• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2010

Babalu.

Mama Robotnik said:
npdcomvic1.gif

hahahaha!

goldenpp72

Paracelsus said:
Well, since PS3 is saved by now I guess you can call that a cheap attempt at sad trolling spicing things up.

i think being in a healthy third place coming off being the king by 6x last gen isn't quite what most people had in mind when proclaiming a 'savior', however, at least the ps3 model seems profitable now.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The fact that Mario Galaxy 2 is beating NSMB Wii makes me happy. I liked both games, but hopefully SMG2 has legs.

Majine

Banned
I hope this is correct then. (YoY)

1. Xbox 360 443 500 (+240 600, ↑119%)
2. Nintendo DS 398 400 (-140 500, ↓26%)
3. Wii 253 900 (+1 400, ↑1%)
4. PlayStation 3 214 500 (+92 700, ↑76%)
5. PSP 84 000 (-38 800, ↓32%)

Cheech said:
And damn them for putting that series on the PSP. Just damn them.

They must have been under contract from Sony cause they are just killing the game off by the systems they are putting it on. Then again, when has Sega ever made good logical decisions?

Wow at 360. I had to read the numbers 3 times for the full enormity of them to sink in. It is great seeing Crackdown 2 doing well, such a great game.

OldJadedGamer said:
They must have been under contract from Sony cause they are just killing the game off by the systems they are putting it on. Then again, when has Sega ever made good logical decisions?
M&S. :lol

Frillen said:
When did Nintendo drop the price on the Wii?
Last year.

Lindsay said:
DQVIII FFXII demo?

Well yeah the expectations were low that was the point on Ninty publishing and advertising wasn't it? Plus it was $5 cheaper then DQIV/V and released in a month void of big game releases as the top 10 shows. I dunno I was just hoping for something bigger I guess.
Talking about western sales not just US. I'm not sure how much DQ8 has sold in the west, but I know its a puny number.

YAAAAAAY DQ9 :D

I think this is almost certainly the highest-ever post-"Dragon Warrior" debut for the series, and could very well (given the huge promotion on the Nintendo Channel, the giant standees still present in all my local Gamestops, and so on) even not be the only month the game sells well. (I got mine in NPD August.)

[Nintex] said:
Still strange that Nintendo is replacing this:
Nintendo DS 398.4K

Instead of this:
Wii 253.9K

No, it really isn't.

Firestorm said:
So we only get top 5 numbers now?

We haven't gotten top 10 numbers for like six months.

jetjevons said:
Did Ninty throw some marketing dollars behind this or has word of the series finally reached our shores?

TV commercials starring Seth Green (and shown fairly often, as I understand it.) Insane number of videos plastered all over the Nintendo Channel. Giant standees in Gamestops like you'd see for a really big, popular game. No Square-Enix tax. :lol

lawblob said:
Do we have first month #s for DQ5 or 4?

No, but we know that the lifetime shipments for Dragon Quest 4 in the US were 110k, and DQ5's were 60k.

Paracelsus

OldJadedGamer said:

The game sold well on PS3, too bad they thought it was a good idea to cash on the success (?) of the anime, hence the PSP idea: short dev time so they could release it sooner, cheaper dev costs and supposedly more profit. Too bad not the whole fanbase agreed.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Majine said:
I hope this is correct then. (YoY)

1. Xbox 360 443 500 (+240 600, ↑119%)
2. Nintendo DS 398 400 (-140 500, ↓26%)
3. Wii 253 900 (+1 400, ↑1%)
4. PlayStation 3 214 500 (+92 700, ↑76%)
5. PSP 84 000 (-38 800, ↓32%)

Same numbers I got.

Rainier

goomba said:
I wonder how many people are upgrading from Arcade/20Gig 360's to the new one?
Considering that MW2 (360) made it back into the top 10, I think it's safe to assume that a large majority of the 360 sales last month were to new users.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Chris1964 said:
How can anyone forget this game (June 29 but still)?

N3II: Ninety-Nine Nights

I didn't even know this came out.

Looking over the July releases I can't see anything with a chance at making top 10 that didn't. Slow month.

Rainier said:
Considering that MW2 (360) made it back into the top 10, I think it's safe to assume that a large majority of the 360 sales last month were to new users.

From the wrong audience (in Microsoft's current plans), if this is true.

points cards being the best selling accessory for the 5th month in a row bodes very well for XBL. thats alot of space bucks being thrown around.

metareferential said:

no. that bump will start happening this month with the $199 version which raises the question...where the hell are these new buyers coming from? graduating from wii? ps2 holdovers?

Rainier

metareferential said:
Ha, you're right!

WasteLand Soldier said:
where the hell are these new buyers coming from? graduating from wii? ps2 holdovers?
There were still some old arcades being cleared out last month, that's when I finally got around to buying my own 360. Acecdotal evidences FTW*.
* ©2010 - Frillen

dolemite said:
never mind, that was the black Wii with odd clearance sales here and there.
Yeah in-store sales and such happen all the time, there's only been one official price drop.

Gravijah said:
PSP staying consistent!
The PSP line is pretty much a mirror of the PS3's. :lol

goldenpp72

metareferential said:

Yes i'm sure microsoft wants the core gamers to stop buying xbox while kinect burns up the charts, even if it isn't out yet, that's why they released the new slim 360 without kinect months earlier, to sell kinect.

i assume that's what you meant. I suppose the fact tons of hardcore games have released and sold well this year on the system means they don't want those sales, i think the entire point of expanding audience is because they think their current is becoming saturated.

goldenpp72

SteelAttack said:
Impressive 360 numbers. It will be interesting to watch if Microsoft can keep this pace/momentum.

i think the slim 360 can at least ride the wave through august, halo reach and the reach slim xbox will probably keep it up through september and october, and with other titles launching in october (fable 3 I think) and then the typical holiday boost all consoles get, I think MS has the rest of the year in america pretty well taken care of.

that's not even factoring kinect since I don't know how that will do.

seady said:
Good Job DQ

and wonder how many of those 360 are actually from new users. I know a lot of people rebought the 360.

Inevitably a used traded in console (I assume most upgraders got rid of the old anyways) goes to a person that could have bought one new instead, i think ultimately people who buy multiple new consoles (like myself) take some of the heat for people who want to buy a console for less (used) but I think in consoles case, it balances out pretty well.

I've bought like 3 360s over the years, the old ones get sold to people while I add another to npd, heh.

seady

Good Job DQ

and wonder how many of those 360 are actually from new users. I know a lot of people rebought the 360.

Littleberu said:
Why? You think FPS fans aren't profitable for Microsoft?

goldenpp72 said:
Yes i'm sure microsoft wants the core gamers to stop buying xbox while kinect burns up the charts, even if it isn't out yet, that's why they released the new slim 360 without kinect months earlier, to sell kinect.

i assume that's what you meant. I suppose the fact tons of hardcore games have released and sold well this year on the system means they don't want those sales, i think the entire point of expanding audience is because they think their current is becoming saturated.
Today 01:25 AM

That's not what I meant, nor is it what I wrote.

Of course new customers are welcome, it is dumb even debating on this.

Plus, I was just being ironic.

The point is: I was just questioning Ms's ability to broaden its audience.

Mrbob

metareferential said:

MS needs to hold onto their fairly large core base. If they lost them the system would be crippled even if Kinect became a big success. Reliable purchasing prowess is a nice benefit to control.

Edit: You can question it all you want, but 5 years into the life cycle the console is getting a sales boost. Honestly that aspect is pretty crazy to me, especially since it is still $299 for the real 360. I'm now pushing back my new console forecast to 2014. :lol

goldenpp72

metareferential said:
That's not what I meant, nor is it what I wrote.

Of course new customers are welcome, it is dumb even debating on this.

Plus, I was just being ironic.

The point is: I was just questioning Ms's ability to braoden its audience.

I question their ability to broaden the audience as well, but if MS could do nothing but release shooters and outsell the wii i'm sure they wouldn't care, since they can't, they will expand in new areas while maintaining the old, MS isn't dumb enough to forsake the people who DO make them money, I bet nintendo would still love to have the pie they don't have even if they are whooping everyones ass.

What other major releases were out there in July? I think I only picked up Arc Rise Fantasia with Dragon Quest IX of course.

Also, I wonder how much Singularity sold. Activision sent this game to die.

Glad for DQ IX! Which means we'll eventually get DQVI soon! :D

Top Bottom