• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

return20of20the20jediptkof.jpg

Anyone wanna shop some faces here and there

Loudninja

Ok updated numbers besides the PS4 for January.

US:
PS4: 2,003,000
Xbox One:1,960,000 *Jan estimate included*

UK:
PS4: 530,000
Xbox One: 364,000

Spain:
PS4:157,000
Xbox One:35,000

France:
PS4: 240k
Xbox One:126k

AU:
PS4: Outsold the Xbox One
Xbox One:65,917*first 3 days*

Germany:
PS4 250K
Xbox One 100K

Portugual:
PS4:21k

legend166

I thought that was comparable to post holiday Wii numbers.

Wii's first January was 436k (although it was a five week month). But at that point it was proper supply constrained, i.e. people still lining up out the door to grab one. I don't think the PS4 has hit that level of demand.

That PS4 number is quite good. It will be interesting to see how it goes for the next 6 months, because I don't think there's any real high profile software coming out (I don't think Infamous has real pull with the wider market).

And while it's way too early to pronounce the Xbone dead, I think we're getting evidence the market is going to go through some contraction this generation.

People will point to the Wii, and it's true a lot of the Wii's audience was new, but it also had a lot of those casual PS2 owners. And it doesn't look like they're coming back.

OneUh8

MS did this to themselves.... Higher price and not giving a fuck about the consumer base... I preferred the 360 last gen as a console. Sony won me and many others over this time around. They seemed connected with what we wanted and spoke directly to us. MS on the other hand did not care and said this is what we are doing and you will like it.

LOL @ people in this thread predicting doom still.

You do realize that even now PS4 is still far and away the best selling gaming platform in the history of the game industry, right? It may not hold that position forever but people predicting a collapse are morons. It's tracking more than 1 million units above the PS2 in the USA alone.

these kind of industry doomed posts probably come from the lot who want android and apple to take over.

fucking disgusting.

if you post how bad the industry is doing based on sales second only to the Wii, you need to have your head checked.

Pretty sure both the PS2 and the Wii blew 300k easy. It's less so that this January is awful, and more so that PS4 is performing pretty well, while the XB1 is flubbing hard. So the combined next-gen number doesn't look too hot.

PS2 sold less than that in Jan because of supply problems if i remember right .

OG Xbox - 127K first January

Xbox 360 - 249K first January

Xbox One - approx. 143K first January

At least it's doing better than the original Xbox! That's something...right?

GameCube - 62K
PS2 - 248K
Wii - 436K

TR was released at the very end of January.

Software sales are heavily front-loaded at launch, so the release date means next to nothing in a launch month. Tomb Raider released on the 28th--maybe it would have hit 8 or 9 on the Top Ten with an earlier date but that's it. It likely sold the majority of its first-month sales in those four days.

Cornbread78

Crackin' a fresh beer for this one.

I've a bad feeling it'll be the lowest month for Vita in a long time.

...maybe I need spirits.

ok, I laughed waay too much at this. To be honest, I haven't seen a single Vita on shelves since XMas. I'm assuming retailers were clearing stock for the 2k models... Besides, Sony just won't give up the numbers on anything...

The PS4 couldn't have sold more in the US than it did in January. There was no more supply.
I know. We just had fuzzy math for the other thread on PS4 sales doubling and I never expect One to be that low so I was thinking PS4 was at least 300k+ still not Wiilike, but very high for a supply constrained console.

quest

Not Banned from OT

You do realize that even now PS4 is still far and away the best selling gaming platform in the history of the game industry, right? It may not hold that position forever but people predicting a collapse are morons. It's tracking more than 1 million units above the PS2 in the USA alone.

Problem is 1 out of 3 is doing solid. The other 2 are in major trouble. This is not good at all for sales to drop off so fast. The pent up demand of a generation being 3 years late should of spurred sales much longer. This is not good I can imagine anyone making a next gen only title reconsidering it now.

lyrick

So if that XBO HW number is right then that means PS4 sold around <286k. Wii U first January: 55k, PS4: <286k, XBO: ~143k

That must sting for all those people who kept saying the Wii U's historic failure was a sign of things to come for the PS4/XBO.

I'm looking at January 2007 NPD sales of PS3, 360 and Wii and thinking the Industry is screwed.

All these numbers indicate to me is that any developer that's making a game exclusive to next gen machines is on suicide watch.

Prepare for a bloodbath of most studios closing their doors within the next two years.
What? They are both performing better than any of their previous iterations. This post is crazy town.

gioGAF

No one is talking about it but TR must have sold terrible. 10 overall behind all those old releases in a month it was the only new realse on both PS4 and XBO during a drought. Maybe it should be $30 after all.
I think the numbers only take into account 3 days of sales.

KoopaTheCasual

It's not doom, it's just that it looks like PS4 is the console keeping things going strong. People kinda wanted both to do well, but the PS4 to do way better out of the two. Not for only one to do well, while the other fizzles. It's hard to explain the feeling. I just want MS to bite the damn bullet, drop the price, and move more units.

Except the Wii made up the difference. There is no difference maker right now. Looks like will have the PS4 on top by mile but maket is going to have big time contraction.

I agree... but it's hard to make that claim with any certainty like 3 months into this thing. It's not like every generation follows the exact same sales pattern.

capture1n8j5p.png

Esteemed company there Xbox*

Oh, dear god, the WiiU had the BIGGEST drop? :O

Also, I'm...not particularly enthused about the PS4 barely outselling the PS3, which had worse software support, a much higher price point, and was such a laughingstock that even the Red Ring debacle couldn't stop MS's momentum. That's pretty dramatic shrinkage even when you put aside the Wii entirely. You'd never think we were just coming off the biggest--and longest--generation in history with those kind of numbers.

But man, I never would've expected the Xone to get outsold 2:1 by a supply constrained PS4 in the States. The most I expected was a slight advantage, since I didn't think they could even manage to ship much more than that. Titanfall just became a lot more important.

Fehyd

Banned
Software sales are heavily front-loaded at launch, so the release date means next to nothing in a launch month. Tomb Raider released on the 28th--maybe it would have hit 8 or 9 on the Top Ten with an earlier date but that's it. It likely sold the majority of its first-month sales in those four days.

It was very supply constrained (and still is actually). Stores in my district don't have a single copy of the game and haven't since almost release.

Problem is 1 out of 3 is doing solid. The other 2 are in major trouble. This is not good at all for sales to drop off so fast. The pent up demand of a generation being 3 years late should of spurred sales much longer. This is not good I can imagine anyone making a next gen only title reconsidering it now.

um nope. The ps2 era was completely dominant, same with ps1 and software development was as vibrant and varied as it has ever been in history.

I feel bad for the guys in MS PR. NPD used to be a time of happiness and celebration, but now...
Well, I don't. I seriously thought their PR statement was a joke post on GAF. If we caen get something like this in the first month of low sales, then I really want to see how creative they can be! :lol

knitoe

MS did this to themselves.... Higher price and not giving a fuck about the consumer base... I preferred the 360 last gen as a console. Sony won me and many others over this time around. They seemed connected with what we wanted and spoke directly to us. MS on the other hand did not care and said this is what we are doing and you will like it.

Talk is all great, but without the hardware to back it up, it means shit. If the X1 was more powerful than PS4, 1080p vs 720p and etc., Microsoft would still be in the lead. Once again, if both companies are providing the same experience and services, power does matter big time. Microsoft fucked up this gen.

Top Bottom