• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

ghst

thanks for the laugh
ecstatic to see splatoon best a pack of six month old multiplats and for the PS4 soar to the top in a month where hardware is down 20%.

industry has never been in better shape.

lol

Some people can't accept the fact that Splatoon actually seems to be doing well worldwide. It's a single SKU at #5 with two days of sales tracking. Two. Days.

Also, Wii U is a much healthier platform in NA than it is in Japan.

I agree that Splatoon is problably overperfoming expectations worldwide (and especially in Japan), but that emphasis on two days doesnt mean as much as you think it means. Game sales are incredibly, and i mean incredibly frontloaded. This has been proven hundreds of times and yet every time a game releases at the end of the NPD reporting period people hope and believe that the game will chart next month because of continued sales but thats not how it works for these games.

But still i am glad that Splatoon is doing well considering the circumstances. It will probably pass the 1 million mark right guys? Legit question.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
ecstatic to see splatoon best a pack of six month old multiplats and for the PS4 soar to the top in a month where hardware is down 20%.

Splatoon - 2 days
8 gen hardware stable YoY

It sold more than a bunch of games that has been on the market for months.

Did you expect it to sell less than MLB 15: The Show?

See above.

I wait for the numbers now. Too many people being upset by this, inkredible.

SmokyDave

The Vita was the keystone to the entire gaming industry. It was the plug in the gaming bath.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I agree that Splatoon is problably overperfoming expectations worldwide (and especially in Japan), but that emphasis on two days doesnt mean as much as you think it means. Game sales are incredibly, and i mean incredibly frontloaded. This has been proven hundreds of times and yet every time a game releases at the end of the NPD reporting period people hope and believe that the game will chart next month because of continued sales but thats not how it works for these games.

Splatoon is likely not going to be frontloaded if I'm not mistaken. Mario Kart 8 for example sold more in June than May. It's very possible Splatoon might do the same, even if it's selling to the exact same people via word of mouth, etc. Nintendo has continued to market it, put out updates constantly to keep people playing the game, etc. We'll see though, although Amazon monthly charts have been fairly promising so far for June.

Actually, many Nintendo games aren't nearly as frontloaded as those from other publishers. It is entirely possible that word of mouth will keep Splatoon's sales healthy for the remainder of the year.

Sakura

I agree most games are front loaded, but there are also plenty that are not front loaded. Many Nintendo titles for example. It's hard to say whether Splatoon will be or not.

I agree though. 5th place doesn't mean anything without context. 5th place could be any where from 50k to 100k for all I know.

Santiako

I wonder if this gen was very front loaded due to fatigue from old consoles, but will fail to get to 360 numbers by the end.

RagnarokX

A lot of their development was focused on the Mii stuff (Wii Sports, Wii Fit etc.) and other games like Nintendogs and Brain Age, all of which got at least a sequel or two. Since they weren't core-focused though they don't come up in conversations like this.

Splatoon is the first major new character-driven IP since Pikmin, I'd say.
Splatoon isn't character driven. The single player story is barebones and you play as a generic avatar with no character development whatsoever. Why are we ignoring stuff like Xenoblade, Captain Toad, Wonderful 101, Code Name STEAM, etc?

Xbone 2nd May sales lagging behind PS3 2nd May sales. That's bad for the bone. Maybe their "Greatest games ever" lineup at E3 will finally spark some interest in the platform /shrug. PS4 doing spectacular as usual. Leads in HW/SW, top 3 spots in SW, 6/10 slots overall. Sony must be pleased with their numbers heading into E3. Hope they can match MS's "greatest E3 lineup ever" though.

That observation is very important, but it is specially so for stablished IPs.

More over, it seems to be the Nintendo game that has sold more consoles after launch, besting other known and stablished franchises.

Mory Dunz

Splatoon isn't character driven. The single player story is barebones and you play as a generic avatar with no character development whatsoever. Why are we ignoring stuff like Xenoblade, Captain Toad, Wonderful 101, Code Name STEAM, etc?

Well, the original comment was about new IPs that "stuck" as in had decent sales or a sequel I assume. So Steam, w101, and toad wouldn't count yet.

But there's been a number of other examples of new IPs since Pikmin that qualify so yeah.

Sakura

Because when people say new Nintendo IP they generally only mean Nintendo in-house developed, console, and whatever other qualifiers needed so they can say Nintendo hasn't released a new IP in 10+ years.

NateDrake

People, for some reason, don't seem to count franchises not developed in-house by Nintendo.

Ondore

Stupid question: Does anyone recall what we got for a Wii U number last May (2 days of MK8)? I mean, if the best case scenario for the Wii U is near-68k (203 - at least 135k for the PS4), I get the feeling Wii U was down YoY.

allan-bh

Xbone 2nd May sales lagging behind PS3 2nd May sales. That's bad for the bone. Maybe their "Greatest games ever" lineup at E3 will finally spark some interest in the platform /shrug. PS4 doing spectacular as usual. Leads in HW/SW, top 3 spots in SW, 6/10 slots overall. Sony must be pleased with their numbers heading into E3. Hope they can match MS's "greatest E3 lineup ever" though.

That's funny. I agree with your Xbox One analysis but you don't know how much PS4 sold and probably is behind PS3 too.

RagnarokX

Well, the original comment was about new IPs that "stuck" as in had decent sales or a sequel I assume. So Steam, w101, and toad wouldn't count yet.

But there's been a number of other examples of new IPs since Pikmin that qualify so yeah.
No, the original post that started this conversation was about nintendo creating new IPs and investing in more genres. That was a short list. I'm on my phone but there are much bigger lists.

Geg

People, for some reason, don't seem to count franchises not developed in-house by Nintendo.

To be fair, the "first character driven IP since Pikmin" thing was brought up by Iwata (or someone else) in the Iwata Asks for Splatoon. They were definitely only counting EAD games

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
And as Pikmin 3 was the best expected around here for Splatoon some months ago in the NPD threads, I think Pikmin 3 sold 115k in the launching month (launching on August 4th in US). Just as comparison.

Because when people say new Nintendo IP they generally only mean Nintendo in-house developed, console, and whatever other qualifiers needed so they can say Nintendo hasn't released a new IP in 10+ years.
i most admit this. Nintendo gets the most criticism for reusing IP when in reality out of the first party publishers they are the most prolific ones. Even when they reuse characters they some times attach them to fresh game concepts.

Also, Splatton placement withouth context is a too early of a celebration. It would be interesting to see how the console numbers behaved in relation to the previous month and the same one in 2014.

wildfire

Banned
I agree that Splatoon is problably overperfoming expectations worldwide (and especially in Japan), but that emphasis on two days doesnt mean as much as you think it means. Game sales are incredibly, and i mean incredibly frontloaded.

This is generally true but most Nintendo games and certain non Nintendo series like the Sims buck this trend.

If true, this means that consoles are no longer mass market gaming devices, they're luxury goods that people don't buy for themselves any longer but get gifted at holidays.
It also means they're not competing for general entertainment product dollars anymore, they're competing with whatever shows up on "Hot gifts for Him" lists annually.

Isn't this happening with pretty much all eletronics? Holiday season taking bigger and bigger part of the total pie every year. Also I really don't see it as a such a bad thing as long as sales still for the whole year are comparable to past consoles. I still remember during last year when during these same dead months people were dooming PS4/Xbone as the numbers were not that much higher than X360/PS3. Then during holiday season both consoles crushed PS3/X360 numbers. Same will happen this year (especially PS4 compared to PS3 as PS3 had weaker holiday season in 2008 than in 2007)

Top Bottom