• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

Damn. It seems like the friends effect is already in full force. If the gap is near 1 million around the holidays, it's going to start to look like the 360/PS3.

There's a real chance that the Wii U outsold the X1? This thread is going to go wild if that's true.

I think it's highly unlikely WiiU outsold the xbone with 140k when they said they doubled their sales from May. Would be a well deserved break for Nintendo though, if true.

TTOOLL

Momentum is a thing, you realize? Microsoft lost the mind-share; it's doubtful they can gain it back. Regardless of whether or not the policies have been resolved, the storm that resulted hasn't--and may never--fully clear.

Even if Microsoft's hardware were more powerful, I would put forth it wouldn't matter in the slightest.

Ok dude, let's just agree to disagree, shall we?

That's not TECHNICALLY true, next week on the 25th Wii Sports Club is getting a retail release which might have some casual appeal.

Man

Even at my most optimistic I don't think anything of Wii Sports Club.

I actually think it would make a whole lot of sense if it came out a month ago and was $20 and there were inserts in Mario Kart 8's case telling people about it. Anything else is just a pointless endeavor.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It even gets it up into Xbox One territory.
I was mocked for predicting that, based on how Wii U's perception changed after the OS update, MK8 and E3.

Nintendo has no new big game rill september. But the more MK8 sells, the more local multiplayer sessions are played, which will lead to more Wii U sales. I believe they can maintain steady sales from now on.

yayaba

Not bad for Wii U. The 3DS is kind of having a halo effect on me at the moment. I may dip into the Wii U at some point either later this year or early 2015.

maxcriden

So Sales Gurus (Aquamarine and Nirolak I'm looking your way!), how good of news is this for Nintendo? Just okay, or actually pretty good...?

Asd202

Holy shit I forgot about GTAV which has a marketing deal with Ps4. Sony really nailed it with the marketing deals for the third party titles this year. Watch Dogs, Destiny and GTAV. Wow.

October could be even more brutal then September as DriveClub drops too

IMO September NPD will be a bomb to behold.

lefantome

I'll give you the multiplat games, but I can see Wii U putting up a fight though. Good holiday bundles plus Smash Bros should keep it going for a little while.

it depends on how sony and ms will spend their marketing money.
Smash is big in the us but not as much as MK8.

I don't expect great numbers at all, maybe something decent, maybe worse.

big_z

I would imagine Nintendo will use the massive eshop dump/refresh that's rumored to fill the software gap coming up.... And hopefully fatal frame 5.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
it is unquestionably so. i doubt anything else will give it the same boost, even smash bros.

I think Smash+toys+holiday could work out very well..especially if Nintendo can get down to $250.

Foshy

Hell yeah good Wii U numbers.

FxAXZIu.png

(via)

wouldn't exactly call them "good". yeah, it's probably as "good" as you can expect for the wii u, but in absolute terms it's not really a healthy number.

for perspective: http://i.imgur.com/93JSIC5.png

I think outside of gaming circles it's viewed as doing fine, and at the end of the generation sales wise it'll be a similar split to the PSX gen, where PS4 is by far the most sold, XBO a decent gap away but still respectable in terms of sales and Wii U just scraping by.

Agreed. Some places demand that one wins and one loses. Rather than one is doing extremely well and another is doing just fine.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I would imagine Nintendo will use the massive eshop dump/refresh that's rumored to fill the software gap coming up.... And hopefully fatal frame 5.

?? what are you referring to?

noobasuar

Banned
I wonder how close system sales between all three this month.

PS4 was at like 199K last month, right? Is it supposed to be higher this month?

Boke1879

PS4 is unstoppable. Sold better in Titanfall month, sold better when Xbone went down to $400.

What is even more worse for MS... July, August and September will be firmly in PS4's corner. But MS will have a chance to win November and December [when they inevitably throw ungodly amount of money on marketing and promotions].

Don't underestimate the power of the PS4 Destiny bundle.

coldone

Maybe they should use that fat marketing budget to keep MK8 in people's minds for the rest of the summer.

Also, good for the WiiU; not a bad number for a half-dead console.
:p

They should give us some DLC. 2 Tracks + 4 Karts would do wonders this holiday season. Smash + Kart is a great combo.

FZZ

Banned
it is unquestionably so. i doubt anything else will give it the same boost, even smash bros.

I suspect with Nintendo's advertising of Smash and how they're appeasing to the core fan base of Smash coupled with Amiibo and releasing in the holidays Smash Bros. will have a greater impact than MK8.

Also expecting two holiday bundles this year, one with Smash and one with MK8.

Yeah, but we knew that already. They did say doubled*

Yeah, they did say "doubled*"

Then at the bottom of the press release, the asterisk said "*- Internal data based on retail calendar and sold through numbers"

So yeah, they basically told us it was "internal data"

Top Bottom