• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2010

FrankT

Accessories

"The Xbox 360 1600 point card was the best-selling accessory SKU for the fifth consecutive month. The general success of the Points and Subscriptions cards category within Accessories points to the activity that is happening in the industry outside the traditional retail channel."

Another point here as they have to be making a real killing off Live.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Jtyettis said:
Another point here as they have to be making a real killing off Live.

For sure, I wonder if that includes the Call of Duty branded cards. Either way I'm sure a lot of people, especially the kiddies with no CCs, buy them to get those Modern Warfighter map packs that are always at the top the DLC sales charts.

Majine

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Holy shnikes at the Xbox 360 numbers. With Halo Reach next month it's going to be scary.

Also, =( at the PSP numbers.

I am not so sure Halo Reach will move consoles that much. You'd think all the Halo fans are having an Xbox by now.

dolemite

Majine said:
I am not so sure Halo Reach will move consoles that much. You'd think all the Halo fans are having an Xbox by now.
By the same token, Call of Duty shouldn't spike the hardware, yet it dutifully does every year.

bill0527

Boney said:
You act as if that was surprising... and as said above it didn't even do a million.. geez

It sold a million.

Blizzard had a press release 48 hours after the game launched saying that they sold a million within the first 24 hours.

There were also over a million people on the new Battle.net the night the game launched.

This NPD chart only tracks brick-and-morter retail stores. It doesn't count digital downloads, and Blizzard had SCII available for digital download the day it launched. Apparently they sold a shitload of digital downloads out of their own store.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I'm really happy for Crackdown 2, coming in after NCAA is no shameful spot, I expected worse actually...

360 being a monster, and with Modern Warfare 2 back in the top ten is a good sign that the 360 buyers were new...

Despite how good XBLA games sell, it's funny that I've never though about how good the point cards themselves sold, so that really puts it into perspective for me...

Rainier

Sammy Samusu said:
Maybe it's the Kinect interest heating things up.
This I doubt. Outside of the gaming press and sites like NeoGaf, who else knows about Kinect? Neither of those audiences are standing by waiting for a casual HD gaming experience.

Paracelsus said:
Casuals don't go to pick up a console three months before the launch of its peripheral.
This also.

Paracelsus

Rainier said:
This I doubt. Outside of the gaming press and sites like NeoGaf, who else knows about Kinect? Neither of those audiences are standing by waiting for a casual HD gaming experience.

Casuals don't go to pick up a console three months before the launch of its peripheral.

Rocksteady33

bill0527 said:
It sold a million.

Blizzard had a press release 48 hours after the game launched saying that they sold a million within the first 24 hours.

There were also over a million people on the new Battle.net the night the game launched.

This NPD chart only tracks brick-and-morter retail stores. It doesn't count digital downloads, and Blizzard had SCII available for digital download the day it launched. Apparently they sold a shitload of digital downloads out of their own store.

Were they claiming 1 million WORLDWIDE?

bill0527

Rainier said:

I would tend to agree with you.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the opposite is true either.

Remember how most of us non-hardcore Nintendo fans laughed at the Wii before it was released?

I'm also one of the morons who thought people wouldn't pay for map packs and shit like horse armor and shiny outfits.

Nothing should surprise me anymore.

Snuggler said:
Oooh, forgot this was today. Kind of a ho-hum list, especially the software numbers but whoa @ the low number of Wii's sold. Yeah it's a slow month but that's a big drop off. I'm sure things will pick up again this holiday season with the great games coming out over the rest of the year.

Grats to 360, the sole survivor of this month.

Oh yeah and DS, too, I take it's ass kicking for granted since it's so consistently solid.

The Wii actually sold just a little bit more this July than last July.

Boney

Banned
bill0527 said:
It sold a million.

Ok that wasn't my point.

Rainier said:

I saw a regular Macy's clothing commercial centered around Kinect the other week. It was pretty bonkers.

bill0527

Rocksteady33 said:

I can't find the press release, but I know that over 1 million people were on the new Battle.net on launch night and battle.net is split up by region. I'm in North America.

Vorg

Banned
Skilotonn said:
360 being a monster, and with Modern Warfare 2 back in the top ten is a good sign that the 360 buyers were new...

Why does it matter if the buyers themselves are new users? Are people going to keep their older models or toss them in the trash? I'd say most likely no.

"Guys, why are they replacing the platform that came out in 2004 and not 2006?"

"9 percent increase YoY? Wii am dead"

"LOL PS3, you couldn't maintain your Slim bump. :lol Conversely 360 slim bump will live forever!"

And so forth.

Rainier said:

This also.
I like that in your scenario, the hardcore would definitely not get a slim ahead of time for Kinect. You never know, unfortunately.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Majine said:
Halo 3 was released almost 3 years ago. Some of them might have already sold their box for quick cash.

Rainier

bill0527 said:
I would tend to agree with you.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the opposite is true either.

Remember how most of us non-hardcore Nintendo fans laughed at the Wii before it was released?
I meant as in moving units now,beforeKinect is released. I have no doubt MS will ramp up the marketing (which they do very well) and it will, at least temporarily, give the 360 a boost. And ya, I was also one of those that laughed at the Wii when it was first announced.

Rainier said:
Wasn't that the first Halo released for the 360?
If you follow the logic that every Halo fan should have the system by now then you can apply that logic that every shooter fan should have the console already. Of course that doesn't make sense or reality. All big games sell consoles, it might not be a huge bump but also sells the system over time.

Oh and yeah I forgot that it was the first Halo released. :lol

Hawk269

I was not off when I talked about when the new 360s came out that it was outselling the PS3 2to1 and at some placed 3to1. Looks like I was "kinda" right!

markatisu

Rocksteady33 said:

1.8m Worldwide in 24hrs not counting Korea but counting digital sales according to the press release if I remember it right

Most of that was in the US

Finalow

Lebron said:
2wqwpw0.jpg
:lol :lol

Kifimbo

bill0527 said:
I can't find the press release, but I know that over 1 million people were on the new Battle.net on launch night and battle.net is split up by region. I'm in North America.

Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that StarCraft(R) II: Wings of Liberty(TM) achieved a day-one sales milestone of more than 1 million copies sold worldwide, making it the best-selling PC game of 2010 within its first 24 hours of availability.* The game went on to sell a total of more than 1.5 million copies in its first 48 hours, setting the record for fastest-selling strategy game of all time.*

farnham said:
so.. will we see a wii pricedrop this year ?

Could happen, but I doubt it. I think that if Nintendo is still selling the same amount of Wii consoles as they were last year, and without any significant new software, then they're probably thinking they can ride out another month or two and get into the lucrative fall/holiday period without a price drop.

If they're feeling aggressive I could see a price drop heading into late October/November, but I think if they can they want to wait until next year (spring) to drop the price in a significant way, and make way for a successor platform either that holiday or the next year.

markatisu

Kifimbo said:

Knew it was 1m +

I am sure it has sold at least 1m in the USA by now

There were 1.25m on battle.net in North America the day the game launched though, that is what the servers reported

Majine said:
That was the first Halo game on the 360. I'm not saying it's not gonna bump, just don't expect anything like that.
I'll agree it won't be a visible bump, but I can't agree with the notion that "every Halo fan has the 360 already", new fans are born everyday.

Top Bottom