• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2010

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm going to throw out a prediction that you two are going to be very disappointed when Battlefield 3 is officially announced.

TheBranca18 said:
1. This is simply not true for everyone.
2. RPGs are single player experiences for the most part (I assume you're ignoring the online versions) and take much longer to complete than first person shooters.

Your own personal experiences are your own, they don't necessarily apply to the public at large :D

The playtime statistics for these games support his conclusions. Most gamers play SP games once or a few times and throw them in the closet, multiplayer games get played over and over again for months.

CiSTM

Banned
Nirolak said:
I'm going to throw out a prediction that you two are going to be very disappointed when Battlefield 3 is officially announced.

Who ? Me ? Former CEO of DICE gives me hope <3

Liliegren: "That's why it's going to blow people away, because it's not Modern Warfare 2 PC, it's not that experience."

:) sounds already good to me. Nothing against COD, I love COD series but I need my BF fixes too.

Haunted

Good show for Nintendo hardware, Wii and DS. Must be Easter.

Good show for GoW III in comparison to the first two games, topping their respective first months!

Good show for those blasted Pocket Monsters *shakes fist*

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
CiSTM said:
Who ? Me ? Former CEO of DICE gives me hope <3

Liliegren: "That's why it's going to blow people away, because it's not Modern Warfare 2 PC, it's not that experience."

:) sounds already good to me. Nothing against COD, I love COD series but I need my BF fixes too.
Liliegren hasn't worked at DICE since 2006. That was back before even Bad Company 1 launched and they were operating under the strategy of separate PC and console Battlefields. Since then they've just went ahead and made Bad Company a multiplatform series. I imagine the same thing has happened to Battlefield 3.

I mean seriously, we're talking about EA, the company that delayed Dragon Age by eight months in favor of having simultaneous console versions launch.

Salacious Crumb

Nirolak said:
Liliegren hasn't worked at DICE since 2006. That was back before even Bad Company 1 launched.

Just let me dream for a moment please, dream of a future where a mainline BF title wouldn't be shackled by the very limited capabilities of consoles, cause that sir, is a future I want to live in.

CiSTM

Banned
Nirolak said:
Liliegren hasn't worked at DICE since 2006. That was back before even Bad Company 1 launched and they were operating under the strategy of separate PC and console Battlefields. Since then they've just went ahead and made Bad Company a multiplatform series. I imagine the same thing has happened to Battlefield 3.

I mean seriously, we're talking about EA, the company that delayed Dragon Age by eight months in favor of having simultaneous console versions launch.

That's why I said former. Lilegren is still good chum with DICE people and that interview was just two months back. And when he was talking about BF3 he made notion that BF3 will indeed be PC only game.

manzo

CozMick said:
My meaning of "mindless fun" is a game that doesn't require a lot of thinking, i.e a shooter. {most shooters, not all}

Point, shoot!

Where as FFXIII requires alot of thinking to achieve a goal.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

no.

CozMick

Banned
Salacious Crumb said:
I'm positive there will be a BC3 for consoles and PC before the end of this gen, but a mainline 64 player BF title won't work on consoles, it just wasn't meant for them. Also don't forget that BF2 sold just shy of 2.5 million worldwide. PC exclusive games can be, and are a profitable venture (just look at CD Projekt).

EA think with there wallets.

I'm certain that a console Battlefield 3 of some sort will be announced.

Why would they give up the opportunity of selling millions more copies?

Just look at VALVe and Crytek, now who honestly thought a few years back that they would even touch consoles?

LegoDad

Tom Penny said:
So they would have sold 400+ thousand PS3's without these so called shortages. Doubtful.

So called shortages? You couldn't find a PS3 for the longest time. They were switching manufacturers. If people wanted a PS3 they couldn't find one. Most normal people aren't going to search and search, they'll just wait for them to come back into stock.

There is no way to measure if that would have affected sales upwards to 400k, but it is a reason it didn't hit, with all the exclusives.

Don't try to downplay it or abuse it, just be aware that there was a shortage. Where i could have walked in anywhere and they had 360's... and tons of them.

caliblue15 said:
Well there was a shortage.. so...

Was there? I have seen shortages, like the 360 launch, the Wii, GT2 all those years ago. I saw Sony talk about PS3 shortages recently but everywhere I go in my area there are always plenty in stock. I'm sure the shortage was real but it only applied to some areas, it's not as if it was all over the place.

Salacious Crumb

CozMick said:
EA think with there wallets.

I'm certain that a console Battlefield 3 of some sort will be announced.

Why would they give up the opportunity of selling millions more copies?

Just look at VALVe and Crytek, now who honestly thought a few years back that they would even touch consoles?

Valve and Crytek games require very little to no modification of there core mechanics to work on console. BF had to be turned into BC for it to work on console, and as great as BC is, it's not BF.

64 players on maps 5-10x the size of anything in BC2, with a complex chain of command ordering system simply cannot work on consoles. My only hope is that Dice is as passionate about these systems as I am and insist that it remains PC exclusive and thus can expand on the scope of BF2 and 2142.

I mean these are the guys that got the go ahead to make Mirrors Edge, keeping BF3 PC exclusive should be a cakewalk.

Cornbread78

Bumblebeetuna said:
Was there? I have seen shortages, like the 360 launch, the Wii, GT2 all those years ago. I saw Sony talk about PS3 shortages recently but everywhere I go in my area there are always plenty in stock. I'm sure the shortage was real but it only applied to some areas, it's not as if it was all over the place.

Umm, I work PT at the largest retailer in the world, hint hint, and every store in our district gets one order of PS3s every 4-6 weeks and they are usually all gone within 72 hours. There simply is not enough (I'm in the NE by the way). My buddy down in GA had his PS3 hit the crapper and the only way he could get one is by taking his buddies in a trade because there was none around. My other buddy in Cali, had to trade his 60 gig into SCE and got a new Slim from them for $150 because none for the stores in his area had PS3.... Oh and lastly, one of my other buddies in OH was trying to buy a 2nd system for her Entertainment/Theatre room. It took her 3 weeks to get one, when she called every store around her. I mean, Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy and GS have all had major shortages in PS3.

Again, I must say Sony is shooting themselves in the feet on this one, all the great games being launched, yet they don;t have enough systems for new gamers to pick up. Bad marketing job Sony....

SW sales look graet though 2/1 in sales over 360 for FFXIII, that's really surprising.

Nirolak said:
*Looks at sales in the OP*

*Looks at executive statements about trying to topple Call of Duty with Battlefield*

I wouldn't be so sure about that...

*Looks at lack of sales from the downloadable version*

Yeah...

It's been stated there are more people playing BC2 online on the PC then on the 360 or PS3

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Tom Penny said:
So they would have sold 400+ thousand PS3's without these so called shortages. Doubtful.

Bumblebeetuna said:

Are you dorks for real? Grow up.

LosDaddie

Banned
What a boring NPD thread. Other than the usual suspects rushing in with their all too predictable "PS3 SHORTAGES!!" and "Xbots hate variety / Xbots hate RPGs / ShooterBox360" responses, there hasn't been any GIFs of note :(

ON TOPIC: I'm glad to see GoW 3 take the crown. Well deserved success. I'm on my 2nd playthrough on Titan and it's even better the 2nd time.

Rat Salad

Banned
Just want to add that I saw a mini 360 shortage myself so maybe we should sdtart using the shortage card each npd for Microsoft as well.:lol

It happened about a week before the Spring Elite bundle released,you could not walk into Walmart or Target and buy even an arcade,all inventory was gone. About a week later they got the Spring bundle in along with a ton of Arcades. Funny thing is I saw a couple of PS3s in that time. So for as bad as people wanted one,you still could nab one if you tried hard enough.

pr0cs

Sort of surprised that GOW3 didn't sell better, to me it's one of the premiere reasons to own the system, much more than the MGS series anyway.
I wonder if this doesn't mean that all those stories of how GT5 going to stomp all sales records (at least in USA) being a bit out to lunch.
It's nice to see PS3 finally selling some software nonetheless. Hopefully people finally realized that it does more than just play blurays.

Most likely PCs get Battlefield 3 and consoles get Battlefield 3 with the resurrected "Modern Combat" monkier, since "Modern Warfare" is such a hot term now.

mujun

So with the 360 failure rate at 42% how does that affect the NPD?

Permanently on the verge of shortage or does it increase numbers because everyone has to buy more than one?

Tom Penny

pr0cs said:
Sort of surprised that GOW3 didn't sell better, to me it's one of the premiere reasons to own the system, much more than the MGS series anyway.I wonder if this doesn't mean that all those stories of how GT5 going to stomp all sales records (at least in USA) being a bit out to lunch.
It's nice to see PS3 finally selling some software nonetheless. Hopefully people finally realized that it does more than just play blurays.

Yeah. Very surprising considering GOW is a much bigger franchise then MGS...

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
what do i like to play?

pokemons

1z32fdf.jpg

skyfinch

Bumblebeetuna said:

They probably shipped them all off to where I live because there are PS3 in stock and on shelves at my local Walmart, EB games, Futureshop, bestbuy.....

Struct09

mujun said:

Permanently on the verge of shortage or does it increase numbers because everyone has to buy more than one?

I'm on my third 360, and I have only ever bought one. They fix/replace them for free, you know.

tzare

Good numbers overall this month. My thoughts:
There have been shortages for PS3, that is obvious , not huge shortages and that does not mean they had sold +400k but they may have sold more than 360 this mont probably. But what the hell are they doing? C'mon, they knew this was GOW3 and FFXIII it seems every single department at sony works as if they were different corporations.

As for SW sales, it is obvious that userbases for 360 and PS3 are waaaaaay different. BF2 sells a lot on 360 and FFXIII sells a lot on PS3. Last month Bioshock sold a lot more on 360 and Dante sold a little more on PS3. The thing is this generation is very shooter centric so PS3 is having a hard time.
PSP is almost dead in the US, but in Japan is alive and kicking.... what will sony do? release a PSP2 could harm PSP in Japan.
DS is selling really well, so i do not see the need for 3DS but unlike sony, nintendo marketing and timing is great lately.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Metal Gear?! said:
Most likely PCs get Battlefield 3 and consoles get Battlefield 3 with the resurrected "Modern Combat" monkier, since "Modern Warfare" is such a hot term now.
Battlefield 3:Modern Reflex

Vinci

Danish
Struct09 said:
I'm on my third 360, and I have only ever bought one. They fix/replace them for free, you know.

No, they don't. Silly. MS uses their ticking time-bomb of hardware to boost their HW sales each month. Don't lie to the man; it's obvious.

/ removes tinfoil from head

skyfinch said:
They probably shipped them all off to where I live because there are PS3 in stock and on shelves at my local Walmart, EB games, Futureshop, bestbuy.....

I've been looking to get a slim and sell my PS3 fatty but NONE of my local stores have them for the last few week/ month. And this is Pheonix AZ not some rinky dink small town. Anyone trying to downplay the PS3 shortage is just being an idiot right now.

Most people are like me. I don't buy online. If i can't walk into a store and buy what i want turn right around and leave empty handed.

Culex

Banned
So now that the Wii is back to selling it's 'normal' amount, does it realistically have a chance to catch up to the PS2's LTD?

CozMick

Banned
Vinci said:
No, they don't. Silly. MS uses their ticking time-bomb of hardware to boost their HW sales each month. Don't lie to the man; it's obvious.

/ removes tinfoil from head

12 months and 1 day from purchase "KABOOOOOOOM!"

meppi

Haunted said:
Good show for Nintendo hardware, Wii and DS. Must be Easter.
But isn't NPD sales date from the US?

To my knowledge they don't celebrate Easter there, at least not like they do in Japan or other parts of the world.

Poetaster

Banned
skyfinch said:
Person A: It's raining where I am.
Person B: You're full of shit because it's not raining where I am.

Banned
mujun said:

It is a known fact that there are only 1 Million 360 owners and each one buys 10+ games every month.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Poetaster said:
Person A: It's raining where I am.
Person B: You're full of shit because it's not raining where I am.

That pretty much sums it all up. Just like when someone says a firmware update bricked their favorite system.

Person A: 3.21 bricked my system!
Person B: Bullshit! I installed and I'm running just fine.

Gonna remember that one.

spwolf

skyfinch said:

hello time traveler, nice to know people that still live in early march.

there was an neogaf thread for the shortages, quite popular too... and yes, it is Sony's fault and nobody else's, so there is nothing good there for Sony - they could have capitalized on strong software sales and they did not due to their fuckups.

Serenity

pr0cs said:
Sort of surprised that GOW3 didn't sell better, to me it's one of the premiere reasons to own the system, much more than the MGS series anyway.
I wonder if this doesn't mean that all those stories of how GT5 going to stomp all sales records (at least in USA) being a bit out to lunch.

Your skill is too be admired:lol

Besy NPD in a while. SW wise.

God Battlefield, Go MLB, Go GOW, Go Pokemon.

The only shit that doesn't deserve to be up there is FF13, that game is a fucking joke, tried to play it and only lasted 45 minutes, I couldn't stand all that shit, which is a shame because I loved FFX and still consider it as one of my favorite games ever.

donny2112

MiamiWesker said:
Is NPD saying that no game has ever sold 11 million copies in NA. Cause of MW2 is the best selling game ever than that is what they are saying. Wow.

They get to that by combining games on different platforms but not Pokemon versions. i.e. Ignore them on that subject. It's pretty useless as a metric.

And Wii Play is still a game, regardless of why it probably sold so much.

Top Bottom