• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2013 [Up2: 360/3DS Hardware, AC/LM/DK Digital + Retail]

nah, never does. Very rarely will the platform holders put out digital sales info- I think we might get totals for TLOU eventually though, since it's a Sony flagship title.

That's not completely true. NPD does limited digital tracking in various capacities and is currently making efforts to dramatically expand their digital efforts into full-scale, digital POS tracking (in accordance with YOY retail declines).

Eventually they're going to include digital figures in their monthly NPD sales reports (to firms who purchase physical data and within the public PR).

NPD is modeling digital sales, with some data. We know they'll make changes in the future, but we don't know yet how or how accurate they will be.

For now, the chart we see each month is retail-only sales.

Exactly.

Hopefully, Nintendo has a team hard at work on Animal Crossing U, so it'll be out before the the end of 2015.

If City Folk did ~8 million less than Wild World, Animal Crossing U won't do anything for the Wii U (though to be fair City Folk didn't really do a whole lot of new stuff from WW)

SuperSah

Banned
Hopefully, Nintendo has a team hard at work on Animal Crossing U, so it'll be out before the the end of 2015.

2015? No way. The gap between AC releases is large. Took five years for New Leaf to come after City Folk.

Could take a lot longer with new hardware and Nintendo's inability to adapt efficiently enough.

Metallix87

People weren't asking where's the 3rd 2d Mario in 3 years that is barely different visually and does nothing significantly new. Nintendo is consistently overetimating themselves, but luckily they should know by now people are buying their shit

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm explaining why they thought NSMBU carrying the system for seven months or so was such a bright idea.

City Folk was not a big hit on Wii.

Animal Crossing is more a portable franchise.

City Folk was not a proper sequel like New Leaf and everyone knows it. Of course, that only means that any potential Wii U version is a ways off if they want it to move systems. So it's no help to anyone.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm explaining why they thought NSMBU carrying the system for seven months or so was such a bright idea.

And it proves why iwata and the other executives are clueless when it comes to many things in the market.

Edit: And it seems the leaks were fake. Creamsugar come on!

Fabrik

Banned

As seen by the sales, Animal Crossing is clearly a portable franchise now. Making a home console version would be redundant and a waste of developer resources.

Metallix87

2015? No way. The gap between AC releases is large. Took five years for New Leaf to come after City Folk.

Could take a lot longer with new hardware and Nintendo's inability to adapt efficiently enough.

That's because New Leaf was the next leap for the series. City Folk, on the other hand, came roughly three years after Wild World, because it took that game's basic ideas and expanded on them.

Animal Crossing Wii U will likely be 2015 or maybe 2016 at the absolute latest, and it will share a lot of elements with New Leaf, I'd bet.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Cream, where are you!

- Vita
- Wii U
- Ouya
- Deadpool
- Project X Zone
- Fuse
- RE: Rev HD second month

Please :D

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Come on. Yes, there should have been a bigger bump, but you cannot compare Pikmin 3 to Animal Crossing and other 3DS releases that have been arriving very consistently.

You are really becoming increasingly one note.

There will always be an excuse as to why its unfair to compare or don't count this result or "actually thats super niche" and so on. Nintendo has a pretty good grip on their handheld base, even though it got a little slippery at the start there. Historically they have no such thing on the home console market.

For handheld they have Mario (2d and 3d now), Mario Kart, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Smash now as well. Their home console business doesn't have either its Pokemon or Animal Crossing equivalent success stories to bump that gap of content and sales pushing stuff.

I'm one note, because that is what the reality is and what is happening.

Besides, this is also the 2K OUYA PARTY TOPIC!

Edit: or not? AZ Greg banned?

jmls1121

Banned
Does this month add at least a little credibility to "Nintendo games sell Nintendo hardware" and give at least a glimmer of hope to the Wii U?

Of course it does. When it comes to sales discussions, it always boggles my mind when people worry about Nintendo third-party support

FACT: Nintendo hardware sales have been fully reliant on attraction to first-party software since 1996.

The question two fold:

1. Does Nintendo have the internal development capacity to fully support an HD console? They barely had enough for the Wii

2. Can Nintendo finally begin to market the gamepad as a unique console offering fresh experiences to the marketplace.

That's because New Leaf was the next leap for the series. City Folk, on the other hand, came roughly three years after Wild World, because it took that game's basic ideas and expanded on them.

Animal Crossing Wii U will likely be 2015 or maybe 2016 at the absolute latest, and it will share a lot of elements with New Leaf, I'd bet.

So your logic is that despie the fact that last time a console version did nothing new from the handheld version it did mediocre comparatively and now you want a console version based on new leaf?

Edit: When Wiiu comes down to 3ds prices we can talk about nintendo 1st party carrying the system as well. A 300 dollar console with 60 dollar games is much less appealing

I don't think they thought that, they had a plan to release first party games during the launch window but then they delayed everything.

It was case of horrendous execution.

SuperSah

Banned

Judging by City Folk, they won't go that route again. It didn't do too well and was essentially just Wild World with a few new features and nicer graphics.

To pull this stunt on the Wii U is asking for trouble. They'd need a new game, not a rehash like they did before.

jmls1121

Banned
As seen by the sales, Animal Crossing is clearly a portable franchise now. Making a home console version would be redundant and a waste of developer resources.

It still sold a ton. Nintendo won't be able to resist. As a gamer, I really wish it was exclusively a portable.

Metallix87

So your logic is that despie the fact that last time a console version did nothing new from the handheld version it did mediocre comparatively and now you want a console version based on new leaf?

Not necessarily what I want, but what I think Nintendo should do to bolster sales of the Wii U. Animal Crossing still sold well on Wii, and that was a sloppy effort. Nintendo could definitely do better on Wii U.

RM8

People weren't asking where's the 3rd 2d Mario in 3 years that is barely different visually and does nothing significantly new. Nintendo is consistently overetimating themselves, but luckily they should know by now people are buying their shit
To be fair, the actual 3rd 2D Mario in 3 years that is barely different visually and does nothing significantly new (NSMB2) has sold pretty decently, if obviously not like the DS or Wii games. Maybe 2D Mario prospers with established user bases but is not really a system seller?

I don't blame Nintendo, since the first two NSMB games sold so disproportionately great I thought it was a genius move to launch WiiU with one - but it's not a genius move to release it so close to another NSMB game, I guess.

Kusagari

Could things get so dire for the Wii U that Nintendo will pull the one final card they've been saving all this time?

A real home console Pokemon.

vareon

Nintendo is in a weird problem now that their best selling softwares are on the 3DS, but the handheld market itself is shrinking.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Good to see 3 exclusives top the NPD charts =). And the 3DS is doing quite well, both software and hardware wise. There were generally hints that Animal Crossing was doing quite well, but I'm surprised that Luigi's Mansion continues to stay in the charts. Congrats to Next Level Games for that!

So I wonder how the 1-2 3DS holiday punch of Pokemon + Zelda will affect the 3DS sales (well mostly Pokemon).

Also for those asking about Nintendo deals, I think they just mentioned a deal with Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 for the Wii U.

There will always be an excuse as to why its unfair to compare or don't count this result or "actually thats super niche" and so on. Nintendo has a pretty good grip on their handheld base, even though it got a little slippery at the start there. Historically they have no such thing on the home console market.

For handheld they have Mario (2d and 3d now), Mario Kart, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Smash now as well. Their home console business doesn't have either its Pokemon or Animal Crossing equivalent success stories to bump that gap of content and sales pushing stuff.

I'm one note, because that is what the reality is and what is happening.

The actual console bump from Pikmin 3, as well as the actual sales of the game, are very much in line with what the first one did on the Gamecube (after nearly a decade dormant, at that). It was never going to pull much more than that (and anyone who thought differently probably thought so based on a gut feeling and not actual numbers).

That is what the reality is.

To be fair, the actual 3rd 2D Mario in 3 years that is barely different visually and does nothing significantly new (NSMB2) has sold pretty decently, if obviously not like the DS or Wii games. Maybe 2D Mario prospers with established user bases but is not really a system seller?

I don't blame Nintendo, since the first two NSMB games sold so disproportionately great I thought it was a genius move to launch WiiU with one - but it's not a genius move to release it so close to another NSMB game, I guess.

I think it would have sold the same without NSMB2. I yhink the truth is that people are not huge fans of 2d mario to the point where you buy a system for it. And i think the same is true of dkc to an even greater extent which leaves 3d world as the only real game i see pushing systems this year

The actual console bump from Pikmin 3, as well as the actual sales of the game, are very much in line with what the first one did on the Gamecube (after nearly a decade dormant, at that). It was never going to pull much more than that

Which is fine...if that wasn't one of the biggest games they have for the entire year. So while it did fine, it makes wiiu's prospects grim for the rest of the year until 3d world, and i suspect the same is true of the west although the new consoles will be much bigger in the west

Metallix87

Could things get so dire for the Wii U that Nintendo will pull the one final card they've been saving all this time?

If 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros., & Donkey Kong fail, they'll move on to the next phase, which is likely Wii Sports and Animal Crossing. If that fails, I could definitely see them doing a console Pokemon game. They won't have Game Freak do it, obviously, but they'll have Genius Sonority work on it with supervision from Game Freak. I'd bet on a remake, honestly, but you never know.

They'd be under-cutting one of their biggest system-selling handhold franchises in doing so, while Game Freak is ill-prepared, I imagine, for full-scale console development.

Me thinks Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze vs Super Mario 3D World will be fun to watch. Me thinks it:ll be close on the December NPD.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Good to see 3 exclusives top the NPD charts =). And the 3DS is doing quite well, both software and hardware wise. There were generally hints that Animal Crossing was doing quite well, but I'm surprised that Luigi's Mansion continues to stay in the charts. Congrats to Next Level Games for that!

Some other points. DKCR sold better than quite a few Zeldas. While I think it has a little less selling power than Zelda, it's still fairly significant. Secondly, there's now a Wii U deal for Wonderful 101 & Pikmin 3.

StoopKid

Wii U's sales later this year will be dependant on many factors

1)Possible 50$ cut
2)Black Friday bundles (if they're going to do them)
3)Software deals, like the SMTIV one or the European ones (btw, I hope they continue the trend)
4)How much DKC can attract people
5)Advertising: this thing needs freaking advertising
6)Absolutely lack of heat waves; otherwise, Pokémon Centers will be' empty

I fear it won't do as much as Nintendo hopes, at all, but there are still many important factors to consider.

ibuTFrcq4HjNBQ.gif

javac

That'd hurt Nintendo's handheld side...you know the more valuable of the two.

Also Pokemon sells well because you can play anywhere, take it to school and trade with friends etc. I'm sure the ip will do well on a home system but not in the same vein. Similar to Animal Crossing.

I don't doubt most people play their handhelds at home but even so they all sell much better on handhelds. Pokemon, Monhun, Animal Crossing etc.

Top Bottom