• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For January 2011 [Up4: Analyst Data (Lots Of Games)]

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Flying_Phoenix said:
GAF is so boring now.

NPD is on its last breath, no more meltdowns, no more epic gifs, BORING.

If only Segata Sanshiro were still here. He would save the day somehow.

:(

xbhaskarx

lawblob said:
Great month for Sony.

Mrbob said:
Major Nelson is tweeting about play Hard Corps Uprising right now. Even MS doesn't want to release hardware data this month! Usually they are the first to gloat via twitter. Must be bad all around for the top 10 and hardware sales.

user_nat said:
I had a feeling MS would stop being helpful once their sales dropped.

NPD threads suck ass now but at least some of the pre-number comments are entertaining....

Suzzopher said:
Only nine pages? For shame Gaf.

String of :lols for mr 50 comments / page.

Kenka

WrikaWrek said:
Rather embarrassing that MS is the only one with balls to show up.

It seems like even bragging about third-party to first-party sales ratio is not an option for Nintendo. That's quite telling.

[Nintex]

Thunder Monkey said:
But how could it beat it for the last six months if it got beat last month?!

*brain sizzles and pops*
Don sat down with John Riccitiello on Peter Moore's burning oil platform and the two informed him that it is ok to lie to your shareholders.

TheOddOne

[Nintex] said:
Don sat down with John Riccitiello on Peter Moore's burning oil platform and the two informed him that it is ok to lie to your shareholders.
Don is sitting there and cursing John and Peter for burning all that money he made for EA when he was running it.

C4Lukins

I thought Dead Space would be more in the 700K range with the hype and the reviews so that is a bit disappointing. I was also hoping Mass Effect 2 would make the top 10, but that was not such a surprise. This is a bit of a scary top 10 considering the types of games I enjoy.

Hammer24

Banned
Kafel said:
PS3 and Wii numbers would be nice.

Yeah, this.
Oh, and while we´re at a wishlist, numbers for Kinect Sports and Dance Central would be much appreciated, to gauge the post-holidays interest in Kinect sales.

BowieZ

Banned
Make no mistake, people. This is the calm before the storm.

The current-gen hardware hurricane was settled 2 years ago... we have 18 months left of MS selling some catch-up 360/Kinects.

We just have to patiently wait about 3 months for the 3DS NPD cyclone.

Steel Diver will save our NPD threads guys, just you wait. Nintendo will be happy to share again once the 3ds is out.

Yay Dance Central, yay Dead Space, boo at Ubisoft cheesing its way into 4 top 10 entries.

1-D_FTW

I'm going to only assume by Sony's horribly pathetic PR and Nintendo's silence that both of those systems bombed horribly.

You want me to assume otherwise, release your numbers. Otherwise, silence = bomb. Congratulations MS.

I wouldn't count on the 3DS cyclone. Pachter really screwed Nintendo over by egging them on with the price. The fact nobody can sell out their pre-orders is a terrible sign. 2 months out is going to get pretty ugly (unless they really restrict supply to generate some false demand).

FrankT

Well maybe Pachter will come through with the rest of the console HW today. He's done it before so we shall see. Industrygamers has been known to get a hold of some data points as well.

Not sure we've ever had to wait this long though.

Dabanton

NemesisPrime said:
I don't envy the guy who has to write the Sony PR every month.

Seriously i hope his paid well.

The use of prose is exquisite the words themselves as slippery as oil and and full of doublespeak.

January’s NPD numbers, reflecting a 25% increase in PS3 software sales, demonstrate continued momentum for the PlayStation ecosystem. As the only system with both stereoscopic 3D and precision motion controlled gaming, PlayStation is delivering a new era of immersive entertainment fueled by the industry’s strongest content lineup. Next week, with the arrival of one of the most anticipated titles of the year, Killzone 3, consumers’ expectations for exhilarating 3D graphics and fast-paced PlayStation Move action will be further elevated in living rooms around the world," said Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA.

Sony have completely omitted hardware performance. That can't be a good sign.

seady

chris0701 said:
I agree $40 price tag would be much better.

However,PS3 ME2 is GOTY2010,and it comes with full DLCs and interactive ME 1 drama comics,it should work as the definitive version for PS3 user. Maybe SCEA and EA underestimate the number of gamers who owns both HD consoles.

The 360 version of ME2 is MSRP at $20 now, and can be found easily for $10 at multiple retailers at multiple times.

I don't know why EA would price the PS3 version $60.

Barrett2

It would be interesting to know if Dead Space 2 sold better to a younger demo, which is what I assume the point of their marketing was for.

FrankT

seady said:
The 360 version of ME2 is MSRP at $20 now, and can be found easily for $10 at multiple retailers at multiple times.

Should have never been priced as such as you could get the whole game plus all the major DLC for around ~$17 in December, which has me thinking the price of waiting these days is well worth it. Of course, that is only part of the problem. I imagine ME3 will play out much like Bioshock 2 as the base is on the 360. Though I do think EA tried to build it up here just not happening at that price.

I have the 360 LTD now at 25.77M.

KingDizzi

Banned
seady said:

They wanted to make as much money as possible from the PS3 version, they knew the game was not going to sell well. I seriously doubt they or Sony thought it would do well, it's basically there for the biggie which is ME3. That game will be releasing on both on release date so that is what matters, ME3 on 360 will still heavily outsell the PS3 version but obviously nothing like what the PS3 sales of ME2 are compared to 360. The age of big 3rd party exclusives for both HD consoles is truly dead, the only shocker for me is GeOW not moving to PS3 but there is some contract of sorts between MS and Epic, why would Epic not want more sales?

Really great to see Epic Mickey drop like a rock, turd of a game and also did not like DKCR however that's just me, sister loved it so can understand and appreciate that game doing well.

BowieZ said:
Make no mistake, people. This is the calm before the storm.

The current-gen hardware hurricane was settled 2 years ago... we have 18 months left of MS selling some catch-up 360/Kinects.

We just have to patiently wait about 3 months for the 3DS NPD cyclone.

Gonna be boring as fuck mate, everyone knows the 3DS will do well. The shitstorm will come when the NGP releases, success or failure that is when NPD will go back to its glory days. And of course bombas attract alot of attention, for example if Killzone 3 does not chart next month the thread will be good, the "Killzone 3 sold what it did in 5 days, it will chart next month" line will appear for sure.

KingDizzi said:
The age of big 3rd party exclusives for both HD consoles is truly dead, the only shocker for me is GeOW not moving to PS3 but there is some contract of sorts between MS and Epic, why would Epic not want more sales?

Because Microsoft gives them great marketinjg as well, and then there are things like Micrsooft promoting UE3 as a de facto solution for Kinect development and so on. I'm sure they have their reasons for staying in that relationship.

Next gen, though, we'll see.

EDIT: Oops, DP.

Rolf NB

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Because Microsoft gives them great marketinjg as well, and then there are things like Micrsooft promoting UE3 as a de facto solution for Kinect development and so on. I'm sure they have their reasons for staying in that relationship.

EDIT: Oops, DP.
Bulletstorm is MP. So they aren't exactly "staying in that relationship" even now.

FrankT

Karma said:
The 360 now has a 10 Million unit lead over the PS3 in the US.

I believe that happened last month or perhaps just shy not sure.

As for Gears well this is what the Cliff said recently;

“I think our current set with Microsoft dictates that for us internally it makes more sense for Gears to remain a 360 franchise for the foreseeable future

Obviously MS is paying top dollar to keep it that way. Though from all rumors told the original deal was for 2 games and Epic had it's choice after that so they too must be pleased either way. With it being the most anticipated game of the year at this point it's still going to make them a crap load of money on top of whatever MS is throwing in the bucket.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
1-D_FTW said:
I'm going to only assume by Sony's horribly pathetic PR and Nintendo's silence that both of those systems bombed horribly.

You want me to assume otherwise, release your numbers. Otherwise, silence = bomb. Congratulations MS.

I wouldn't count on the 3DS cyclone. Pachter really screwed Nintendo over by egging them on with the price. The fact nobody can sell out their pre-orders is a terrible sign. 2 months out is going to get pretty ugly (unless they really restrict supply to generate some false demand).

Highly doubtful that Pachter had anything to do with Nintendo's price decision.

I agree with your first statements, though.

1-D_FTW said:

Where is this news that no one can sell out there preorders? I've never heard of sellers "running out of preorders" ever, and I chalked this up to retailers taking as many preorders as they could at all times. If they take too many, then their preorders are just a list of people who get the systems each shipment.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Dabanton said:
Seriously if you wanted to play that you would have done it on the PC or 360 at the beginning of 2010.

That plus paying full price for a game that could be brought on other formats for very cheap must have off a few buyers.

The package was solid but it was way to late for most people.

I think what suprised me was that EA did NOTHING to promote it to the average gamer. No commercials, very few print ads, I don't recall seeing a lot of in store promotion for it. This was one of their biggest games last year, and instead of saying "HEY ITS ON PS3" it was more like, "well, uhhh, here's the pS3 version, buy it if you want."

My expectation due to that was somewhere around 100k-150k, the number 10 game did 195k? I suppose its possible. I was sure that there would be people here going "NO PS3 ME3, LULZ, SUPER BOMBA!!!!!" like it was realistic to expect it to do better.

BowieZ

Banned
1-D_FTW said:

You want me to assume otherwise, release your numbers. Otherwise, silence = bomb.
Homer%2BRock%2BBottom.jpg

KingDizzi

Banned
Jtyettis said:
I believe that happened last month or perhaps just shy not sure.

As for Gears well this is what the Cliff said recently;

Obviously MS is paying top dollar to keep it that way. Though from all rumors told the original deal was for 2 games and Epic had it's choice after that so they too must be pleased either way. With it being the most anticipated game of the year at this point it's still going to make them a crap load of money on top of whatever MS is throwing in the bucket.

It probably did not cost MS too much simply due to the nature of GeOW, the sales are strong in EU but beastly in NA. Were it say COD where a very large portion of sales come from EU then it would be a much more costly deal for MS, PS3 software sales are no slouch in EU to say the least. PS3 not doing too hot in NA would have made the decision for Epic to stay exclusive much easier. Marketing for both GeOW games here in the UK were immense and expect no different for the third game, also saves Epic from the headache of selling a game because GeOW makes them monay but it's the engines which really keeps their pockets full.

truly101 said:
I think what suprised me was that EA did NOTHING to promote it to the average gamer. No commercials, very few print ads, I don't recall seeing a lot of in store promotion for it. This was one of their biggest games last year, and instead of saying "HEY ITS ON PS3" it was more like, "well, uhhh, here's the pS3 version, buy it if you want."

My expectation due to that was somewhere around 100k-150k, the number 10 game did 195k? I suppose its possible. I was sure that there would be people here going "NO PS3 ME3, LULZ, SUPER BOMBA!!!!!" like it was realistic to expect it to do better.

360 was bomba price within the first half of 2010, you can pick up the game for cheap so the PS3 version was never going to do well. It's gonna be the usual, ME3 will sell better on 360 than PS3 in NA, UK but the other way round in all other regions. Since NA is the region which really matters though in terms of ME games........

FrankT

For Nintendo not to have released any PR by this point it must have been pretty bad. Even on non-winning months they typically have a PR out sometime after NPD release.

Rolf NB

ME2 was promoted to hell and back on the PSN store at least. I suppose that's not reaching the entirety of the market, but still. If you're really into games and have a PS3, you'll have seen it at least once every week, for the past couple months. The ME2 icon is still on the first page of the new releases, second row of icons. And no DLC or anything for it was even released this week. BW must continue to give Sony something to keep it there.

Barrett2

Rolf NB said:
ME2 was promoted to hell and back on the PSN store at least. I suppose that's not reaching the entirety of the market, but still. If you're really into games and have a PS3, you'll have seen it at least once every week, for the past couple months. The ME2 icon is still on the first page of the new releases, second row of icons. And no DLC or anything for it was even released this week. BW must continue to give Sony something to keep it there.
The week it was released, the entire PSN background was ME2, IIRC.

Moobabe

Rolf NB said:

It's also horrendously expensive on the PSN store - £10 more expensive than the boxed game in the UK.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

Yeah Epic is getting a lot out of this as well. Probably even insight (and even a say) in the next gen XBox products. I expect Epic to keep on producing a few exclusives for MS for a great many years.

I don't think MS is paying any cash TBH.

Top Bottom