• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

N.Domixis

Banned
This is good news, now microsoft will think twice before using bs moneyhat tactics. The more they fall behind the better for gamers. There is no hope for them, PS4 has the entire year in the bag.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The one with all the Beanie avatars. Which one do you read?

Anti you need to take a step back a bit, since you are starting to sound salts and its way past the usual good positing of yours which I enjoy to read. Aint worth it man, aint worth it.

methane47

mERwFSL.gif

LOL this is great

As much as I'm intrenched in the PS4 I still want to see Xbone succeed. I wouldn't be surprised if MS goes full bore and buy's up some big exclusives that nobody we'll see coming. Some kind of exclusive with the next GTA or possibly a new Red Dead is something I could really see happening at this point.

I would surmise that Titanfall is going to set a precedent for this kind of thing going forward. Microsoft can throw money at as many third party developers as they please, but said developers are now going to be looking at this situation and probably thinking twice. Not that it won't happen, but it is safe to say the PS4 is the more appealing console right now in terms of Return on Investment.

qream

This is the most melodramatic post I have ever read on this forum. No doubt the situation is not great for either Microsoft or to a greater extent Nintendo. However, we are less than a year in. I take the decision not to take as many loans out as possible and bet on one horse, when there is a possible decades worth of all manner of gaming advances yet to be seen

Whoosh!
It's a meme :)

antitrop

Anti you need to take a step back a bit, since you are starting to sound salts and its way past the usual good positing of yours which I enjoy to read. Aint worth it man, aint worth it.

I'm not salty at all, I just think NeoGAF was generally more excited for Infamous than Titanfall.

Titanfall threads were huge, but mostly because of the anti-hype.

I must be an alien apparently but I never thought in a million years that a new IP would have reversed the steam. I am not surprised at this NPD results, it sounds in line with what I would have thought. The only thing that is almost surprising is that the general sales of Xbone aren't better than last month, that's all.

it's from the creators of call of duty

it's been hyped to hell and back by the gaming "press". every xbone video before, after, during e3, gdc, tgs, gamescom, launch, etc. are littered with titanfall. tell me one xbone game that has gotten as much coverage and mentions as titanfall.

it's been marketed to hell and back by ea and microsoft.

it's microsoft's e3 closer.

You can compare it to the past, but they were at a different point in the industry in the past. Be mindful that this "system seller" had to be bundled with the system, along with various, various discounts. And it still sold less as a platform than it did the month prior.

How do you not see this as an issue? That's a big fucking uh oh. Their major game couldn't move hardware, had to be discounted and bundled, and STILL didn't move a lot. This happened with Super Mario 3D World and the Wii U. People thought that game would move the system, and it barely did.

Why would I be worried? The Xbox One vs PS4 in the USA is way closer than the PS3 vs 360. Not one PS3 fan ever worried. Why should us Xbox fans? The X1 is selling better at the same time period. We're just getting started. TitanFall was the highest selling game of the Month. The X1 lost in sales for the Month. Good job Sony. PS4 stronger and less expensive helps as well, as everybody knows but for some reason thought the "it's COD with mechs game" and the "doesn't look like a next gen game" Now all of a sudden that was supposed to make this huge hit in console sales.

X1 outselling the 360 by far in the same time period... PS4 beating it.. just like the Wii was beating the 360. It happens. TitanFall was the best selling game of the month though. Just like PS4 was the top selling console. And as someone said earlier, they didn't even count digital downloads... which my copy is. :)

We'll be fine.

Epcott

So wait, Titanfall was the top selling software, yet PS4 was still the top Hardware?

How does that even work?
(I know how that works, I'm just legit shocked)

I hope this means there's a chance we may see South Park on the PS4.

BBboy20

I honestly never thought I'd see the day where Microsoft would get their own board...

As much as I'm intrenched in the PS4 I still want to see Xbone succeed. I wouldn't be surprised if MS goes full bore and buy's up some big exclusives that nobody we'll see coming. Some kind of exclusive with the next GTA or possibly a new Red Dead is something I could really see happening at this point.
That wouldn't be good for Sony customers. =/

Why would I be worried? The Xbox One vs PS4 in the USA is way closer than the PS3 vs 360. Not one PS3 fan ever worried. Why should us Xbox fans? The X1 is selling better at the same time period. We're just getting started. TitanFall was the highest selling game of the Month. The X1 lost in sales for the Month. Good job Sony. PS4 stronger and less expensive helps as well, as everybody knows but for some reason thought the "it's COD with mechs game" and the "doesn't look like a next gen game" Now all of a sudden that was supposed to make this huge hit in console sales.

X1 outselling the 360 by far in the same time period... PS4 beating it.. just like the Wii was beating the 360. It happens. TitanFall was the best selling game of the month though. Just like PS4 was the top selling console. And as someone said earlier, they didn't even count digital downloads... which my copy is. :)

We'll be fine.

We'll?

Toki767

So wait, Titanfall was the top selling software, yet PS4 was still the top Hardware?

How does that even work?

I hope this means there's a chance we may see South Park on the PS4.

It means most people who wanted to buy Titanfall already bought an Xbox One.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Despite the Xbox being behind, the transition to next gen is going pretty smoothly.
Nintendo better do something to get more Wii U's sold.

probably the best post in the thread. system really isnt doing bad at the 5 month rate. just not doing PS4 numbers.

Nintendo is asking themself the same question.

In a serious note, wtf? They won't release any PR statement? That doesn't sounds good. Did they ever missed a PR release after the NPD numbers came out?

Yes several times. I'm pretty sure they missed ones January and I think September

Great job Sony. It's well deserved. It looks like it's over for MS at this point without a big price cut to place it cheaper than the PS4. Microsoft will just rush their next system out to try to beat Sony to the punch. I wouldn't be surprised to see MS release the new Xbox in 2017 if they actually do release another console. Atleast they won't be able to buy off 3rd party exclusives hopefully as it would be too big of an investment with a much smaller install base.

Nzyme32

Whoosh!
It's a meme :)
Can you explain it? No one is enlightening me. I literally haven't owned a console since early 360/Wii days and this is my first time actually looking at an NPD thread rather than article. I'm guessing the meme relates to one of them

Daingurse

Wow, wtf is MS supposed to do now? If Titanfall couldn't prop up the XB1, what would the next momentum shifting game even be? Not a single title comes to mind, is this a "wait till E3" situation now?

Kiote

I don't understand the anxiety over the Xbox One's performance. Yes, it's being beaten by the PS4 even in a good month and it likely won't sell as well as the 360 lifetime, but people are reacting like this thing is the Wii U or something. It's still selling fairly well.

Prolly stems from the Board looking to Sell the brand rumors. Nintendo only has it's Nintendos. Microsoft can cut out the dead weight.

We'll be fine.
PS3 made most of its sales outside of America. Xbox One does not.

What proof do you have? Sold a million in 9 days. Was always the first first AAA game for PS4 like TF was for X1. And came in at number 2 on the NPD with no bundle and a later launch release.

It sold well, yeah. But no one went around claiming it was going to be the evolution of its genre. A bunch of media outlets acted like Titanfall was going to turn FPS upside down and revolutionize how the games are played. No one felt that way about inFamous.

Because that's not gaming.

Go play something good. Like Hotline Miami or Mario 3D World or TearAway
Or Knack. Sometimes 'ya just gotta smash stuff up when you're angry.

This pretty much proves that TitanFall was already a factor in selling the Xbox One prior to March. People weren't waiting and then jumping onboard. They were the same crowd that wanted an Xbox One as soon as possible. Nothing wrong with that inherently, but surely Microsoft was hoping it would both sell to previous owners and inspire a surge in new buyers.
Yep. It's not like w/ Wii U where a large # of people are waiting until MK8, Smash or Mario 64-like to come out to buy it. TitanFall probably close to tapped out its initial base by February, w/ that massive upsurge in that month.

That said I think TF will have something of a slow-burn effect at least for the next few months. It probably sold, at the least, 600k in NA in March. Should do ~1.5 million here before E3, atvl.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The X1 lost in sales for the Month. Good job Sony. PS4 stronger and less expensive helps as well, as everybody knows but for some reason thought the "it's COD with mechs game" and the "doesn't look like a next gen game" Now all of a sudden that was supposed to make this huge hit in console sales.

All of a sudden? People were thinking this since E3 last year and especially once MS got the console exclusive.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm not salty at all, I just think NeoGAF was generally more excited for Infamous than Titanfall.

Titanfall threads were huge, but mostly because of the anti-hype.

TBF Infamous review thread was equally huge, there was a lot of antagonism on both sides. Both were hyped on GAF though no doubt about that. Measuring hype is a nebulous affair outside of extremes.

Piggus

What can MS do with piles of cash on the games front this year? Snagging up GTA V next gen (timed) exclusivity?

lol.

People always use this excuse that MS has piles of cash to throw at devs but the reality is that they will only spend a lot of money if they think they will see a return on their investment. And as the gap between the two systems widens, it becomes prohibitively expensive for them to buy big AAA exclusives to the point where they know they will never see that ROI.

Basic business stuff here.

Top Bottom