• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2010

nexen

BattleMonkey said:
Bayonetta is not surprising as many noted. It's not my type of game (not huge on NG/DMC games) but it also to me was a huge turn off just visually that I know it was going to instantly turn off many others who would not even bother finding out what kind of game it was or give it a chance.

This.

Trent Strong said:
I think Bayonetta's demo probably hurt it's sales. I, for one, had absolutely no idea what was going on in that demo.

This too.

I booted the Bayonetta demo with a lot of cursiosity and ... immediately wanted to turn it off. All the graphic effects thrown over the screen were just over the top confusing and the protagonist was far too hypersexualized. She was like some weird modernized-adolescant-fantasy and it was cringe worthy to me.
I also got my butt whipped handily when I had to fight that girl in the church (was that it? memory hazy. Some sort of tutorial boss fight.) I couldn't even see myself passing it without a lot of practice and broken controllers. Before that fight I didn't find the game overly hard at all.

It was interesting that I was fighting angels though. I give it a plus for that.

ivysaur12 said:
No shit No More Heroes 2 bombed. I didn't even realize the game even came out until a week after it was released :lol

Wait, wait, wait... No More Heroes is getting a sequel?

DMeisterJ said:
This thread is showing it's true potential now.

I'm so happy I could dance.
qnk54x.jpg

Sorry. Had to. But yeah, thread is definitely picking up.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
ShockingAlberto said:
So, since Bayonetta didn't make the NPD top ten, is it time to finally admit that hardcore games don't sell on the 360 or PS3 because this niche Platinum Games title didn't sell?

I think it clearly is.

Yes, but if this generation is any indication, they'll be in denial for the next 3 years about it.

Somnia said:
Be ready to be surprised then.

Is there going to be marketing behind it?

DevelopmentArrested said:
So is Mass Effect 2 going to chart higher than Bioshock 2 next month?

Hmm, yeah, I think it will. That's saying more about the piss poor handling of Bioshock 2 though.

Jtyettis said:
It's got a chance to hit the top 7-10 I'd say.

See lot more games from PS3 exclusives with more general appeal fail to chart or underperform, Heavy Rain is going to be a very very hard sale. Unless it's a really slow month it's going to likely have a hard time. The game screams niche.

Cosmonaut X said:
Well, although this comes on the tail end of a conversation about initial sales not panning out into "leggy" sales, there are a number of titles on the Wii that have shown strong legs on low initial sales so...

Would also be interesting to see figures for NMH in launch month and LTD to give an idea of how NMH2 compares.
January 2008 NPD, NMH's launch month

The last recorded number is 39k, for Sonic Riders. Now, mind you, NMH1 could have been right behind that with 38k. Or it could be well below that.

In any event, I'm glad we're all at the point where we're assuming it has no chance of selling like the original game did, even getting similar first month numbers. I wouldn't have NPD threads any other way.

Busaiku

schuelma said:
Ahh ok, found the number.
Still, it did more than twice as much.

ShockingAlberto said:

The last recorded number is 39k, for Sonic Riders. Now, mind you, NMH1 could have been right behind that with 38k. Or it could be well below that.

In any event, I'm glad we're all at the point where we're assuming it has no chance of selling like the original game did, even getting similar first month numbers. I wouldn't have NPD threads any other way.
The games after 10 aren't 11th, 12th, and 13th.

Evlar

Banned
Wiseblade said:
I think people expect too much from NPD sales sometimes. There are other regions that games sell in. It's kind of weird saying that Mass Effect 2 is a flop when it's likely to sell 1 million+ worldwide.
This is true as well. Our standards for success here are often arbitrary and sometimes senseless. We compare this game against that game and decide whether we're looking at a winner or loser in the same manner football is scored- biggest number 'wins'. EA probably cares about profit from ME2 at the moment, and if they care at all about install base it's only as a way to create more profit in the future. If we want to intelligently discuss whether ME2 is a success or failure in a thread about sales we ought to do it in context of the game's profitability, since that is the only real-world meaning of success related to sales figures which will have an impact on future decisions by publishers, developers, platform holders, and retail outlets.

FrankT

Should be interesting. I'd put Bioshock on top, but I have a feeling it will likely underperform first month versus the original.

jcm said:
That $49 number is interesting, and I hadn't seen it. Do you have a link?

Nope I don't. I read that interview a good while ago, but if I do find it again I will post it.

The_Reckoning said:
In my experience, they are usually sold out, or 1 on the shelf. I'm just a consumer though, so I only know what I see at various stores.

Good job ME2, still need to beat part 1, and then I'll add a +1 to your total. I Would like to see numbers on MAG.

Nice work Darksiders, great game. I predict Heavy Rain will chart next month(if amazon is anything to go by) to the poster up there ^^^

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af195/dhustead/Capture-1.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Yeah....it's not. Sales-age 101: never go by anything Amazon says. Example: both PS3 models outsold every 360 model on Amazon in January by a large margin pretty much the whole month.

I think it's a coin-flip whether or not Heavy Rain makes the #5-10 spot on February NPD. We'll surely see Bioshock 2, NSMB, Wii Sports Resort, Mario Kart Wii, and Modern Warfare 2 so there's 5 spots already. The question is can it beat out games like Bioshock 2 PS3, MW2 PS3, Mass Effect 2, etc.

Also a little surprised at 360 > PS3, I guess Mass Effect 2 + mild slim shortages, who knows. Maybe the PS3 has already exhausted many people who were waiting to upgrade at the $299 pricepoint, which also explains lagging sales in Japan as of late.

we ought to do it in context of the game's profitability

That's information we are very seldom privy too other than off hand comments.

So we'll stick to our battles, thank you very much.

I don't think it'll hit Take Two's 5 million prediction that's for sure.

That's insane IMO, did they really say that?

Rainier

ivysaur12 said:
No shit No More Heroes 2 bombed. I didn't even realize the game even came out until a week after it was released :lol
I was also curious as to how it sold. So how many copies did it move? More, or less than the first? You left the numbers out of your post.

squicken

Jtyettis said:
They get $49 from Gamestop for every game sold per the CEO. Those numbers are nothing but fuzzy math. It was internally published which means the return is all in house. At $35 they would already be over 20 million. Double overseas and they already looking at $40 million at $35 in six days.

Just over $20 million, but barely. If they get, $49, it's news to me. I can't argue it, but I could have sworn we have all heard differently about wholesale prices.

And so, things returned to norm- OH WHAT THE HELL, MY GAME IS NOT THE LIST! IT's THE LIST, THE LIST!

So long Bayonetta, we hardly knew ya. Kind of sad to see MW2's staying power at this point though.

No. Most of SP games are front loaded. Specially when there are big name games releasing close to each other. Next month is time for Bioshock 2. Bioshock 2 > Mass Effect 2.

Shogun PaiN said:
What the hell where you expecting it to chart at with 6 days of sales? 572.1K is an excellent start. The game isn't an FPS where people rush out to buy it because they have to be online day 1. The game will have decent legs and almost certainly appear in next months NPD again.

Most of my concern is over the fact that Mass Effect 1 was one of the quickest discounted games I've ever seen, especially since most label it a success. If they can pull some Bethesda mumbo-jumbo and keep it near full-price for a year, then okay sure whatever. But not having holiday sales numbers for a game likely to drop fast is simply not good.

ShockingAlberto said:

Well, if that is the case - and I'm assuming the NPD numbers there are all accurate - then we have a sequel selling somewhere close to the original in its first month with around about the same time on the market.

I'm not really sure what GAF was expecting for NMH2...

EDIT:

Just noticed the small problem with that table :)

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Rainier said:
I was also curious as to how it sold. So how many copies did it move? More, or less than the first? You left the numbers out of your post.
EEDAR said less than 30k

kinggroin

Banned
No More Heroes 2 sold around 30k right? Isn't that fairly close to how the first game sold?

I hope to high heaven that Europe picks up the slack on this one like the first. Hopefully breaks 500k WW.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That article by Mitch Lasky says EA generally gets less than $35 per game sold in his piece on Madden. ME did have a collectors edition, so maybe a higher blended wholesale, but 50 means that Gamestop takes only 10...I don't know...

So next month:

Bioshock 2 (multiplatform)
Battlefield BC2 (multi)
Dantes (multi)
AVP (multi)

Those possible could chart, and of course a bunch of spots likely will be taken up by Wii regulars like Mario and such.

Though I doubt Dantes is going to be burning up the chart.

kinggroin said:
No More Heroes 2 sold around 30k right? Isn't that fairly close to how the first game sold?

I hope to high heaven that Europe picks up the slack on this one like the first. Hopefully breaks 500k WW.

Probably the same day the Dow breaks 15,000.

Evlar

Banned
gregor7777 said:
That's information we are very seldom privy too other than off hand comments.

So we'll stick to our battles, thank you very much.
Which is tilting at windmills. Pretending sunk costs and marketing budgets don't exist because we don't know the numbers is just bad analysis. It's better to admit we don't know whether this or that game is a 'disappointment' without that data and turn to more interesting topics. In my opinion. Continuing to talk about it regardless of all we don't know points to other motivations... chiefly, treating game sales as a sporting event, or as a means for grinding an axe.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Re: NMH2. I believe it had 5 days tracked for this month.

Don't have the exact January 2008 tracking period since the search is down, but I assume the original had 4-5 more days of tracking.

FrankT

squicken said:
Just over $20 million, but barely. If they get, $49, it's news to me. I can't argue it, but I could have sworn we have all heard differently about wholesale prices.

But the point is even if you say $35 then they are looking at likely $40 million in a week which certainly pays the bills. Anything after that is bank.

markatisu

kinggroin said:

Its on par with the 1st one, but I think NMH2 has even less advertising then NMH did if that is at all possible :lol

DMeisterJ

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
So next month:

Bioshock 2 (multiplatform)
Battlefield BC2 (multi)
Dantes (multi)
AVP (multi)

Those possible could chart, and of course a bunch of spots likely will be taken up by Wii regulars like Mario and such.

Though I doubt Dantes is going to be burning up the chart.
BC2 is March isn't it?

Edit: yeah, March 2.

That month first place will be between GoW 3 and Pokemon... Does NPD combine the two pokemon?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Y2Kev said:
That article by Mitch Lasky says EA generally gets less than $35 per game sold in his piece on Madden. ME did have a collectors edition, so maybe a higher blended wholesale, but 50 means that Gamestop takes only 10...I don't know...

There are middlemen involved in the deal.

Busaiku

markatisu said:
Its on par with the 1st one, but I think NMH2 has even less advertising then NMH did if that is at all possible :lol
The first one did about double, but it had a few more days.

schuelma said:
Re: NMH2. I believe it had 5 days tracked for this month.

Don't have the exact January 2008 tracking period since the search is down, but I assume the original had 405 more days of tracking.
There's always the NPD Wiki.

Fredescu

Son of Godzilla said:
Most of my concern is over the fact that Mass Effect 1 was one of the quickest discounted games I've ever seen, especially since most label it a success.
It did sell 1.6 million in the first few months, which I'm sure was before any discounting. I doubt it dropped faster than Dead Space or Mirror's Edge.

Road

COD in January:

360 World at War - 235,000
PS3 World at War - 108,000

360 Modern Warfare - 330,900
PS3 Modern Warfare - 140,000

360 Modern Warfare 2 - 326,700
PS3 Modern Warfare 2 - 259,000

Heavy Rain isn't making the top 10 next month. There are less than 10 reserves in our entire 18 store district for it.

Besides, which game is it going to replace?

Assuming the top 10 will have:

NSMBwii

Mario Kart Wii

Wii Fit Plus

Bioshock 2 360

Bioshock 2 ps3

Dantes Inferno 360

Dantes Inferno Ps3

Mass Effect 2

CODMW2 360

Alien Vs Predator 360

It would have to be an out of nowhere surprise like Lets Dance, and it's too niche' to do it.
It will more than likely sell well over time if it's good/gets good WOM and Sony doesn't discontinue it.

Nope, it will be Mass Effect month 2 > Bioshock 2 (360) month 1 > Mass Effect 2 month 2. Whether Bioshock 2 does more or less than Bioshock first month is questionable (on 360).

Also pretty interesting that Mass Effect 2 only did slightly more than Uncharted 2 first month with an install base of 19m versus (10m at the time?) and people keep saying Uncharted 2 underperformed in sales. Also even though ME2 was only on the market for 6 days remember how frontloaded HD games tend to be. People like to downplay Uncharted 2 numbers (and PS3 exclusives in general) because they aren't Gears numbers but remember 99% of games don't hit Gears numbers.

jcm

vicissitudes said:
Yeah....it's not. Sales-age 101: never go by anything Amazon says. Example: both PS3 models outsold every 360 model on Amazon in January by a large margin pretty much the whole month.

I think it's a coin-flip whether or not Heavy Rain makes the #5-10 spot on February NPD. We'll surely see Bioshock 2, NSMB, Wii Sports Resort, Mario Kart Wii, and Modern Warfare 2 so there's 5 spots already. The question is can it beat out games like Bioshock 2 PS3, MW2 PS3, Mass Effect 2, etc.

Also a little surprised at 360 > PS3, I guess Mass Effect 2 + mild slim shortages, who knows. Maybe the PS3 has already exhausted many people who were waiting to upgrade at the $299 pricepoint, which also explains lagging sales in Japan as of late.

You forgot Wii Fit. I don't think there's a chance Heavy Rain charts.

ShockingAlberto said:

Seeing how sequels perform on Wii, it has no chance of getting near Bayonetta. Let's not even count japanese sales, else it gets much worse. Yet you defend NMH2 sales, and imply Bayonetta is a bomb.

The original NMH came out on January 22nd against....

Burnout Paradise and Pirates of the Burning Sea, according to Wiki

NMH2 came out against Mass Effect 2 and TvC

Top Bottom