• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

Game Guru

It's pretty easy to see the issue with consoles if we're taking a look at digital distribution... If we assume that the mass market as a whole likes getting games digitally which would make some sense given how other forms of media are currently doing, then PC is going to be an all around better choice for digital content than a console would be. If a person is going all digital and doesn't care about exclusives or mobility, then PC is the best choice since a person will always be able to keep their digital game library when they buy newer systems. A person can even buy a PC that's designed to work like a console nowadays at only $50 more.

NotLiquid

Splatoon isn't character driven. The single player story is barebones and you play as a generic avatar with no character development whatsoever. Why are we ignoring stuff like Xenoblade, Captain Toad, Wonderful 101, Code Name STEAM, etc?

Splatoon is character driven the same way Animal Crossing is character driven. The avatar you make is in accordance to parameters defined by it's world, and that character you make is the distinct driving force that the game entirely relies on. There's a reason why it's gotten so iconic character-wise already.

That said I do agree that the mentality of "ignoring" other IPs Nintendo make is silly. I was a huge proponent of TW101 being just that major thing since its an IP that Nintendo owns. But Splatoon is definitely a different beast from the above for obvious reasons, other than Captain Toad, which isnt a new IP but a spinoff.

Alo0oy

Banned
This is generally true but most Nintendo games and certain non Nintendo series like the Sims buck this trend.

It's not even generally true, most AAA titles have very long legs, "front loaded" sales is a myth because to some people, if a game doesn't chart then it sold 0 units for some reason, as if the only games that sold any units are the ones in the chart.

Sure AA & lower tier AAA titles are front loaded, but the vast majority of AAA games have extremely long legs.

DjRalford

I think splatoon will do well enough from its recent positivity through word of mouth to stay in the charts next month, and Yoshi's woolly world will join it.

If not i will eat a whole meateor pizza from dominos!

Krakn3Dfx

ms3hx.jpg

Damn, Splatoon doing really well.

Alo0oy

Banned
It's pretty easy to see the issue with consoles if we're taking a look at digital distribution... If we assume that the mass market as a whole likes getting games digitally which would make some sense given how other forms of media are currently doing, then PC is going to be an all around better choice for digital content than a console would be. If a person is going all digital and doesn't care about exclusives or mobility, then PC is the best choice since a person will always be able to keep their digital game library when they buy newer systems. A person can even buy a PC that's designed to work like a console nowadays at only $50 more.

That's nice & all, except most AAA games sell better on consoles AND most of their sales come from retail & not PSN or XBL.

It's not even generally true, most AAA titles have very long legs, "front loaded" sales is a myth because to some people, if a game doesn't chart then it sold 0 units for some reason, as if the only games that sold any units are the ones in the chart.

Sure AA & lower tier AAA titles are front loaded, but the vast majority of AAA games have extremely long legs.

"Front loaded" doesn't mean a game stops selling after its launch. It simply means the majority of its sales occur during the first month. For many video games, this is true.

Fdkn

Pikmin 3 also launched in early August. I doubt Splatoon sold 115k in two days.

First you go on a rampage about how NA is a lot more healthier than Japan for the WiiU and a few pages later you say Splatoon (that you called impressive) is under 115k?

That doesn't make sense. It should be above that, and I don't think 115 is a huge number at all.

jmizzal

Woah Splatoon up there it was only out 3 days lol

Always remember it was suppose to sale like the wonderful 101 thats what I was told

and its over COD lol

phanphare

Banned
no way, you mean EU is getting it first, doesn't usually happen.

Oh well, off to dominos :)

NoA has been getting the shaft more and more as of recent

see: the $60 price tag of Splatoon in North America vs. every other region

Woah Splatoon up there it was only out 3 days lol

Always remember it was suppose to sale like the wonderful 101 thats what I was told

and its over COD lol

two days actually. NPD didn't track May 31.

Alo0oy

Banned
"Frontloaded" doesn't mean a game stops selling after its launch. It simply means the majority of its sales occur during the first month. For the majority of video games, this is true.

But it's not.

How much did GTA sell in its first month vs LTD? Call of Duty? FIFA? Uncharted 3? The Last of Us? Mario Kart 8? Smash? Gran Turismo 5? Tomb Raider Reboot? God of War 3? Battlefield 4?

The majority of the sales for the above games were outside of the first month.

HylianTom

Banned
Nice to see that Splatoon did well.

I liked the advertising campaign; it seemed to be all over the place for a while.

*sips tea*

First you go on a rampage about how NA is a lot more healthier than Japan for the WiiU and a few pages later you say Splatoon (that you called impressive) is under 115k?

That doesn't make sense. It should be above that, and I don't think 115 is a huge number at all.

lol "rampage" Calm down.

And 115k would be impressive considering the circumstances.

But it's not.

How much did GTA sell in its first month vs LTD? Call of Duty? FIFA? Uncharted 3? The Last of Us? Mario Kart 8? Smash? Gran Turismo 5? Tomb Raider Reboot? God of War 3? Battlefield 4?

The majority of the sales for the above games were outside of the first month.

Do CoD games really sell the majority of their units after the launch month? Genuine question.

GTA is definitely an exception. It's one of the biggest evergreen titles in the industry.

rokkerkory

wow crappy month for the industry :(

hopefully E3 can bring back some sales

also, pretty low month for X1, wondering what the PS4 numbers are

Alo0oy

Banned
Do CoD games really sell the majority after their launch month? Genuine question.

GTA is definitely an exception. It's one of the biggest evergreen titles in the industry.

Yes, Call of Duty sells 20-25 million, first month sales are usually less than 10 million.

All of the games I mentioned sold more after their first month, you might find a game like RE6 that is extremely front-loaded, but that's because the game had poor reception.

Geg

I interpreted that as meaning he didn't think it sold as little as 115k though that could be wrong. I'm sure it probably sold more than that as well

I just wish Nintendo would break its silence about this. Maybe tomorrow.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
We don't know how long the legs of Splatoon will be, but we have some hints about that and about how frontloaded its sales are:

• second week in Japan it maintained the 1st place with a second week above 90% sell-through rate and still sold out in couple of places: it also caused Wii U sales to actually increase compared to first week
  • second week in UK maintained its place (after the Witcher 3 PS4 & Xbone) with a 50% drop while normal drop for second week is around 70-75%
  • maintained 2nd place in Germany for the 2nd week

fsckit

Neo Member
That would be up to how the retailer decided to report it to NPD.

That's probably not the case given GAAP rules.

From RevenueRecognition.com:

Layaway Plans
These are found in most department stores and, to a degree, in discount stores. In a layaway plan, the customer pays for the merchandise over time and then takes possession of the merchandise at a future date. The SEC has found that recognition of any revenue received from the customer must be deferred until the merchandise is available to the customer according to SAB 104.

Although, as with refundable membership fees, only publicly traded retailers need be concerned about this rule, privately held companies should follow this public standard because of the analogy to “bill-and-hold” transactions. The payments made by the customer are retailer liabilities, and unclaimed merchandise is still the property, as before, of the merchant. The financial accounting and legal rules are therefore in agreement that no sale has taken place in a layaway (or bill-and-hold) arrangement for either the publicly traded or the privately held retailer.

Majestad

Banned
Those top selling games in general are fantastic for the industry. Splatoon, MK, The Witcher... Damn, what a good time to be a gamer.

It will be very interesting to see how X1 can counter all the Sony hype and exclusives that will start hitting soon and into 16. Seems it is going to be a very hard nut to crack. Sony doesn't even have to drop the damn price if they don't want to, but I think they want some huge sales coming soon.

Top Bottom