• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2010

ShockingAlberto said:
Oh, I love Bayonetta and am happy it sold as well as it did.

I just wanted to point out GAF's hilarious argument that Madworld is the sole definer of Wii's hardcore success. Bayonetta is one of several HD bombs, and the most equivalent to MadWorld (same developer, publisher, ad campaign, considered a quality title with heavy word of mouth, on two systems with a comparable base to the Wii, etc.). I don't actually believe it's a bomb, but it is fun to poke posters, who know who they are, for the hypocrisy.

But now you made me go and explain it, whereas I'm confident several other people understood it fine. And I was having so much fun, too.

Oh i knew what u were doing, just responded since ulari did the same thing even though no one has as yet crapped on Wii core 3rd party sales in this thread yet, when they could easily use NMH2 and Tatsucap.

Jtyettis said:

for realz. Our area is more "URBAN" though, so the lack of carjacking/shooting things mindlessly or John Madden impacts it a bit.

AVP could surprise if the demo is well received. Not like Top 5 surprise, but I can see the 360 version squeaking into the last spot.

If people step outside their "neogaf bubble" for a minute, the "Average Joe" has never seen a game like Heavy Rain. The "Average Joe" has never even conceptualized a game like Heavy Rain.

Haunted said:
No More Heroes 2 bombed?

YOU ALL SUCK
It wasn't as good as NMH!

Yeah, I said it.
emosternwx8.png

The bumper car section and final boss can suck it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Let's wait on calling Bayonetta a bomb until we get numbers. It could have not charted and still beat out mad world with ease

Shogun PaiN said:
Based on Amazon?

Good reviews, probably will be good word of mouth, not much else out in Feb except BioShock2, if an even more niche game like Demon's Souls sold 150k first month I don't see why Heavy Rain can't possibly top that. I think making the top 10 depends more on how much games like Dante's Inferno bomb.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
cutebabyelephant said:
I don't understand the confusion over Bayonetta. Who wants to play as a sexualized Sarah Palin besides Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh?
People who want to play the best action game of all time?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Y2Kev said:
Are we disagreeing? I'm suggesting EA does not get $49 from the sale of a $60 game. I think we agree?

Oh not at all, I was just listing some factors as to why it is much lower than the $49!

cutebabyelephant said:
I don't understand the confusion over Bayonetta. Who wants to play as a sexualized Sarah Palin besides Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh?
Man, who wouldn't want to play as a sexualized Sarah Palin

It could be like Mass Effect's dialogue system

Limbaugh: Wow, those liberals are retarded!

/ Now hold on there, Rush
- *dance*
\ Oh, that's some sweet satire, Mr. Limbaugh, sir!

amtentori said:
That is really surprising... :/

Who the fuck knows what is up with the wii userbase...

Really now? Who was going to buy NMH2 besides those who played the first? The first didn't garner all that positive reviews and was pretty mixed received, so it already had a hill to climb for sales. The game is very niche and a mature title as well. It had lot going against it.

TVC much more accessible, recognizable franchises, and fighting games are popular community games which Wii is good with. Seemed pretty obvious TVC would outsell NMH2.

Even with ads I doubt NMH2 would have done much better.

amtentori said:
That is really surprising... :/

Who the fuck knows what is up with the wii userbase...

It's the same thing, over and over again.
Why all those questions? NMH2 bombed cause of Ubisoft! Exactly like SH: Shattered Memories, Dead Space Extraction, etc.

wizword

Banned
Archie said:
People who want to play the best action game of all time?
I didn't know ninja gaiden black was released this month. 2nd best action game of all time would be nice (but dmc3, and god of war 2 were probably better games too).

SEGA, you deserved those fucking low sales of Bayonetta you fucking assholes. Not only did you spend Money on marketing Bayonetta, but it also cost you a pretty penny compared to Virtua Fighter 5R. We want VF5R not Devil May Cry: "Its a Trap Edition" you bunch of assholes. Sell your I.P.'s and AM2 to Capcom you fucking idiots at SEGA.

-EDIT- I'm high on the internet right now.........

schuelma

Y2Kev said:
TvC had tv commercials. Did NMH2?

Yeah that was a good one..did anyone see it air anywhere? Not doubting it, I just personally never saw it.

Haunted

ShockingAlberto said:
It wasn't as good as NMH!

Yeah, I said it.
emosternwx8.png

The bumper car section and final boss can suck it.
:(

I haven't played it yet.

SonicMegaDrive said:
I bought it.

Don't blame me.

Then again, I do have a tendency of buying really fuck-awesome games that end up selling poorly...
EVERYONE ELSE BUT YOU SUCKS

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Road said:
http://www.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/index

PC - Modern Warfare 2 - 290,000 (LTD - Physical sales...)
Interesting. According to this article Call of Duty 4 PC did 383,000 in November and December of 2007. Of course digital distribution has become larger in the past two years, and MW2 has constantly been at the top of the Steam sales charts. I'm sure MW2 PC has (unfortunately) outsold CoD4 PC in the same time frame, but I would guess that it shows a shifting of PC gamers to digital distribution.

vicissitudes said:
Good reviews, probably will be good word of mouth, not much else out in Feb except BioShock2, if an even more niche game like Demon's Souls sold 150k first month I don't see why Heavy Rain can't possibly top that. I think making the top 10 depends more on how much games like Dante's Inferno bomb.

I would venture to say that DS had the benefit of being a RPG and not an old school type of adventure game which have traditionally never done all that well. Lot of people been wanting RPG's on the PS3 for some time and it also had benefit of better season of sales.

ShinobiFist said:
SEGA, you deserved those fucking low sales of Bayonetta you fucking assholes. Not only did you spend Money on marketing Bayonetta, but it also cost you a pretty penny compared to Virtua Fighter 5R. We want VF5R not Devil May Cry: "Its a Trap Edition" you bunch of assholes. Sell your I.P.'s and AM2 to Capcom you fucking idiots at SEGA.
yikes SEGA publishes a good game for once and they STILL get shit on

LowParry

ShinobiFist said:

QFT! Good god, VF5R would sell so much more than Bayonetta.

Haunted

ShockingAlberto said:
Man, who wouldn't want to play as a sexualized Sarah Palin

It could be like Mass Effect's dialogue system

Limbaugh: Wow, those liberals are retarded!

/ Now hold on there, Rush
- *dance*
\ Oh, that's some sweet satire, Mr. Limbaugh, sir!
You mixed up your Paragon and Renegade choices there.

lawblob said:
Based on what? French made adventure games about serial killers will chart when pigs fly out of my ass.
Yea, because America hates police procedurals. God knows national TV isn't inundated with them. And 99% of people don't know or care where there games from.

templeusox said:
Yea, because America hates police procedurals. God knows national TV isn't inundated with them. And 99% of people don't know or care where there games from.

You have to admit nearly everything is stacked against it charting. Surely you understand the skepticism.

botticus

Pennywise83 said:
Why all those questions? NMH2 bombed cause of Ubisoft! Exactly like SH: Shattered Memories, Dead Space Extraction, etc.
I don't really think Silent Hill bombed.

Owzers

Pennywise83 said:

I think these games bomb because core gamers don't only own a Wii and every other Wii owner doesnt give a crap about these types of games and would rather buy Just Dance. So not only do third parties have to compete with top Nintendo games, they have to compete with 360/PS3 games too, and my buying habbits have always put third party wii games in the " wait till bargain bin" since they drop SO fast. My first mistake was believing in Madworld and buying it for $30-40. Not only was it a mediocre 4 hour game, it could be found for $12 new everywhere in a little more than half a year. Wii exclusives are also INCREDIBLY hyped just because they are exclusive and throw off core gamers belief in any of them. The first third party Wii game that might get money priority will be Monster Hunter Tri.

Mrbob

Road said:
http://www.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/index

PC - Modern Warfare 2 - 290,000 (LTD - Physical sales...)

And Mass Effect 2, BioWare's sequel to the 2007 action role-playing game, sold 572,100 copies for the Xbox 360 with just six days in stores. That makes Mass Effect 2 the best-selling game to ever be released in January, says Jesse Divnich, analyst with EEDAR (Electronic Entertainment Design and Research). "By a huge margin," he says. "Typically, January is reserved for holiday season overflow and people who didn't buy games like Call of Duty over the holidays. Publishers are always afraid to introduce triple AAA titles in that month."

Haters gonna hate.

Oh and Steam achievement tracker has MW2 over a million different achievement account tracked. Only about half of steams 25 million userbase registered with the steam community too which websites can use to track things. MW2 is a steamworks title so all copies (even retail) register with steam.

schuelma

Out of curiousity, I wonder how Silent Hill PSP/PS2 did.....I am sure they did better than on the Wii right?

templeusox said:

By this logic Avatar: The Game should be the # 1 selling game of the last 3 months.

Niche' gameplay style + no MAINSTREAM advertising and hype = low sales.

It'll prob be a sweet game. I'm pulling for it, I love adventure games. It's not going top 10 next month.

Top Bottom