• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2010

BishopLamont said:
I'll agree it won't be a visible bump, but I can't agree with the notion that "every Halo fan has the 360 already", new fans are born everyday.

Subtle "Halo is for teh kiddies" bash, nice

I'm just kidding

Rainier

timetokill said:
Could happen, but I doubt it. I think that if Nintendo is still selling the same amount of Wii consoles as they were last year, and without any significant new software, then they're probably thinking they can ride out another month or two and get into the lucrative fall/holiday period without a price drop.

If they're feeling aggressive I could see a price drop heading into late October/November, but I think if they can they want to wait until next year (spring) to drop the price in a significant way, and make way for a successor platform either that holiday or the next year.

I agree, I don't think they'll lower the price until 2011. Nintendo cares more about profits than marketshare, and I'm sure would settle for selling less units at a far higher margin.

Dreohboy said:
Fuck the 360, but that GIF and those numbers kick ass.:D
2ic1ic9.jpg

PantherLotus?

timetokill said:
Subtle "Halo is for teh kiddies" bash, nice

I'm just kidding
:lol

Majine said:
That was the first Halo game on the 360. I'm not saying it's not gonna bump, just don't expect anything like that.

It's always difficult to give that bump a value.

In september '07, the 360 was at 500k with Halo 3's lauch (which included a dedicated SKU as well).

This month it's ~450k.

Of course Reach is going to push that even further.

It's a safe bet that Reach will move more consoles than Halo 3 did.

Even if it is mainly due the new slim boost (hence the difficulty in quantifying the sales boost).

Nintendo Sells More Than 650,000 Hardware Units in the U.S. in July

Nintendo sold more than 650,000 video game systems in July – more than any other company – according to the independent NPD Group, which tracks sales of video game products in the United States. The Nintendo DS™ family of systems sold nearly 400,000 in July, and Nintendo’s Wii™ console marked its 45th consecutive month of more than 250,000 units sold with July sales of nearly 254,000. These tallies bring the 2010 U.S. sales totals through the end of July for Nintendo DS to more than 3.4 million and Wii to more than 2.71 million.

Five of the top 10 best-selling games of July play on Nintendo systems. These include Super Mario Galaxy™ 2 for Wii at No. 4 with more than 192,000 sold, LEGO® Harry Potter™: Years 1-4 for Nintendo DS at No. 5 with nearly 142,000 sold, LEGO® Harry Potter™: Years 1-4 for Wii at No. 7 with more than 133,000 sold, DRAGON QUEST IX®: Sentinels of the Starry Skies™ for Nintendo DS at No. 8 with more than 132,000 sold and New Super Mario Bros.™ Wii at No. 9 with more than 128,000 sold.

Exclusive games for both Wii and Nintendo DS this fall and holiday season from both Nintendo and its third-party publishers demonstrate Nintendo’s commitment to provide unique game experiences that are only available on Nintendo platforms.

Some Wii-exclusive games on the horizon include Metroid™: Other M launching on Aug. 31, Samurai Warriors™ 3 on Sept. 27, Kirby’s Epic Yarn™ and Wii Party™ this fall, and Donkey Kong Country™ Returns, FlingSmash™ and PokéPark™ Wii: Pikachu’s Adventure for the holidays. Upcoming third-party Wii games include New Carnival Games® from 2K Play, NBA JAM from EA Sports, GoldenEye 007™ from Activision, Just Dance® 2 from Ubisoft, Disney Epic Mickey from Disney Interactive Studios and Sonic Colors™ from SEGA.

For the Nintendo DS family of systems, Professor Layton and the Unwound Future™ launches on Sept. 12, Pokémon Ranger™: Guardian Signs this fall and both Golden Sun™: Dark Dawn and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™: Mini-Land Mayhem for the holidays. Some top third-party games coming this fall include Super Scribblenauts™ from Warner Bros. and Rock Band® 3 from Electronic Arts/MTV.

For more information about Nintendo, visit http://www.nintendo.com.
Full PR.

:lol @ the Nintendo Family. First time they've done it?

Dreohboy said:
Nope. Saw the GiF posted here and borrowed it. :D
Oh right, PL's avatar is zoomed in on the middle chick.

goldenpp72

Didn't halo 2 cause the xbox to outsell ps2? Halo 3 also outsold halo 2, so it's difficult to predict what will happen. Basically, the halo series hasn't gone down in appeal and has always caused a spike despite not being the first. And another thing to consider, halo reach will be marketed to hell and back and the userbase on 360 is I think nearly double the original xbox by now, I think the xbox brand is quite a bit stronger now.

KingDizzi

Banned
Gonna go out on a limb and say that Halo: Reach will have the best first week and month for a single console ever! :O

Great to see DQ doing so well, extensive advertising increases sales. Double :O

Paracelsus

goldenpp72 said:
Didn't halo 2 cause the xbox to outsell ps2? Halo 3 also outsold halo 2, so it's difficult to predict what will happen.

One question:

Is it a given the fact that people (not true Halofans, just random gamers who happen to like shooters) are aware that Halo: Reach is more like a Halo 4 and much less like a Halo: ODST?

KingDizzi said:
Gonna go out on a limb and say that Halo: Reach will have the best first week and month for a single console ever! :O

Great to see DQ doing so well, extensive advertising increases sales. Double :O
Not very fair to pit software against hardware.

Paracelsus said:
One question:

Is it a given the fact that people (not true Halofans, just random gamers who happen to like shooters) are aware that Halo: Reach is more like a Halo 4 and much less like a Halo: ODST?

That's something we should ask Microsoft's marketing campaign.

Paracelsus said:
One question:

I think so. With ODST people who skipped it only saw the map packs as valuable and waited until they came out as DLC. With Reach, its a brand new game!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Holy shit, never thought I'd see the day when Nintendo would have to resort to pulling out the family card.

goldenpp72

Paracelsus said:
One question:

I don't know a single person who isn't aware reach is basically 'halo 4', everyone knew what odst was.

AniHawk

July and August are some of the slowest months of the year, so the 360's numbers numbers are even more impressive than they would normally be. I'm surprised to see DQIX hit the top ten, too. DQVIII debuted at something like 80k+ and finished somewhere north of 500k.

I don't think DQIX will have the same legs, what with Golden Sun 3 hitting during the holidays and the 3DS hitting not long after (and aside from that, DS games rarely have official price drops like DQVIII did).

goldenpp72 said:
everyone knew what odst was.

I think the fact that it was called Halo 3: ODST told people it wasn't a full sequel. Reach won't have that particular problem, and the new multiplayer will help it a lot.

Prax

BishopLamont said:
Full PR.

:lol @ the Nintendo Family. First time they've done it?

Oh right, PL's avatar is zoomed in on the middle chick.

Am I blind? Where does it mention "Nintendo Family"?

I only see them mentioning "Nintendo DS Family", which makes total sense.

Otherwise, yay for DQIX. That game deserves it.

Great sales for the 360. I am very surprised it surpassed DS sales!

ReBurn

Gold Member
Dude Abides said:
I really wonder how many 360 sales are first-time owners vs. upgraders.

I always find it interesting when people try to distinguish between the two, like an upgrade sale should be counted differently than a new sale or something.

If I were a billionaire I'd buy a million 360's. I'd do it for two reasons:

1. To see the resulting flamewar in NPD threads and
2. To see the fanboys squeal about how North America doesn't equal the world and that the PS3 still wins.

The next month, I'd buy a million PS3's for pretty much the same reason.

Then the following month I'd return every stinking one of them and see if the numbers for 360 and PS3 went negative. Because I think that would be the ultimate troll of both groups of idiots.

ReBurn said:
I always find it interesting when people try to distinguish between the two, like an upgrade sale should be counted differently than a new sale or something.

If I were a billionaire I'd buy a million 360's. I'd do it for two reasons:

1. To see the resulting flamewar in NPD threads and
2. To see the fanboys squeal about how North America doesn't equal the world and that the PS3 still wins.

The next month, I'd buy a million PS3's for pretty much the same reason.

Then the following month I'd return every stinking one of them and see if the numbers for 360 and PS3 went negative. Because I think that would be the ultimate troll of both groups of idiots.
You're so cool, dude.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I think the Kinect 4GB 360 bundle is going to do gangbusters this Christmas.

RSTEIN said:
Holy shit, never thought I'd see the day when Nintendo would have to resort to pulling out the family card.
OldJadedGamer said:
LOL, Nintendo family. You know they are not happy if they are pulling that old hat out.
They didn't. It's 'Nintendo DS' family. It makes sense to group DS Lite and DSi together, like how Apple boast about the number of iPods sold as opposed to individual skus. It's not like they grouped DS and Wii together.

Striker

Paracelsus said:
One question:

The ads we've seen haven't given any indications it's a game based off Halo 3's coding or design.

When they see space combat and other items, it should give a rather large notice.

So Dragon Quest didn't bomb, actually it did well, that's great news. Let's see if it will have legs or not. DQVIII's first month was lower but ended up more than quintupling it. But that was because the game had massive price drops due to overshipping.

Also the the slim 360's are flying off shelves, but the Wii needs some help though.

Mama Robotnik said:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f227/mappster41/npdcomvic1.gif

What movie is this?

Impressive 360 numbers. It will be interesting to watch if Microsoft can keep this pace/momentum.

Isn't the bump largely due to the price drop of the old SKUs, and not slim sales? I know GAF will never be able to understand this, but the average consumer's heart doesn't go aflutter at the news of a smaller Xbox. $150 360 Arcades probably made up the lion's share of sales, and once those are gone, 360 sales will likely go down to their normal levels, at least in relation to the other 2 consoles.

Top Bottom