• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2013 [Up2: 3DS Minimum, AC:NL, LM2/NSMBU LTDs, Xbox 360]

Metallix87

Because no one is waiting at the edge of their seat for a 30 dollar price drop, and like i said it hurts nintendo more than helps to price drop when itsselling so little and the price is this low.

I dunno, I still think lower income families are likely to want it more at $99 or less.

So SMT4 has the chance to outsell everything although FES may be difficult.

I dunno, I still think lower income families are likely to want it more at $99 or less.

The PS2 sold most of its post 99 dollar sales outside of america. There is not a huge market for such a small price drop and if they are actually serious about helping wiiu the longer the wii is a factor the worse it will be. The Wii does not have the longevity of something like the ps2 with the releases dried up over a year ago.

Hardware sales being dry shit in July is a non event, when next gen consoles have started their marketing campaign earlier in the year and will release in about 3 to 4 months.

These consoles should be a step away from being sold at 99$, given that they are 7 to 8 years old by now. It's sort of incredible how they still sell them at such a high price.

Miles X

Say what you will about sales overall but the 360 has managed to stay over 100k every single one of the 93 months it's been on the market in the US, impressive.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
SMTIV was also $50, so if it did sell 70k+ (or something around that), that's really fucking good for Atlus.

Well deserved because it's the GOTY.

Mara is pleased.

SmokyDave

the video game market is a dying market, if your dying handheld market has the top-selling platform.
I don't think we can say until we see how the next gen consoles perform. It's possible that the contraction is going to affect handhelds far more than consoles.

iammeiam

SMTIV was also $50, so if it did sell 70k+ (or something around that), that's really fucking good for Atlus.

Well deserved because it's the GOTY.

Mara is pleased.

I'd really like to know how many people redeemed the SMTIV/FE:A eShop prom. SMTIV did really well, so hopefully this is a sign to Nintendo to do things like this more often.

Metallix87

I don't think we can say until we see how the next gen consoles perform. It's possible that the contraction is going to affect handhelds far more than consoles.

Or the reverse could be true. Who knows? I'm mostly concerned about what the onslaught of yearly sequels will do to the console market in the long run.

I'd really like to know how many people redeemed the SMTIV/FE:A eShop prom. SMTIV did really well, so hopefully this is a sign to Nintendo to do things like this more often.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Bravely Default gets a similar push from Nintendo. Maybe not the same exact promotion, but something similar.

Baleoce

The main downside is that the DS had a very slow start, and that Reggie was bragging about being 1 million ahead of the DS for quite some time.

It's the DS Lite part of the DS lifecycle kicking in.

That said they're not dire numbers by any means. GBA would be a solid performance.

GBA numbers would be more than respectable in terms of lifetime sales I agree. 3DS had a pretty nightmare start as well, albeit more of its own fault than anything else. This is the point where DS sales flew off the charts. 3DS can never emulate that success in this market, but I think with the Pokemon demographic coming up it will have a little spike of its own. Nothing like DS, but still in the right direction, and certainly not underwhelming.

DaBoss

Well that's a given. We're going from two handhelds that did ~220M worldwide to what most likely will be 1 handheld doing around ~80M and the other struggling to break ~15M(?).

sense

Last month TLOU did 900k+ right? Wouldn't be surprised if it had already passed 1mil last month itself thanks to digital sales

last month it was 985k according creamsugar and that didn't include digital obviously so yea definitely over a million.

AniHawk

that, or people might be over the idea of spending hundreds of dollars before they can play a dedicated gaming platform. i think that's what microsoft's plan was with the xbox one originally, but they didn't want to risk going completely digital, which is when all that bullshit started happening.

i think the ps4 will do well, but more in the sense that the 3ds is doing well. the xbox one is more of a wildcard.

SmokyDave

Or the reverse could be true. Who knows? I'm mostly concerned about what the onslaught of yearly sequels will do to the console market in the long run.
When those sequels are FIFA, AC, CoD etc.. I'm not too worried. The Wii expanded audience is gone, but I don't think the core are going anywhere. Who knows, the XBone might find itself another blue ocean.

Handhelds are definitely on a steep decline. Consoles might be, but we just don't know yet.

that, or people might be over the idea of spending hundreds of dollars before they can play a dedicated gaming platform. i think that's what microsoft's plan was with the xbox one originally, but they didn't want to risk going completely digital, which is when all that bullshit started happening.

i think the ps4 will do well, but more in the sense that the 3ds is doing well. the xbox one is more of a wildcard.
Well, it's definitely feasible that consoles could face the same struggles. I just don't find it as likely. The crossover with tablets and smartphones just isn't as large.

nib95

Banned
last month it was 985k according creamsugar and that didn't include digital obviously so yea definitely over a million.

Didn't realise that figure didn't include digital. Hot damn it sold a mammoth number. More than any other Sony exclusive no?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
creamsugar, when you post here, we want:

PS3, Wii U, Vita, DS hardware numbers
The Last of Us
Minecraft
Shin Megami Tensei IV

What else has been released of interesting this month in US?

RPGamer92

Banned

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Bravely Default gets a similar push from Nintendo. Maybe not the same exact promotion, but something similar.
Maybe they could do a Bravely Default and Zelda promotion or something

Mr Swine

Banned
Good numbers for 3DS but man this generation should have ended 2 years ago. I hope that MS and Sony have learned to release their consoles every 5-6 years and not 7-8 years :/

Does anyone know how much Vita and Wii U has sold? Which has sold more this month of both?

Metallix87

When those sequels are FIFA, AC, CoD etc.. I'm not too worried. The Wii expanded audience is gone, but I don't think the core are going anywhere. Who knows, the XBone might find itself another blue ocean.

I'm not concerned about the core per-se, I'm concerned about growing fatigue from the same franchises. I've heard people in the past say it's possible, and I think, if it does happen, it'll be this coming generation.

thefro

What they're saying is that Earthbound is the 3rd fastest selling game on the WiiU eShop ever, in terms of revenue. Pikmin generated more revenue, but was more expensive so we can't know if it sold more or fever copies.

That's actually pretty impressive then. I'd guess we'll see an official release of Mother 3.

Tiktaalik

Considering that the 3DS has tough competition against smartphones and the NDS didn't I'm actually pretty impressed that the 3DS is only 1.5 million behind the NDS.

So nice to see Far Cry 3 having legs like an ostrich.
Q: If Animal Crossing did 150k @ #5, does that mean FC3 has a chance of over 100k @ #6? Or do you think there's a massive drop-off? 100k this long after release my god that would be awesome.

Notch swimming in cash right now. Damn!

Nice to see The Last of Us still up there. All the hype was getting on my nerves, but fortunately I finished it 3 weeks ago and now I'm a believer as well. Good to see!

FZZ

Banned
I almost forgot about Ouya, I want those numbers as well.

And I think Nvidia Shield was tracked this month too, that should be interesting.

sense

Didn't realise that figure didn't include digital. Hot damn it sold a mammoth number. More than any other Sony exclusive no?

well god of war sold 1.1 million when it released but there was no digital and last of us was a day 1 digital plus there were a lot of gamestops and other retail stores that were sold out the first week so yes it could be the best selling sony exclusive debut in US for ps3 if we include digital.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

There's no way Xbox One + PS4 will reach the same sales as 360 + PS3 + Wii. So the contraction is going to be just as bad, if not worse.

And its not like handhelds and consoles are unique markets that don't interact. They compete for the same money and time.

allan-bh

Q: If Animal Crossing did 150k @ #5, does that mean FC3 has a chance of over 100k @ #6? Or do you think there's a massive drop-off? 100k this long after release my god that would be awesome.

No, 150k for Animal Crossing is retail+digital

Calamari41

41 > 38

The 150k for Animal Crossing is physical + digital

That is to be expected. On the flipside, the Wii U's sales will rise during the rest of the year. Don't know about Vita, though.

I can see a drop in september after pikmin 3 month. In japan though, zelda hits late september. Also the price drop for vita will at least send sales higher for a month or two. I still think it will be down during the holiday without a huge bundle.

lefantome

GBA numbers would be more than respectable in terms of lifetime sales I agree. 3DS had a pretty nightmare start as well, albeit more of its own fault than anything else. This is the point where DS sales flew off the charts. 3DS can never emulate that success in this market, but I think with the Pokemon demographic coming up it will have a little spike of its own. Nothing like DS, but still in the right direction, and certainly not underwhelming.

Watching the ds sales charts, ds, took off after the gba "retirement" thanks to the casual games and, of course, pokemon, but not exclusively pokemon.
In 2007 the ds sold 30 millions worldwide but the sales started to increase during holiday 2006.

I can see the 3ds doing the same numbers of last year ww.

Btw is pokemon as popular as before? (As a franchise)

The competition this fall is huge considering the amazing success of smartphone games and skylanders on the old consoles that would be sensibly cheaper(well they have to)

Top Bottom