• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

Oh yeah. Wii U Zelda looks like it has crazy potential to be huge. The biggest shake-up for the series since OoT.

Did MM really beat TP though in fastest selling? I would have thought either the Wii or GC version of TP would hold that honor.

The Wii U can't even break 100k per month. How huge are you expecting it to be? I think the game will do well relative to the install base, but let's not get stupid.

Good job Nintendo, your efforts in remakes has been excellent and Majora's Mask 3D was amazing. Much deserved sales.

Weaves have been snatched.

Pretty solid month :p Very happy with the results. I'm very curious as to what the N3DS sold, and how well it will maintain. I've my doubts about it's future success, but I wouldn't mind eating crow on this one.

Elios83

Yeah still not seeing any reason to drop the PS4 price yet.

It will be dropped later this year when the new internal hardware revision is ready.
They won't achieve sales anywhere close the first year without a price drop also Microsoft will drop the price to 299$ for the September-December period.

I honestly can't fathom why anyone would think it's controversial to combine New 3DS sales with 3DS/2DS sales. Mind you, if you're a Nintendo fan I wouldn't spike the football just yet to do the touchdown dance in celebration of the 3DS's return to Beast Mode status as N3DS sales probably benefit a lot from existing 3DS owners upgrading as opposed to brand new customers adopting the hardware. But I still wouldn't classify the hardware as distinctly different and insist they should be counted in two different buckets. This is particularly true given the lack of even one N3DS exclusive title being released just yet.

Sony doing work. Really impressive how they managed to turn around their weakest market.

They don't need a price drop but coming out sometime in Spring with a 299 console would destroy evertyhing

SpotAnime

If you're not happy to see Nintendo on top of the HW and SW charts then you don't deserve to be on GAF. Sorry, just sayin'.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - 290k

This...we wouldn't see this game at all in the OP if it is on the Vita instead.

I am glad that it hit such a number :D

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Sony is killing it. I would be shocked if Microsoft wins a single month until the holidays, and even then, it depends on what price/bundle Sony puts out..

It is all going to boil down to who has the best bundles/pricing for the holidays. I mean if they each have their marketing down on these third parties it could get cutthroat (can't wait as I want an XBO when it is $299 with 2 games).

Sony: Arkham, MGSV, rumored to have Battlefront
MS: The Division, Halo, Forza, The Witcher 3(??), Rise of Tomb Raider

Neff

The Wii U can't even break 100k per month. How huge are you expecting it to be? I think the game will do well relative to the install base, but let's not get stupid.

It will satisfy a palpable thirst for this type of game on Wii U, in addition to being the first fully-dedicated HD Zelda title. It should do at least twice as well as Wind Waker HD did. Does that constitute huge? By Wii U standards, pretty much.

I honestly can't fathom why anyone would think it's controversial to combine New 3DS sales with 3DS/2DS sales.

It cockblocked PS4 which some are unhappy about and so are questioning minutiae.

It will do well. Just look at the attach rate for Mario Kart and Smash bros.

To be fair though, Smash Bros and Mario Kart have sold a lot more then [recent?] Zelda entries. They're just bigger.

You're right about the attach rate though, I expect at least 2-3 Million, possibly 4 for Zelda U.

Boke1879

Really sony in a great spot with ps4. Really they dont have to drop price. They can wait for slim version with likely 20nm or 14nm parts to drop the price with the new model.

New 3ds is a weird machine. For the launch of a "new" handheld the sales do not look that good. Seems they maybe going after apple product release. Where we get "s" model of products with minor hardware changes. But not enough to split the user base.

I was just thinking now. I really don't see why Sony would need to drop the price this year at all. I think they will but there is enough big games coming out to warrant a PS4 purchase by itself.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I honestly can't fathom why anyone would think it's controversial to combine New 3DS sales with 3DS/2DS sales. Mind you, if you're a Nintendo fan I wouldn't spike the football just yet to do the touchdown dance in celebration of the 3DS's return to Beast Mode status as N3DS sales probably benefit a lot from existing 3DS owners upgrading as opposed to brand new customers adopting the hardware. But I still wouldn't classify the hardware as distinctly different and insist they should be counted in two different buckets. This is particularly true given the lack of even one N3DS exclusive title being released just yet.

Steve :)

Could you add SKU next to the SW in the OP title plz!

Thanks

KoopaTheCasual

If you're not happy to see Nintendo on top of the HW and SW charts then you don't deserve to be on GAF. Sorry, just sayin'.
Lol, what is this?

This thread seems more fanboy-charged than usual...
Well said.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It will satisfy a palpable thirst for this type of game on Wii U, in addition to being the first fully-dedicated HD Zelda title. It should do at least twice as well as Wind Waker HD did. Does that constitute huge? By Wii U standards, pretty much.

300k for an exclusive game seems suddenly a more than decent result no matter the platform, I'm sure Zelda will sell more than that in the release month.

Loudninja

It will be dropped later this year when the new internal hardware revision is ready.
They won't achieve sales anywhere close the first year without a price drop also Microsoft will drop the price to 299$ for the September-December period.
Hmm they sold 1.7 million already in the slow months.

If I were sony I would price $100 drop during halo launch. That would be glorious.

Funnily enough I posted this in the "PS4 sells 20.2m thread" earlier this week:

So when do you guys think a price-drop is happening?

Everyone assumes $50 announcement at E3, dropping the price to $349. But I think Sony is going to ride the $399 train all the way until holiday season, then cut $100 off to $299, to absolutely mercy kill the competition off.

To be fair though, Smash Bros and Mario Kart have sold a lot more then [recent?] Zelda entries. They're just bigger.

You're right about the attach rate though, I expect at least 2-3, possibly 4 for Zelda U.

Yeah Im not saying it will sell on par to Smash and Mario Kart but was more using them as examples that the Wii U's much smaller install base doesn't mean that their 1st party titles can't be plenty successful.

Basically Wii U's entire install base is Nintendo's core customer group. Zelda will sell on par now as it would if Wii U had a 50 million install base. Most of the people who would be buying Zelda either have / will have a Wii U by the time it releases.

Kacho

That's a good question. I guess I just expect the attach rate to be ridiculously high in addition to moving a good amount of Wii U consoles. That's just my estimation of course. We've only seen a glimpse of it so far, but it looked incredibly promising. At E3 we'll have a much better idea.

Don't care for Majora's Mask but I love seeing my favorite franchise on top. Hopefully this means Nintendo will keep redoing previous Zelda games.

I think it's fairly simple - new hardware that can play games that the previous iteration cannot. Either way, it's nice for Nintendo that they found a way to prolong their handheld's life by getting existing customers to upgrade.

Ty4on

Pretty solid month :p Very happy with the results. I'm very curious as to what the N3DS sold, and how well it will maintain. I've my doubts about it's future success, but I wouldn't mind eating crow on this one.
I think almost all of the 3DS sales this month came from the n3DS. It did 180k in its first week and the 3DS did less than 80k in January.

Boke1879

It is all going to boil down to who has the best bundles/pricing for the holidays. I mean if they each have their marketing down on these third parties it could get cutthroat (can't wait as I want an XBO when it is $299 with 2 games).

Sony: Arkham, MGSV, rumored to have Battlefront
MS: The Division, Halo, Forza, The Witcher 3(??), Rise of Tomb Raider

Wait PS4 is rumored to have a marketing deal with Battlefront? Where did you hear THIS?!!?!?

thelastword

Banned
Since when does NPD get accurate data on digital sales? How come they include it for Nintendo titles and not the rest, this does not make sense.

Top Bottom