracting a larger set of gamers than just your standard FPS fans who are ready to move to the next thing. If I was EA, I would have released BC2 in late May or June with a HUGE add campaing. By that point, a lot of gamers will have tired of MW2 and may want the next thing. Not saying BC2 will do poorly, I think its defintely top 10, I have a feeling GOW should beat it. I think both SKUs for FFXII will combine for around 750K with the PS3 version in the lead. It may have a 2nd month in the top 10, but it will fall quickly after that. I still think it will outsell XII in the west in its lifetime.

Why do PS3 owners love Dante so much and dislike Bioshock 2? The 360/PS3 differential between the Bioshock 2 and Dante SKUs is really weird.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
speculawyer said:
Why do PS3 owners love Dante so much and dislike Bioshock 2? The 360/PS3 differential between the Bioshock 2 and Dante SKUs is really weird.

Advertising would be my guess as DI was fairly well promoted on TV and displays, ect. The first Bioshock tanked on the the PS3, multi owners like myself bought the 360 version so I'm guessing the series never clicked with sole PS3 owners. You can get the first for $14-$19, totally worth it. I bet the PS3 version sold right at 200K

Tmac

dolemite said:

Thats not "just 10% more". You have to consider the difference of installed base of both consoles.

Considering that, the ps3 did, relatively, much better than just 10%.

Tmac

truly101 said:
Advertising would be my guess as DI was fairly well promoted on TV and displays, ect. The first Bioshock tanked on the the PS3, multi owners like myself bought the 360 version so I'm guessing the series never clicked with sole PS3 owners. You can get the first for $14-$19, totally worth it. I bet the PS3 version sold right at 200K

Thats right. X360 owners are more familiar with the bioshock franchise than ps3 owners.

If you played the first game, theres a much higher chance that you'll get the second, than someone that never played the first of the series.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Amazing AMAZING work, Mama Robotnik.

(now please everyone stop quoting it my poor browser o she is dyin)

I usually just add them to the adblock list once I see them since it's pointless to watch it in every single quoted post.

Slurmer

Banned
truly101 said:
WTF :lol I'm assuming he was fishing big time. Otherwise you kids take these here vidya gaimes too seeruslee

You're talking about a guy that punched his mom for not letting him watch south park.

Killa Sasa said:
Heavy Rain with like what, 5 days? Good show.

360 with the upset :eek: and where's Bioshock 2 PS3?

I haven't seen a commercial for Just Dance, I wonder why it has legs? Didn't it come out before Christmas too?

Mario, Sports Resort, and CoD are to be expected at this point :p

Oh, it only had five days? Good, was worried that it was a bomba.

Top Bottom