• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2013 [Up5: Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, Official PS3/WiiU]

SC:TiT is actually less than FE retail, and PS3 ~ 86%.
The first page top 10 is not include bundle with HW.

I'm not sure how it works, but is it possible that when Nintendo talks about the sale of digital versions of the game they are including the digital version included in the hardware bundle?

jett

D-Member
Yeah EA explicitly listed the margin as about 60%, which is the same $36 a lot of other breakdowns have arrived at once you remove packaging/shipping, console license fee, and retailer margin.

Of course that assumes full price.

Yeah. That's how Pachter broke it down ages ago on his GT show. $12 to the retailer, $12 to the console manufacturer. $36 left.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What else would you blame them for? (as a publisher). The game's were well received critically and any decisions made that hurt the game's sales were likely made with the publisher's consent, if not at their prerogative.

I think they created a design document and then sold it to a publisher that was into the idea. I know this is the case with Heavenly Sword for sure (the game existed before Sony signed it). I don't think they make games with mass appeal. Which is why they keep bombing. I'm not saying it's solely their fault, but it's at least partially. For the record, I'm not absolving the publisher.

What I'm getting as is that is the poor sale shouldn't define the studio. PG did things well, and they got recognized by other publishers.

That's what I'm saying. It shouldn't end for them there -- PG clearly made a successful game now, and I do think NT has the chance to do that too. I was hoping DmC would do it, but fortunately the skills they picked up from working with Capcom will benefit them for whatever game they make next/

You are really stabbing at ghosts here. I don't think it should or will end for them here. But they make bombs. Lots of my favorite studios make nothing but bombs. It's unfortunate. Sorry.

sangreal

What would NPD do to creamsugar if he leaked the actual NPD data here every month? Would they demand Evilore hand over his personal info so they could press charges on him? Would Evilore be forced by law to hand over said information to the NPD group? And it's also surprising to me that the numbers don't get leaked on 4chan considering the numbers have to be in the hands of hundreds of people in the industry. NPD does a good job of containing that information I guess.

near full NPD data used to get dumped here every month until I think 2006. I guess NPD made some threats because the practice was banned but then they made a deal to provide GAF with top-10 numbers, hardware and some requests . I think Sony hardware was dropped first, and now all we get is this

I am surprised it doesnt find its way to pastebin or something. IIRC the reason even the leakers dont give exact numbers is that they use this to identify people

ezekial45

Banned
Pretty sure DmC was over deadline. Also had to have a lot of extensive rework from Itsuno and co. Not exactly an ideal situation. Oh and all that Heavenly Sword bad blood with Sony/Cambridge bailing them the fuck out.

Wait hang on this is deep sarcasm I'm not detecting isn't it. Shit.

Great, now people are making shit up again to trash the game further. Wonderful. They never went over deadline for DmC.

Also, there is no bad blood between NT and Sony. NT left because they wanted to remain independent after their bankruptcy and rebranding (thanks in part to their original owner, Argonaut Games, folding). They worked with Sony on their tech with Heavenly Sword. Since they wanted to be on their own, they parted ways, That was it.

Seriously, stop with the lies.

Pooya

short single player only games that got not so great reviews (~80 ish) seems to have a pretty consistent upper limit for sales these days. you'd be very lucky to hit more than 200k.

for single player games it either have to be a lengthy RPG or the like and gather "universal acclaim" to possibly sell more than that, even then it usually doesn't work for Japanese games mostly. Dishonored was the most recent one. Bioshock Infinite is probably next as it's an established brand.

Orayn

Going by this chart and Microsoft's PR, does this mean that the Wii did somewhere over 150k? Goddamn, that's impressive.

I really hope that a pricecut and improved library can start to convert some of those into Wii U sales before the end of the year. Same basic process as happened with the 3DS, only Nintendo needs it a hell of a lot more.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well I don't know how much DS sells but I can't see that as a good thing. DS has to sell around a million for MGR to generate respectable sales.

Dead Space 2 between its first two months (it only had a few days in its launch monoth) did about 764K.

I'm unsure how much this varied from that.

MarkusRJR

Happy that Sly, Ni No Kuni, and Fire Emblem are doing decently.

Brain Age is pretty much dead though with sales barely better than the ~3000 units of Ninja Gaiden 2 Vita. 3DS games as a whole need their MSRP dropped by $10. $30 for Brain Age and Crosswords is fucking ridiculous.

Also, the Wii U is such a clusterfuck at this point. Nintendo really needed to expand during their Wii/DS days so there wouldn't be the massive droughts we're seeing now. There's a complete lack of enticing first and third party games until Fall (in terms of sales). Hopefully Lego City, Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate, and Pikmin 3 don't bomb too badly.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
short single player only games that got not so great reviews (~80 ish) seems to have a pretty consistent upper limit for sales these days. you'd be very lucky to hit more than 200k.

for single player games it either have to be a lengthy RPG or the like and gather "universal acclaim" to possibly sell more than that, even then it usually doesn't work for Japanese games mostly. Dishonored was the most recent one. Bioshock Infinite is probably next as it's an established brand.

I think you have to offer a solid value proposition in consumer's minds.

Like Skyrim, Batman, and L.A. Noire were all open world games (and thus presumed long), and Dishonored at least appeared to offer a really different experience, though notably sold a lot less than any of the other three mentioned.

DaBoss

So...

[360] 302K
[PS3] ~201K - 249K
[3DS] ~151K - ~199K
[WII] ~115K?
[DS] ~101K - 149K
[WIU] ~66K
[PSV] ~38K
[PSP] ~1K - ~9K

Can you say if the 3DS is closer to 150k or 200k? Or if the PS3 is closer to 200k or 250k?

Sorry for asking, but where did you get the Wii number? I probably missed it in this thread.

Drago

Considering that Nintendo had to have included the hardware bundle in their FE:A retail number if a game that sold less than that number ended up on the list but not FE, Sly still probably sold close to 117k, at least above 100k. I can't imagine the hardware sold that much.

Road

npd_handheld_ltd_2013ruu59.png

Nintendo, you have to 2 months to drop the 3DS price to $130.
Sony, Vita flatlined.

npd_handheld_ttm_2013rzu0n.png

Elios83

So...

[360] 302K
[PS3] ~201K - 249K
[3DS] ~151K - 199K
[WII] ~115K?
[DS] ~101K - 149K
[WIU] ~66K
[PSV] ~38K
[PSP] ~1K - ~9K

Can you say if the 3DS is closer to 150k or 200k? Or if the PS3 is closer to 200k or 250k?

We have already confirmed that 3DS did 190k.
Also PS3 should be super close to 250k.

Happy that Sly, Ni No Kuni, and Fire Emblem are doing decently.

Brain Age is pretty much dead though with sales barely better than the ~3000 units of Ninja Gaiden 2 Vita. 3DS games as a whole need their MSRP dropped by $10. $30 for Brain Age and Crosswords is fucking ridiculous.

Also, the Wii U is such a clusterfuck at this point. Nintendo really needed to expand during their Wii/DS days so there wouldn't be the massive droughts we're seeing now. There's a complete lack of enticing first and third party games until Fall (in terms of sales). Hopefully Lego City, Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate, and Pikmin 3 don't bomb too badly.
Those games will definantely bomb (dont know about pikmin) But the whole NPD thread of march will be about ridiculing lego city and MonHun.

HoJu

Highbrow compared to Dead Space 3 by virtue of knowing that it's not really highbrow.

I don't really think that Visceral thinks DS is highbrow...
And people want MGR to "win" because of its focus on gameplay mechanics.
Anyways, both teams waste too much time on their bullshit stories.
Platinum just has more to offer.

MechaX

Wait, where is this Sly doing less than 117k coming from if FE:Awakening at retail did the same but didn't chart? Are we just talking the PS3 version alone?

donny2112

Looking at the sales number given, I would love to hear your reasoning on why not.

I play the game everyday, so that's going to color my view on it. But to me, it's much higher quality and fuller in content than the $20 Brain Age 1/2 games, so expecting it to only sell for $10, just because of the existence of iOS games is like saying all 2-D games should all be $20 or less downloadable titles. It completely ignores what's gone into the game to make it what it is. I'm gaining, what is to me, significant worth from playing it everyday, as well, so that adds to its worth, in my view, too.

Does the market agree? Obviously, not. But just saying "It should've only been $10" coming from someone, who I seriously doubt has played the game (if for no other reason than by looking at the sales :p) does not sit well with me on a personal level.

That's my reasoning, at least.

Orayn

Wait, where is this Sly doing less than 117k coming from if FE:Awakening at retail did the same but didn't chart? Are we just talking the PS3 version alone?

FE:A sold a good number of bundles and those are messing with it, apparently.

~ZIO~

Neo Member
Those games will definantely bomb (dont know about pikmin) But the whole NPD thread of march will be about ridiculing lego city and MonHun.

Oh boy. I'm probably going to go find something to do for a few days so I can let the "fun" blow over until meaningful discussion takes place.

MechaX

FE:A sold a good number of bundles and those are messing with it, apparently.

Ah, then that 117k figure is just what Nintendo gave us (with the bundles included). Hm.. then that could make this Top 10 list really good or really bad with some concrete numbers.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I think they created a design document and then sold it to a publisher that was into the idea. I know this is the case with Heavenly Sword for sure (the game existed before Sony signed it). I don't think they make games with mass appeal. Which is why they keep bombing. I'm not saying it's solely their fault, but it's at least partially. For the record, I'm not absolving the publisher.

Hence why there is no Heavenly Sword 2 or Enslaved sequel. And hence why Ninja Theory was stuck working on a preexisting licence than being given the flexibility to work on their own IP. The worst lesson from those two bombings was to not trust Ninja theory with a new IP.

And DmC's bombing is far more complex than Ninja theory making an unappealing game. But overall Capcom knew exactly what they were getting into when they signed up for Ninja Theory's DmC game. And I'm willing to bet that it was Capcom's prerogative to make a more "casual appealing" DMC.

Ninja Theory did exactly what they were suppose to in this case: they made a well-reviewed, more casual appealing DmC (even if it failed to capture casuals or the original DMC audience). At best, NT is making DmC 2. At worst, they're work on progressively less appealing IPs from now on. But they're certainly not folding and I'm positive they'll continue to get work from publishers.

Top Bottom