• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2010

WrikaWrek said:
360 keeping that pimp hand strong.

I wanted MORE MORE MORE for Mass Effect 2, but for 4 days or so, it's good right?

I believe so. Keep in mind that it's also a strong PC franchise. And I think it will chart next month, although probably in the bottom ten.

As much as EA/Bioware want it to appeal to that Halo/Gears crowd, there is only so much they can do. It's never going to be one of those "2 million first day" franchises as long as it still has some of the rpg elements and lacks multiplayer.

I would not be surprised to see multiplayer for the next one, the mechanics are there. Whether or not Bioware is competent enough to actually make a good online system is yet to be seen.

Interesting numbers this month. Those hardware numbers are good, actually. They're the best ever for the 360 and PS3, and despite Bloomberg's stupidity, the Wii just put up its 2nd best January and the 3rd best ever (4th if you also count handhelds). The only reason it didn't beat last year is because this Christmas, people could actually get a Wii. Last year, you could get a voucher and pick it up in January.

I hope some of these disappointing software numbers don't send publishers back into the "gotta release everything in Q4" mentality. Q1 is packed too tight, but they only need to spread it out a little more, not squash it all back into Christmas time. The industry could really stand to lose its box office mentality of everything selling in month 1 and not much afterwards, but I don't think anyone knows what to do about it.

DiscoJer

Fredescu said:
Steam is achieving 100% growth every year for years now with a good library and smart pricing*. Consoles lag behind because of a lack of competition in that space, but they'll get there because third party publishers will demand it.

* unless you're in continental Europe I guess.

The same third party publishers that don't put up their games on PSN?

I mean, both the PS1 and PSP have a huge backlog that could go up on PSN at any time. But apparently, third parties simply don't care to. They apparently don't even have to make any effort, just tell Sony to do it. (This was explained in a post by a guy from Sega, explaining the problems with After Burner weren't their fault, since the process is all done by Sony)

itxaka

Defeatist
yay! darksiders appears on the top10!

Still not on par with the publisher expectations :(

And poor PS2, it was good knowing you. Say goodbye to the old King! Say hello to the new Wii King!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
A little late with this but I read it earlier in this thread and just had to comment on it:

And Mass Effect 2, BioWare's sequel to the 2007 action role-playing game, sold 572,100 copies for the Xbox 360 with just six days in stores. That makes Mass Effect 2 the best-selling game to ever be released in January, says Jesse Divnich, analyst with EEDAR (Electronic Entertainment Design and Research). "By a huge margin," he says. "Typically, January is reserved for holiday season overflow and people who didn't buy games like Call of Duty over the holidays. Publishers are always afraid to introduce triple AAA titles in that month."

Suck it, haters.

Of course, the game deserves more sales, I won't argue about that because it is that damn good, and BioWare deserves as much sales as possible - but still.

I expect to see it in next month's top 10 again as well...

Fredescu

DiscoJer said:
The same third party publishers that don't put up their games on PSN?

I mean, both the PS1 and PSP have a huge backlog that could go up on PSN at any time. But apparently, third parties simply don't care to. They apparently don't even have to make any effort, just tell Sony to do it. (This was explained in a post by a guy from Sega, explaining the problems with After Burner weren't their fault, since the process is all done by Sony)
Interestingly that post is from a thread discussing bugs in the DD version. Perhaps there is a reason publishers don't ask for it yet? I'm not a PSP owner, is making new PSP games available for download post the release of the GO really that uncommon? Bizarre if that's the case.

As far as Bayonetta is concerned, I don't think the boxart was helping matters any. It's a chick in skintight leather sticking her ass in your face. Classy!

Nice sales for TvC.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Tiduz said:
30ubt48.jpg

holy shit :lol

Vagabundo

I'm not surprised with Bayonetta's numbers the game is very niche and lots of people would be put off my the genre and the marketing - skintight leather; straight back to the 80s.

I played the demo and it was very meh.

JUST DANCE WII UBISOFT Nov-09 191.9K :lol

And I think the best of people buying Mario Kart, it's soooo good, I have my doubts if Nintendo will be able to create a new Mario Kart that's up to Wii version.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Holy shit!, third parties can't sell on the Wii; comparing two well known core games; COD MW2 did almost 10 millions on HD consoles, while NMH2 couldn't even reach 30 thousand... that's a 33,333% diference!!!

Third parties take note of this and never do a core game on the casual's console.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
All the former Crimson Skies teams had games totally bomb.

MAG made by Zipper. They did the incredible PC version of Crimson Skies.

Dark Void by Airtight. They made High Road to Revenge on X-Box.

Airtight will be luckly to maintain a publisher for another game. How long before studio cuts arrive at Zipper?

Holy shit
Poor Bayonetta. Bombs at retail and apparently nobody likes it to boot.

Oh well I'm sure Sega is backing Platinum for another dozen or so games cause hey it's Sega.

I've only read a couple of pages, but the numbers overall are alright.

The interesting numbers for me were Mass effect, Tatsunoko vs capcom and NMH. I can't say that I'm disappointed with TvC and Mass Effect. If TvC manages to hit 200K in America alone I would consider it a success. Mass effect should also have no problem breaking the original's LTD.

I feel bad for Bayonetta though. I haven't played it, but I've kept up with some of the media coverage and it looked pretty promising(great graphics, epic fighting, and a platinum game). I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Anybody have an update on Silent hill?

JoseJX

Brimstone said:
All the former Crimson Skies teams had games totally bomb.

Speaking of Crimson Skies, what happened to this IP? I remember this game being really polished and quite a bit of fun. A sequel would make a great exclusive for the 360. Was it lost in the shuffle when FASA was closed?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Holy shit
Poor Bayonetta. Bombs at retail and apparently nobody likes it to boot.

Oh well I'm sure Sega is backing Platinum for another dozen or so games cause hey it's Sega.
don't be ridiculous, the people with good taste mostly ignore NPD threads

Nuclear Muffin said:
If these numbers are true than Bayonetta is pretty much in line with Madworld, which is quite surprising; I expected it to do much better than Madworld. It's a much bigger production and in a much more popular genre, SEGA can't be happy with those sales (It would've costed much more and was actually advertised on TV. It may have just over doubled the sales of MW with both consoles combined but it would've costed much more than double the amount it cost MW to produce)

Madworld didn't sell anywhere near 160k in its first month in NPD, it's never going to come close to Bayonetta's sell-through in Japan, it charted much, much worse in the UK, and it had quite a bit of TV advertising. This is getting a bit ridiculous.

Bayonetta is already Platinum's most successful game.

As for NMH2, don't count it as a bomba just yet. It's first NPD sales figures account for about half the amount of time as the original game. It may yet be able to keep up with the original game, considering the legs that Wii games tend to have! (and even considering that, it would still be SUDA's 2nd best selling game of all time anyway)

Since it's a core game in a niche genre, I'm curious as to why Wii owners didn't pre-order at all. It's not like fans of NMH had much else to choose from in the genre.

Kuroyume

Banned
Vagabundo said:
I think the demo may have worked against Bayonetta.

Sometimes it is best not to release a demo.

The demo was good, and if I recall correctly it got good ratings from users on the XBOX dash thing.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Madworld didn't sell anywhere near 160k in its first month in NPD, it's never going to come close to Bayonetta's sell-through in Japan, it charted much, much worse in the UK, and it had quite a bit of TV advertising. This is getting a bit ridiculous.

Bayonetta is already Platinum's most successful game.

Since it's a core game in a niche genre, I'm curious as to why Wii owners didn't pre-order at all. It's not like fans of NMH had much else to choose from in the genre.

Sorry, I meant that Madworld has sold in line with Bayonetta's sales on a single platform (It's above the PS3 version but lower than the 360 one) And yes I know that Madworld got TV advertising in the UK (I do live there after all!) but AFAIK it didn't get any in the US (and we're comparing US sales figures)

confuziz

Banned
TehSw1tch said:
Hey, everyone, let's look at the all the games Capcom USA has been responsible for marketing and funding in the last few years!

If you look at that list, you have to wonder what the hell Capcom is doing/thinking. The first 2 games don't even ring a bell..

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So amidst all the discussion about Bayonetta and Mass Effect 2, I was very interested in EEDAR making the claim that Mass Effect 2 was, leaps and bounds, the best selling January release first month ever.

I only have data from January 05 onwards.

A list of every new release that broke 100k in January:

January 05 (pre-leak ban, figures posted on GAF):
Resident Evil 4 (GCN) ~300k
Zelda Minish Cap (GBA) ~220k
Mercenaries (Xbox) ~200k
Mercenaries (PS2) ~175k

January 06 (pre-leak ban, figures posted on GAF):
MVP 06 NCAA Baseball (PS2) ~100k

January 07 (post-leak ban, figures posted all over the internet):
Lost Planet (360) ~325k
WarioWare: Smooth Moves (Wii) ~200k

January 08 (post-leak ban, NPD public top 10; #10 cut off at 133k and no misc leaked figures had debuts over 100k):
Burnout Paradise (360) 144.1k
Mario and Sonic Beijing Olympics (DS) 133k

January 09 (" #10 cut off at 113k)
Skate 2 (360) 199k
Lord of the Rings: Conquest (360) 113k

January 10 (Public top 10 + PS3forums leaked numbers)
Mass Effect 2 (360) 572.1k
Army of Tutu (360) 246.5k
Darksiders (360) 171.2k
+MAG PS3 ~150k
+Darksiders PS3 ~130k
+Bayonetta 360 ~100k
+Army of Two PS3? This hasn't been leaked but logically even at a 2:1 360:pS3 ratio, that puts it above 100k.

JosM88 said:
If TvC manages to hit 200K in America alone I would consider it a success.

The last leaked update for Marvel vs Capcom 2 PS2 was 250k. The final sales for both MvC1 and MvC2 for Dreamcast were 200k. Your barrier for success is a little too high me thinks.

amtentori said:
Dark Void probably cost a fair amount to make.

They could have probably done RE5 Wii edition with that money and made a shitload more.

According to Capcom USA Spyborgs was the equivalent effort to Dark Void on the Wii.

orion434

I did pretty good with predictions... now I have to find that thread. I went to the Mass Effect 2 midnight launch and there were ~ 20 people for ME2 and 0 for MAG and there was a SONY rep there giving out free stuff. I felt bad for the guy...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah, I've heard that the Capcom higher ups were plenty happy with the early shipped/sold numbers for TvC.

Hopefully this means that a sequel is not impossible! I want Phoenix Wright, with or without his desk on wheels! :lol

Nuclear Muffin said:
Sorry, I meant that Madworld has sold in line with Bayonetta's sales on a single platform (It's above the PS3 version but lower than the 360 one) And yes I know that Madworld got TV advertising in the UK (I do live there after all!) but AFAIK it didn't get any in the US (and we're comparing US sales figures)

I live in the US, and it certainly did.

I love the fact that Kamiya and Mikami are really trying to make some original experiences, but at some point they are going to have to go back to where it really began for both of them: Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, and Devil May Cry.

I'm not saying to flat out try to make a spiritual successor to Resident Evil (DO WANT) but it's clear that Devil May Cry and Resident Evil were both games that had more mainstream appeal than LOL PN03, GODHAND, BAYONETTA design types (despite the quality of these titles).

I think Vanquish COULD be a step in the right direction for mainstream success considering that all signs point to it being a shooter right now.

Perhaps I'm a little ignorant on the subject, but as much as I'm a fanboy of Kamiya/Mikami it seems that Capcom up to now has been in the right when it comes to their dismissal of Clover studios. It's commendable that Mikami and Kamiya are making games that they really want to, but for visionaries like them it's hard to believe they couldn't make something awesome that would be appealing to a wider range of people.

The biggest frustration is the "what could have been" aspect of this whole thing. Other than the Bionic Commando (360 version) and Dark Void creations Capcom has been dead on this generation and their marketing power, as well as their framework engines in the hands of both of those guys would have been really terrific.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Madworld was advertised quite a bit on some fairly big networks. I saw the ad all the time on ESPN for one thing.

TvC ad was on pretty often on Adult Swim and I think I saw it once or twice on Spike.

Bayonetta was all over the place, it was on twice a night on USA for quite a bit before and after it launched.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
TehSw1tch said:
Hey, everyone, let's look at the all the games Capcom USA has been responsible for marketing and funding in the last few years!
Don't forget Harvey Birdman!

TehSw1tch said:
If that's true, it shows how badly fucking managed Capcom USA is.

Christian Svensson said:
Dark Void and Spyborgs are the two biggest titles our office is working on. To say that either of them isn't an incredibly high priority for the company, with major resources against them would be a pretty big misunderstanding of the reality.

I have to say that back when it was announced I never expected Dark Void to bomb so badly. While it was never clear to me why Spyborgs needed to exist or who was supposed be interested in it, a jet pack shooter seemed to be fundamentally appealing and easy to promote. But I suppose none of that matters if the game simply isn't good. It's a shame Capcom USA is so talentless at producing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Really cheap if you can find it. Not terrible either, especially compared to certain other High Voltage games! :lol

TehSw1tch

Banned
leroy hacker said:
I have to say that back when it was announced I never expected Dark Void to bomb so badly. While it was never clear to me why Spyborgs needed to exist or who was supposed be interested in it, a jet pack shooter seemed to be fundamentally appealing and easy to promote. But I suppose none of that matters if the game simply isn't good. It's a shame Capcom USA is so talentless at producing.

Jesus fuck.

I honestly thought they were joke games, like...

"Hey, we have some extra cash lying around, want to throw Nolan North in something? How about a really derivative Wii game no one will buy?"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Man God said:
Yeah, I've heard that the Capcom higher ups were plenty happy with the early shipped/sold numbers for TvC.

Hopefully this means that a sequel is not impossible! I want Phoenix Wright, with or without his desk on wheels! :lol

Oh god yes! Give me PhoenixCar!

Mael

Haunted said:
released and fucking hilarious. Awesome game.
So I get it that it's out in Europe too,

damn it no wonder Wii 3rd party games bomb, they don't even reach the retailers!

Man God said:
Really cheap if you can find it. Not terrible either, especially compared to certain other High Voltage games!

:lol
I swear there's only Alone in the Dark (the game where you're never alone and there's always light somewhere....) and Nights that are worse on the games I own for Wii.
Heck I still regret in getting that instead of waiting for MW! And I'm not fond of MW at ALL

edit :
WAIT! it's an HVS game?
I didn't buy the right one then?
Dear god Ign is useless!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
speculawyer said:
A fairly standard 2D fighter that has been a relatively popular genre since the old Mortal Kombat & Street Fighter arcade games.

Man, you're not even trying to hide your riduclous bias anymore.

Top Bottom