• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

harSon

Banned
Correct, it was a corporation ran entirely by the hardware/R&D guys who did that. The very divisions they're now shedding to move towards a more straight media and services company with select hardware offerings.

Sony kept themselves in-check throughout the PS1 era and the PS2 era. It wasn't until Ken Kutaragi and the engineering side really got carte blanche that they delivered the PS3. Prior to that it was a very comparable hardware concept to the PS4 with PS1 (straight forward, focus on a few key aspects in 3D and optical storage) and while the PS2 was convoluted hardware it offered significantly more power per dollar than other alternatives at the time, gave great developer freedom in hardware implementation, and absolutely raced to a mainstream price point compared to all it's predecessors. It also included DVD without forcing a subsidy and was the generation where Sony tried creating a mid-tier software market with $40 first party releases.

The people responsible for the good parts of the PS2 (first party growth, 3rd party openness) now run the show (namely Kaz Hirai) and the people who designed the PS3 are pretty much all out the door. The corporate culture has done a complete 180, assuming they'll somehow backslide in a single generation when the company is really looking at a 10+ year climb back to being any kind of corporate power is pretty absurd.

It's not absurd. It's business. When companies do well, they become complacent and greedy. When they fall on hard times, they become forward thinking and seemingly consumer friendly. It's the cycle of rich corporations. Compare Sony during the Playstation 1 & 2 cycles when they were unrivaled, to the Playstation 3, and then compare all of that to the Playstation 4 after they were humbled. Compare Nintendo's jump from the Wii/DS to the Wii U/3DS. Compare Microsoft during the Xbox's life cycle and the Xbox 360's lifecycle, and then compare that to now. You know how we shift back and forth between hating and loving Publishers like EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Capcom, etc.? This cycle is a big reason why.

Companies are in business for money. End of story. They're not your friend, and regardless of what they say, they don't give two shits about the well being of the industry outside of their own walls. And if left unchecked, they will exploit and short cut all avenues possible. It's a fact of life.

I really don't see how the Wii U makes it out of 2014. I mean, I know we have this preconceived notion of video game console life cycles, but it is selling like GARBAGE. Nobody is buying it. Third parties are gone, and the few that remain will likely leave by the end of the year. It's dead.

Abdiel

I can't say I'm really surprised. These numbers match the trends I've been speaking to from the numbers here in Best Buy sales/inventory. We have had the demand for the X1 seemingly plummet, and we can't keep the ps4 in stock. The anecdotal evidence some claim that it's easy to find a ps4 are effectively outliers. Even stores in Maine, with low population density and higher impact from weather, are selling out within the course of two days maximum, and stores near the mass border sell out within hours.

I'm wondering if Microsoft is in some kind of negotiations with our people to offer a deal like with Wal-Mart one. Lord knows those boxes aren't small, and when the local DC still is sitting on over 5500 of them... I can't imagine management is all that thrilled with the overstock situation. And even if we do start a sale like that, people haven't been on the fence about it, I don't think a single game free is going to suddenly reverse the public perception we're seeing in stores.

We'll see what happens, I guess!

Petrae

I really don't see how the Wii U makes it out of 2014. I mean, I know we have this preconceived notion of video game console life cycles, but it is selling like GARBAGE. Nobody is buying it. Third parties are gone, and the few that remain will likely leave by the end of the year. It's dead.

If Nintendo was to give WiiU the Old Yeller treatment, what then? The company winds up alienating consumers who spent $250+ within the console's 18-24 month lifespan and trusted Nintendo to produce. Nintendo also then forces its hand by accelerating post-WiiU console strategy, or limits revenue by losing a pillar of its business model.

Nintendo has to keep taking its medicine here and keep trying to make the best of a tough situation. There is still revenue to be made with WiiU, at the very least from the sector if consumers who bought in, and from new platform owners who buy in for Mario Kart 8 and/or Smash Bros.

Blowing up the WiiU, in my humble opinion, just isn't the best course of action. However, if retailers choose not to carry it because of flagging sales? Then the situation changes... and gets very difficult for Nintendo. Losing retailer support would be a tougher obstacle to overcome than poor third-party relations.

shandy706

Hella happy for the PS4, but I'm skeered to find out Wii U :(

Stood and contemplated buying a Wii U this past Tuesday. Ended up not getting it though. I left the store with only one purchase. I needed a second X1 controller to play some games with the wife.

I was close to +1'ing Nintendo...so close.

Naminator

Banned
Sega? Nintendo? Microsoft? You do realise that the PlayStation 2 didn't get created in a vacuum. Competition isn't the only thing that drives creative people. Inspiration, ideas and innovation are powerful too. That's how new things get invented.

Competition is what helps the money behind the inspiration focused.

Noone here is saying monopoly is a all good happy days. It just isn't always bad. Not if it still can stand the test of compitition. If we decided to outlaw other console makers after this gen it would be bad but literally anyone can create a console. And speaking of the state of internet in the United States, that's what you get without competition.

I'm not arguing that Xbone or anything else should be artificially prompt up, just for the sake of some competition, I'm perfectly fine with Xbone failing because Sony offered a better product than MS. I'm arguing against the notion that a single console market would be so much more beneficial and "help the industry to flourish".

How would Sony have a monopoly? Selling nearly 130M PS2's didn't assure the PS3 of success did it? This is a cyclical market. Monopolies do not generally exist in cyclical markets.

Having 80% of the market with the entire industry focusing ONLY on your product is nearly the same as having a monopoly.

Just FYI, Time Warner Cable is not my only option, I can still get myself DSL or dial-up internet if I wanted to, but that would be fucking stupid, just like getting anything other than the PS4 when the entire industry rotating around it.

As for the PS3, MS only managed to get ahead because it dumped a hillside worth of money on Xbox and Xbox 360, Xbox was nothing but a pure loss for MS, and Xbox 360 had to be rushed out the door to beat PS3 and also had to make up for the losses of the OG Xbox, so it's pretty safe to say that if Sony didn't majorly fuck up the PS3's design, which made it incredibly hard to work with for the devs, which made a lot of the multiplats worse, and made it extremely expensive, MS might have dropped out market and we would again be stuck only with what Sony has to offer.

This isn't even remotely analogous. You allow your local government to sell your freedom of choice out from under you in exchange for their short term gain, but your long term loss. Those contracts are extensive in length and almost always renewed, whereas a console generation is comparatively short (5-10 years), allows for a complete reset, and has no gateway to simply buy out consumer choice like telecoms can.

So you just assume that like any company will just jump in to the market every 5-10 years?
How many serious competitors did we actually have in the entire history of gaming? SEGA, Nintento, Sony, MS, who else?

Again, not analogous. Stop trying to act like this wildly off-base straw man is even remotely representative of a completely different market.
You only WANT believe that it's entirely off base!

I can also come up with 6 bullshit reasons why having TimeWarner as the only Internet provider in my area is a great thing, in fact I'm pretty sure that they had to come up with some bullshit reasoning for why they are great when they actually got the government subsidy in the first place, but that doesn't make them true, or void of any negative repercussions.

Dunlop

Stood and contemplated buying a Wii U this past Tuesday. Ended up not getting it though. I left the store with only one purchase. I needed a second X1 controller to play some games with the wife.

I was close to +1'ing Nintendo...so close.

My son actually called me downstairs to tell me "look dad, I'm playing lego undercover again!" to show me the WiiU was turned on (lasted 15 mins, went back to Lego Marvel on the PS4)

Everything about the WiiU is a trainwreck to me, I'm just waiting on a enevitable trade in console promo at EB Games where I will trade in the WiiU and PS3 to put towards a XB1

I found some numbers Spiegel.

NPD Group's 2007 US game industry sales as of the end of Dec 2007:

Nintendo DS: 17.65 million LTD
PlayStation Portable: 10.47 million LTD

3DS US LTD as of the end of Dec 2013 = 11.5 million LTD

NDS US launch (November 21, 2004) > December 31, 2007 = 1136 days [4 holidays]
PSP US launch (March 24, 2005) > December 31, 2007 = 1013 days [3 holidays]
3DS US launch (March 27, 2011) > December 31, 2013 = 1011 days [3 holidays]

Honestly 3DS US sales are not really that bad, it's PAL sales that are holding the system back.

ethomaz

Banned
PS2 (January 2001) - 248K

PS3 (January 2007) - 244K

PS4 (January 2014) - 271K
Ohhhhh that's really put in perspective how good PS4 is doing... January 2007 was a 5 weeks month... January 2014 a 4 weeks one... and January 2001???

In any case PS4 is doing far way better than previous generations.

kyser73

- Yusuf Mehdi

http://news.xbox.com/2014/02/xbox-one-january-npd

Presumably he's referring to people at the NSA.. How does he know what customers say to their XBones?

My guess would be buried away in the ToS agreement is some statement about the Xbone sending anonymised usage information back to MS (much the same way Windows & various other OS and cloud products like Drive do). I'm pretty sure the same thing happens with the PS4, and even the last gen - which is possibly how Sony got wrong-footed over the MP3 issue since their usage information across the vast bulk of PS3 owners showed low utilisation.

Corto

Yeah guys a monopoly will always make sure the consumer has the best deal!

I mean look at cable companies, I'm right now with Time Warner Cable, paying over 100$ a month for Internet Access that is literally 3 times slower on the download and 5 times slower on the upload than I could get from a competitor(I'm talking about Verison, having Google Fiber is nothing but a dream at this point) for the same exact price.

Thank God my area has only 1 dominant cable internet provider leading the industry forward, the consumer benefits are just awesome!

Even if Microsoft AND Nintendo get out of the business of home console there will never be a monopoly. A PS4 alone in that space would have to compete with Steam Machines, proper PCs and Tablets and Smartphones. Truth is that in todays day and age the market is not limited to Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony, so there will never be a monopoly. Customers today are consuming their video game entertainment from a myriad of sources.

Spiegel

I found some numbers Spiegel.

NPD Group's 2007 US game industry sales as of the end of Dec 2007:

Nintendo DS: 17.65 million LTD
PlayStation Portable: 10.47 million LTD

3DS US LTD as of the end of Dec 2013 = 11.5 million LTD

NDS US launch (November 21, 2004) > December 31, 2007 = 1136 days [4 holidays]
PSP US launch (March 24, 2005) > December 31, 2007 = 1013 days [3 holidays]
3DS US launch (March 27, 2011) > December 31, 2013 = 1011 days [3 holidays]

Honestly 3DS US sales are not really that bad, it's PAL sales that are holding the system back.

Thanks.

So after January 3DS is only ~0.9M ahead.

Yeah, I can't see 3DS having a bigger LTD in the US at the end of its life.

Z3M0G

If Sony would have shipped 500k units to NA during January, we could have been looking at 400-500k PS4 sales vs 143k XBO sales... heck, XBO might have been lower because people might have purchased PS4 instead of they could have found one.

Just think about that... and what the reaction would have been.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I'm not arguing that Xbone or anything else should be artificially prompt up, just for the sake of some competition, I'm perfectly fine with Xbone failing because Sony offered a better product than MS. I'm arguing against the notion that a single console market would be so much more beneficial and "help the industry to flourish".

Whatever "monopoly" Sony might end up with won't be that bad as it will last at most for 5 years and will come under fire from Steambox and whatever Amazon has cooking in far less time. I like the idea of Microsoft and Nintendo having to go back to the drawing board like Sony had to do after the PS3-fiasco. It will create a better market in the long run of having a dud every now and then.

If Nintendo was to give WiiU the Old Yeller treatment, what then? The company winds up alienating consumers who spent $250+ within the console's 18-24 month lifespan and trusted Nintendo to produce. Nintendo also then forces its hand by accelerating post-WiiU console strategy, or limits revenue by losing a pillar of its business model.

Nintendo has to keep taking its medicine here and keep trying to make the best of a tough situation. There is still revenue to be made with WiiU, at the very least from the sector if consumers who bought in, and from new platform owners who buy in for Mario Kart 8 and/or Smash Bros.

Blowing up the WiiU, in my humble opinion, just isn't the best course of action. However, if retailers choose not to carry it because of flagging sales? Then the situation changes... and gets very difficult for Nintendo. Losing retailer support would be a tougher obstacle to overcome than poor third-party relations.

Alienating what consumers? The few that have actually bought a Wii u? Who are probably all fairly die hard Nintendo fans anyway? Besides, it's not like Nintendo has to come out and issue a press release saying it's dead and make a show out of it, but the writing is on the wall. Behind the scenes they'd be smart to start reevaluating games they have in development and decide if they are worth continuing on the Wii U or if they should be either put on hold or moved to whatever Nintendo decides the Wii U's successor is going to be. Especially when you consider that one of their biggest flaws is software output. If they are going to release another console they need all the software they can get so that they don't repeat the same mistakes that 3DS and Wii U suffered from.

Thanks.

So after January 3DS is only ~0.9M ahead.

Yeah, I can't see 3DS having a bigger LTD in the US at the end of its life.

It absolutely won't. sub-100k numbers in January is downright depressing. Isn't this back to pre-pricecut levels? There's really not much Nintendo can do to offset the slide down. It's reaching for irrelevancy now which must be alarming, considering Nintendo is relying on the thing for profitability this year.

kyser73

Having 80% of the market with the entire industry focusing ONLY on your product is nearly the same as having a monopoly.

Just FYI, Time Warner Cable is not my only option, I can still get myself DSL or dial-up internet if I wanted to, but that would be fucking stupid, just like getting anything other than the PS4 when the entire industry rotating around it.

As for the PS3, MS only managed to get ahead because it dumped a hillside worth of money on Xbox and Xbox 360, Xbox was nothing but a pure loss for MS, and Xbox 360 had to be rushed out the door to beat PS3 and also had to make up for the losses of the OG Xbox, so it's pretty safe to say that if Sony didn't majorly fuck up the PS3's design, which made it incredibly hard to work with for the devs, which made a lot of the multiplats worse, and made it extremely expensive, MS might have dropped out market and we would again be stuck only with what Sony has to offer.

So you just assume that like any company will just jump in to the market every 5-10 years?
How many serious competitors did we actually have in the entire history of gaming? SEGA, Nintento, Sony, MS, who else?

You only WANT believe that it's entirely off base!

I can also come up with 6 bullshit reasons why having TimeWarner as the only Internet provider in my area is a great thing, in fact I'm pretty sure that they had to come up with some bullshit reasoning for why they are great when they actually got the government subsidy in the first place, but that doesn't make them true, or void of any negative repercussions.

You can't make a valid comparison between a fixed utility like cabled internet and a consumer product, they operate in two completely different ways.

Your argument about TW actually carries more weight with anyone who thinks that utilities generally - be it water, enegy or informational infrastructure - are poor value to consumer when owned by (technically) nationally competing but local monopoly players.

Ushiwaka

2nd January:

Wii (January 2008): 274K
PSP (Janaury 2007): 211K
N64 (January 1998): 162K
Dreamcast (January 2001): 100K
GameCube (January 2003): 81K
Wii U (January 2014): 49K
Sega Saturn (January 1997): 26K
Vita (January 2014): <17K

holy shit @ WiiU.
Can I hope for a massive price drop for it then?

Vita means LIFE!!!

1EyME7c.jpg

I don't think that anyone is surprised about the results of those numbers i.e. Sony 1st, MS 2nd.

However i think its too early to be drawing comparisons yet. I'm more interested in WW 1y sales/next Januarys WW sales data.

slit

Honestly, they're ALL in trouble somewhat. I'm sure PS4 will do alright, but MS/Nintendo are in trouble. Nintendo will stay in the game as long as they can, but who knows about MS. Nintendo needs a complete revamp in the console space, The Xbox brand has been tarnished and it's starting to show.

Ushiwaka

Based on what Iwata said earlier this month? don't count on it.

They're going to double down on the Gamepad instead.
Iwata said "we are not going to lower the price" a couple of weeks before the price drop, so I'm not going to trust Iwata on this.
don't think they want to lose more money.

If they weren't so stubborn with the gamepad, they could somehow manage to get rid of it and then with a price drop they would at least be losing less money.

Do we have the LTDs for both PS4 and One?

Yes.

PS4:
1138K November
863K December
271K January
=
2272K 3-month total

Xbox One:
909K November
908K December
141K January
=
1958K 3-month total

Wii U:
425K first November
463K first December
57K first January

223K second November
481K second December
49K second January

Between 2145K and 2155K LTD

It doesn't matter what the market is. It is a matter of self interest and generally once a business monopolizes a market they make moves that are less about creating value for the consumer and creating more profits for themselves. Read a history book or economics textbook. It's been recorded and observed for 100s of years how we act when we monopolize.

Modern companies like Google and Amazon who buck the trend in their own ways are only interpreting self interest in a different way. In the case of Amazon they don't care about structurally selling at a loss because by delivering on quality service they have grown rapidly as a company and see room to keep on growing as long as they can meet the demands of easy and fast deliveries and return claims.
Google sees that by avoiding abuse they can avoid unwanted regulations they didn't have to deal with before.

The situation from PS2-PS3 and PS3-PS4 is totally different!

As much as I personally see the PS3 as a success and have had it since very near launch I know that financially it was a huge disaster for many years for Sony and im very sure they are aware of it too.

I honestly don&#8217;t see the same situation happening ever again, well at least not until the whole management team are replaced over the years. Sony saw first hand what being proud and arrogant does to you as a console maker and considering their financial situation they will never want that to happen again.

I personally see that the PS4 will show them that their approach of being gamer friendly and priced correctly, with a fantastic pr campaign is what works and they will follow that formula until they decide to go the streaming route only through PSNow (Probably PS6 being a streaming box).

If Sony were to take the majority of the sales this Gen it would be good for everyone, even Nintendo and Microsoft who (as long as they can hold out this gen) will hopefully have learnt a lot from Sony&#8217;s success and emulate what made it to benefit themselves and us. As others have said, sales parity isn&#8217;t what competition is, its having winners and losers who adapt to changes in the market and try to do what&#8217;s best for everyone, not just their balance sheet.

Lady Gaia

Mangavox. Atari. Mattel. Coleco. NEC. SNK. Panasonic. Doubtless I'm forgetting some non-trivial players, but the list is a lot longer than you'd suspect. That's not even including recent players like Apple and Google and likely entrants like Amazon.

johnny956

Yes.

PS4:
1138K November
863K December
271K January
=
2272K 3-month total

Xbox One:
909K November
908K December
141K January
=
1958K 3-month total

Wii U:
425K first November
463K first December
57K first January

223K second November
481K second December
49K second January

Aquamarine is a god among us. I thought about finding these numbers and she responds immediately

What eventually caused the demise of the Virtual Boy? Is the Wii U heading in the same direction?

Nintendo quietly cancelled it after 8 months and it received no more first-party support after March 1996. Interestingly enough, Nintendo advertised two games for Virtual Boy at E3 1996, but they never materialised.

Virtual Boy's LIFETIME NPD sales are only 496K...so Wii U's LTD of like ~2150K has already sold more than 4x what Virtual Boy ever managed.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yes.

PS4:
1138K November
863K December
271K January
=
2272K 3-month total

Xbox One:
909K November
908K December
141K January
=
1958K 3-month total

Wii U:
425K first November
463K first December
57K first January

223K second November
481K second December
49K second January

Ok, then

Xbox One tie-ratio: 2.7
PS4 tie-ratio: 2.1

Total software sold Xbox One - 5,286,600
Total software sold PS4 - 4,771,200

The Xbox One total should exclude digital sales, since, using the tie-ratio provided back in December for retail + digital games (2.9) and the sales up to then (1,817,000), we had 5,269,300 games sold overall back then.

But we also know retail only sales

Aaron Greenberg &#8207;@aarongreenberg 1m
Some good #NPD SW facts: #XboxOne YTD 2013: 4.8M retail games vs. 4.2M for PS4. COD & BF4 both sold better on #XboxOne.

This means

January Xbox One software - 486,000
January PS4 software . 571,200

Ok, then

Xbox One tie-ratio: 2.7
PS4 tie-ratio: 2.1

Total software sold Xbox One - 5,286,600
Total software sold PS4 - 4,771,200

The Xbox One total should exclude digital sales, since, using the tie-ratio provided back in December for retail + digital games (2.9) and the sales up to then (1,817,000), we had 5,269,300 games sold overall back then.

But we also know retail only sales

This means

January Xbox One software - 486,000
January PS4 software . 571,200

To be more specific, as of January 2014:

PS4 tie ratio = 2.11

Xbox One tie ratio = 2.71

Top Bottom