• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

Hoje0308

Banned
MrK2PXY.gif

I expect to see this more often.

I know next to nothing about either library, but my impression from the sidelines is that it's in no better or worse position with software than Sony is. $399 vs $499, or even an "unofficial" $449, is just an unfavorable position to be in. I think if they drop the price, they can get close. I don't know that they could ever win, maybe just lead the odd month here or there. But without parity, there's simply no chance. None.

So you think Sony is just going to sit there and watch MS drop the price and do nothing? This mythical universe where MS drops the price to $399 and Sony sits there must be really fun to think about but it isn't going to happen.

PS4 doesn't have much to offer, either..

It has something to offer considering the massive sales.

Foffy

Banned
Just meant for the Month. :) But ya, I hear ya...

And to those with the doom and gloom that MS is done for.. uh, the 360 did great, and this little one here

That seems like they're doing and gonna be just fine.

You can compare it to the past, but they were at a different point in the industry in the past. Be mindful that this "system seller" had to be bundled with the system, along with various, various discounts. And it still sold less as a platform than it did the month prior.

How do you not see this as an issue? That's a big fucking uh oh. Their major game couldn't move hardware, had to be discounted and bundled, and STILL didn't move a lot. This happened with Super Mario 3D World and the Wii U. People thought that game would move the system, and it barely did.

JimiNutz

Banned
MS really need a BIG showing at E3 to turn this around...
X1 not outselling PS4 in the US for Titanfall month is the first legitimate sales shock this gen so far.

I love my X1 but clearly I'm in the minority. If MS don't turn this around soon it's gonna be beyond repair.

Dragon

Banned
As much as I'm intrenched in the PS4 I still want to see Xbone succeed. I wouldn't be surprised if MS goes full bore and buy's up some big exclusives that nobody we'll see coming. Some kind of exclusive with the next GTA or possibly a new Red Dead is something I could really see happening at this point.

That would be incredibly dumb on Rockstar's part. Incredibly.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This pretty much proves that TitanFall was already a factor in selling the Xbox One prior to March. People weren't waiting and then jumping onboard. They were the same crowd that wanted an Xbox One as soon as possible. Nothing wrong with that inherently, but surely Microsoft was hoping it would both sell to previous owners and inspire a surge in new buyers.

Kuchera is right about NPD not counting digital sales, and who knows how many Xbox Ones were sold digitally in March. This could be huge.

Nice. What a joke for anyone to be questioning these numbers in any meaningful way.

Dead

well not really...yet
What can MS do with piles of cash on the games front this year? Snagging up GTA V next gen (timed) exclusivity?
By that time PS4 will have such a lead, I dont think any amount of money could convince Take 2 to make GTA6 xbone exclusive.

Rolf NB

What's a reasonable upper bound for channel capacity worldwide? I.e. amount of stock before every retailer bursts and explodes. 3.5 Million?

Looks like I'm having crow for breakfast. Thought XBone would push ahead with Titanfall. I hope Sony don't rest on their laurels and really bring it at E3 though.

So you think Sony is just going to sit there and watch MS drop the price and do nothing? This mythical universe where MS drops the price to $399 and Sony sits there must be really fun to think about but it isn't going to happen.

No, I've said that I think Sony will match Microsoft if threatened. I think the one unmatched move Microsoft can get away with is dropping Kinect from the box. Sony might even make a small adjustment in response to that, so it's no given. But short of removing Kinect, there's likely not to be any wiggle room for Microsoft that doesn't also exist for Sony, short of Microsoft simply being able to bleed through more cash, if it comes to that (which I've also stated that I do not believe Microsoft has the will to do).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Microsoft really should price match the PS4 in US with a game bundled, it's already being done unofficially in UK and seems to be doing quite. Everyone knew the more expensive console with the weaker hardware and the PR nightmare that it had was not going to fly. They should just bite the bullet and sell the console more inline with consumer expectation.

That's is if they plan to truly compete with the PS4.

As much as I'm intrenched in the PS4 I still want to see Xbone succeed. I wouldn't be surprised if MS goes full bore and buy's up some big exclusives that nobody we'll see coming. Some kind of exclusive with the next GTA or possibly a new Red Dead is something I could really see happening at this point.
You think Microsoft is going to throw half a billion or so needed to lock up a game of that size?

dakun

i doubt it.. not that the intention might be there.. but investing tens of millions in a third party exclusive after Titanfall obviously didn't do much for them.. some higher ups might have a problem with that..
since MS just bought Gears i'm sure that's what they are betting on.. and i think it's a big mistake

Kiote

It has something to offer considering the massive sales.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised in Sony cut's Microsoft off at the knees and Price Drops first. They have been playing particularly brutal this cycle. They would have to solve the supply problem of course, but they should probably have that figured out and in motion by now.

Congrats to PS4 for being able to lead sales even when the Xbox One had what is arguably its best exclusive this year out.

Still, congrats to MS as well. Competition is healthy and they aren't doing bad at all, unlike what some of the internet might make you think. I'd still like to see actual sales numbers and not shipped numbers.

Finally great to see Stick of Truth selling well. I thought it was a niche title, but Obsidian deserves a good selling game.

MS really need a BIG showing at E3 to turn this around...
X1 not outselling PS4 in the US for Titanfall month is the first legitimate sales shock this gen so far.

I love my X1 but clearly I'm in the minority. If MS don't turn this around soon it's gonna be beyond repair.

I don't understand the anxiety over the Xbox One's performance. Yes, it's being beaten by the PS4 even in a good month and it likely won't sell as well as the 360 lifetime, but people are reacting like this thing is the Wii U or something. It's still selling fairly well.

Take 2, Bethesda, Activision, Ubisoft and pretty much any publisher not EA is firmly in the PS camp this generation. If anything I'd expect a GTAV PS4 bundle/co marketing deal just like they did for the PS3.

Stuff like this just doesn't happen anymore.

It's over, period. Microsoft lost their last ace, and that's the end of their Xbox One hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for Xbox One. Microsoft has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a Xbox One. Except if they want to play Titanfall. Which will also come to PS4 at some point.

Sony took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a Xbox One over a PS4 (except TV SPORTS KINECT LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny titles that will be nice but won't stir up any sales is not going to salvage the bloated, overdesigned behemoth that was Xbox One.

There may be some hardcore gamer's that stick around. Some did it for Gamecube. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of Microsoft is done.

The working man's post right here. Solid effort 8.5/10

AdanVC

Yeah it's depressing that Nintendo is not even bothering on release a statement or something. It must be all red numbers for Wii U considering each and every single console had retail game releases on March and Wii U just had VC games such as... Volleyball.

Krakn3Dfx

I know next to nothing about either library, but my impression from the sidelines is that it's in no better or worse position with software than Sony is.

Xbone ~38 games
PS4-54 games

Plus they have PS Plus and F2P dropping quite a few freebies on the system monthly, and no need to pay for Plus if you want to access the apps on the PS4.

I think the PS4 would look a lot better to the buying public at this point, price not withstanding.

Ranger X

And what's this doom and gloom for the Xbone? Is it selling less than the 360 did after the same number of months? I don't think so. So why is it in trouble? Everyone who isn't in first place we should worry about? You guys were panicking for PS3 and X360 last gen because the Wii was selling a shitons more??

Top Bottom