• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2010

Cygnus X-1

Busaiku said:
I still can't see a Wii successor in 2011.
With most of their developers working on 3DS (which requires a similar cycle to Wii games), I don't see how they can churn out games for a Wii successor as well.

I just hope that Iwata is organizing the schedule better thanks of the increased hirings happened during last years. I mean: the fact that they're developing a new portable system should not prevent them to carry out R&D of the successor of their home system and also bringing it shortly to the market, if necessary. I mean, otherwise, in the end, what was all that money they've earned for?

farnham

Banned
Penguin said:
I could see Wii Relax coming out this year in Japan, but I don't think Nintendo needs it in the States/Europe for the end of the year.

I think their line-up is pretty well rounded as it is, and anymore games would just start to eat into itself.
well they lost 2 month to 360 in NA. nintendo should do something thats for sure.

WasteLand Soldier said:
its becoming more and more apparent that nintendo almost HAS to drop the price. yen be damned. hard call but what can they do?
i think they will drop the price

Penguin

farnham said:
well they lost 2 month to 360 in NA. nintendo should do something thats for sure.

They've lost two months to 360, and they lost what exactly?

In that time, all they really released was Sin and Punishment 2. You could make a case for Galaxy 2, but June was pretty close.

I mean its not like Nintendo's been hitting gamers over the head with reasons to own their console in those two months and 360 came out stronger.

I would say August as well, but Metroid's end of the month and I doubt it will move much hardware, but we shall see.

FoneBone

Penguin said:
I would say August as well, but Metroid's end of the month and I doubt it will move much hardware, but we shall see.
I doubt Metroid will move much software. :-/ (If it's good, I'd like to be wrong, and I haven't seen what they'll be doing with TV ads yet, but the franchise has never been as big as it deserves, and I don't see this changing it.)

jett

D-Member
Pagusas said:
Can a soccer fan please explain what is happening here

Korean coach is giving one of his players instructions, the guy from Ivory Coast is for some reason not only listening to the conversation but also acknowledging said instructions. :lol

farnham

Banned
FoneBone said:
I doubt Metroid will move much software. :-/ (If it's good, I'd like to be wrong, and I haven't seen what they'll be doing with TV ads yet, but the franchise has never been as big as it deserves, and I don't see this changing it.)
yeah it wont

it will probably reach sin and punishment 2/ excitebots numbers

jett said:
BEST Korean coach is giving one of his players instructions, the guy from Ivory Coast is for some reason not only listening to the conversation but also acknowledging said instructions. :lol
fixed

Cygnus X-1

WasteLand Soldier said:
its becoming more and more apparent that nintendo almost HAS to drop the price. yen be damned. hard call but what can they do?

Right now? Without any major releases? And with all the troubles they're having with foreign currency exchange? Not a chance my friend. Nintendo will drop the price only if stricly necessary and probably only a week before thanksgiving. I would also schedule Donkey Kong Country Returns for that period. Oh, and I would also prepare a special pack of Wii + Donkey Kong Country Returns + additional wiimote for 200$. It would sell like hotcakes.

This bring me memories of this control set:

a968707bb76cf9b4ef0b837c2c5de21e.jpg

Penguin

FoneBone said:

I'm almost certain Nintendo forgot they were releasing that game.

I mean it was minor, but when Galaxy 2 was launching, they had that entire Youtube channel which gave us tiny trailers like every other day for a month.

We've had what 3 Metroid trailers in the year since its been revealed.

No commercials.

No coverage on Nintendo Week.

jett said:
Korean coach is giving one of his players instructions, the guy from Ivory Coast is for some reason not only listening to the conversation but also acknowledging said instructions. :lol

I laughed way too hard :lol :lol

Rocksteady33

I love some of these members and try and pretend to be analysts and claim Wii needs a price drop. They are basically STILL riding on last holiday's lineup. Why the fuck would they need to drop the price? :lol

Cygnus X-1

farnham said:
it will probably reach sin and punishment 2/ excitebots numbers

This is way too pessimistic. After all, Metroid Prime sold in US 2 millions, Corruption sold 1 million and Fusion a little bit less. I expect Other M to reach at least the numbers of Echoes, i.e. more then 500k in the US.

But I agree that it will hardly move any hardware.

Rocksteady33 said:
I love some of these members and try and pretend to be analysts and claim Wii needs a price drop. They are basically STILL riding on last holiday's lineup. Why the fuck would they need to drop the price? :lol

Because Nintendo is too muc fu**** up by the foreign currency exchange problem and R&D of 3DS and Wii 2 to lower again its revenues.

Rocksteady33 said:

i know many of you dont think that HD matters but to be able to get a HD better than wii experience will be HUGE imo. nintendo will be fired upon from all angles.

Cygnus X-1 said:
Right now? Without any major releases? And with all the troubles they're having with foreign currency exchange? Not a chance my friend. Nintendo will drop the price only if stricly necessary and probably only a week before thanksgiving. I would also schedule Donkey Kong Country Returns for that period. Oh, and I would also prepare a special pack of Wii + Donkey Kong Country Returns + additional wiimote for 200$. It would sell like hotcakes.

This bring me memories of this control set:

a968707bb76cf9b4ef0b837c2c5de21e.jpg

this actually sounds like what will happen. they have to. the wont leave the price where it is for the rush. they just cant. MS will eat their lunch. If they do drop price and MS still wins? that will be megaton IMO. tide turning shit.

AniHawk

WasteLand Soldier said:
i know many of you dont think that HD matters but to be able to get a HD better than wii experience will be HUGE imo. nintendo will be fired upon from all angles.

this actually sounds like what will happen. they have to. the wont leave the price where it is for the rush. they just cant. MS will eat their lunch. If they do drop price and MS still wins? that will be megaton IMO. tide turning shit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MVonyVSQoM#t=24s

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
WasteLand Soldier said:
this actually sounds like what will happen. the have to. the wont leave the price where it is for the rush. they just cant. MS will eat their lunch. If they do drop price and MS still wins? that will be megaton IMO. tide turning shit.
You are very sure for Wii underperformance, Kinect huge success and 360 huge numbers this December. Things are not so simple.

wii's downturn in hardware and software is no secret. 360s upturn in hardware, consistant software sales and the positive reception of kinect is no secret. its really simple actually.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
WasteLand Soldier said:
wii's downturn in hardware and software is no secret. 360s upturn in hardware, consistant software sales and the positive reception of kinect is no secret. its really simple actually.
In your mind maybe it's simple, reality is different.

Cygnus X-1

Chris1964 said:
You are very sure for Wii underperformance, Kinect huge success and 360 huge numbers this December. Things are not so simple.

About Kinect, he did not realize what a 150$ price point really means. It will sell well at launch, but after that I doubt it will last without a major price cut. Mostly if Wii will really be sold at the same price!

:lol wtf every month for the past how many months have analysts given their explaination of the NPD numbers and blamed the drop in revenue on nintendo? come on. 360 and ps3 are pretty much proping game revenues up at this point.

Cygnus X-1 said:
About Kinect, he did not realize what a 150$ price point really means. It will sell well at launch, but after that I doubt it will last without a major price cut. Mostly if Wii will really be sold at the same price!

i totally see MS dropping the price of the 360 in february/march. if not that you'll see $25-$50 rebates like you see every year. Maybe even this holiday.

AniHawk said:

:lol :lol :lol yuck it up now.

onipex

farnham said:

They were also up yoy for the last 3 months. Much less this month but still up. It would be interesting if the Wii stayed slightly up yoy into the holidays.

[Nintex]

Mattrick:
anhbpt.gif

He was right during that crazy GTTV interview. "We've got a new box, a new Halo and a Kinect!" They've got 2010 hook, line and sinker unless Nintendo pulls out something out of their hat.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Expected somewhat higher for DQ9, guess I always had wishful thinking... but oh well. At least it charted, unlike Sin and Punishment 2. People don't know what they're missing... guess licensed games, sandbox snorefests and sports will always dominate in US.

Also sad to see the PSP keep failing... I finally upgraded to a 3000 recently, the system is having its best year in a long while. Yet nobody seems to care.

onipex

WasteLand Soldier said:

Wii's downturn is that its hardware sales are more on par with the 360 and PS3. So it only sells like noraml console now. That is very bad. As far as software sales go the Wii is still pretty high in that department despite not having any big software releases in a while.

Do you notice that when there are less high profile software releases for the HD twins that the Wii usually has more software in the top 20?

The 360 has had a great two months thanks for the slim and price drop but you sound like the PS3 fanboys when the slim came out for the system. Lets see how the next few months and holidays play out. Things are at least a little interesting again.

kinggroin

Banned
Momentum. That's what's key here; especially moving towards the end of this generation.

Really, the last thing Nintendo needs is for Microsoft to start building the kind of momentum during a Nintendo sales downturn, that can give them the mind share they need to compete with them next generation. It wont matter if Nintendo sold 10x more consoles than Microsoft, if the market they created starts to believe Kinect is the next Wii.

Great sales for the Xbox. Software sales weren't outstanding this month and I think the market is starting to slow down with regards to the yearly sports titles. NCAA 11 is probably better than any other version on this generation, but its sales are inferior- I think the football titles, more than anything, may be dealing with a market that is starting to not see the need to buy games every year.

:lol at the PSP- my big ole original PSP is still sitting here. Were it not for homebrew, it would have been in the trash. Even then, I only use it when I'm taking long train rides.

Sydle

[Nintex] said:
No not really but still, everyone said 'lol MS' and somehow their half-assed strategy worked.

What part of their strategy was half-assed outside of their casual tactics?

Boney

Banned
Four_Chamber said:
:lol at the PSP- my big ole original PSP is still sitting here. Were it not for homebrew, it would have been in the trash. Even then, I only use it when I'm taking long train rides.
Good for you there champ!

Eteric Rice

Busaiku said:
I still can't see a Wii successor in 2011.
With most of their developers working on 3DS (which requires a similar cycle to Wii games), I don't see how they can churn out games for a Wii successor as well.

Hasn't Nintendo been growing as a company the last few years? Opening up new studios and what not?

Paco said:
What part of their strategy was half-assed outside of their casual tactics?

MS launched a console with a historic failure rate and slapped a 1 billion dollar band-aid on it, has had non-competitive pricing on their memory cards and HDDs (dual meaning since they locked out 3rd party solutions), had a terribly overpriced wireless solution, set the record for the longest console intro without a price drop (before the Wii broke it), introduced an SKU mid-gen that actually drove the price UP, allegedly alienated MMO developers with draconian revenue-sharing demands, irked numerous PC devs with their insistence on screening post-launch content, sent 3 consecutive AAA Rare titles to die by releasing them in the most crowded month of the year with minimal advertising, they murdered and dismembered the devs behind some of their most beloved PC and console franchises, and overpriced their new casual HW peripheral by at least $50.

It's a miracle that they've been this successful thus far, and it almost seems like luck.

If I have one consistent criticism of MS it's that the platform doesn't seem to have a clear vision - shit just seems to be thrown about at random. While I do think that Kinect will be at least a decent success, I don't think MS 'gets' why that is...which is why they have day 1 DLC on one of the launch games.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
MS launched a console with a historic failure rate and slapped a 1 billion dollar band-aid on it, has had non-competitive pricing on their memory cards and HDDs (dual meaning since they locked out 3rd party solutions), had a terribly overpriced wireless solution, set the record for the longest console intro without a price drop (before the Wii broke it), introduced an SKU mid-gen that actually drove the price UP, allegedly alienated MMO developers with draconian revenue-sharing demands, irked numerous PC devs with their insistence on screening post-launch content, sent 3 consecutive AAA Rare titles to die by releasing them in the most crowded month of the year with minimal advertising, they murdered and dismembered the devs behind some of their most beloved PC and console franchises, and overpriced their new casual HW peripheral by at least $50.

Outside of the bolded, these are complaints about a bunch of irrelevant and petty things when it comes to selling consoles.

WillyFive

Some people here deserve my tag more than I do.

The Wii is doing better than this time last year, and you guys are saying it's crashing and burning and free-falling to it's death....

Yes, I realize this is the usual mood swing at this time of year, but I'm getting tired of it. I still believe that industry insiders read these boards, and they are getting bad information from us, while those who might need some insight into their marketing in here, and can't find it because we are talking about something else.

But that Donkey Kong Bundle does sound good....

Willy105 said:
Some people here deserve my tag more than I do.

The Wii is doing better than this time last year, and you guys are saying it's crashing and burning and free-falling to it's death....

Yes, I realize this is the usual mood swing at this time of year, but I'm getting tired of it. I still believe that industry insiders read these boards, and they are getting bad information from us, while those who might need some insight into their marketing in here, and can't find it because we are talking about something else.

But that Donkey Kong Bundle does sound good....

If industry insiders are relying on an Internet message board to learn how to market their products, the industry is more fucked up than I thought. If that's the case, let's hope they are smart enough to sort out the few intelligent posts from those by the loony fanboys.

Sydle

Sho_Nuff82 said:

It's a miracle that they've been this successful thus far, and it almost seems like luck.

If I have one consistent criticism of MS it's that the platform doesn't seem to have a clear vision - shit just seems to be thrown about at random. While I do think that Kinect will be at least a decent success, I don't think MS 'gets' why that is...which is why they have day 1 DLC on one of the launch games.

• RROD was a mistake, but it wasn't part of their strategy
  • They made a lot of money off those accessories, including the wifi solution
  • Why drop the price when the hardware keeps selling?
  • It keeps outselling the PS3 in NA, so upping the price worked out just fine
  • Live is not an open service, its high quality continues to draw in gamers
  • Rare's games were good, but let's not lie to ourselves that they had any chance of reaching massive success
  • Bungie wanted to leave, so they let them; don't know about Ensemble or FASA, but did either of them really have the pedigree to fill MS's portfolio and expand their audience past the hardcore?
  • Kinect is off the table, because we don't know how it will do

I think Microsoft has handled their hardcore audience from the first Xbox incredibly well. They were first out of the gate, they've developed strong relationships with third party developers, developed the leading console online-experience, and made Live into a revenue machine. They have grown over last generation 100%, they're making profit now, and everything is going up and to the right.

Their support behind Kinect has been impressive. It seems they really believe in it to capture the casual market. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

AniHawk

miladesn said:
Did anybody post top 20 in this thread? I couldn't find it
sorry if old
top-20-july-2010.png

RDR LTD 2.7m

That means the PS3 version has to be around 1.2-1.3m.

er, I mean the PS3 version of RDR

WillyFive

Little Green Yoda said:
If industry insiders are relying on an Internet message board to learn how to market their products, the industry is more fucked up than I thought. If that's the case, let's hope they are smart enough to sort out the few intelligent posts from those by the loony fanboys.

A game forum is a great way to get opinions and a view on what gamers want, because that's how gamers communicate with each other. They get to see what they want.

Other industries don't have that luxury, they are always guessing or have to use market research that is limited at best. But for the game industry, the audience is telling you what they want in a neat and ordered fashion right in your computer screen.

Although this method doesn't work for the casual audience, it does if they want the core audience. Which a lot, including Nintendo recently, are still interested in.

Willy105 said:
This month, perhaps (and really, it's flat more than anything), but 2009 vs 2010 YTD we have...

2009: 3.28m
2010: 2.71m

What's bad about those numbers is that in September 2009 the price was dropped on the Wii by $50 to $199 (Edit - It seems the RRP is now actually $179 in a lot of places, I didn't know there was a second cut)... so realistically the sales should be at least flat for the year to date, certainly not down. These last couple of "increases" month vs month (09 vs 10) will evaporate in September assuming Nintendo doesn't have a major hardware sales generator.

Same actually goes for the PS3 in terms of monthly comparisons to last year (the slim released last September so the reasonable sales this year will no longer be comparable to the horrible pre-slim figures of last year).

Basileus777 said:
Outside of the bolded, these are complaints about a bunch of irrelevant and petty things when it comes to selling consoles.

I'd say that MS has made many decisions that have handicapped the 360's maximum selling potential (key ones being LIVE pricing and console pricing) that have been for the sake of profitability. But none of these decisions exist in a vacuum.

The only reason they've been able to get away with most of it is because Sony made a catastrophically bad decision with the launch price of the PS3 and some of the quirky functionality of early PSN. If the 360 slim had not launched when it did (or sometime this year), MS would have had to seriously consider an immediate price drop to stem the bleeding of their marketshare.

That's been the story pretty much the entire generation - MS is content with whatever level of sales they have as long as they are equal or greater than the PS3, especially in North America. Up until the announcement of Kinect, every move they've made has been to eat Sony's lunch, completely ignoring Nintendo aside from pimping the occasional lipservice titles of Lips, Scene It, Rock Band, and Rare games. The $299 Kinect bundle is the only indication that MS seems somewhat ready to explore this new marketing segment, the standalone price is almost as big of a joke as the HD-DVD drive.

Top Bottom