• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2013 [Up2: 3DS Minimum, AC:NL, LM2/NSMBU LTDs, Xbox 360]

Baleoce

I'd say Pachters 3DS/DS comparison was encouraging not underwhelming, surely? The handheld market (both mobile and dedicated) is a lot more fragmented now. 1.5 mil difference doesn't sound like much after 29 months. Arguably the system is not even in full stride yet either. Got that Pokemon demographic to come.

Darryl

Banned
EarthBound launched July 18 for the Virtual Console service on the Nintendo eShop for Wii U and is off to a great start. Only two eShop titles, New Super Luigi U and Pikmin 3, generated more consumer spend in the same time period since launch.

this spin makes my head hurt. does it mean earthbound moved more copies then pikmin?

GulAtiCa

Kind of crazy that SMT IV made the Top 10 based on SKUs.

Lugi's Mansion seems to have sold 70K in this period based on LTDs for this month and last month, although that includes digital sales (I'm assuming digital sales this far in would be pretty small, but that could be wrong). If the games that would have made the Top 10 list on an individual SKU list were given in order (meaning SMT>LM>GTA), than maybe a little bit more than that?

Even if it was lower, it would have to at least be in that general vicinity.

If it actually sold like 70k, that would be amazing and a huge success for Atlus I think.

onipex

I know Lego Batman 2 released for the Wii U at the end of May, but that can't be the reason it is in the top ten right.

ASIS

this spin makes my head hurt. does it mean earthbound moved more copies then pikmin?

No, it means EB is number 3 if we only look at the suggested period, with NSLU and P3 taking the first two top slots.

EDIT: at least that's what I understood, now my head is hurting as well.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Sounds like more revenue not copies

If we are to take the sentence at face value, then I would say it is talking revenue, yeah. Who knows if we can take it at face value, though?

They are making fun of Nintendo for mentioning Earthbound, a Virtual Console title.

Oh, I see. Well, the release of Earthbound was kind of a big event for Nintendo fans, so it doesn't seem out of the ordinary for me. It's not like any games were actually released for Wii U during July, anyway.

Coolwhip

Banned
I'd say Pachters 3DS/DS was encouraging not underwhelming, surely? The handheld market (be it mobile or dedicated) is a lot more fragmented now. 1.5 mil difference doesn't sound like much after 29 months. Arguably the system is not even in full stride yet either. Got that Pokemon demographic to come.

Was thinking the same thing. But I guess he needs to put a negative spin on it for his Twitter followers.

Bruno MB

On a single-SKU basis, SMTIV, Luigi's Mansion, and GTA IV: Complete Edition would all have made the top 10.

The way this is written may suggest that Shin Megami Tensei IV sold more than Luigi's Mansion 2, we know from Nintendo PR that Luigi's game sales are about 70,000 units.

This is just speculation, so take it with a grain of salt.

DaBoss

I first guessed 107K for 360, but I changed it to 110K. D:

I know Lego Batman 2 released for the Wii U at the end of May, but that can't be the reason it is in the top ten right.

Unlikely if looking at the order the platforms are listed.

EDIT: 70K+ would be good for SMTIV right?

Sandfox

I wonder how SMT performed compared to Fire Emblem.

SMT isn't going to get anywhere close to FE.

The way this is written may suggest that Shin Megami Tensei IV sold more than Luigi's Mansion 2, we know from Nintendo PR that Luigi's game sales are about 70,000 units.

This is just speculation, so take it with a grain of salt.

Well I guess that means it opened better than P4G.

iammeiam

Pretty sure it means more money was spent on NSLU and Pikmin since Earthbound's launch, but other than those two more money was spent on Earthbound than anything else on the eShop. Which admittedly doesn't mean much because of pricing variations.

Madouu

It's not even really a spin. The way to spin it favorably would've been to talk solely about units moved since earthbound at a lower price point would probably fare more positively than in pure revenue.

Like a poster said earlier, it's really an odd metric to use.

if they're pointing out revenue instead of copies sold, does it mean earthbound moved more but pikmin3/nslu earned more money? it's confusing phrasing but maybe i'm just reading into it too hard

We can't know for sure without further data. It is very possible if it's trailing closely those two.

I'd like to know too but I'm not sure if we ever will.

GulAtiCa

if they're pointing out revenue instead of copies sold, does it mean earthbound moved more but pikmin3/nslu earned more money? it's confusing phrasing but maybe i'm just reading into it too hard

I'm pretty sure the "only 2 eShop titles" and the Earthbound sentence before it are unrelated.

Hmm, they say "only 2 eShop titles" and mention Pikmin 3, guess they are only talking about digital copies and not phyiscal.

sajj316

I'd like to know what's coninuing to push Xbox 360 as the top console month over month. Is it Kinect, cheaper console, COD friendly machine ... what is it?!?

Adding Minecraft ... Is that game selling consoles??

FZZ

Banned
For reference from the Pachter tweet April 2007 which would've been the DS' 29th month had the launch of Diamond and Pearl.

Also can anyone get the LTD of the DS at that point and subtract 1.5 million to get the 3DS' current LTD?

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I can't help but be incredibly impressed by Minecraft XBLA. Microsoft really scored when they scooped that one up.

I remember people saying that anyone who wanted to play it had it on pc, and it was going to flop on 360 due to it being inferior... What a crazy world lolol

lefantome

I'd say Pachters 3DS/DS comparison was encouraging not underwhelming, surely? The handheld market (be it mobile or dedicated) is a lot more fragmented now. 1.5 mil difference doesn't sound like much after 29 months. Arguably the system is not even in full stride yet either. Got that Pokemon demographic to come.

It's a lot comsidering the us only, also the ds was competing with the gba in the first two years, then he took off.
The 3ds, after the abysimal start, was above the ds at the same time, now it's going down(despite the small increase yoy this month)

The handheld market today is only a fraction of what it was in 2007. Pokemon will help the 3ds a lot but the ds numbers are impossible. Depending on how pokemon will perform, it could sell around 70 millions

ASIS

I'd like to know what's coninuing to push Xbox 360 as the top console month over month. Is it Kinect, cheaper console, COD friendly machine ... what is it?!?

It's the most convenient of the bunch. PS3 has its stigma around it, Wii is out of the market... what else to choose?

JABEE

Adding Minecraft ... Is that game selling consoles??
Price and Content?

Metallix87

The handheld market today is only a fraction of what it was in 2007. Pokemon will help the 3ds a lot but the ds numbers are impossible. Depending on how pokemon will perform, it could sell around 70 millions

Everyone knows that DS numbers are almost impossible. I'd say most are hoping it hits or surpasses GBA numbers.

Yeah there's no way for prices to be as high as they are and not see some damage. I only hope they haven't done permanent damage to the industry because their seems to be a lot less enthusiasm for console gaming right now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'd say Pachters 3DS/DS comparison was encouraging not underwhelming, surely? The handheld market (both mobile and dedicated) is a lot more fragmented now. 1.5 mil difference doesn't sound like much after 29 months. Arguably the system is not even in full stride yet either. Got that Pokemon demographic to come.

The main downside is that the DS had a very slow start, and that Reggie was bragging about being 1 million ahead of the DS for quite some time.

It's the DS Lite part of the DS lifecycle kicking in.

That said they're not dire numbers by any means. GBA would be a solid performance.

Madouu

SMT isn't going to get anywhere close to FE.

Well I guess that means it opened better than P4G.

Talking about first month here, if it's 70k excluding digital that's awfully close to half of awakening's opening. I would have laughed at you if you suggested that to me a few months ago.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
People forget that this is when the DS ascended to insane Heavenly Figures, which closed on 150 million. You'll never see those numbers for any console again without some industry earthquake of change, and 3DS is most likely going to sell around GBA lifetime numbers all said and done (maybe a bit beyond depending on revisions and the length they want to leave it on market).

Good news for Nintendo sticking around as a hardware manufacturer, bad news for that market clearly having shrunk by at least half when you consider the total disappearance of PSP sales on top. Now the struggle to ensure it doesnt erode even further next-gen and Nintendo gives people enough reasons to want dedicated handhelds.

Top Bottom