• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2013 [Up2: 3DS Minimum, AC:NL, LM2/NSMBU LTDs, Xbox 360]

QaaQer

When those sequels are FIFA, AC, CoD etc.. I'm not too worried. The Wii expanded audience is gone, but I don't think the core are going anywhere. Who knows, the XBone might find itself another blue ocean.

Handhelds are definitely on a steep decline. Consoles might be, but we just don't know yet.

Well, it's definitely feasible that consoles could face the same struggles. I just don't find it as likely. The crossover with tablets and smartphones just isn't as large.

Thing is, as somewhat capable boxes like Amazon's come out, some of the more casual couch gamers might skip more traditional consoles.

As someone else said, smartphone games scratch the gaming itch enough for many people that they don't need a dedicated handheld anymore. The same might be said in a couple of years time about Amazon box etc.

Metallix87

Btw is pokemon as popular as before? (As a franchise)

It did better on DS than it did on GBA I believe, but it'll never be as popular and explosive as it was on the GB. The 3D models of the 3DS games could potentially spark more interest, but we'll see.

The last time "internet sentiment" crowned a new God King of the videogame industry, the crown was sitting on the Vita's head.

Around E3? yeah. After the 3ds price drop and the memory card announcements? Nope, hype died like a redshirt in TOS. By the time the vita released, only the hardcore seemed to care about it anymore.

Unless the ps4 has one major, major catch that we don't know about yet, or MS or Nintendo i fixing to do something drastic, I don't see history repeating here.

Tuck

Considering that the 3DS has tough competition against smartphones and the NDS didn't I'm actually pretty impressed that the 3DS is only 1.5 million behind the NDS.

And the 3DS had a rough start.

But I'm pretty sure when comparing timelines, the DS hadn't blown up in sales thanks to the DS Lite yet. The 3DS has no chance of matching those sales (despite deserving to...)

I'm hoping the 3DS can pull in some respectable sales by the end of its life - it will not reach DS heights but it can still reach a decent level. It deserves those sales. the amount of quality titles on the platform is staggering.

Thing is, as somewhat capable boxes like Amazon's come out, some of the more casual couch gamers might skip more traditional consoles.

As someone else said, smartphone games scratch the gaming itch enough for many people that they don't need a dedicated handheld anymore. The same might be said in a couple of years time about Amazon box etc.

As soon as controllers for tablet and such become a thing and fifa and madden get competent mobile versions, consoles are in for a steep decline. I already think that neither of the next consoles will hit 70 million

Yawnier

Banned
I'm amazed Far Cry 3 has managed to continuously sell so well. I was convinced they were sending it out to die last year.

I think a lot of it is good word of mouth in a Borderlands kind of way, I've overheard a few people talk about the game who I didn't even think were gamers.

ST2K

Would that drastically change projections though? Digital usually hovers around 10% for Nintendo system as a best case scenario according to that one graph I can't find atm.

I believe they already announced that AC:NL had a really high digital sale rate. I don't remember what it was, but I do remember them saying that and offering an explanation for it.

Metallix87

As soon as controllers for tablet and such become a thing and fifa and madden get competent mobile versions, consoles are in for a steep decline. I already think that neither of the next consoles will hit 70 million

That's definitely possible. Imagine Call of Duty and the major sports games getting good versions for iPad and iPhone around the same time...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Not good for Nintendo considering we just found out blockbuster holiday sales effort game Bayonetta "2" is actually just bayonetta reskinned with new hair cuts...

QaaQer

That's definitely possible. Imagine Call of Duty and the major sports games getting good versions for iPad and iPhone around the same time...

They don't even have to be good, just good enough to scratch that itch. You know, like how when those really shitty B&W Televisions started selling in the 1950s, movie theater attendance dropped.

Metallix87

They don't even have to be good, just good enough to scratch that itch. You know, like how when those really shitty B&W Televisions started selling in the 1950s, movie theater attendance dropped.

Indeed. Microsoft and Sony likely must see the writing on the wall by now, and are going to try really hard to find new first party IPs that drive sales hard this coming gen.

Btw is pokemon as popular as before? (As a franchise)
Compared to its 30 million worldwide phenomena days, no, but it's still massive. In the top 5 franchises in the world, and crappy spinoffs on 3DS have already been million-sellers. I'd expect better performance than Ruby and Sapphire's 13 million in the long run.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Megami Tense series:

LTD figures as of January 2009

[PS2] Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (2004.10.12) - 60,000
[PS2] Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga (2005.03.29) - 51,000
[PS2] Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 (2005.10.11) - 43,000
[PS2] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner (2006.10.10) - 43,000
[PS2] Persona 3 (2007.08.14) - 80,000
[PS2] Persona 3: FES (2008.04.22) - 154,000
[PS2] Persona 4 (2008.12.09) - 123,000

To add to this with fairly recent numbers, Persona 3: FES and Persona 4 ended up at about 200K in the end.

Devil Summoner 2 and Devil Survivor are 65K, Persona PSP is 60K, and Persona 3 PSP is 55K.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Considering that the list of console to sell 70+ million is: every console last gen, PS1, PS2 and Gameboy... yeah, I think that's right.

Even without losing the Call of Duty audience and such, Xbox One and PS4 are likely doomed to lose the audiences that bought them solely as a blu-ray player or as a replacement unit/for Kinect. So that's a huge contraction in of itself.

that, or people might be over the idea of spending hundreds of dollars before they can play a dedicated gaming platform. i think that's what microsoft's plan was with the xbox one originally, but they didn't want to risk going completely digital, which is when all that bullshit started happening.

i think the ps4 will do well, but more in the sense that the 3ds is doing well. the xbox one is more of a wildcard.

There's simply no evidence to support this. In it's seventh year the PS2 sold 1.1 million in December, while the 360 sold 1.4 million. In it's eight year the PS2 sold 155K in July, while the 360 sold 107k. Difference being that PS2 was being sold for 130$ while the 360 is at 199$ (minimum), in a shit economy.

Nintendo's handheld market has shrunk because of mobile gaming, and possibly also because 3DS follows the DS brand in a way that it makes it look like the same sort of upgrade the DSi was. Which is becoming a common "mistake" by Nintendo, as they did the same with Wii U which turned out to be terrible branding. I say "mistake" because it looks like there's less excitement and demand when compared to real shifts, like the Gameboy and the DS were.

The industry needs a new generation of hardware, and Nintendo's failure with the Wii U isn't some sort of paranormal phenomena or an indicator of a shrinking market. It's just another less than stellar performer, in the vein of N64/Gamecube/Dreamcast/Saturn etc.

Metallix87

To add to this with fairly recent numbers, Persona 3: FES and Persona 4 ended up at about 200K in the end.

Devil Summoner 2 and Devil Survivor are 65K, Persona PSP is 60K, and Persona 3 PSP is 55K.

So it likely outsold most of them, barring P3:FES and P4?

Yawnier

Banned
That's so awesome, and it's mainly a single-player game not a CoD type. Just great.

It is really great for Ubi, although a bit weird because I have never seen Far Cry as that mainstream of a series. That could change for even better next gen as well.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Not good for Nintendo considering we just found out blockbuster holiday sales effort game Bayonetta "2" is actually just bayonetta reskinned with new hair cuts...

Wait, what? I think I missed that joke. It's not 100% new content?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches

Persona PSP sold more than Persona 3 PSP? Stahp

sense

do we know what persona 4 golden sold even though we won't know digital where it likely sold more especially with vita?

I somehow doubt this, honestly. Tablet tech is, well, obsolete very quickly, and very expensive by comparison. Consoles will boast more power for the same cost, and bee good for 5+ years.

Next-next gen consoles will probably be true media centers built on X86-64 with all the latest stuff, and will pretty much any media feature you can think of. Even this gen blurs that line pretty well, or exceeds it.

Regardless it seems atlus did well in both japan and the us with smt4. I will get my copy laater but all this good atlus news scares me for their future

I somehow doubt this, honestly. Tablet tech is, well, obsolete very quickly, and very expensive by comparison. Consoles will boast more power for the same cost, and bee good for 5+ years.

Next-next gen consoles will probably be true media centers built on X86-64 with all the latest stuff, and will pretty much any media feature you can think of. Even this gen blurs that line pretty well, or exceeds it.

It doesn't matter. Vita and even 3DS have games that boast better graaphics than most tablet games but people see them as good enough. once something ia good enough for the public market disruption will occur

Metallix87

Yeah, but most people already have tablets and/or smartphones, and I doubt the audience that cares about those games needs cutting edge graphics.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
There's simply no evidence to support this. In it's seventh year the PS2 sold 1.1 million in December, while the 360 sold 1.4 million. In it's eight year the PS2 sold 155K in July, while the 360 sold 107k. Difference being that PS2 was being sold for 130$ while the 360 is at 199$ (minimum), in a shit economy.

Nintendo's handheld market has shrunk because of mobile gaming, and possibly also because 3DS follows the DS brand in a way that it makes it look like the same sort of upgrade the DSi was. Which is becoming a common "mistake" by Nintendo, as they did the same with Wii U which turned out to be terrible branding. I say "mistake" because it looks like there's less excitement and demand when compared to real shifts, like the Gameboy and the DS were.

The industry needs a new generation of hardware, and Nintendo's failure with the Wii U isn't some sort of paranormal phenomena or an indicator of a shrinking market. It's just another less than stellar performer, in the vein of N64/Gamecube/Dreamcast/Saturn etc.
This comparison is only valid if 360 sold comparative to the PS2 in the years beforehand, which isn't true. 360's 5-7th years were large because they were tapping to audiences that had previously ignored the system (thanks to Kinect + price drop). The PS2, meanwhile, had already sold to a large audience by its 7th years and had successor systems already out.

Daingurse

Next month!

Then we shall see it cut the legs of its own owner even further.

henry%252520hill%252520laughing.jpg

Oh lord that was good.

Top Bottom