• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2010

larvi said:
Are the people buying them because they are HD or because of the large screen size, smaller form factor or just because everyone else has them?

Bingo. I don't think any of us need to, once again, go into depth about how many friends and neighbors we've all seen with HDTVs and HD Cable boxes watching SD stretched content on them.

Celine

Vinci said:
I'm assuming WSR has finally reached near saturation of the Wii market prior to the release of its bundling - it finally is not in the Top 20.
Uh, I though WSR bundle started in May ...

Frillen

Nintendo cleaning up the charts!

I've completely forgotten, but what month was it that Nintendo lowered the price on the Wii?

Edit: 14 titles above 100k? That's pretty good actually. I remember there was a July month a few years ago that only had like 7-8 titles that sold over 100k.

Wii hd meaning Wii2. There's no reason for nintendo to do anything before Sony and MS do and they won't. Outside of a Wii price drop It's all downhill for them. They have nothing to fight with outside of software and that's why you see them going back to their core games. Good for us but i just don't see that owner that only bought Wii fit buying kirby. They'll make a boatload of cash on 3ds but imo console wise they are done until Sony and MS make a move.

Pureauthor said:
Because it has been statistically shown that the vast majority of HD players are being used to watch SD content.

It's amazing how people will look right at a mountain of data and go, "meh".

Go with what feels right flyinpiranha!

farnham

Banned
WasteLand Soldier said:
Wii hd meaning Wii2. There's no reason for nintendo to do anything before Sony and MS do and they won't. Outside of a Wii price drop It's all downhill for them. They have nothing to fight with outside of software and that's why you see them going back to their core games. Good for us but i just don't see that owner that only bought Wii fit buying kirby. They'll make a boatload of cash on 3ds but imo console wise they are done until Sony and MS make a move.
there cant be so many people that only bought wii fit.

wii fit sold like 30 million (incl. wii fit plus) so thats about half of the userbase worldwide.

Cheech

OldJadedGamer said:
Perception only matters to fanboys on forums. No matter who finishes second, the same games are going to be made for both systems this gen and they will both be on equal footing with third parties when next gen starts.

I think a lot of this has to do with how Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo configure their next gen systems. Part of the reason the 360 has the best multiplatform games is because the 360 is the strongest development platform of the 3.

If Sony learns their lesson and ships complete SDKs on a timely fashion, and doesn't needlessly complicate the hardware, they have a genuine shot at being chosen as the lead platform for a lot of these third party games. Also, they will make themselves more attractive for smaller development houses who don't have programming wizards on staff to compensate for the difficulty that is developing for the PS3.

However, we all know where some of the best and brightest software developers work today, and it's not at Sony.

The most interesting "next gen" console is going to be whatever Nintendo puts out. If they do it quickly, and at least a year before anyone else, they could very well put Sony (and possibly MS) out of the console business. A WiiHD bearing a Blu Ray drive and semi-recent hardware would be an attractive proposition for both gamers and developers.

Imagine the best Call of Duty in a given Christmas being on the WiiHD? How about if the new "next gen" Madden engine debuts on the WiiHD?

I know some of this is wishful thinking on my part; Nintendo's interest seems to be going after customers who haven't previously picked up a gaming controller more than the hardcore gamers. But there is zero reason it can't wrap both up.

I always marvel at people who insist Nintendo doesn't need to launch a new system because the Wii is still doing fine with sales.

The DS was doing, err, finer than the Wii currently is and they came out with a new system, anyway. Capitalizing on a strong system is knowing when you've hit the climax, not riding it out until there's no blood left in the stone.

Owzers

Revolver said:
SMH at the bump for MW2 on the 360 and PS3. Did I miss something? New users on both systems buying the game or what?

The benefit to having a large install base playing online is the continuation of new users buying the game after release knowing that there will be people playing and talking about the game still.

Branduil

I think it would be best for Nintendo to come out with the Wii 2 next year if possible. I mean what do they have left to release for Wii after Zelda?

DMeisterJ

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
I see it like when the Master System sold really well in Europe way back when. As a NES player in another country, this meant nothing to me as a kid and didn't change anything.

All systems next gen will be on equal footing and there will be no preconceived winner like there was before this gen started. No matter who comes in second place, nothing will change besides a PR bullet point for Sony and forum posters who claimed that the PS3 would dominate before it was even released will now "serve crow" to some imaginary posters who they feel say the PS3 was doomed.

Aside from the whole 'imaginary' thing (PS3 doome people were definitely real), I agree with the whole statement. Places haven't mattered since about 2007 when it became clear that no matter how bad the PS3 was doing, it was still getting major third-party support.

farnham

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I always marvel at people who insist Nintendo doesn't need to launch a new system because the Wii is still doing fine with sales.

The DS was doing, err, finer than the Wii currently is and they came out with a new system, anyway. Capitalizing on a strong system is knowing when you've hit the climax, not riding it out until there's no blood left in the stone.
also ds launched in 2004

nobody is saying that nintendo never will release a console ever again.

its just that 2011 seems to be too soon. 2012 japan and 2013 worldwide seems to be more likely

Sammy Samusu said:
Isn't Wipeout that Bethesda big Wii game?
wheelspin-deboule-sur-wii-L-1.jpeg

Cheech

Revolver said:
SMH at the bump for MW2 on the 360 and PS3. Did I miss something? New users on both systems buying the game or what?

The 360 bump is due to new users "jumping in" with the new 360 model (and old model firesale), and the PS3 bump is due to those poor users having to wait a month for the last map pack, which IIRC dropped in July. CoD map packs always spur the sales of that series.

farnham

Banned
Branduil said:
That would be a horrible decision.
nintendo still has the 150 and 100 price drop option

the wii is in its fourth year. there is no reason for the wii to have a shorter lifespan then the gamecube.

Branduil said:
I think it would be best for Nintendo to come out with the Wii 2 next year if possible. I mean what do they have left to release for Wii after Zelda?
wii sports 3, wii fit 3, mario kart wii 2, new super mario bros 2, maybe starfox, fzero, pikmin 3

Vinci said:
Seriously. Even people who have HDTVs and a HD game system often don't use the proper cables. It's a moot point. Most people don't care about HD.

But not knowing and not caring are two separate things. Like I said, in retrospect my analogy isn't the best with HDTV sales because like someone already mentioned it's all that's out there.

I just wouldn't discount the "mainstream's" desire for HD content. Whether they know the difference between HDMI, AV, or Component cables isn't really the discussion I was bringing to the table.

farnham said:
also ds launched in 2004

nobody is saying that nintendo never will release a console ever again.

its just that 2011 seems to be too soon. 2012 japan and 2013 worldwide seems to be more likely

This is a good point. I always forget that the DS is 6 years old now ... and by the time the 3DS comes out I think it will be closer to 7, while the Wii is barely 5 years old now.

I don't know, I just have a sneaking suspicion that we will see the next Wii before any of the other consoles.

Mrbob

Cheech said:
The most interesting "next gen" console is going to be whatever Nintendo puts out. If they do it quickly, and at least a year before anyone else, they could very well put Sony (and possibly MS) out of the console business. A WiiHD bearing a Blu Ray drive and semi-recent hardware would be an attractive proposition for both gamers and developers.

Imagine the best Call of Duty in a given Christmas being on the WiiHD? How about if the new "next gen" Madden engine debuts on the WiiHD?

I know some of this is wishful thinking on my part; Nintendo's interest seems to be going after customers who haven't previously picked up a gaming controller more than the hardcore gamers. But there is zero reason it can't wrap both up.

I don't know how any of this can help the Wii anymore. The system may be selling well, but it has issues. There is a misnomer about the reason why people buy the PS3 and 360. Yes it helps they are more technologically advanced, but it isn't the only reason. Also, I don't see any Madden fans clamoring to play Madden with the wiimote, neither do I see Call of Duty fans wanting to play it with anything other than analog sticks. Beyond this, a reason these games sell is due to having functional online setups. 360 is more advanced, but PS3 online is not terrible. Is Nintendo going to have online access as advanced as even the PS3 with their next system?

I'm trying to figure out how Nintendo can effectively bring over the typical 360 and PS3 gamer at this point, because I don't see it.

Sadist

ShockingAlberto said:

And that's why I'm in the Wii 2 for Q4/2011 Q1/2012 camp.

Branduil

farnham said:
nintendo still has the 150 and 100 price drop option

the wii is in its fourth year. there is no reason for the wii to have a shorter lifespan then the gamecube.

wii sports 3, wii fit 3, mario kart wii 2, new super mario bros 2, maybe starfox, fzero, pikmin 3
2013 is 3 years from now. 3 years. The Wii is already slowing down, particularly in Japan, and you think Nintendo will stretch this out for 3 more years? Not to mention that by then Sony and MS would be coming out with new systems by then as well.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Branduil said:
2013 is 3 years from now. 3 years. The Wii is already slowing down, particularly in Japan, and you think Nintendo will stretch this out for 3 more years? Not to mention that by then Sony and MS would be coming out with new systems by then as well.
I try to understand where this comes from. Japan will be possibly the only region this year that Wii won't decline.

Pociask

Looking at that Top 20, man Mario is a pimp. His latest two console offerings, top 10. His going on 5 year old handheld kart racer, top 20. His more than 2 year old console kart racer, top 10.

It's too bad that Mario's success appears to have gone to Nintendo's head and they think ALL of their titles are evergreen.

Interesting generation.

All three pieces of hardware up YoY but the market leader up by the tiniest amount and got outsold two months in a row by the 2nd place console. Software sales have flatlined to a degree I honestly didn't expect on the market leader while they have risen quite a bit on the 2nd and 3rd place consoles. Not enough to make up the huge loss of Wii software, but a lot.

Interesting generation.

Cheech

Mrbob said:
I'm trying to figure out how Nintendo can effectively bring over the typical 360 and PS3 gamer at this point, because I don't see it.

We hardcore gamers who buy 50 games a year do not have infinite amounts of patience. If there is a system out there more technologically advanced than what I have now, and the games blow away what the PS3 and 360 are doing, well... I found a new console.

Sure, most of us who have spent years casting scorn on the Wii and Wii users will have to swallow a respectable amount of pride, but the sweet graphics are worth it. :lol

_Alkaline_ said:
How is the PS3 going against the 360 worldwide?

Obviously it's winning in Japan, but how is its performance in Europe? I was under the impression that its doing very well in some countries whilst the 360 is thriving in others.

You ask, we respond.

NPD

NPD_thumb.jpg

Nintendo

28l.jpg

19l.jpg

Media Create

Media+Create_thumb.jpg

Cygnus X-1

Vinci said:
Wii Party ain't going to do much relative to the sort of software that has sold the system in the past though. The game will likely sell, but push the system at new users? Not so much.

I would not be so sure. Many said the same thing about Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus and Wii Sports Resort.

Probably Wii needed the Vitality Sensor this holiday. Too bad the peripheral got canceled.

Sadist

Cygnus X-1 said:
I would not be so sure. Many said the same thing about Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus and Wii Sports Resort.

Probably Wii needed the Vitality Sensor this holiday. Too bad the peripheral got canceled.
Nope, it's still alive. Somewhere.

farnham

Banned
Cygnus X-1 said:

wut ?

IG: I guess one last question, while we still have time... We have not heard a peep about the Vitality Sensor. What's going on with it?

Reggie: We made a conscious decision recognizing the excitement this show generates and the excitement that our product lineup generated not to show the Vitality Sensor because inherently that product is about relaxation and getting in touch with your body and, you know, to take someone like yourself who’s running from interview to interview and it gets you to relax for thirty minutes before you’re even ready to participate in the game, we just didn’t think would be a great way to show it off. The product continues very well with its development, and we will showcase it; we’ll do it at a very unique event. We just didn’t want to have it be here in an environment where it really wouldn’t be best displayed.

Vitality sensor could be released this year.

Branduil

Chris1964 said:
What does this have to do with Wii slowing down?
Well, not so much slowing down as unable to keep the competition down. I don't think Nintendo would just keep plugging along with the Wii if the PS3 starts to consistently outsell it in Japan.

Curufinwe

CadetMahoney said:
Maybe, except for those who always expect a rocky-esque comeback. I hear "lineups for 2011" is what's hot in the streets.

How about you find and link to some of these posts where people claim the PS3 is going catch the 360 in the US.

We don't have any Euro numbers since the launch of the 360 slim other than the UK, where Chart track claims the launch was larger than the PS3 slim.

Cheech said:
We hardcore gamers who buy 50 games a year do not have infinite amounts of patience. If there is a system out there more technologically advanced than what I have now, and the games blow away what the PS3 and 360 are doing, well... I found a new console.

Sure, most of us who have spent years casting scorn on the Wii and Wii users will have to swallow a respectable amount of pride, but the sweet graphics are worth it. :lol

If the next Nintendo console doesn't have an online system at PSN level or better, it still won't matter, sparks or not.

Nintendo's hesitation on a serious storage solution and an online infrastructure of any kind are probably its biggest limitations on grabbing the other half of the console marketshare, not HD.

5 months straight of XBL pts cards at #1, and COD jumping back into the top 10, should paint a pretty clear picture of what that segment of the market wants. The question is, does Nintendo actually want that part of the market? They certainly don't need them to run a profitable business.

evangd007

ShockingAlberto said:

Amen. Look at the PSP to see how mindshare can erode if a platform outstays its welcome.

I also don't understand why people seem to think that Nintendo will release anything in Japan during the holiday season but miss it in North America. It is far more important to get the hardware out in NA before the holiday than it is Japan.

Boney

Banned
Cygnus X-1 said:

Wii Fit Plus and Wii Sports Resort didn't exactly move a lot of consoles though. They certainly helped get out of a software slump though.

And the official line is that Vitality Sensor is still on track, they just decided not to show it at E3. It could very well be canceled or moved, but officially, it's still there.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Branduil said:
Well, not so much slowing down as unable to keep the competition down. I don't think Nintendo would just keep plugging along with the Wii if the PS3 starts to consistently outsell it in Japan.
Why not? The only reason would be so as to not lose mindshare - however the massive downturn for the PS3 this generation shows that mindshare isn't everything. The reason I think we will see a new Wii sooner rather than later is that the Wii won't be getting any cheaper to make. They can launch hardware 2-3 times the power of the 360 at $250 and still make a profit - and that profit margin will only increase as time goes on. They stick it out with the Wii and they are going to see their profits stagnate and slowly dry-up.

Vinci

Danish
flyinpiranha said:
But not knowing and not caring are two separate things.

I agree, but there's some linkage between the two. If I cared about something enough, I'd learn about it. If HD were the primary selling point in a consumer purchasing a TV, don't you think they'd have done even a smidgen of research as to what that actually means and how to make it work? I'm not saying people could never care about HD - I'm saying those TVs are not selling because they're HD.

@ ShockingAlberto: I agree that Nintendo needs to bring out a new console within the next year or two... IF they're out of gas on ideas for the Wii. Hell, they probably need to anyway, though I wonder if the Wii's successor could ever get the sort of 3rd party attention the 3DS is likely poised to. Doubtful.

Cheech said:

What I find hard to imagine is a dev dumping the truckloads of cash to push out a game at launch for any console existing only on paper. MS/Sony are in a good or better place now only after years are can't be gun-ho on wanting to make another machine.

Nintendo packs it's own lunch so making the software to sell the hardware at launch is normal.

Will Wii 2 be just a HD + improvements to some things? Wireless nunchuck, robust online, M+. Hard to say what game or games can ignite sales to a degree close to Wii.

Or do they have a rabbit out of the hat like Wii was or 3DS will be where just getting the concept into game form can sell it?

Thankfully they have ignored the 2010 Wii HD nonsense and hopefully it is on the merits not just timing. They shouldn't feel pressure now even if that big idea hasn't become practical. They have little worry from MS/Sony for some time. 2 years from now would be good if they can show magic at e3.

farnham

Banned
comedy bomb said:
I wonder if it's possible for the 360 to surpass the Wii for this year. That would be interesting.
unlikely due to holiday

Boney said:
Wii Fit Plus and Wii Sports Resort didn't exactly move a lot of consoles though. They certainly helped get out of a software slump though.

And the official line is that Vitality Sensor is still on track, they just decided not to show it at E3. It could very well be canceled or moved, but officially, it's still there.
4 million units were sold in december alone. that number was due to the combination of wii fit plus, wii sports resort and new super mario bros.

flyinpiranha said:
I'm not saying that EVERY person uses HD on their TV's but we completely underestimate the "wow" factor people get in a store.

No, you just have the ignorant idea in your head that people are wowed by tiny pixels and accurate picture reproduction when actually it's well-proven that what wows people at the store is a) flatness, b) wideness, and c) face-melting brightness.

jvm said:
I bet most of those people have digital cable.

Yup. Of course, part of the reason is that cable companies purposely fudged the lines, knowing that people would make this mistake.

In my experience, most HDTVs in houses of people above 30 are not correctly configured to receive HD signals from things unless the person is an AV nerd or they've had a person under 30 configure it for them; most people over 30 will more often than not select the wrong version of the channel (via the "lower numbers are better/easier to remember" rule of thumb) unless a young person has trained them carefully to do otherwise.

Cheech said:
If they do it quickly, and at least a year before anyone else, they could very well put Sony (and possibly MS) out of the console business.

I don't get your ordering here. Sony has more skin in the game than Microsoft and much more reason to tough it out in the console world when the going gets tough.

I know some of this is wishful thinking on my part; Nintendo's interest seems to be going after customers who haven't previously picked up a gaming controller more than the hardcore gamers.

That's certainly not a very accurate description of their 3DS strategy.

farnham said:
2012 japan and 2013 worldwide seems to be more likely

Not to anyone who's seriously thought it through.

Mrbob said:

Imagine gamers as a pyramid. There are a shitton of extremely casual gamers who buy like one game a year at the bottom and a tiny peak of ultra-hardcore players who buy 50 games a year at the top, and then a wide range in between.

Between them, the 360 and PS3 have narrowed in on the hardcore market at the very top of the pyramid, the people who buy tons of games and accessories and DLC and so on, while Nintendo have captured the very bottom, and both of them have kind of left the middle part open.

Nintendo's correct strategy for next-gen is to go after that middle, which is like ten thousand times easier to capture working from the bottom up (as they successfully did on DS, and are advancing further on with 3DS) than from the top down.

Chris1964 said:
I try to understand where this comes from. Japan will be possibly the only region this year that Wii won't decline.

Wii went from selling outrageously well to selling okay to selling kind of poorly very early on in its lifespan Japan and since then has managed to maintain consistently mediocre numbers that are above its worst point, while in the US it sold "well" for ages and just now is declining. So its actual local delta is trending downwards in the US and steady or very slightly upwards in Japan, but its been off its game for a while in Japan.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Nintendo's hesitation on a serious storage solution and an online infrastructure of any kind are probably its biggest limitations on grabbing the other half of the console marketshare, not HD.

This is definitely true.

Top Bottom